Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, (4129 Views)

Why Hasn't God made an amputated limb grow back? / On Wiegraf's Signature : If God made humans from mud then why is mud still here? / God Made Him Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Recognise: 9:16pm On Apr 30, 2009
Politician has legs broken to become taller
Sophie Tedmanson in Sydney

An Australian politician has gone to extraordinary measures to be taken seriously in the council chambers — she had her legs broken and stretched to become 8cm (3in) taller.

Hajnal Ban, 31, a councillor with Logan City local council in Queensland, underwent nine months of excruciating pain to become a “normal” 5ft 4in after years of insecurities about her height.

“A lot of young females have insecurities about their weight or their nose, mine was my height,” Ms Ban told The Times today.

She underwent the leg lengthening procedure eight years ago after being called a “midget” at school and fearing that her height would hamper her credibility as she delved into the legal profession and later into local politics.

The operation was carried out at the Ilizarov orthopaedic clinic in Russia, at a cost of $AU40,000 (£19,000). Surgeons broke both her legs in four places and stretched them slowly for 1mm every day over nine months. In the end, she had grown from 154cm (just under 5ft 1in) to 162cm.

“From the time I flew to Russia to the time I was able to wear high heels again was about a year in total, but at least nine months of that was excruciatingly painful,” she said.

The Ilizarov Clinic, in Kurgen, advertises as a scientific centre for restorative traumatology. Ms Ban said that she was one of the only people there at the time for cosmetic reasons, as many of the clinic’s other patients included people being treated for dwarfism, a hunched back, or deformed limbs.

“You see sports people going in who need that extra height, and models . . . it’s a well kept secret,” she said.

Ms Ban, who was born in Israel and is of Hungarian origins, has lived in Australia since she was a child. She ran unsuccessfully for the conservative National Party during the 2007 federal election and has been a local councillor for three years.

She is not the only Australian female politician to admit to having a cosmetic procedure, in December Anna Bligh, the Queensland premier, admitted she has had Botox injections.

Ms Ban had the surgery when she was a 23-year-old barrister and wrote a book about her experience, God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, using the pseudonym Sara Vornamen. She wore a disguise to publicise the book and said today that she did not sell copies of the self-published book because she was a “private person” who did not want to draw attention to her surgery.

Her leg-lengthening operation was uncovered this week by Australian media but despite the sudden interest in her surgery, Ms Ban said that she did not want to be remembered as “the girl who got her legs lengthened”.

“I want people to take me seriously and to be known for the work I do as a politician in my local community,” she said.

Ms Ban said that despite the success of her surgery she would not recommend it for anyone else as it is “not everyone’s cup of tea”.

“I have absolutely no regrets, it was a decision I made in consultation with my family, I was prepared, I did my research and I’m very lucky because the results are good,” she said.

“But as much as it worked for me . . . it is not something I would necessarily promote or endorse. I would never recommend anyone for leg lengthening or liposuction or any other surgery, people have to take it up individually.”

She said that she would not rule out further cosmetic enhancements. “I haven’t made a decision whether I will in the future or not, I know I’ll get wrinkles and put on weight, and I’ll even shrink as I get older, so we’ll see what happens,” she said. “But I’m not fixated on self image.”

for SOURCE: Click here
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by rite2salas(m): 12:07am On May 02, 2009
so what is the point of the thread? undecided
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Recognise: 8:52am On May 02, 2009
[size=16pt]@^[/size]

Its a FYI . . .
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 02, 2009
FYI, an Australian politician had her legs lengthened. Where do the good people of Nigeria come in?
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Recognise: 1:28pm On May 02, 2009
[size=16pt]@^[/size]

[img width=25 height=35]http:///d3tnru[/img] I give up . . .
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 02, 2009
A call for locking,
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by duduspace(m): 1:52pm On May 02, 2009
@^

Not necessarily, it is a good testimony for the new God named "Surgery". All hail the great Surgery.
Re: God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall, by Recognise: 2:03pm On May 02, 2009
Mactao:

A call for locking,

[size=16pt]@^[/size]

A call for locking?

Dont make me snigger

Did you manage to think that up all by yourself?

You must be very clever then and proud of yourself.

Hmm, maybe the "very good people of Nigeria" live in isolation to the rest of world

or maybe live with their heads buried in sands

Yeah, so they dont need to be made aware of remarks such as "God Made Me Small, Surgery Made Me Tall . . . " made outside Nigeria or uttered by non-Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Day 22 Prayer Points(50 Days Fasting And Prayer) / Psalms 50 - Reveals The Heart And Mind Of God On Giving/tithing / Free Will Is An Illusion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.