Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,497 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice (679 Views)

Emenike Kneels Down As Emmanuel Obimma Ebube Muonso Prays For Him (Pic) / Emmanuel Emenike Buys G Wagon [PICS] / Emmanuel Emenike Retires From The National Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by Geestunnar(m): 7:52pm On Oct 20, 2015
The striker's decision to call time on his Nigeria career at 27 betrays a thin skin and an unfortunate lack of determination.

Examining the cursory evidence, it is safe to surmise that, since Rashidi Yekini faded out of the footballing landscape, Nigeria has had a tenuous relationship with her centre forwards.
The Kaduna Bull holds the national team goalscoring record to this day, 17 years since he last pulled on the green and white; his replacement sought after as the Holy Grail. Emmanuel Emenike has become the latest to drink of the poisoned chalice.

His farewell post on Instagram, which has assumed the status of divorce lawyer for Super Eagles players in recent times, drew the curtain on a five-year national team career. In that time, one Africa Cup of Nations trophy, one Afcon Golden Boot, and one World Cup round of 16 appearance is the total of his legacy.

Emenike: No more Eagles career! "After 5 great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my Nationa team career for the sake of national peace." "Its a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think its the best time to end it. Millions thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times." "I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called 'Nigeria'. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, My AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team. Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn't be a threat zone for any individual. I have done according to our national anthem. "All my dreams came true in the national team, I dreamt to win Nations Cup for Nigeria after 20-years, I dreamt to played at the World Cup as well as to make a name for myself... In the space of five years, I got them. I'm a winner! "For every dissapointing fans, maybe due to my inability to re-establish my goal scoring instinct for Super Eagles, I will like to say I'm sorry but the ones I had scored counted well for the team. As long as Nigeria remains, you and I will always remember the name 'Emenike'. "Finally, I am happy to make a bow and continue supporting the team everytime. Up Eagles, God Bless Nigeria!

It is truly depressing that, by this somewhat meagre output, he runs Yekini close in terms of achievements, if not pure numbers. However, this just goes the flimsiness of such things as individual goal-records, and raises the tantalizing question of why he feels such a drastic step, equivalent of decapitation to cure a headache, is the best course of action for a goal-drought.

Two years, while a sizeable length of time in chronological terms, is not so in international football. Barring an international tournament, there are about six Fifa match windows in a year, and accounting for losses of form and injury, it is unlikely a player features in every one.

He is however correct to state his goals were of the optimum importance, even if not of optimum quality. However, he will not be missed, his contribution will not be mourned. Yekini’s goals at Tunisia 94 were the seal of his greatness; Emenike’s in South Africa could have been his launch-pad, but by his act of cowardice, he has denied himself the chance to truly become a national team legend. In truth, perhaps this demonstrates perfectly that this tier was always beyong him.

Posterity will not look upon him kindly.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/10/20/16495672/emenike-retirement-an-act-of-cowardice
Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by Geestunnar(m): 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2015
Lalasticlala come and see bro grin grin cool
Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by opeaceo: 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2015
I disagree with the post above, If he feels it is the right step, good for him, sometimes it is best to leave when the ovation is loudest instead of being pushed out of the national team. Nigerians are never supportive, any opportunity we have, we bring down our own, he is an adult and he should be responsible for the consequences of his action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by Geestunnar(m): 8:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
opeaceo:
I disagree with the post above, If he feels it is the right step, good for him, sometimes it is best to leave when the ovation is loudest instead of being pushed out of the national team. Nigerians are never supportive, any opportunity we have, we bring down our own, he is an adult and he should be responsible for the consequences of his action.
True talk. It was just like yesterday that he was awarded for his goals haul at afcon but I believe he is going thru a rough patch, hopefully he comes out goals blazing IJN

1 Like

Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by jieta: 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
This one everybody is retiring frm the national team i hope mikel dont retire too becos no matter how bad he is he is still the best we got
Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by Zeedarh(f): 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2015
Am i the only one who thinks 'retirement' is reigning now
Re: Emenike Retirement: An Act Of Cowardice by Geestunnar(m): 8:22pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zeedarh:
Am i the only one who thinks 'retirement' is reigning now
Nah, I m with you on this

(1) (Reply)

Man Of The Match Award Of A Ghanian League Match / Knrc-kenya National Rally Championship 2015 / Caption These Photos Of Chelsea Manager, Morinho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.