Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling (5656 Views)

Jackie Chan Supports Death Penalty For Drug Offences / Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 9:51am On May 05, 2009
Are you kidding me? There are plenty of Nigerians caught up in messes like this. Check the prison population of countries like China or Singapore for instance. Nigerian drug mules are not scarce believe me.

Please do your research and stop spewing ignorance. Google is free and there for you to use at will.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Nigerian+drug+mules&meta=&aq=f&oq=
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by phoenixy1: 10:38am On May 05, 2009
What a pity.
It would seem that this lady is obviously gilty of the crime.
As it is said 'If you do the crime, be ready to do the time'
Im not surprised she went over the limit with Nigerian penchant for excess luggage and pushing our luck.
But in all this, one poingnant fact remains: HOW DID SHE GET PREGNANT IN THAT JAIL?
There needs to be a full scale investigation! Nigeria as a nation needs to get more involved with the plight of our citizens abroad. I know thats hard because as far as human rights is concerned, we need to pick the log from our eyes before we look outside. lol
Still musing,  HOW DID SHE GET PREGNANT IN THAT JAIL?
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Lagosboy: 11:30am On May 05, 2009
She could well have been tricked into sleeping with the powers that be in that prison to get her freedom or a light sentence i think. She is just 20 and could well get desperate bearing in mind no one knew she was held up in that jungle. The British authoriites came to know about it about 4 months ago i think.

It seems like a fact she is guilty of that crime and might have been doing for sum time. I hope she gets a light sentence though and we have to know the truth behind the pregnancy.

I am happy that this girl is now British as if she had still been Nigerian she would rot in that jail with no one knowing anything about her.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 11:33am On May 05, 2009
EloSela:

Are you kidding me? There are plenty of Nigerians caught up in messes like this. Check the prison population of countries like China or Singapore for instance. Nigerian drug mules are not scarce believe me.

Please do your research and stop spewing ignorance. Google is free and there for you to use at will.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Nigerian+drug+mules&meta=&aq=f&oq=
miss, i noticed you ignored some of comments and responded to the the comments that suits you best. sounds like selective something (cant remember that word) to me.
anyways, just incase you missed it please go through my post again and you might just see something you missed or maybe ignored. i'll give you a clue, it has something to do with 'AGE'
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 12:12pm On May 05, 2009
haha you're funny.
Age has nothing to do with it. The article is below is about a 12 year old child who lives in Nigeria but was recruited as a drug mule. Do you think he is the only one? You stay there and revel in your ignorance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-109557/Drug-mule-aged-12.html

[size=20pt]Drug 'mule' aged 12[/size]

by DANIEL JEFFREYS, Daily Mail

Add to My Stories A boy of 12 who flew thousands of miles carrying heroin worth £700,000 in his stomach was recovering in hospital last night after surgeons removed the containers.
Police in New York said the boy, a U.S. citizen who had been living with grandparents in Nigeria, is one of the youngest drug 'mules' they have ever seen.
He was only caught because his body began to pass the condoms the drug was hidden in while he was in a taxi.
Doctors who removed the remaining 'packages' from his colon said he would have died if one had burst.
Police said the boy, Prince Nnaedozie Umegbolu, made the dangerous journey because he wanted to see his mother, who lives in Atlanta, Georgia. He was to be paid £1,200.
His father, Chukwunwieke Umegbolu, is in prison in Virginia for drugsmuggling.
The boy's journey began in Nigeria where drug smugglers gave him the condoms to swallow.
He then travelled alone to London by Air Nigeria before flying on to New York by British Airways.
At JFK airport, a BA official helped him find a taxi, which took him to an address in Brooklyn, but no one was there to meet him.
Taxi driver Ronald Manning said Umegbolu then asked to be taken to La Guardia, New York's domestic airport, where he said he had arranged to meet a woman in the Delta Airlines terminal.
But when she didn't show up, Manning asked two police officers what he should do with his young passenger and was told to take him to the Port Authority Police, who would contact his mother.
However, he said: 'On the way there, the kid gets real uptight. He said: "We really don't have to go to the police''.'
Manning said he then asked the boy: 'Are you a runaway? Do your parents know where you are?'
He said Umegbolu told him: 'My parents don't know where I am. It's worse than that.'
He then began to groan in pain and started to pass some of the condoms in the back seat of the taxi.
Manning, fearing the child could die, took him straight to the police.
He said the boy told him: 'All I wanted to do was come to the States. All I want is to see my mom.'
Investigators are now trying to discover from whom the boy got the drugs and to trace his contacts in the U.S.
District attorney Richard Brown said: 'International drug trafficking has reached a new low in exploiting a 12-year-old boy by making him smuggle heroin into the United States in this way.
'The true criminals in this terrible case are the cold-hearted and greedy dealers of death who risked a child's life.'
Last night British Airways denied any responsibility for the case.
It said: 'We would never knowingly carry a passenger who we believe or know is in unlawful possession of drugs or under the influence of drugs.
'We would refuse the suspected passenger travel at the check-in.'
It added that because its policy is that children over 12 can travel as unaccompanied passengers, it was unlikely that Umegbolu had any special supervision.
Younger passengers are monitored by cabin staff during the flight.
However, law enforcement officials in the U.S. say the policy operated by international carriers makes it easier for drug smugglers to use children as mules.
They say it would be better if everyone under 18 was under special supervision.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 12:15pm On May 05, 2009
Lagosboy:

I am happy that this girl is now British as if she had still been Nigerian she would rot in that jail with no one knowing anything about her.

My sentiments exactly!
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 05, 2009
EloSela:

haha you're funny.
Age has nothing to do with it. The article is below is about a 12 year old child who lives in Nigeria but was recruited as a drug mule. Do you think he is the only one? You stay there and revel in your ignorance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-109557/Drug-mule-aged-12.html

i had a feeling you were going to bring this up.
but common, can you really compare a 12yr old who can hardly make his mind up to a 20yr old adult? c'mon now.

you know you are just being difficult.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 1:51pm On May 05, 2009
So essentially you are saying that there are no 20 year old Nigerians born and bred who have been caught in the drug mule business?

What about Amara Tochi who was exceuted in Singapore aged 21?
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 05, 2009
EloSela:

So essentially you are saying that there are no 20 year old Nigerians born and bred who have been caught in the drug mule business?

What about Amara Tochi who was exceuted in Singapore aged 21?
gosh, chill out ma'am.

i said, the chances of this happenning  to a nigerian that grew up in Nigeria is very very low, prolly next to nothing.

you choose to see and respond to posts that best suits you.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 2:37pm On May 05, 2009
OMO IBO:

gosh, chill out ma'am.

i said, the chances of this happenning to a nigerian that grew up in Nigeria is very very low, prolly next to nothing.

you choose to see and respond to posts that best suits you.

I say you are wrong and I have provided links and articles to prove that your statement was based on nothing but bs based on patriotism. Many Nigerians young and old in Nigeria are desperately involved in the drug trade as mules. As mentioned previously the only reason Samantha Orobator is getting press is because she is now a British citizen because there are tons of Nigerians on drug mule charges in foreign prisons with some currently awaiting death row yet no-one is discussing their case on the internet.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 05, 2009
Elosela, e be like say you and I wil not see eye to eye on this issue cos i also do not agree with your post.
I still maintain my stance. . . . . . . . .the chances of this happeneing to a young Nigerian is very very minute.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 3:28pm On May 05, 2009
Then we agree to disagree. smiley
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 05, 2009
Agree to disagree then.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Hauwa1: 4:39pm On May 05, 2009
I just came across this on AOL new just now.

Laos Won't Execute Pregnant Prisoner
CNN
posted: 1 HOUR 36 MINUTES AGO

Samantha Orobator, here in an undated file photo, faced death by firing squad in Laos on drug trafficking charges, but will be spared because she's pregnant.
BANGKOK, Thailand (May 5) -- A British woman facing possible execution in Laos will escape the death sentence because she is pregnant, a spokesman for the Laotian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday. The country's criminal law prohibits courts from sentencing pregnant women to death, spokesman Khenthong Nuanthasing told CNN. The woman's trial hasn't been scheduled yet, he said, but is likely to happen next week.
Samantha Orobator, 20, was facing death by firing squad for drug trafficking, said Clare Algar, the executive director of Reprieve, a London-based human rights group.
She was arrested August 5, Khenthong has said.
Orobator was alleged to have been carrying just over half a kilogram (about 1lb) of heroin, Reprieve lawyer Anna Morris told CNN by phone from Vientiane, the Laotian capital. Those found guilty of carrying that amount normally face the death penalty, she said.
Reprieve has said Orobator became pregnant in prison, possibly as a result of rape, and that she is due to give birth in September. That would mean Orobator became pregnant in January.
Khenthong agreed that Orobator is five months pregnant.
But he indicated that Orobator might have already been pregnant when she was arrested, and that she lost the first baby while in prison.
He said Orobator declared on the day of her arrest in August that she was two months pregnant by her boyfriend. After she had already been in jail for some time, he said, Orobator asked for medication to cure a vaginal infection, and he believes it caused her to lose the child.
Nuanthasing said officials are investigating Orobator's pregnancy.
Orobator's mother said she found out about her daughter's pregnancy in January. Jane Orobator told CNN she heard the news from the British Foreign Office, which has been monitoring the case.
There is no British Embassy in Laos; a British vice-consul arrived in the country over the weekend, the British Foreign Office said.
Jane Orobator said she cannot believe her daughter was involved in drug trafficking, and she was surprised to learn she was in Laos.
"I don't know" what she was doing there, she said from her home in Dublin, Ireland. "The last time she spoke with me, she said she was on holiday in London and she would come to see us in Dublin before returning to the UK in July.
"She is not the type of person who would be involved in drugs," she added.
Reprieve is worried about her health, especially given her pregnancy, Anna Morris said.
"She became pregnant in prison. We are concerned that it may not have been consensual and we are concerned that someone who finds herself in prison at 20 is subject to exploitation," she said.
Reprieve sent Morris from London to Laos to try to help Orobator, Algar said.
The lawyer arrived there on Sunday and is hoping to visit Orobator on Tuesday, her boss at Reprieve said. A British consul has also arrived in the country.
"I am the first British lawyer who has asked for access to her," Morris said. "She needs to have a local lawyer appointed to her. We are pressing very hard for the local authorities to appoint one."
She said it was normal in the Laotian justice system for a defendant to get a lawyer only days before a trial.
The last execution in Laos was in 1990, the foreign affairs spokesman said.
Samantha Orobator was born in Nigeria and moved to London with her family when she was 8, her mother said.

© 2009 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
2009-05-04 13:29:47
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by congoshine(m): 7:36pm On May 05, 2009
Yes,she obviously allowed herself to be banged hard so as to escape execution:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/05/laos.british.woman.death.penalty/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

cry cry cry cry cry
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by topup: 4:11am On May 06, 2009
She's probably a victim of human trafficking, anyone who reads a little about her background, will really think, why is a straight A/B, shy girl from the UK, going to be travelling from Holland, to Thailand to Laos. And also why would she >>CHOOSE<< to carry 'just' over the limit that implies the death penalty, if she was carrying a significant amount, then that makes more sense, than trying to carry 180g, that 180g could have saved her life.

Lord, I just hope she gets justice, NOT WHAT SHE DESERVES as most people call it, but I hope the Laotian government treat her like a human, or how they would like to be treated.

Whoever talked about slavery should be careful, they treat EVEN their own people like dogs too.

Another guy who was arrested actually admitted carrying the stuff, but said he it was almost at gun point, he knew who was behind it and everything, but they still executed him. If they were smart, they would have caught the guys behind it. To think he did to save the life of his brother from the Mafia,

The world these days sad
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Bastage: 10:11am On May 06, 2009
topup:

She's probably a victim of human trafficking, anyone who reads a little about her background, will really think, why is a straight A/B, shy girl from the UK, going to be travelling from Holland, to Thailand to Laos. And also why would she >>CHOOSE<< to carry 'just' over the limit that implies the death penalty, if she was carrying a significant amount, then that makes more sense, than trying to carry 180g, that 180g could have saved her life.

Which is why I don't think she was a mule.
As a mule, she would have been carrying a lot more.
My take on it is that she was buying and trafficking for her own profit. The amount she was carrying was probably the amount she could afford to buy. Carrying just over the limit merely shows her inexperience. A mule would carry a little under or a lot more - not just over the limit. And like I've said previously, the fact that she was smuggling it out rather than in isn't in her favour. If she was a forced mule, she was out of the clutches of whoever was threatening her once she left either Thailand or Bangkok. She could have just turned around and headed for either Ireland or the UK.

The way it looks is that she went to Amsterdam and had such a good time she ended up on a drug smuggling holiday.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by bigbumper(f): 6:27pm On May 06, 2009
Trust the British Government and the Labour Government to always find something to cover their shame lipsrsealed If they gave a rat-arse about her, why was this story not the news of the century when she was arrested far back in August 2008 cool
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by DisGuy: 8:07pm On May 07, 2009
^^^
they don't have any office in Loas, why are we assuming they get to know every citizen arrested immediately
especially in a country that wont allow suspect see a lawyer? Even HER MUM didnt know where she was!
And its not really the job of the government to put News in the papers, friends, families and local MP do that

I still think she was forced! she probably met a hippie in amsterdam who promised a good time in thailand, there she got 'kidnapped'

good thing she's not a nigerian citizen per se, or perhaps the mother have been trying to get the nigerian government to intervene and when nothing was coming up she turned to the British government
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by AngieFan(f): 6:53am On May 08, 2009
Dis Guy:

^^^

good thing she's not a nigerian citizen per se, or perhaps the mother have been trying to get the nigerian government to intervene and when nothing was coming up she turned to the British government

First point of call would have been the British government because by all accounts she was travelling as a Briton and not a Nigerian. Plus, given the reason the family were granted asylum in the UK in the first place I highly doubt that she had dual nationality with Nigeria. If she did have dual nationality with Nigeria then the British government wouldn't have gotten involved because in cases like this one has to choose one or the other. So the Nigerian government really don't have anything to do with this as she is not their citizen. But your right, thank God she's British because there are thousands of Nigerians languishing in foreign jails which the Nigerian government probably don't even know about much less care.

Latest news is that the British foreign secretary has signed an agreement which will allow Samantha to continue her sentence home in Britain wink which I suppose is the better of two evils because it is not unheard of for people to die in squalid conditions in Laos jails without adequate healthcare and only being fed two bowls of pig water and another of sticky rice a day. Hardly the nutritious diet required for an expectant mother. It was only a year ago that another Briton died in vomit and shit in a Laos jail after falling ill and being denied access to a Doctor.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Bastage: 10:08pm On May 09, 2009
big_bumper:

Trust the British Government and the Labour Government to always find something to cover their shame lipsrsealed If they gave a rat-arse about her, why was this story not the news of the century when she was arrested far back in August 2008 cool

The UK govt didn't know anything about this until a couple of months ago.

This smells very fishy. An innocent UK citizen can be expected to scream to high heaven for diplomatic help if they get into trouble in a foriegn country, embassy or not.

Someone kept very quiet about this for months before the UK was informed.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 11:28am On Jun 03, 2009
Breaking news: Samantha has been jailed for life. This is very sad but I hope this serves as a lesson to others. Hopefully she will get to spend her sentence in Britain. Britain will probably release her after she has done 20-odd years in jail which is better than not leaving the prison sentence at all.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Bastage: 12:39pm On Jun 03, 2009
And as I stated earlier, she got pregnant by another prisoner so that she could avoid the death sentence.
Her mother has confirmed that she wasn't raped.

The bitch has sentenced her unborn child to 20 years to save her own skin.

They should shoot her anyway.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2009
Well if she chooses to be transferred to Britain then the child will stay with her for six months before being released into the custody of her mother or other close relative.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by DisGuy: 3:40pm On Jun 03, 2009
I doubt she'll do upto 3 years in the UK, she will be re-tried when the dust is cleared and the loasian** legal system will be called all sort of name
plus it a shady bla blah country she'll be cleared and released! wink
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by blackmann(m): 8:45pm On Jun 03, 2009
see as the girl just mess her life up. at such a young age.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Bastage: 11:16am On Jun 04, 2009
Dis Guy:

I doubt she'll do upto 3 years in the UK, she will be re-tried when the dust is cleared and the loasian** legal system will be called all sort of name
plus it a shady bla blah country she'll be cleared and released! wink

She won't be released. The deal the UK has with Laos is that prisoners are transferred and that they will serve their time.
And of course she'll choose to come back to the UK. The prisons are like hotels compared to those in Laos.

This bitch got off lightly. Not only would her drugs have screwed thousands of people, not only has she sentenced her child to a prison term but on top of that, the UK taxpayer now has to pay for her.

She should be left in Laos to rot.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by JustGood(m): 12:53pm On Jun 04, 2009
Bastage:

She won't be released. The deal the UK has with Laos is that prisoners are transferred and that they will serve their time.
And of course she'll choose to come back to the UK. The prisons are like hotels compared to those in Laos.

This bitch got off lightly. Not only would her drugs have screwed thousands of people, not only has she sentenced her child to a prison term but on top of that, the UK taxpayer now has to pay for her.

She should be left in Laos to rot.

The goat was smiling to the media. No remorse.

She knew that the UK is a soft touch for criminals and that she'll get off lightly in the UK. Thats the same UK government which is killing Afghans for grow drug plants. They treat their own very lightly and go out of their country to kill the suppliers who happen to be foreigners.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by tpiah: 5:23pm On Jun 06, 2009
these women who get pregnant in jail- are they raped or is the sex sort of consensual? As in do some women intentionally seduce the male jailers?

Am just curious, not that I support rape in any way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy 51st Birthday To Barack Obama / E.X.P.O.S.E.D!! Ghanaian Voodoo Priest Has Seen More Than 1700 Pastors & Others / This Was The Beautiful Girl That Was Killed Yesterday!! By Hamas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.