Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,419 members, 7,836,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi (53127 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / N-Power Admin Responds To Grammatical Error Of Graduate Of English On Their Page / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by fpeter(f): 11:36am On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:
With all these english... I am still asking why ur name wasnt included in the list.. Another erroe maybe..

grin cheesy
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by femtoj2: 11:41am On Oct 19, 2015
1. “My names are.” I was told that several senators (or is it ministerial nominees; forgive me because I didn’t watch the whole live or recorded broadcast) introduced themselves by saying “my names are….” Well, as I have written in several articles, that’s illiterate English.
The conventional expression is “my name is” irrespective of the number of names of you have. 1. “My names are.” I was told that several senators (or is it ministerial nominees; forgive me because I didn’t watch the whole live or recorded broadcast) introduced themselves by saying “my names are….” Well, as I have written in several articles, that’s illiterate English.

Is this a typo error? kindly educate me.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by ExInferis(m): 11:42am On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:
With all these english... I am still asking why ur name wasnt included in the list.. Another erroe maybe..

Even your "error" is an error

<< Kperogi mode activated >>

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by morbeta(m): 11:49am On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:

Don't mind these unexposed internet Professors. They want to speak English more than Scots, irish, Germans, French, americans,japanese, chinese,russians etc. What we want is "Let them do the job"
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by anigbajumo(m): 11:50am On Oct 19, 2015
So, good grammar=good governance......

Awon werey,am less concern about their grammatical murders.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by selab: 11:57am On Oct 19, 2015
there is no one born above mistake
mistakes or not they are there already worh harder to get there too...
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Baboo13(m): 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2015
Good one from the op, at least I've learnt something. Its just that the correct expressions you've given would not sound correct when you say them

Its just better to avoid them.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Baboo13(m): 12:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
femtoj2:
1. “My names are.” I was told that several senators (or is it ministerial nominees; forgive me because I didn’t watch the whole live or recorded broadcast) introduced themselves by saying “my names are….” Well, as I have written in several articles, that’s illiterate English.
The conventional expression is “my name is” irrespective of the number of names of you have. 1. “My names are.” I was told that several senators (or is it ministerial nominees; forgive me because I didn’t watch the whole live or recorded broadcast) introduced themselves by saying “my names are….” Well, as I have written in several articles, that’s illiterate English.

Is this a typo error? kindly educate me.

You obviously can see it. Why pick on something irrelevant?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Baboo13(m): 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2015
anigbajumo:
So, good grammar=good governance......
Awon werey,am less concern about their grammatical murders.

Just learn from it and move on.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by musicwriter(m): 12:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
This's one of the saddest thing I've ever read from a Nigerian. The worst part is many are here cheering an intellectual slave, whose only interest is to correct grammatical errors when men are busy moving the country forward.

1. What has been Farooq's contribution to the literary development of his own native Hausa language?.

2. How has this Farooq impacted on our own native languages?. Namely; Hausa, Igbo, Fulani, Yoruba, Efik, Igala, Urhobo, Ibibio, Kanuri, Nupe, e.t.c.

3. Can this Farooq write a letter in his own Hausa or Fulani language?.

4. Can Farooq tell me the meaning of; Download, Upload, Database, Website, Click, Homepage, in his native language?.

If he can't do the above, can he be said to be really educated?. Your guess is as good as mine.

Education does not mean speaking English fluently. Education does not mean speaking French fluently.

Unless, the ministerial screening was an English class, this man is suffering a disease I've diagnosed as intellectual slavery.

Indeed, intellectual slavery is the most dangerous legacy of colonialism. Details: http://www.africason.com/2015/10/intellectual-slavery-most-dangerous.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Ebyce(f): 12:25pm On Oct 19, 2015
modath:

Why do we keep making allowances for mediocrity

By pointing these things out, I'm sure a lot of people will learn a thing or two...

There is dignity in labour, he doesn't have to be a minister or a senator to be respected..

honesty I learnt alot from this article!
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Ebyce(f): 12:28pm On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
Those with such an error are either the hausa nominees or igbo nominees. I trust my yoruba nominees, fashola, fayemi, adeosun, shittu and the rest.

mind you the writer mentioned fashola and fayemi
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by modath(f): 12:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ebyce:

honesty I learnt alot from this article!

MnenaSadiku:

You are right. I took my time to read through & I have actually learnt a thing or two from the OP.

Thank you ma'ams, appreciate the feedback..
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by cradleafrica(m): 12:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
His assertion or observation(s) are for our education.As a student of Int'l Studies & Diplomacy and currently pursuing masters degree in Military History in NDA,his observations are right & correct.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Iyoma2(f): 12:38pm On Oct 19, 2015
Osho baba will say. ..... haki paki, cotract, cogratulashos, thak you. does that stop him From being d gov? Fashola Fayemi are Now ministers u are there writing down their English erros. shina peters say gramma No be my language. e concern u oh No be me.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by fabre4: 12:47pm On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
Those with such an error are either the hausa nominees or igbo nominees. I trust my yoruba nominees, fashola, fayemi, adeosun, shittu and the rest.

Fool must you bring your tribalism to nairaland. so Fayemi is a Tiv man?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by landinfo: 12:48pm On Oct 19, 2015
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by MrPedro: 12:49pm On Oct 19, 2015
makzeze:
Farooq kperogi wrote:

source:http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-my-names-are-comity-of-states-and-other-ministerial-screening-grammatical-murders/115470.html

While your linguistic zeal for grammatical services should be applauded, I dare say your hounding of what seemingly appeared itself an agrammatic usage of English Language, especially in what obviously is conventionally correct, is not only absurd, but uncalled for, and lacking in merit. First, in trying to untie an erring goat trapped in the cunning knot of its rope, you ended up strangling that goat to death. Your inability to see beyond your nose, the complexity as well as flexibility of modern days Grammar, especially, pertaining that vast particle of variant linguistic mood, orientation, culture, not ignoring the correlative verbiage of conflicting antecedent in common linguistic "unionhood".

Starting with the erroneous vehicle through which you conveyed other dastardly errors and in truth, some alleged erroneous facts, one begins to wonder whether the intention is a good one or purely motivated and whether for selfish reasons or out of sheer ignorance. One of such blunders can be seen in the following excerpt:
"Second, I thought it
was unfair to pillory the grammatical
infractions of people who were speaking under
pressure since, in any event, in speech, we
don’t usually have the deliberateness,
forethought, and self-correction that we bring
to bear when we write.".. First error here is the obvious, "the grammatical infractions of people.." This is not only ungrammatical, but woefully misleading! "Infraction" means the violation or infringement of a law or agreement. However, this was "epithetly transferred" from law to grammar which, obviously is not a grammatical offence. However, for pluralising it, you dealt a gruesome blow on the face to Grammar! This is because there is only one element, "Grammar" and as such, must maintain its singularity! Unless the elements are above one, eg, "the grammatical and political infractions of .." Second the following :
" in speech, we
don’t usually have the deliberateness,
forethought, and self-correction that we bring
to bear when we write.".. Really? Is "Deliberateness" and "self-correction" compatible? This is a violation of the grammatic term known as "grapheme-morpheme correspondences". How? Simple! The noun form of "deliberate" is "deliberation" while that of "self-correct" is "self-correction" on the one hand, while the "NESSive" form of both are "deliberateness" and "self-correctioness" respectively, on the other hand. So why mix both?

Furthermore, on the issue of "My Names", your argument is shallow. First, the correctness of both are still heavily debated by Grammarians. Now, if I have many names and I use "my names are". I am not correct neither am I wrong. That is convention for you. "Are" simply means your names are more than one. But such scenarios hardly repeat themselves so that we are faced basically with a single name questionnairing. The above will be correct in some certain instances where the question reveals itself as, "What are your names?". So saying "my names are" is wrong is tantamount to saying "what are your names" is also wrong, which obviously is grammatical. Similarly, "what is your name" invokes an "is" no matter the number of times one has criminally changed one's names. The only solution then is to say, "I was known as John, Rego Banihyu and Santriaou".. Thus, the copular past tense verb, "was" "concords" with the status quo.

What's more, "That's illiterate English" is an error hauled shamefully! "Illiterate English", is that another variant of some kind of world Englishes? "Illiterate" as an adjective means "English is an illiterate." "Illiterate" as a denominalised adjective means "English speakers embodied with illiteracy"! All these are meaningless and outrageous! Why not say, "the illiterate's English", "English of the illietrate" (for denominalisation of adjectives", etc?..

And also, "Comity of states" is grammatical but controversial in the political realm. So it shouldn't have come under the topic "Grammatical Murders" as it is very, very grammatical! Now, over to the technical realm, the word "comity" a polysemic word, among other meanings also means "an association of nations for their mutual benefit".. This can be termed "Federalism" and still would be correct. Furthermore, it can be termed "confederation" and still be correct. So how has the governor erred? The only problem there is his use of "states" instead of "nations" which obviously would have been redundant as "comity" already suggests "nations". In this light, "comity of states", apart from that controversial "state" which political scientists will oppose technically, that sentence is, in other aspects, sound and plausible. Do we not use "states" to mean "nations"? Is the US not comprise of "States"? Has Nigeria not "36 states"?

Having said this, I dare reinstate my resolution that this OP lacks merit and grammatical grounds to critique what he himself is oblivious of!

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by nurex01(m): 12:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
well, it is not uncommon to have these grammatical errors in English Language.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by bigJosh101(m): 12:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:
why are u being tribalistic now?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Michaelgates(m): 1:26pm On Oct 19, 2015
The person that wrote this article......is he that jobless? U are busy looking peoples mistakes like we are about English. And is is grammar that we are going to eat in dis country? Nawa for una o
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by ahamonyeka(m): 1:32pm On Oct 19, 2015
I yam fully welly loaded hope am on point?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by mideactive: 1:39pm On Oct 19, 2015
English language making ppl loyal since 1700AD cheesy
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by permanentgrace(m): 2:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
makzeze:
Farooq kperogi wrote:

source:http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-my-names-are-comity-of-states-and-other-ministerial-screening-grammatical-murders/115470.html

Well, thanks specifically for the correction No. 4. That was an enlightenment but permit me to ask just a question. How does speaking flawless English put food on your table if you are not a die hard hustler like most of we Nigerians do?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by dominionangel: 2:34pm On Oct 19, 2015
KHAYGOLD:

Silly response
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Silencerh(m): 2:37pm On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:

Hehehehehehe... U make me laugh in Chinese
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by ballee4: 2:48pm On Oct 19, 2015
ignorance is a disease, prof. Kperogi is not an article- writing nobody, he was a one time speech writer in the presidency and presently a professor in an American university.
MrMcJay:
The person that can afford to pay for a bag of rice doesn't have the strength to carry it; and the person that has the strength to carry it can't afford to pay for it.

I think it is better to be a ministerial nominee than to be an article-writing nobody.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by ceecee0703(m): 3:23pm On Oct 19, 2015
MrMcJay:
The person that can afford to pay for a bag of rice doesn't have the strength to carry it; and the person that has the strength to carry it can't afford to pay for it.

I think it is better to be a ministerial nominee than to be an article-writing nobody.

And its worse not to be able to carry a bag of rice nor have the resources to buy one...

Which one u no dey...u are neither a ministerial nominee nor an article writer so keep shut..... instead of talking against the Op u can learn something u never knew before....

Gash Africans and pride....we cant stop learning till our grave...becos English is not our first language the more reason we have to keep learning it.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by okeyngene1: 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2015
MrMcJay:

MAY GOD BLESS U
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Elxandre(m): 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2015
Nairaland is filled up with intellectually slow youths. sad
What is wrong with improving your grammar?

Some are asking foolish questions, if speaking good English will put good food on their tables?
Keep failing recruitment exams with your pathetic Grammar and keep wondering why you are living in penury.

Thanks for the lesson Jare OP.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by 2odd(m): 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
The Bible even talk Sey 'my people perish cos they lack knowledge' some are calling a professor in an American university names. anyway check his profile before commenting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The First Set Of Medical Doctors At The University Of Ibadan (Photo) / ABU Lecturer Caught In Female Hostel Disguised With A Veil / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.