Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,014 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks (3003 Views)

Protest As DSS Failed To Provide Ifeanyi Ubah In Court / Protest As INEC Declares Akeredolu Winner Of Ondo Election / Show Of Shame As Govt, Security Officials Turn Govt House To Boxing Arena (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by superstar1(m): 1:27am On Oct 21, 2015
Traders of Igbo extraction having shops along Secretariat Road, Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital on Tuesday staged a protest against "outrageous taxes" slammed on them by the Ekiti State government.

They also protested against the way the government had closed down over 100 shops belonging to their members, thereby subjecting them to unwarranted hardship.

During the action, a branch of Zenith Bank and NNPC retail petrol
station were shut down by officials of the Board of Internal Revenue, who carried out the operation, aimed at generating more revenues to the coffers of the State .

The traders marched from their shops to the BIR headquarters opposite Old Governor's Office and sang derisive songs tom press home their demands .

Special Adviser to the Governor on Revenue, Ropo Ogunjobi, was not on seat at the time the Igbo traders invaded the BIR headquarters.

The Igbo traders claimed that they had entered into an agreement with BIR for a tax rate of N5,500 only for the officials of the tax agency to storm their business offices Tuesday morning claiming that the agreed tax no longer subsists.

Source: THISDAY

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 1:35am On Oct 21, 2015
OP abeg post the link so they won't say you wrote this yourself.We all know the level of stvp!D!ty they're capable of exhibiting

Fayose my governor

Fayose my role model

Fayose is greater than Awolowo

Fayose the APC's nightmare

Only Ekiti Yorubas are good

We will only allow ekiti yorubas in biafra

IPOB YOUTH

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Aromas: 1:44am On Oct 21, 2015
In as much agreement has being reach between them and the Board of Internal Revenue BIR, closing down their shops won't solve the problem, only God knowns the sudden rise of tax collection among these opposition states, same also here Akure, the rate at which Mimiko boys are closing shops is getting alarming. No one is left out in dis tax invasion, so pay your tax
Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by YoruBanger: 1:53am On Oct 21, 2015
Whatever happened to the Ndigbo romance with Fayose? ? grin Besides, they should just quit whining and just pay their taxes like everybody else and move on coz truth is that they benefit more from the host communities than they contribute; e.g, they are better off in in Ekiti than in igboland where there's already stiff competition in the trading business they are known for - na we dey patronize their market coz we have the money to spend and if we no patronize dem no market - they hardly ever create employment in the host community nor employ non-igbo natives - they take all that money they make outside igboland back to igboland and build 'mansions' they only reside in during Christmas (yet they will falsely claim to be 'developing' the host community, abeg wetin dem develop? even the shops they occupy are rented), etc. And now they are complaining about taxes? ?

Long story short, they should pay their taxes or bounce. cool

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by playboy99(m): 2:25am On Oct 21, 2015
a good citizen pays tax

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by chinchum(m): 2:36am On Oct 21, 2015
Fayose, Ibos new Awolowo should come to their rescue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by M4gunners: 2:41am On Oct 21, 2015
No cause for alarm, i trust Fayose he will definitely do something about this; unlike some governors who deport citizen from their own Country.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 21, 2015
All SS and SE...start thinking home. One Nigeria is the biggest fraud ever known to humanity.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Ilekeh(f): 2:59am On Oct 21, 2015
Yorubas are collective, uno no wan hear word.

What do you expect ehen the Biafra King continues to advocate for violence against Yorubas.

Igbos and their hatred/pride brought them back to the 60s.

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 21, 2015
Fayose is sound enough to venture into such. Meanwhile, Ekiti state remain as one of the friends of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Movic1(m): 3:04am On Oct 21, 2015
Foyose is their Hero now,why are they complaining?
If you want igbo people to love you more than thier mum,just go against buhari.
If you are yoruba they will call you awolowo

Igbo they will call you Azikwe and

Hausa,walahi they will call you Balewa.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:14am On Oct 21, 2015
Let them take their protest to Kanu to come and save them.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by sammyj: 3:22am On Oct 21, 2015
Good for them. Fayose their role model! !! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by aresa: 3:24am On Oct 21, 2015
chinchum:
Fayose, Ibos new Awolowo should come to their rescue

slammed on them by the Ekiti State government.

Is Fayose not Ekiti State government? grin grin

Fayose the new ibo leader and superman, their new hero and role model.. grin grin

These ibo losers just can not catch a break, always losing. grin grin

Too bad the losers can not stop thinking with their emotions and warped sentiments.. grin grin

Sucks to be a villager... grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by aresa: 3:25am On Oct 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
OP abeg post the link so they won't say you wrote this yourself.We all know the kind of stvp!D!ty they're capable of exhibiting

Fayose my governor

Fayose my role model

IPOB YOUTH

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/igbo-traders-protest-as-govt-seals-off-shops-banks/223307/
Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 3:27am On Oct 21, 2015

14 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by codedslayer: 3:35am On Oct 21, 2015
Where is the koboko? Another flogging tinz. Yeebhoes oo. Lolz

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by menix(m): 3:47am On Oct 21, 2015
Paying tax is statutory, so i enshrine my igbo brothers to pay.

BUT!!!!

Truth b told, i was a pioneer when LIRS started its aggressive revenue generation, most igbos were exploited when its their turn to pay tax.
Most were given exorbitant amount to pay in other to meet their target and also meet up with the competition within the Tax Area offices.

I remember a Revenue office was created within LASTAMA/ VIO office at Mile 2, i pitied some igbo youth who had issues with VIO because after settling with the VIO's, the tax unit will give them an exorbitant tax to pay which most would not afford nd their cars/okada parked for days.

Most Igbo's got an exorbitant amount, some they reduce after they must have extorted 5 to 10k from u.

An igbo okada dude was given 35k as tax, With the usual Self assessment or Direct Assessment he should be paying around 1k plus, luckily he got his bike without paying a dime after i contacted some dude over there.

Most igbo traders pay multiple taxes, just imagine the Local govt monthly due, Internal revenue guys come for their PAYEE and Self assessment tax, finally the Iyaloja has her own u must pay..

The Igbo's should not be bled for the failing Government of Nigeria.
Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 3:55am On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

What do you expect ehen the Biafra King continues to advocate for violence against Yorubas.

you better watch it. Nobody picks a fight with igbos and wins...Ask the north how they are looking since after the war. God always fight for them, believe me. Ask your oba that wished lagoon death on them, now his people are dying in the lagoon almost everyday

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 21, 2015

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by januzaj(m): 5:26am On Oct 21, 2015
haaaahaaaa

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Warlord3000(m): 5:30am On Oct 21, 2015
Na wa ooo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by FreeGlobe(f): 5:49am On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

I trust fayose but he should make sure he checkmates the activities of yoruba muslims working under his government. Yoruba muslims are up to no good

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by QuotaSystem: 5:50am On Oct 21, 2015
liberty300:
you better watch it. Nobody picks a fight with igbos and wins...Ask the north how they are looking since after the war. God always fight for them, believe me. Ask your oba that wished lagoon death on them, now his people are dying in the lagoon almost everyday

Leave that your gully eroded one plot of land and TRAVEL. How the North is looking indeed grin

This is an aerial view of Kano, the state that single handedly built the longest fly over bridge in Africa last year without FG support, while all of your governors and businessmen are still crying and wailing for a second Niger bridge. Keep swallowing Biafra propaganda grin

Ibo losers! grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2663345_twittera87c5df_jpeg8b7ff34d087d9060cbf2185ccbbb5a6d
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2663346_twitter9a0488d_jpege9b96f7c62f6b0e9d722ba48d44a4d49

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Er0ticAngela(f): 5:54am On Oct 21, 2015
Alright
Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by ZUBY77(m): 5:58am On Oct 21, 2015
Government should be careful.
This is a bad time to target the Igbos
Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Nobody: 5:58am On Oct 21, 2015
every state and individual seems to be having a problem with igbos of late...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by disumusa: 6:03am On Oct 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
OP abeg post the link so they won't say you wrote this yourself.We all know the level of stvp!D!ty they're capable of exhibiting

Fayose my governor

Fayose my role model

IPOB YOUTH
the hand work of gorrilla ibo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by QuotaSystem: 6:12am On Oct 21, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
every state and individual seems to be having a problem with igbos of late...

They have successfully constituted themselves into a national nuisance with their 2015 campaign of hatred, irrational empty pride/arrogance, lack of tact, diplomacy and respect for others, sheer greed, selfishness and unpatriotism.

The laughable thing is they sacrificed their goodwill for a Jonathan whose SS people are now rejecting (ask Edwin Clark), and are now chummy chummying with Buhari (ask Ayade).

To worsen the humiliation, PDP that they engaged in all that shameless campaign for that made them national rejects, has also rejected Ndigbo and zoned their next presidency to the North grin grin

Instead of retracing their steps, they sought solace in Nnamdi Kanu who is now the source of their further heartbreak and ridicule grin

The Ibos did this to themselves undecided

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by Uniben4sure: 6:16am On Oct 21, 2015
Why is it that anytime the word "trader" is mentioned everybody associates it to the Igbo's As if other tribes are also not into trading. I'm pretty sure that a huge chunk of the protesting traders ain't of Igbo extraction.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by ibisko04: 6:16am On Oct 21, 2015
Pay your tax. It's once in a year thing. Don't allow tax officials to harass you before you pay.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks by tdayof(m): 6:29am On Oct 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Fayose my governor

Fayose my role model

IPOB YOUTH
your post shows the agitation for biafra os based on political reasons.

Well who cares.. No Yoruba state is going with you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Suspects Torutured By Civilian JTF In Borno State(See Photos & Video) / Anti IPOB People On Nairaland Are Hypocrites / The Guy That Wrote RIP On Pmbs Picture And Tweet Was Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.