Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,873 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! (9132 Views)

Can I Use My Nigerian ATM Mastercard To Pay On Alibaba Website / The Most Common Scams On Alibaba And How To Escape Them / 9 Useful Tips To Avoid Being Scammed On OLX And Other Online Marketplace Platfor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 11:19pm On Oct 20, 2015
We all know Alibaba is the Largest B2B online Trading Marketplace in the world. This is a place where you can get suppliers without knowing their Physical store location or factory. Are you looking at venturing into online Importation Business? Where you can buy cheap goods in large and small quantities and make between 200% – 1000% ROI depending on the goods you are importing? Then, you are talking about Alibaba. There are thousands of cheap products you can buy on the trading platform ranging from Electronic Products, Children and Adult wears, Phones and accessories, Sporting goods and so on. Just think of any product you would like to buy and resell for maximum profit, chances are that you will find a supplier or Manufacturer on Alibaba that will offer you the goods at a dirty cheap price.
Although, Alibaba is a fantastic way to find Suppliers, Manufacturers or Distributors, there have been several reports about people getting scammed by unscrupulous Suppliers/Manufacturers that are available on the Trading Platform. Despite the efforts of Alibaba in ensuring that the Marketplace is safe for both the Sellers and the buyers, some dubious elements still found their ways to the marketplace and rip off unsuspecting buyers.
Having been a regular buyer on Alibaba for over 3 years, Here are my 6 tips not to fall into the hands of scammers available on the site, base on my experience.

⇨Never Buy Brand Names:
HP, Adidas shoes, Sony Plasma TV, Canon digital cameras are all available for purchase on the site. However, your purchase of these branded products would result in you getting counterfeits or not getting any product at all. If at all you get the counterfeit of these product shipped to you, it will be very hard to find customers that will buy the products from you, because there would be an obvious difference with your products and its original version available in the market. And if you are able to get a customer, its either you sell it at a very cheap price which might give you little or no profit at all.
Manufacturers like HP, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Nike, Adidas already have strict arrangements with select distributors/wholesalers which I’m not sure you would ever find on Alibaba

⇨Never Purchase a Supplier’s Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) Immediately:
The Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) is the least quantity of a particular product you can order before the supplier can do business with you, You will always see this on the product’s information page. Although, its not every product on Alibaba that has MOQ. But for the products that have MOQ, Its advisable you first order for small units of the product to have a glimpse of the product and detect any irregularities before going ahead to place order for the quoted MOQ. You should only go ahead to order for the MOQ provided you are satisfied with the sample you ordered for.
Although, Many suppliers will tell you that they have a MOQ on their advertised product pages, Most will work with you on small orders in order to build your trust, Most especially when you tell them you are ordering a large quantity but you want to test their product first by ordering a small unit.

⇨Never Believe Gold Suppliers Are Scam Free
There is a general advice that you should only do business with Gold suppliers. Gold Suppliers are those suppliers that have been verified by Alibaba and are perceived to be safe. However, there have been several resolved and unresolved cases about some Gold Suppliers getting money and not sending the goods to the buyers. This is to say scammers have also found their way to the League of Gold suppliers and nobody can be trusted again. But despite this, Gold suppliers still remain the safest set of suppliers to deal with on Alibaba.

** To confirm if a Gold Supplier is genuine or not, Just follow these three advices:

1. Use the Company name they provide to find their company website on Alibaba

2. If the products offered to you by a supplier is in a different category to those in Alibaba showroom, you may be dealing with a scammer. E.g if a company sells clothes but offer to sell you an iPad

3. It is advisable to contact suppliers using Alibaba TradeManager to confirm their company details and their genuine email address.

⇨Never Believe too Much in Free Samples:
Scammers are known to always use the bait of free samples to gain buyer’s trust and later abscond with your money or send you junks after placing a big order.

⇨Always Use The Escrow Service:
Whenever you are buying goods from Alibaba, Always make sure you use their Escrow service in making the payment. Rather than paying the supplier directly, you will pay Alibaba, who will hold the money till you get the goods and confirm your satisfaction. If you are not happy with the product after receiving it or you didn’t receive it at all, you lodge a refund complaint and Alibaba will refund your money.

⇨Always Do Your Due Diligence:
Always make sure you carry out some background check on the suppliers you want to transact with. Take your time to research on the Alibaba Forums if there have ever been any complaint about the supplier. check the number of years they have been around and the goods they majorly produce or sell.
Remember you are in this business to maximize profit and not to get ripped off by some unscrupulous elements. Hence, always do your due diligence before transacting with any supplier.

source: research projects!!

2 Likes

Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by sojax2cool(m): 11:20pm On Oct 20, 2015
Please tell them
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by monlawal(m): 7:56am On Oct 21, 2015
Please does alibaba ship to every part of Nigeria? Need answer ASAP. thanks
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2015
monlawal:
Please does alibaba ship to every part of Nigeria? Need answer ASAP. thanks

Tell the supplier you have your own shipping agent in China.
Use third parties like
-uche logistics,
-Nonikings, or
-happy day logistics, etc
to ship your items /products from china to any part in the state in "Nigeria"
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by monlawal(m): 8:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
jamarionj:

Use third parties like uche logistics, Nonikings, or happy day logistics to ship your items /products from china to any part in the state in "Nigeria"
Please how do I get the third parties involved
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 8:44pm On Oct 21, 2015
check the link....you will get every detail information about them.
www.nairaland.com/1819824/newly-found-shipping-agent-china
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by shezpwiti(f): 10:35pm On Oct 21, 2015
IS IT SAFE BUYING FROM ALIEXPRESS

1 Like

Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
shezpwiti:
Yes it is safe but if you have never bought from aliexpress I will advice you read the the importation thread (aliexpress version) here on nairaland before buying anything.
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by ikechukwu354(m): 11:29pm On Oct 21, 2015
bros me, pls what re d required Materials to join and operate with alibaba nd am residing in GH. pls send details to ikechukwu354@gmail.com thanks
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
MrJohnAgbo:

Yes it is safe but if you have never bought from aliexpress I will advice you read the the importation thread (aliexpress version) here on nairaland before buying anything.
John Agbo from Sabo?
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 21, 2015
iAmCharis:
John Agbo from Sabo?
From Makurdi
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 6:39am On Oct 22, 2015
shezpwiti:
yes. it's safe buying from aliexpress. Aliexpress is retail site.
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 6:44am On Oct 22, 2015
ikechukwu354:
bros me, pls what re d required Materials to join and operate with alibaba nd am residing in GH. pls send details to ikechukwu354@gmail.com thanks
residing in ?
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 22, 2015
MrJohnAgbo:

From Makurdi
Okay. I know someone bearing exactly that name, that's why I asked.
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 22, 2015
iAmCharis:
Okay. I know someone bearing exactly that name, that's why I asked.
Ok sir
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by ikechukwu354(m): 1:38am On Oct 29, 2015
jamarionj:
residing in ?
oga gh @jamarionj
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 2:28am On Oct 29, 2015
ikechukwu354:

oga gh @jamarionj
Ghana?
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by jamarionj(m): 9:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
HOW TO AVOID SCAM!!! ON ALIBABA...(UPDATE)

**Make sure they are not “two guys in an office”. If you can’t visit them, pay for a factory audit or for a background check.

** Avoid suppliers that don’t use a company email address. Some legitimate suppliers use @yahoo.com.cn or @163.cn addresses, but generally it is not a good sign.

** Call the number you see on their website and ask to talk to your contact (bad sign if you try 3 times and they never understand your English).

** Google [the company’s name + scam]. If you find several complaints from other buyers, be careful.

** Pay the first order by letter of credit, if possible.

** Only wire money to a company account, and to the account of the supplier.

** Issue a purchase order, and get it chopped by the supplier.
Re: Ways Not To Get Scammed On Alibaba!!! by Horus(m): 6:02am On Nov 18, 2016
Be cautious if a supplier’s company name and personal name are identical, or if they use free email services such as Yahoo or Hotmail as their primary business email.

(1) (Reply)

Banks Now Charge #100 /#105 For Fund Transfer Within Same Bank / NNPC & Agip To Increase Power Generation By 480MW - Pictures / CBN Orders Banks To Publish All Forex Transactions On FMDQ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.