Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,568 members, 7,837,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi (53129 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / N-Power Admin Responds To Grammatical Error Of Graduate Of English On Their Page / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 19, 2015
english is not our mother tongue.

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by macaranta(m): 10:11am On Oct 19, 2015
k
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by 3Dimension: 10:12am On Oct 19, 2015
But this is what the dictionary has to say about "comity of nations"

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by zicoraads: 10:13am On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
Those with such an error are either the hausa nominees or igbo nominees. I trust my yoruba nominees, fashola, fayemi, adeosun, shittu and the rest.
I am very sure you didn't read the article at all.

3 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by simdam500(m): 10:15am On Oct 19, 2015
Sit there and keep criticising spoken English while the Senate are making billions of Naira in a sit meeting undecided

3 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by nochildsplay(m): 10:18am On Oct 19, 2015
Nigga, are you this jobless ? @OP

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by dewaskillz: 10:19am On Oct 19, 2015
"my names are" is correct. you can check the Oxford dictionary to confirm that for yourself. the opening appendices
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by BabaO2: 10:19am On Oct 19, 2015
makzeze:
Farooq kperogi wrote:

source:http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-my-names-are-comity-of-states-and-other-ministerial-screening-grammatical-murders/115470.html
Struggling for relevance. You can't even explain why 'my name is not are'. My name is, is a unique identification. if you have changed your name before you cant use it again.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by theunusualmoon(m): 10:20am On Oct 19, 2015
Some of the comments above are really saddening.Anyway, kudos to the OP and kperogi.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by BabaO2: 10:22am On Oct 19, 2015
3Dimension:
But this is what the dictionary has to say about "comity of nations"

The guy is a fo0l seeking for relevance, delete him.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Africanpride: 10:24am On Oct 19, 2015
English is not our first language, despite the fact is an official language does not mean we wont make mistakes.

How many English people proud themselves as speaking your language.

Poster abeg you park well make i nor tell you something i nor supposed talk idiotsss

3 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by menxer: 10:27am On Oct 19, 2015
timijoseph01:
That awkward moment ur lexis n stucture textbook gives a correction.. But the correct sentence isnt even pleasant to the hearing.

I concur.
Sometimes we make mistakes because the proper phrase to use sounds nonsensical but correct.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 19, 2015
nochildsplay:
Nigga, are you this jobless ? @OP

He is a Professor of English.....so it is his job to point out the errors.

Especially as WASSCE hopefuls may be watching, and might think that the mistakes made therein are the right thing.

And even I that wrote WAEC a loooong time ago has learned a thing or two.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by telim: 10:27am On Oct 19, 2015
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by donciccio: 10:28am On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
Those with such an error are either the hausa nominees or igbo nominees. I trust my yoruba nominees, fashola, fayemi, adeosun, shittu and the rest.

I know you're being sarcastic but I say don't be bigoted too. Pls learn to read you'll sure have something to gain.

ppl like u wrote or 'll write WAEC and come out to say I've finished them, I gave them assignment or I've killed them. Only to see your result and say.. "dem give KHAYGOLD F9"

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2015
Africanpride:
English is not our first language, despite the fact is an official language does not mean we wont make mistakes.

How many English people proud themselves as speaking your language.

Poster abeg you park well make i nor tell you something i nor supposed talk idiotsss

Dr Kperoogi is a English lecturer at an American University....so it is his right to make the needful corrections.

And yes....English is not our language....but it is the official language of Nigeria.....as well as a growing international language...so it ought to be spoken properly.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Goldpeas(m): 10:30am On Oct 19, 2015
hmmm nawa So u didn't watch the ministerial screening from A-Z and all you come here to say is How wrongly they've abuse the use of English.... come to think of it, there are still great or even greater Nations than Nigeria (ask china)who do NOT speak English in any national political gathering.... What is wrong with us? has a good use of English help better our economy? y'all need to stop beefing and start giving solutions to our (Nigerian ) numerous problems...

Thank you and if u want to quote me, don't beef!

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by maestroz: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2015
makzeze:
Farooq kperogi wrote:

source:http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-my-names-are-comity-of-states-and-other-ministerial-screening-grammatical-murders/115470.html

if only you knew that this talent of yours would not get you a house on banana island like lindaikeji. I would advise you be a PA to obahiagbon so you pique on his very many grammatical blunders so you can become popular.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by engrjacuzzi: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2015
for writing this very nice article, kindly send me your phone number so I can send to you MTN 100 card and a pack of chivita 100% fruit know full well that you did a nice work.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by agitator: 10:31am On Oct 19, 2015
tosyne2much:
I mean what's the big deal about that ?

If one can commit blunders when speaking his native language, why should castigation follow suite that of English ? Smh

And you are one of the people who castigated and is still castigating Patience Jonathan online for her wrong grammar.

The writer tried to educate the young ones. If you don't know, students learn by listening to news cast, role models, etc.

It is noteworthy that most people using the expression "my names are," are copying Wole Soyinka because he is a Nobel laureate. Students who use this expression in an English Language exam would be penalized.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by onyibajoe(m): 10:31am On Oct 19, 2015
Ballmer:

Correcting that does not necessitate your balderdash here. The dude can be corrected but in a subtle manner not with more tongue lashing which you are preaching against.
I think it's a time to reap.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Jonnazo: 10:32am On Oct 19, 2015
Their stomach infrastructure will not let them pay for a good secretary, some that pays well, employ foreign graduate, not knowing that sometimes, they end up paying for packaging not content. Despite their looting that has resulted to the dilapidation of our educational system, still most of us work through Thin ways to still be the best in our career. Some ministers show charity to their relations or Community by employing "Aunty Eliza" as their Secretary. In this case Grammatical murder is Expected.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Osakah24(m): 10:33am On Oct 19, 2015
APC are bloody murderers, *they have murdered PDP * they have murdered Truth * Now they are murdering English language.
where there is murder, Wailers abound. Up Wailers ( food is ready)
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Lokospirit(m): 10:33am On Oct 19, 2015
Well the only reasonable point u made was number four ,about WHO.u are right.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by osazeeblue01: 10:34am On Oct 19, 2015
NOTED.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by mathelo(m): 10:36am On Oct 19, 2015
Excellent critique; thanks

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by tosyne2much(m): 10:37am On Oct 19, 2015
agitator:

And you are one of the people who castigated and is still castigating Patience Jonathan online for her wrong grammar.

The writer tried to educate the young ones. If you don't know students learn by listening to news cast, roll models, etc.

It is note worthy that most people using the expression "my names are," are copying Wole Sonyinka because he is a Nobel laureate. Students who use this expression in an English Language exam would be penalized.
Well, I have no choice than subscribe to your point cool

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by TeamSimple(m): 10:38am On Oct 19, 2015
I had trade my B.a (hons) degree in english language just to be on that list. Who grammar help
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by BYEI(m): 10:39am On Oct 19, 2015
God bless u op for this write-up, most especially that No1 on "my names are". My secondary school (English) teacher has lectured our class on that blunder 9 years ago and I still find it hard that our leaders are still making that mistake not only senator wammako but also that senator from Yobe. It's absurd.
God bless my oral English teacher Mr Wayer.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by nochildsplay(m): 10:39am On Oct 19, 2015
bushdoc9919:

He is a Professor of English.....so it is his job to point out the errors.

Especially as WASSCE hopefuls may be watching, and might think that the mistakes made therein are the right thing.

And even I that wrote WAEC a loooong time ago has learned a thing or two.

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Earthkumy(m): 10:43am On Oct 19, 2015
tonytony208:

Learn to be objective and reasonable.

Why would some people want to pull others down, ridicule others and make them feel bad?

Your way of life is very bad. You should change.

It must be very difficult being you.

You see nothing good in what others do. This is really bad of you.

The gentleman saw mistakes and he pointed them out; see the way you responded as if you are suffering from inferiority complex.

You are a silly muffon
don't mind him, his likes are the reasons why Nigerian youth are being called bad names.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by dyn1800: 10:44am On Oct 19, 2015
If I fire and you dodge I don't care na beginning of craze be that.... Language is all about expression

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The First Set Of Medical Doctors At The University Of Ibadan (Photo) / ABU Lecturer Caught In Female Hostel Disguised With A Veil / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.