Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,440 members, 7,836,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? (713 Views)

See 8 Reasons Why You Feel Pain, Tenderness And Burning Sensation In Your Breast / Different Types Of People When They Fall Sick (images) / Help, I Feel Sick After Taking A Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 21, 2015
It happens to me so I decided to share this smiley

In order for a person to estimate his location, the brain combines information from a variety of sources, including sight, touch, joint position, the inner ear and its own expectations. The inner ear is particularly important because it contains sensors for both angular motion (the semicircular canals) and linear motion (the otoliths). These sensors are called the vestibular system. Under most circumstances, the senses and expectations all agree. When they disagree, however, conflict arises and motion sickness can occur. Motion sickness usually combines elements of spatial disorientation, nausea and vomiting.
Consider the situation when one is reading in the back seat of a car. Your eyes, fixed on the book with the peripheral vision seeing the interior of the car, say that you are still. But as the car goes over bumps, turns, or changes its velocity, your ears disagree. This is why motion sickness is common in this situation. If you have this sort of reaction it is usually helpful to stop reading and look out the window. The driver of the car is generally least likely to suffer from motion sickness, because he not only has accurate sensory information from his ears, eyes and touch, but he is also controlling the car and can therefore anticipate turns, accelerations and decelerations. This position allows him to better calibrate his expectations of movement with the car's actual movement.
source

And heres how you can avoid it

1. Look up from reading every few seconds. When you do, look out at the horizon. Fixating on a stable object on the horizon and looking out the window will help your body to match the visual cues of motion with the physical cues like the vibrations.
Don’t try to focus on vegetation that is whipping by on the side of the road. It will make you more dizzy.
Holding the book up right instead of putting it down in your lap will make it easier to flick your eyes back and forth between the horizon to the book.
If you start to feel ill, you may need to look out the window for a few minutes before you can return to reading.

2. Minimize the physical sensations of motion while you read. This will help reduce the mismatch between what your body and your eyes are telling your brain. You can do this by:
Sitting in a more stable part of the car. The back seat is generally more rocky than the front, so you may do best if you sit in the passenger side in the front seat.
Leaning your head against a pillow or the head rest to keep it as still as you can.
Not reading when you leave the highway and start traveling on windy back roads. Your body gets much stronger physical sensations of movement as the car turns and this will make you more prone to nausea.

3.Open a window. The fresh air blowing over your face as you read will help reduce nausea and prevent you from getting too hot.
Fully opening the window may make the pages blow around too much, but chances are that even cracking the window a bit will help a lot.

4. Relax and don’t stress about it if you start feeling ill. Getting anxious will make you more prone to nausea. Instead take a break from reading and focus on relaxing. You can use relaxation techniques such as:
Deep breathing
Meditation
Progressively tensing and relaxing each muscle group in your body
Visualizing a calming landscape
Listening to music
Closing your eyes and taking a brief nap

5.Don’t smoke or ride in a car that smells of smoke. If you start to feel nauseous you will be more sensitive to irritants like smoke. Being exposed to the smoke may make you more likely to vomit.
Strong air fresheners may also have this effect.
Re: Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 21, 2015
I'll better not read while in the car. grin
Re: Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 21, 2015
KashyBaby:

I am a Filipina, I am a Professional Tourist...I am here to learn a new language, Nigerian Pidgin English smiley please be my teacher..I wanna visit Nigeria & if possible I can speak pidgin when I get there ..tnxxx
How much have you learnt?
Or Should I say...
U don sabi speak?wink
Re: Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 21, 2015
RobinLongstride:

How much have you learnt?
Or Should I say...
U don sabi speak?wink

Hahahaaha...I'm nervous when someone asking me how my pidgin grin tongue
Well I juz learn the basic...
Re: Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 21, 2015
KashyBaby:

Hahahaaha...I'm nervous when someone asking me how my pidgin grin tongue
Well I juz learn the basic...
Show me what youve learnt grin smiley
Re: Do You Feel Sick(nausea) When You Try To Read In A Moving Car? by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 21, 2015
RobinLongstride:

Show me what youve learnt grin smiley

Damn! cheesy challenging....I'm shy.I'm not tat confident of my of pidgin. embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Smoking High-potency Of Marijuana Damages Connections In The Brain (photos) / Must Read••reasons Why You Should Not Buy Frozen Chicken This Xmas / Mark Zuckerberg Took Daughter For Vaccination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.