Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,380 members, 7,815,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola (9108 Views)

Amaechi Or Fashola Or Rochas or Al makura- Who Is The Best Shoki Dancer (PICS) / Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Dovent: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2009
Obviously the three of them had put a landmark in Lagos that will make Lagosians to always remeber them for their good works, but who will you rate as the best - Jakande, Maruwa or Fashola.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Lagosboy: 7:53pm On Apr 30, 2009
Please it is Jakande.

Most of the infrastrucuture u see in lagos today are his works apart from the ones that was built during the oil boom of Gowons era.

This man is an unsong hero and an administrator of high repute.

Fashola is only 2 yrs into his tenure and i will rate Buba marwa on par with him for now in my personal opinion.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by moneygurl: 8:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
My problem with Jakande is that he built a lot of temporary stuff, that was meant to last 4-5 years during the oil boom.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On May 01, 2009
Poster, you left Mudashiru off your list, why?
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by PapaBrowne(m): 12:55am On May 01, 2009
I'll give it to Fashola for the simple fact that he knows where he is going and has a pretty good idea of what he wants to achieve.

I don't know much about Jakande, aside some dilapidated estates named after him  in Lagos. To the best of my knowledge, Lagos got most of its infrastructure through Gowon during the 70's Oil boom. He must have been good though.

For Marwa, I think considering the fact that he was not an Indigene of the state plus he was military,  I'd give him kudos for the little he did .He tried!
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by jona2: 1:07am On May 01, 2009
PapaBrowne:

I'll give it to Fashola for the simple fact that he knows where he is going and has a pretty good idea of what he wants to achieve.

I don't know much about Jakande, aside some dilapidated estates named after him  in Lagos. To the best of my knowledge, Lagos got most of its infrastructure during through Gowon during the 70's  Niger Delta Oil boom. He must have been good though.
For Marwa, I think considering the fact that he was not an Indigene of the state plus he was military,  I'd give him kudos for the little he did .He tried!
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Lagosboy: 8:39am On May 01, 2009
moneygurl:

My problem with Jakande is that he built a lot of temporary stuff, that was meant to last 4-5 years during the oil boom.

My sista true some of his projects were temporary but have u wondered why most of these stuff like schools have remained the same considering that this man got into power 30 yrs ago?

PapaBrowne:

Yeah true Fashola has an idea of where he his going but if you ever saw Jakandes blue print for lagos and future plan you will marvel at it. The metro we are talking about today had already reached an advance stage in planning during Jakandes tenure with all the routes already planned out. It was funding and the military coup that brought an end to it. Here we are still talking about this metro 30 yrs after.

PapaBrowne:

I don't know much about Jakande, aside some dilapidated estates named after him  in Lagos. To the best of my knowledge, Lagos got most of its infrastructure through Gowon during the 70's Oil boom. He must have been good though.

Yeah the problem is most of us were either young or non existent during jakandes tenure so we really do not know much abt it. If u speak to the older generations you will see that fashola is following the steps of this great man and towing in his direction. The dilapidated buildings u talked about are in fact in my opinion a living testimony to the greatness of the mans mind. 30 years and this building are still standing with no major strucutural damage or defects bearing in mind that these buildings were meant to be low cost housing for the general masses. This buildings remind me of the various council estates in the UK and some of my fellas here will know what i am talking about.

No single governor has been able to achieve this kind of housing scheme affordable to the masses like jakande but all the housing svhemes we hear are for a selected few and mostly middle class or rich people. J
Jakandes educational lagacy is phenomenal, he used the limited resources to achieve so much. The schools were substandartd in structure but they were quality in teaching then and its a shame most of these temporary structures remained the same for over 20 years especially the primary schools.

Yeah and i did acknowledge the infrastructure of the oil boom era in my first posts.

PapaBrowne:

Marwa was exceptional and he governed with intellect and intelligence. I will rate him with fashola but he was military so he could achieve some things which will be difficult for fashola especially the "operation sweep " which was a huge success. Marwa repaired various roads and exposed the ineffectiveness and stupidity of the Oyinlola administraation.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by AjanleKoko: 9:16am On May 01, 2009
A bit difficult to measure, guys.
You leave out Gbolahan Mudashiru, who converted a lot of 'Jakande school' buildings to modern prototypes. Also Raji Rasaki who did a lot of infrastructure work, like the Opebi Oregun link road/bridge, and rebuilt the sinking Alapere bridge.
Apart from Jakande, the other guys either haven't been there for long (Fashola) and the other miltary guys didn't spend much time on the seat. So I can't vote for now. Let's see if Fashola can achieve up to 30% of his plans for Term 1, then we can see.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On May 01, 2009
It's too early to start naming fashola among the best ever governors in lagos. . . don't you think?
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Phemytrend: 10:22am On May 01, 2009
some of major problem seem too hard for previous Governors , Governor fashola was able to achieve those areas and at the same time keep eyes over the problem solved grin to me he's man
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Lagosboy: 10:30am On May 01, 2009
Jakande spent 5 years, Marwa spent two and a half to three years , Fashola has spent 2 years. Fashola could be compared directly to marwa now and that is why in my personal opinion he his on par with as regards service to the people.

In terms of infrastructure after 4 years we could compare fashola to Jakande but like i insist jakandes achievement is phenomenal even Tinubu's 8 years cannot stand close to Jakandes first three years in office.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by unfaded(m): 11:14am On May 01, 2009
AjanleKoko:

You leave out Gbolahan Mudashiru, who converted a lot of 'Jakande school' buildings to modern prototypes. Also Raji Rasaki who did a lot of infrastructure work, like the Opebi Oregun link road/bridge, and rebuilt the sinking Alapere bridge.

sir, i beg to differ, because a governor built a bridge doesn't make him tenure successful.the problems with nigerians is that we're satisfied with mediocrity(besides did he fund it wit his money)
Our leaders build boreholes and celebrates, the launch websites, they even launch keke napep etc. The kind of projects fashola has initiated, no past Governor has ever tried
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Lagosboy: 12:18pm On May 01, 2009
unfaded:

The kind of projects fashola has initiated, no past Governor has ever tried

My brotha if u said no past governor apart from Jakande i will accept. You just have to look backwards and read about the Lagos project between 1979 - 1983 under Lateef Jakande. He was a dedicated leader who did not amass wealth on the scale we see today .

Out of topic : He did not build a mansion in ikoyi like our past governor has just done , his house i think is still in ilupeju area of lagos if i am not mistaken and it is nuthin extravagant. His achievements and legacy still stands tall in Lagos of today.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Fhemmmy: 1:07pm On May 01, 2009
moneygurl:

All the stuff that Jakande did were not maintained by the gov after him.

however, Fashola is doing a great job, but he need better way to compensate people that is losing their homes to roads, and people losing their business in the name of restructuring, let us leave no one / business behind.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by sbo(m): 11:11am On May 02, 2009
Personally I will rate Jakande as the best Governor Lagos has ever had. As Lagosboy said, he was a man with vision. The metro project being talked about now was originally conceived by Jakande. It is worth noting that Jakande government had purchsed the corridor for the rail project. Also he was able to implement free education with little resources. My father served under the Jakande govt, and it will be interesting to let you know that he ordered all his aides to withdraw their children from private school and enrol them in public schools. As a result my parents had to withdraw me from a private school in Ilupeju. For him it was a way of setting an 'example'. Not nowadays when children of the political elites are all studying overseas, and our educational system is left to rotten. In fact, I attended the same public school with Jakande's children in Ilupeju. I can remember been handed free text books at my public school during my primary education.

His housing programme was also a success. If not for Jakande,I know people who will never own a house in Lagos. It was really for the masses and not for middle/upper class as it is nowadays. None of his aides were allowed to buy any of those flats. He made sure they were allocated genuinely to people who really needed them. Lots of junior civil servants benefitted.

Having said all these, Fashola still has 2+4yrs to surpass Jakande's record.
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by wegevv: 9:51pm On Feb 20, 2023
Hmm I thought Tinubu built Lagos lol
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by OmegaAutos: 9:57pm On Feb 20, 2023
Can we outline how many roads these people constructed and also put Ambode in the pix
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Isobug: 10:13pm On Feb 20, 2023
OmegaAutos:
Can we outline how many roads these people constructed and also put Ambode in the pix
Yes, Ambode should be there

1 Like

Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by stacyadams: 10:19pm On Feb 20, 2023
wegevv:
Hmm I thought Tinubu built Lagos lol

Truth dey come out small small..thank God Na 2009 them create the thread grin

3 Likes

Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by FarahAideed: 10:21pm On Feb 20, 2023
Jakande, Raji Rasaki , Ambode
Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by Cholls(m): 10:26pm On Feb 20, 2023
My brother I will say fashion because he evacuated the developers

Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by jahsharon: 10:41pm On Feb 20, 2023
Dovent:
Obviously the three of them had put a landmark in Lagos that will make Lagosians to always remeber them for their good works, but who will you rate as the best - Jakande, Maruwa or Fashola.

No Peter Pandora Giringori Obituary is the best governor Lagos ever had.

1 Like

Re: The Best Governor Lagos Ever Had, Jakande, Maruwa Or Fashola by wegevv: 10:09am On Feb 21, 2023
stacyadams:

Truth dey come out small small..thank God Na 2009 them create the thread grin

I thought everybody will say Tinubu. E shock me grin

(1) (Reply)

LCC Says Toll Tariff On The Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge Is Not Getting Increased / Nasir El-Rufai Takes COVID-19 Vaccine / Ugwuanyi: We Support Constitution Amendments That'll Enhance Unity, Prosperity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.