Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,417 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi (53124 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / N-Power Admin Responds To Grammatical Error Of Graduate Of English On Their Page / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by kestolove95(m): 10:46am On Oct 19, 2015
I stop taking dem seriux wen I realise dat d ministerial nominees wia the one screening the senators not d oda way
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by jesuspikinjp(m): 10:46am On Oct 19, 2015
adesegun121:
Wetin concern grammer concern the good job wey dem wan do for 9ja...

Na the tin wey dey tire me for we youth be this...

All what we need now is change live grammer alone...

Abi grammer na ur mama language angry

oniranu oshi

Even queen does kill grammar sometimes
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by seniorbros(m): 10:46am On Oct 19, 2015
watered:
Excellent

Excellent what? This guy is claiming infallibility and you're here praising him. English remains a borrowed language, and as such a wide margin for error should be allowed.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by dustydee: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2015
What of this? undecided

makzeze:
Farooq kperogi wrote:

1. “My names are.” I was told that several senators (or is it ministerial nominees; forgive me because I didn’t watch the whole live or recorded broadcast) introduced themselves by saying “my names are….” Well, as I have written in several articles, that’s illiterate English.
The conventional expression is “my name is” irrespective of the number of names of you have. As I wrote before, as recently as three weeks ago, contemporary native English speakers don’t introduce themselves by saying “my names are.” “Name” is a single unit and refers both to one’s first name alone and to one’s first, (middle), and last names combined. So the socially normative and grammatically acceptable way to introduce yourself is to either say “My name is Aliyu” or “My name is Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko .” The fact of the addition of “Magatakarda” and “Wamakko” to “Aliyu” doesn’t require that you to pluralize “name” to “names” to have “My names are Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko.”

source:http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics-of-grammar/-my-names-are-comity-of-states-and-other-ministerial-screening-grammatical-murders/115470.html
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Soknown: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2015
In order not to be caught in the web of 'my names are', I think it is better to simply say, 'I am' then your names.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by kestolove95(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2015
MrMcJay:
The person that can afford to pay for a bag of rice doesn't have the strength to carry it; and the person that has the strength to carry it can't afford to pay for it.

I think it is better to be a ministerial nominee than to be an article-writing nobody.
oboi na yab bdix o, u knw ba? Lol, I don laff tire
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Earthkumy(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2015
That's to say Patience Jonathan is not alone. Fashola, Fayemi done enter the league of mama peace hahhahahahha.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Jonnazo: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2015
When they speake this grammer, we asssume the meaning. but we realise the meaning of this grammar after they have commited crimes. then we don't have the balls to sue them to court because we gave them our support based on assumption.
I think is right time they begin to screen their grammer
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 19, 2015
Indian local term thugi, came into English lexicon as thug, which you may have been using
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by virginchaser(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2015
tonytony208:

Learn to be objective and reasonable.

Why would some people want to pull others down, ridicule others and make them feel bad?

Your way of life is very bad. You should change.

It must be very difficult being you.

You see nothing good in what others do. This is really bad of you.

The gentleman saw mistakes and he pointed them out; see the way you responded as if you are suffering from inferiority complex.

You are a silly muffon

I ASSUMED YOU TO BE A COMPLETE GENTLE MAN BUT YOUR LAST STATEMENT PROVED ME WRONG.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by virginchaser(m): 10:54am On Oct 19, 2015
Jonnazo:
When they speake this grammer, we asssume the meaning. but we realise the meaning of this grammar after they have commited crimes. then we don't have the balls to sue them to court because we gave them our support based on assumption.
I think is right time they begin to screen their grammer

We need to start from you. No hard feelings you need to work on yours.

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by gbemi15: 10:54am On Oct 19, 2015
themaskedman:

This is stupid, way too stupid and you must be ashamed for yourself. He doesn't have to be a minister tone relevant.
There are many out there more useful to the society than those ministerial nominees.
I would take a Kperogi anyday anytime to those blood sucking demons called no ministers, senators, governors and president.
abeg park well,of all dt happened at d screening,the only thin he saw was grammatical mistakes? is ds wot makes him useful?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by donfranklin(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2015
grin grin
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by dpete1: 10:55am On Oct 19, 2015
[quote author=themaskedman post=391216 you must be ashamed for yourself,[/quote]

its Ashamed OF yourself...

No offence

#observed
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by tonytony208(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2015
virginchaser:

I ASSUMED YOU TO BE A COMPLETE GENTLE MAN BUT YOUR LAST STATEMENT PROVED ME WRONG.

It is your opinion and you have a right to it.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by loswhite(m): 10:57am On Oct 19, 2015
tonytony208:

Learn to be objective and reasonable.

Why would some people want to pull others down, ridicule others and make them feel bad?

Your way of life is very bad. You should change.

It must be very difficult being you.

You see nothing good in what others do. This is really bad of you.

The gentleman saw mistakes and he pointed them out; see the way you responded as if you are suffering from inferiority complex.

You are a silly muffon
Is English their language? Why does it need to be perfect. So ppl that can not speak English are now illiterate right? White men ass lickers
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by MrMcJay(m): 10:58am On Oct 19, 2015
kestolove95:
oboi na yab bdix o, u knw ba? Lol, I don laff tire

No mind the guy jare.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Earthkumy(m): 10:59am On Oct 19, 2015
seniorbros:

Excellent what? This guy is claiming infallibility and you're here praising him. English remains a borrowed language, and as such a wide margin for error should be allowed.
I hope u are not one of those who insulted patience Jonathan?
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by tonytony208(m): 11:00am On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:

I guess u are seriously trending after that comment of urs now.... Well said... I have no words for u... Thanks

Working or living with people like you must be hellish. I pity everyone who has the misfortune of relating with your like one way or the other. I know your type and you are always disgusting.

It is peeps like you that will bear grudges with your neighbour and not greet him for days because you see him doing better than you.

Pls don't change. Remain as you are.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by MnenaSadiku(f): 11:00am On Oct 19, 2015
modath:

Why do we keep making allowances for mediocrity

By pointing these things out, I'm sure a lot of people will learn a thing or two...

There is dignity in labour, he doesn't have to be a minister or a senator to be respected..

You are right. I took my time to read through & I have actually learnt a thing or two from the OP.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by tonytony208(m): 11:02am On Oct 19, 2015
Laitesmart:

Eeyah.... Whatever happen to freedom of expression? Why did u have to jump to conclusion? Anyway... I just bought u over... U sounded like me somehow... Please.. What is a muffon?

You asking me a question? With the way you castigated that sound submission of the op, one would think you knew everything.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Africanpride: 11:03am On Oct 19, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Dr Kperoogi is a English lecturer at an American University....so it is his right to make the needful corrections.

And yes....English is not our language....but it is the official language of Nigeria.....as well as a growing international language...so it ought to be spoken properly.

My friend even those that English is there only language still make mistakes. Some times i feel there is no perfect way of speaking English as long you able to communicate your message with who ever you communicating with, and he or she understands you go to go.

I have had the opportunity to interact with people from different countries and can tell you Nigerians is way way better in terms of spoken English compare to other people even those ones that English is there only language.

There are better things to worry about with the nominees rather than worry about little mistakes like how they speak a language they have to learn. Just saying

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by teeboynaij: 11:04am On Oct 19, 2015
I love how they play opposition...PEOPLE DEMOCRACY PARTY.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by adeyak83(m): 11:07am On Oct 19, 2015
well done OP, English was chosen as our official language, we 'll be learning it till eternity, don't hate my post 'cos i am a learner.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by naptu2: 11:09am On Oct 19, 2015
Professor Kperogi runs a column in Daily Trust Newspaper and a Facebook page. He was responding to questions sent to him by his readers.

More about Farooq Perogi.

Dr. Farooq Kperogi is an Assistant Professor of Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University, in Metro Atlanta, USA.

Dr. Farooq Kperogi is a media scholar, university teacher, journalist, author, newspaper columnist, grammar enthusiast, and blogger based in Greater Atlanta, USA.

He is currently an Assistant Professor of Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University, Georgia's fastest-growing and third largest university. He received his Ph.D. in Communication from Georgia State University in Atlanta where he taught journalism for 5 years and won the top Ph.D. student award called the "Outstanding Academic Achievement in Graduate Studies Award." He earned his Master's of Science degree in Communication (with a minor in English) at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, USA, and won the Outstanding Master's Student in Communication award. He received his bachelor's degree in Mass Communication (with minors in English and Political Science) from Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria, where he won the Nigerian Television Authority Prize for the Best Graduating Student in Mass Communication. 

He previously worked as a reporter, features editor, news editor, researcher/speech writer at the (Nigerian) President's office, and as a journalism lecturer at Kaduna Polytechnic and Ahmadu Bello University. He was the Managing Editor of the Atlanta Review of Journalism History, a refereed academic journal, from 2007 to 2011. He was also Associate Director of Research at Georgia State University's Center for International Media Education (CIME). In April 2014, University of Louisiana's Department of Communication honored him with the Outstanding Alumnus Award.

He writes two weekly newspaper columns--"Notes From Atlanta" in the Abuja-based Daily Trust on Saturday (formerly Weekly Trust) and "Politics of Grammar" in Daily Trust on Sunday (formerly Sunday Trust)--and blogs at www.farooqkperogi.com

He is the author of "Glocal English: The Changing Face and Forms of Nigerian English in a Global World," which can be purchased from major online bookstores

I am an Assistant Professor of Journalism and Citizen Media at Kennesaw State University, Georgia, USA. I received my B.A. in Mass Communication from Bayero University Kano, Nigeria, my Master's of Science in Communication from the University of Louisiana, USA, and my Ph.D. in Public Communication from Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA.

I am a recipient of the Nigerian Television Authority Prize for the Best Graduating Student in Mass Communication, the University of Louisiana's Outstanding Master's Student in Communication award, Georgia State University's top Ph.D. student award in communication, and Outstanding Alumnus Award from the University of Louisiana's Department of Communication.

I'd worked as a reporter, news editor, presidential researcher/speech writer, and journalism lecturer in Nigeria before relocating to the United States.

I write two weekly newspaper columns: "Notes from Atlanta," which comes out every Saturday in the Weekly Trust, and "Politics of Grammar," which appears every Sunday in the Sunday Trust. My columns are simultaneously published on my blog: www.farooqkperogi.com.

https://m.facebook.com/farooqakperogi/about?expand_all=1

2 Likes

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Badejotemitope: 11:16am On Oct 19, 2015
It seems the second point as regards "COMITY OF NATIONS" is misplaced. The phrase was actually used in the right context by Dr. Kayode Fayemi. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, the former Governor used the phrase in line with its second meaning. This is the definition given by Merriam Webster Dictionary:

comity of nations

1 : the courtesy and friendship of nations marked especially by mutual recognition of executive, legislative, and judicial acts
2 : the group of nations practicing international comity

1 Like

Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by 3rdlegxxx(m): 11:17am On Oct 19, 2015
timijoseph01:
That awkward moment ur lexis n stucture textbook gives a correction.. But the correct sentence isnt even pleasant to the hearing.

guy you are so on point, like "know full well' being the correct line rather than 'knowing fully well' it just sounds wrong
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by gelagela(f): 11:17am On Oct 19, 2015
Must u mention the names of those that made the mistake? Since u have said some ministerial nominees, y not live their names alone? MR Know ALL. U tried shaa.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Badejotemitope: 11:21am On Oct 19, 2015
I enjoin everyone here to look up the definition of "comity of nations" in the dictionary before we conclude that Dr. Kayode Fayemi was wrong.
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by tunde233(m): 11:21am On Oct 19, 2015
Scintillating credentials, great work. Keep it up!
Re: Grammatical Murders Committed During Ministerial Screening - Farooq Kperogi by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 19, 2015
nochildsplay:

Good day to you too, sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The First Set Of Medical Doctors At The University Of Ibadan (Photo) / ABU Lecturer Caught In Female Hostel Disguised With A Veil / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.