Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It (862 Views)

Marine Spirit Possesses 60 Percent Of Ladies Especially From Places With Rivers. / Abuja Residents Decry Indecent Dressing In Places Of Worship / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by Rendezvou: 3:01pm On Oct 18, 2015
Many of us are aware of the recent closure of some places of worship (mostly churches) by the Lagos State government as a result of various complaints from nearby residents claiming they were disturbing the serenity of their neighbourhood.
www.nairaland.com/2558926/22-noisy-churches-shut-down
www.tori.ng/news/.../22-noisy-churches-shut-down-in-lagos-state

As a Nigerian who thinks right, I cannot deny the fact that many times I feel disturbed by loud noises coming from churches and mosques that are only a stone throw from my abode. I also sometimes feel we are disrupting somebody's sleep whenever my church is holding a vigil and the loud prayers and shouting could be heard over 200 meters away. It is not something debatable that noises stemming from many places of worship have constituted nuisances. Nigerians, even though they know their rights, are generally religious and not litigious. So they accept the incessant unpleasant disturbances even if it is detrimental to their health and move on. Let us consider one or more of the following suggestions on how we could pray and praise our God without disrupting the peace of others:

1. Do Not Build Churches/Mosques at the Heart of Residences- Churches located at residential borders, along major roads, commercial/office and industrial areas are less likely to disrupt anyone’s sleep or peace. I was in a church seminar few days back where a woman said her father had to secure another apartment where he goes to rest and sleep whenever the church beside his house has programme or vigil in order to save his ailing health. What if he couldn’t afford to get another apartment? What about other poor neighbours who are also old, weak and sick?

2. Build Sound Proof Places of Worship- I know many churches with diminutive congregation may not be financially buoyant to build sound proof structures or install sound proof systems but Its an option to really consider if your church could afford it. With this, occupants of buildings few meters away from the church may begin to doubt if worshippers gather to pray or hold secret meetings.

3. Remove Horn Speakers- Noises from some places of worship would have been bearable without the speakers mounted outside. Some mosques and churches encompass their buildings with more horn speakers than with electric bulbs. I once lived in a community some years back where early calls to prayers were often echoed from several horn speakers from about four different mosques before dawn. At that moment you are only left with the option of waking up.

4. Reduce the Volume of Your Engine Set (PAS)- Once the congregation can hear the sounds coming from the microphones and the musical instruments clearly then its just ok. Do not amplify your engine unnecessarily. I stay beside a speaker due to my role in the church and honestly, my left hear often blocks few minutes into the service and reopens hours after the service and sometimes the next day because of the noise level.

5. Pray Fervent Prayers at the Right Time and in the Right Place- I understand that there are some challenges that require violent prayers involving shouting and crying aloud. That is the essence of prayer mountains, prayer cities, prayer camps et cetera. They are often situated in isolated places or on the hills where several people cry aloud unto the Lord round the clock without becoming nuisance to anyone.

6. Do Not Turn Deaf Ear to Complaints- Do not Label Complainants as enemies or devils. Get field back from your neighbourhood whether noises from the church is affecting them. Listen to complaints; explore ways by which you can minimize the noise. Apologise if necessary and do not raise prayer points of ‘kill them’, ‘relocate them’, ‘shut their mouth’ and the likes on complainants. If their complaints are not genuine because they are simply enemies of your faith, your God knows how to silence them which he will surely do if you are worshiping the true God in spirit and in truth.

Happy Sunday!

1 Like

Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by Beesluv: 3:07pm On Oct 18, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by LEOSIRSIR(m): 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2015
In nigeria I really don't think all this can work
Preaching the Gospel doesn't mean it should come with noise, same goes for the muslim brothers too
Even in western countries when its time for muslim prayers muezins still make the call loudly
Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2015
I'm telling you, its getting too much. There is one near my hostel, dey re so loud. As if dat wasn't enuf, yesterday we heard dem translating to pidgin while d pastor was preaching

1 Like

Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by mikewonder(m): 3:19pm On Oct 18, 2015
churches everywhere even in my bedroom angry
Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by ginteriors: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2015
Very good ideas for noise control.
Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by graciousolo(m): 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2015
as in eeh... for sch mosque dey on top my head, I come my Sis place now and there are churches all around us. Sometimes I just feel like crying.

You can't tell me Jesus or Mohammed would have disturbed people with their noise. But our very religious society will hardly see anytin wrong with it.

If I had the power, I would have closed all of them sinceeee.
Re: Noises From Places Of Worship- How Can We Control It by EyeBeeK(m): 6:41am On Mar 01, 2017

(1) (Reply)

We Need Urgent Help In Our Nysc Camp... / Reasons Why The 'Love The Sinner,hate The Sin (LTSHTS)' is abominable! / The Bread Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.