Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,297 members, 7,819,000 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? (14986 Views)

Names Of Some Animals In Central Igbo Language (asụsụ Igbo Izugbe) / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace / I See More Delta Igbos Claim To Be Igbo Than Ikwerre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 11:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:

Most people understood the thread, look at the first comments, I don't actually know who the people are that were throwing insults or even explicitly said Onitsha Igbo is better or whatever, but I guess better time would have been spent questioning them instead of the motive of the thread which most people responded to in a way that shows they understand that threads are often opened with rhetorical questions to begin a conversation, which it did.
Most people did not understand the thread. They just made bizzare conclusions immediately they saw the title which obviously was in their favour. Don't pretend you were not part of the 'antagonistic team' though.:/
Anyway,discussions has been made and i believe most of us share same opinions. We should move on and concentrate on your second question/suggestion which is in line with what scholti is trying to do. That will be a more reasonable thing to do.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
Alright. We can give this back-and-forth a rest now, because I'm sure everyone's point has been made. We are now in the realm of over-explaining, and all that does is take up time and resources.

Now, I believe we were just about to put our thoughts toward leveraging dialect (NCI/SCI included) in order to 'naturalize' Izugbe.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 11:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:
someone from Umuahia / north Abia may have better understanding of the Onitsha Igbo much more than they would an Ikwere or what is spoken in Ugwuta, and not because of the popularity of Onitsha
I'm not sure about this. Ugwuta should be related to Onitsha and Anioma? Northern Abia dialects are diverse, i don't see them closely related to onitsha dialect apart from few similar words. You can buttress your point.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 26, 2015
mandax:

Many of the communities in Nnewi local government councils in Anambra state, including Orsu-Umuoghu, have the same ancestry with the many Orsu communities in Orlu area of Imo state. Even their Igbo dialects are the same.

In Ihialla local government council in Anambra state, the Uli and Amorka areas have same ancestry and Igbo dialects with the Mgbidi people in Imo state.

The two areas from Anambra and Imo states joined together with the rest in Orlu senatorial district in the demand for a sixth state to be created in the south east zone.
Nice contribution Mandax. I suppose you meant Njaba state.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by mandax: 4:49am On Oct 26, 2015
Chiwude:

Yes, the proposed Njaba state singed onto by people from part of Nnewi and part of Ihialla with prople from the rest of Orlu senatorial district.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:12am On Oct 26, 2015
Chiwude:
Yes,you are right and Orumba north and south will join up with Okigwe, Umunneochi, Oji river and isuikwuato in another proposed state-Etiti state. smiley
Now,i see the thread is no longer favourable to some people,if it was should owerri/umuahia be the igbo izugbe,dem for don destroy am since.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:31am On Oct 27, 2015
Chiwude:
Lol! Oguta too has Anioma links. Even the Orus in time past had trade relations with the riverine Anioma communities like Aboh.

Did I ever argued Ugwuta didn't have Anioma influence via Ogbaru people ,who has large migrations from Anioma? My disagreement is with Orlu. Olisa is foreign to Orlu.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:52am On Oct 27, 2015
mandax:

Yes, the proposed Njaba state singed onto by people from part of Nnewi and part of Ihialla with prople from the rest of Orlu senatorial district.

Your dreams to attach yourselves to Anambra by all means is dead on arrival....Just because you have one selfish drunk from there doesn't mean Umu-Anedo will buy into that crap. If you doubt open a thread and ask them if they are interested in any Njaba state and watch them laugh at you. Nobody has the power to break Anambra!! Stay in your zone and leave Omanbala alone! Abagworo has tried all his might to attach but it didn't work,he tried to infiltrate and met stiff resistance and he suggested the stupid Njaba state and ONLYTRUTH cursed him out and now we have you ,a day dreamer and you think you will survive ?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:04am On Oct 27, 2015
mandax:

Many of the communities in Nnewi local government councils in Anambra state, including Orsu-Umuoghu, have the same ancestry with the many Orsu communities in Orlu area of Imo state. Even their Igbo dialects are the same.

In Ihialla local government council in Anambra state, the Uli and Amorka areas have same ancestry and Igbo dialects with the Mgbidi people in Imo state.

The two areas from Anambra and Imo states joined together with the rest in Orlu senatorial district in the demand for a sixth state to be created in the south east zone.

I know a lot of communities in that axis has the same ancestry but I am waiting for you to tell me their original homeland. Your sister has being running around avoiding my questions but I know why.The only recorded migration that went NORTHWARDS was the Arochukwu EXODUS and Some few pocket migration in same direction. There is NO community in Anambra founded by any group from Imo and if you think otherwise then is prove it!
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:24am On Oct 27, 2015
As for Ezeagu's contemplation,isn't it obvious Igbo Izugbe is as good as dead and extinct? Nobody goes out of their way to speak it and that points to its widespread rejection for lack of fluidity fluidity and poetry. They should have left the Onicha Igbo that has fluid and elegance be and we wouldn't be having this problem. However,I believe with time the Izugbe will die out and a more natural tongue will emerge of which I think it already taking shape. People are already mixing the NCI and SCI and that's our destination. Phyno and Flavour are doing it and it's working fine. Its only a matter of time before Izugbe is revised.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Phut(f): 3:38am On Oct 27, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Did I ever argued Ugwuta didn't have Anioma influence via Ogbaru people ,who has large migrations from Anioma? My disagreement is with Orlu. Olisa is foreign to Orlu.

Please, Oguta people do not have Anioma influence via Ogbaru. Oguta people (Oguta 1)migrated from Anioma, as did Ogbaru, Ndoni etc. Some's migrations were relatively short while others went further afield (like Oguta and Ndoni). And I bet you there were different waves of migration. Oguta villages such as Umudei, ogwuma (to name a few) still exist in Anioma today. I know about how Oguta came to be where it is today, and the journey didn't start from Ogbaru which is our next door neighbor. Having said that, anyi na Ogbaru bu nyanne.

Fun fact: long long time ago, before the proliferation of the roads (as we know it) Oguta , Omoku, Ndoni and Ogbaru used to have a lot of mmeko. Oguta lake and some other water ways were the major means of transportation. Of course some traveling was also done by land, but all in all the trips were seen as short ones. But ask them to go to Mgbidi and they will look at you as if you asked them to go to Igwenga/Timbukt2 grin

Also the flooding that happened aim Nigeria a few years ago? I was told that Oguta lake used to overflow its banks (kind of like the river Nile) but with climate change, it is something that you hardly see anymore. Also, where Ubi Oguta is located seems to riverine in nature. I was told that during the rainy season, it gets flooded, so Ndi ubi would have to build their homes on stilts for the duration of the rainy season. Also they would dig humongous ditches before the flood comes. And when the floodwaters recede, a lot of fish would be trapped/left behind. Most of the fish would be dried, enough to feed a village for weeks. The oil that Imo state produces, is from Ubi Oguta. Don't know how much of the farming culture is left, with all the drilling and exploration going on.

I wanted to go to Ubi the last time I was home. It would have been my first trip. My cousin laughed and laughed, talking about mosquito and such. But that one concerns him. Next time, I am definitely going. When OFF has not finished in the market.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 6:12am On Oct 27, 2015
all West Africans and Bantus in Africa that have E1B1A are the Real Hebrew Israelites in the Bible. we came from Israel. please click to this Facebook page :- https://m.facebook.com/e1b1ahaplogroupnation?__tn__=C . ask the Genetics Doctor, he will explain everything to you all . Shalom
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by mandax: 6:49am On Oct 27, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Your dreams to attach yourselves to Anambra by all means is dead on arrival....Just because you have one selfish drunk from there doesn't mean Umu-Anedo will buy into that crap. If you doubt open a thread and ask them if they are interested in any Njaba state and watch them laugh at you. Nobody has the power to break Anambra!! Stay in your zone and leave Omanbala alone! Abagworo has tried all his might to attach but it didn't work,he tried to infiltrate and met stiff resistance and he suggested the stupid Njaba state and ONLYTRUTH cursed him out and now we have you ,a day dreamer and you think you will survive ?

Normally, I shouldn't reply to someone like you who argue with scant knowledge of the discourse on the table.

But to keep records straight, maka ndi uta - take note:
Orsumuoghu communities in one of the two local government councils in Nnewi share common ancestry and Igbo language dialect with the Orsu-Ihiteukwa, and with the many other autonomous communities collectively called Ndi Orsu by others in rest of Orlu district. There's a very large and densely populated Orsu local government council in Imo state with borders with Anambra state.

If you know the urban town of Orlu very well, from the point called Nkwo-Ito roundabout beside the old Orlu sports stadium - from that point at the centre of Orlu urban town going all the way to parts of Nnewi and parts of Ihialla local government councils in Anambra state, people in all of those communities are called Orsu people by rest of Orlu, even before Nigeria came into existence.

Catholic Church parishes of Uli and Amorka and some other Catholic church parishes around them are in the Orlu Catholic Diocese till today.

What happened was that when Imo state and Anambra state were created from the old East Central State, a dispute erupted between one Chief Agbasiere who had personal interest in Ihialla on one hand, and others on the other hand who wanted to remain with their kin in Orsu. More influential Agbasiere succeded in dragging the Uli and Amorka areas that were then in Orlu division to Anambra state.

Till today, any opportunity any government gives to the Orsu-Umuoghu communities in one of the Nnewi local government councils to rejoin their kin in Orsu communities in Orlu district of Imo state, they shall jump to grab the opportunity.

The Uli, Amorka and their surrounding communities in Ihialla local government council in Anambra state shall also grab any similar opportunity to rejoin their kin in neighbouring communities in Orsu local government area in Orlu district of Imo state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:09am On Oct 27, 2015
Lmao! The main agenda of this thread is not to talk about who wants to be attached to Anambra or Imo by force or who wants to create another state. We are only trying to show you people that share same ancestry,culture and dialect beyond state boundaries. So you would stop treating Anambra, Imo, Enugu etc as homogenous and monolithic people/state.
Onye Apari!
There was nothing like Anambra and Imo few years ago,so i don't understand that question.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:20am On Oct 27, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Lmao! The main agenda of this thread is not to talk about who wants to be attached to Anambra or Imo by force or who wants to create another state. We are only trying to show you people that share same ancestry,culture and dialect beyond state boundaries. So you would stop treating Anambra, Imo, Enugu etc as homogenous and monolithic people/state.
Onye Apari!
There was nothing like Anambra and Imo few years ago,so i don't understand that question.

What culture?

@Mandax,i will address your rants in due time.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
mandax:

Normally, I shouldn't reply to someone like you who argue with scant knowledge of the discourse on the table.

Orsumuoghu communities in one of the two local government councils in Nnewi share common ancestry and Igbo language dialect with the Orsu-Ihiteukwa, and with the many other autonomous communities collectively called Ndi Orsu by others in rest of Orlu district. There's a very large and densely populated Orsu local government council in Imo state with borders with Anambra state.

If you know the urban town of Orlu very well, from the point called Nkwo-Ito roundabout beside the old Orlu sports stadium - from that point at the centre of Orlu urban town going all the way to parts of Nnewi and parts of Ihialla local government councils in Anambra state, people in all of those communities are called Orsu people by rest of Orlu, even before Nigeria came into existence.

Catholic Church parishes of Uli and Amorka and some other Catholic church parishes around them are in the Orlu Catholic Diocese till today.

What happened was that when Imo state and Anambra state were created from the old East Central State, a dispute erupted between one Chief Agbasiere who had personal interest in Ihialla on one hand, and others on the other hand who wanted to remain with their kin in Orsu. More influential Agbasiere succeded in dragging the Uli and Amorka areas that were then in Orlu division to Anambra state.

Till today, any opportunity any government gives to the Orsu-Umuoghu communities in one of the Nnewi local government councils to rejoin their kin in Orsu communities in Orlu district of Imo state, they shall jump to grab the opportunity.

The Uli, Amorka and their surrounding communities in Ihialla local government council in Anambra state shall also grab any similar opportunity to rejoin their kin in neighbouring communities in Orsu local government area in Orlu district of Imo state.

You are spot on
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Yes,you are right and Orumba north and south will join up with Okigwe, Umunneochi, Oji river and isuikwuato in another proposed state-Etiti state. smiley
Now,i see the thread is no longer favourable to some people,if it was should owerri/umuahia be the igbo izugbe,dem for don destroy am since.
Yeah, I remember vividly. They also came up with another name 'Equity state'. Ikedi Ohakim of Imo and other big shots from Isukwato were the brains behind it.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2015
mandax:

Onye mmanya ngwo! give that guy a keg of fresh palm wine for this.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Pchidexy(m): 11:59am On Oct 29, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Nri Priest, your are probably illiterate, uninformed, simply naïve or stupidly arrogant. You are no better than Imo peeps. FYI, states doesn't mean a cultural zone. Aniedo people know themselves. Many communities in Nnewi South belong to the Orsu sub group. Stop twisting history like Ikwerre people. Your type is a problem to Igbo unity.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by adabekee12(f): 4:38am On Mar 23, 2017
Ihuomadinihu:
I would suggest we just stick to original pattern where Onitsha igbo is used in the Northern region and Owerri-Umuahia dialect is used in the Southern regions. I don't know where you got the impression that onitsha igbo is used in the South?
Biko,onitsha igbo is no where popular in the south. People just speak a mixture of Owerri,Umuahia and Aba igbo.
I prefer a gradual rise of a Standard igbo dialect instead of forcing a particular dialect on igbo people.

Gradual rise of standard igbo is not a good thing. We need igbo to rise fast. If you ask me every igbo person should be able to speak the popular igbo dialects. You should not only know igbo izugbe and your dialect but you should know atleast 5 other dialects.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by adabekee12(f): 6:03am On Mar 23, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Let me understand, are you using 'Onitsha' as a general term for 'northernizing' one's speech? i.e. consciously switching from /h/ to /f/, as an example? If that's the case, then I can understand this statement. I've seen this happen, but it typically happens when /h/-speakers communicate with /f/-speakers and almost never when /h/-speakers communicate with /h/-speakers. In fact most /h/-speakers will tell you that they feel as though they have to go out of their way for /f/-speakers for two reasons:
1) /f/-speech is practically th only thing /f/-speakers have any real familiarity with.
2) /f/-speakers pretty much never go of their way to switch for /h/-speakers.

The general consensus is that most /f/-speakers would be lost when interacting with /h/-speakers. So, for the sake of intelligibility and to cut down time, /h/-speakers will go out of their way for /f/-speakers. However, in literary communication, that is not the case. Izugbe or Central becomes the mode of speech by which /h/-speakers communicate with /f/-speakers, and you will rarely ever see an /h/-speaker make that switch from /h/ to /f/, unless out of some courtesy or playfully.

If #2 is right, then the egos of those people needs to be eradicated. I don't get it at all... how F speakers cannot go out their way to H speakers.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 7:15am On Mar 23, 2017
YorubaMuslims:

That dialect is not spoken in Onitsha alone, some part of Imo State who are close to Anambra shara the same dialect, eg. Izuogu

Ya I noticed this too.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by adabekee12(f): 7:17am On Mar 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Oh yes, I think it well does. Another example woukd be Yorubas, especially those living in Lagos or the SW, who are known to be unwilling to learn other Nigerian languages, because several non-Yorubas understand and speak the language. Some Yorubas would even speak Yoruba to you not caring if you are Yoruba or not, and expect you to understand or speak it. Thus, many of them do not feel the need to learn other Nigerian languages when others understand them when they speak.

If you choose to call it ego as you see it from your distant point of view, it is your wish but as an insider, my Anambra people I know do not see it that way. I speak from experience.

It has a lot to do with ego and belittling. The yorubas were a perfect example because they are first to scream one Nigeria but are not willing to do the needy to make it one Nigeria. Living with other cultures means that you learn theirs the same way they learn yours. Anything short of that is bullshiiiit. People need to stop lying.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by agadez007(m): 10:07pm On May 04, 2017
YorubaMuslims:

Yea, Etiti and some part of Umuahia close to Etiti Imo State
I heard one Umuahia man speak his Umuahia dialect in the bus i was in while coming back from Lagos to the east,it was nothing like center Igbo,i couldnt understand anything
There is also this Ibeku man living in my sister's compound,he speaks funny too

If there is any dialect in Igboland close to Izugbe,its the general Igbo spoken in Anambra state,Have you noticed that if Somebody from say Abia or Imo wants to speak with an Anambra man,they try to modify the igbo they speak while the Anambrarian will speak his dialect anywhere and anyhow and still be perfectly understood,Why?,because like izugbe his dialect can be understood by all

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Probz(m): 10:35pm On May 04, 2017
It practically is already.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 12:38am On May 06, 2017
agadez007:
I heard one Umuahia man speak his Umuahia dialect in the bus i was in while coming back from Lagos to the east,it was nothing like center Igbo,i couldnt understand anything
There is also this Ibeku man living in my sister's compound,he speaks funny too

If there is any dialect in Igboland close to Izugbe,its the general Igbo spoken in Anambra state,Have you noticed that if Somebody from say Abia or Imo wants to speak with an Anambra man,they try to modify the igbo they speak while the Anambrarian will speak his dialect anywhere and anyhow and still be perfectly understood,Why?,because like izugbe his dialect can be understood by all
you didn't get my point, I said Etiti which is now Isinweke and Obowo with neighboring part of Abia State, people speak Onitsha dialect because it's very easy to catch.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Pounded Yam Eulogy/ Oriki Iyan Ni Ede Abinibi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.