Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? (21048 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 12:32am On Sep 19, 2012
This is a you tube footage made by a Jamaican linguistic about Jamaican patois..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnh_VD-JhJA

The Kromanti is a TWI language from Ghana and you can see the early Patois which seem exactly like early Pidgin English of Southern Nigeria before Port Harcourt itself was founded. Now let me explain the logic.. Europeans did not just enter Africa and jacked people away. There was interaction between Africans and Europeans and the AFRICANS may have tried to speak the white man's language. That trial would be a bad form of the language obviously. As time went on that trial improved and a proper bad form of the white man's language evolved. At this time slavery had not been introduced. Slavery was introduced years after that first contact and by that time Bad European language was already spoken in the West Coast of AFRICA especially at the SLAVE COAST . The SLAVE COAST was the Bight of Biafra (bonny ) Which then was the main territory of KALABARI IJAWS. This gave birth to the first bad dutch language by the KALABARI IJAWS. Speakers of this bAD dutch Language were taken to the Caribbean land of GUYANA, SURINAM, ANTIGUA, ARUBA, ANTILLES and Belize. Prior to that time the Portuguese had taken a lot of people including Yorubas, Igbos and ASHANTIS to Brazil and Colombia. But because the Portuguese people were kicked out from the area ,the bad Portuguese formed gave way to Dutch and french. Dutch mixed with French was the first bad European language spoken by the natives mixed with their native dialect. As the English came The English language was introduced and the natives mixed the Dutch / French bad language with the English. to form the first Pidgin Language. SLAVE TRADE commenced thereafter and the English took many of the people speaking this new bad language away as slaves to the CARIBBEAN Country where some earlier taken were already speaking bad Dutch which has now become BERBICE CREOLE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PH1TvEE8Vw

more than 50 years from then slavery was abolished by the English. The abolition of slavery gave birth to FREE TOWN where freed slaves from slave ships were placed. These freed slaves from slave ships were slaves from SLAVE COAST which is Niger Delta and people speaking BAD EUROPEAN LANGUAGE ALREADY . The pidgin they speak as freed slaves taken to free town was then introduced to the people there. Because freed slaves were not taken to GHANA and any where else they were deprived of Pidgin English. Western Cameroon speak it also because Western Cameroon was at the same zone with the Niger delta and had similar influence......

People should forget about the Nigerian factor of denying facts because their tribe were not involved. And people should stop hating the Ijaws. EARLY PIDGIN english had only Ijaw african words before other tribal words gradually got in . Even in Sierra Leone today there are Ijaw words in the pidgin they speak although Yoruba words have seriously taken over due to lots more Yoruba slaves that were released there later.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by onuwaje(m): 10:41am On Aug 13, 2013
killayut:

Warri people even use Kalabari words in their pidgin... the word kurusu which mean Canon used in WARRI in their pidgin is pure Kalabari.. Kurusu is Canon in Kalabari BUT kalabari people will not even say Kurusu when speaking pidgin.they say Canon.. In warri they also use the word Koso for the game Top and KOSO is a KALABARI top game where they use a type of Sea shell, carved specially and spinned, while it is spinning you cut the base to tumble tthe shell.If it tumbles upside down and rests with the cone side you win and play again..Warri use it in their pidgin and the KALABARIS DO NOT EVEN USE IT IN PIDGIN but It is a KALABARI game. WARRI is not even mentioned in the TRADING STATES OF NIGER DELTA history.. Meaning there was perhaps no WARRI even at that time. WARRI STARTED WHEN pORT HARCOURT was founded. There was no WARRI in The 15th century.
u are totally wrong my friend... Try research again warri is the home base of itsekiri(ijaw and urhobo) port harcourt was formed in 1913 and warri has been in existence since time immemorial(14th century)... Get d facts right b4 u jump to conclusion
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
onuwaje: u are totally wrong my friend... Try research again warri is the home base of itsekiri(ijaw and urhobo) port harcourt was formed in 1913 and warri has been in existence since time immemorial(14th century)... Get d facts right b4 u jump to conclusion

. There was no warri .The itshekiris just moved from ode itshekiri to warri which was just an European settlement owned by Ijaw. and Kalabari people have started speaking pidgin before Ph was founded. Early pidgin was full o ijaw words. na wah. That y'all say is pure Ijaw. Wah in Ijaw mean excess or too much.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by onuwaje(m): 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2013
killayut:

The itshekiris just moved from ode itshekiri to warri which was just an European settlement owned by Ijaw.
arrant nonsense!!!...... Like I said get ur fact right b4 posting
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2013
onuwaje: arrant nonsense!!!...... Like I said get ur fact right b4 posting

What is arrant nonsense ? ITSHEKIRIS still do not have cemetery in warri. They bury at ode itshekiri.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by onuwaje(m): 8:58am On Aug 17, 2013
killayut:
ITSHEKIRIS still do not have cemetery in warri. They bury at ode itshekiri.
correction!! The cementary ur talking about is a 'royal cementary' exclusively for monarchs I gat a few questions for u
1.Where is cementary road located in warri and why?
2.How come there are more itsekiri towns in warri?? E.g okere.ugbuwangue,ekpen,ubeji,omadino,ifie,obodo,etc??
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
onuwaje: correction!! The cementary ur talking about is a 'royal cementary' exclusively for monarchs I gat a few questions for u
1.Where is cementary road located in warri and why?
2.How come there are more itsekiri towns in warri?? E.g okere.ugbuwangue,ekpen,ubeji,omadino,ifie,obodo,etc??

Madino is not Okere and non of them is warri..Stop decieving the world..Your forefathers were not this stupid if not Ijaw people would not allow them to stay.you are inside ijaw territory and you can see it even in every way..Warri is a town settled by Europeans on ijaw land.those omadino and so on are different towns. But our argument is not even on that. Tell me one itshekiri word that is in ancient pidgin ..Non. all the words were Ijaw words from Potopoto to wah to worwor the am in sentence like do am or get am.

LOL.That's why Africans argue forever.Those are differeñt towns you mentioned and non of them is warri. THEY all just claimed the name Warri.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by onuwaje(m): 1:21am On Aug 18, 2013
killayut:

Madino is not Okere and non of them is warri..Stop decieving the world..Your forefathers were not this stupid if not Ijaw people would not allow them to stay.you are inside ijaw territory and you can see it even in every way..Warri is a town settled by Europeans on ijaw land.those omadino and so on are different towns. But our argument is not even on that. Tell me one itshekiri word that is in ancient pidgin ..Non. all the words were Ijaw words from Potopoto to wah to worwor the am in sentence like do am or get am.

LOL.That's why Africans argue forever.Those are differeñt towns you mentioned and non of them is warri. THEY all just claimed the name Warri.
get ur facts right nigga
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by onuwaje(m): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2013
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2013
onuwaje: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itsekiri_people
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/warri
www​.nairaland.com/63015/itsekiris
www​.nairaland.com/63015/itsekiris/2

LOL.. i can stay in my bed room and publish rubbish about any place and people on wiki.... wiki is nonsense.. I can even go to those your warri wiki and edit them to my taste.. Thats how useless wiki is...nairaland is where we at right now where people post what they think like what we are doing here .. Go to the ground ( the place and see things for your self... Ofunama in EDO state is Ijaw land. Infact the whole OKOMU region is Ijaw, The Egbema people in EDO are Ijaw . You can now see how Ijaw surround Itshekiri. That is one big fact that the Itshekiris are within Ijaw territory and they even share all their enclave with the Ijaws. Ijaw extend to Ondo with no other tribe in between them. That is enough to prove that the Itshekiri is in Ijaw territory ...
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by ThaFreeRadikal(m): 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
No one group can claim responsibility for the evolution of pidgin English, or any sub-dialect of any language for that matter... Languages naturally evolve over time; a word that was merely a slang a few generations ago could very well be generally accepted as part of the language today; it happens all the time, even in Queen's English. Informal dialects like pidgin English are even more flexible in absorbing words from other languages, be it Portuguese, Yoruba, Ijaw or any other language.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by itstpia99: 3:22am On Mar 09, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by itstpia99: 3:26am On Mar 09, 2015
meoo:
It was common at one time in Benin City to speak pidgin portuguese, you wont find many ppl in benin city who speak it. Most are very old ppl
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by itstpia99: 3:28am On Mar 09, 2015
gReenmAn:
sjeezy8 made logical sense.

How could the Portuguese have invented pidgin English, when they probably couldn't even speak
English themselves. The natural thing would have been for them to have tried speaking pidgin Portuguese
to the locals.
Unless of course the English language was already well established among the locals before the arrival of the Portuguese.

@ topic, I DON'T KNOW & CAN'T GUESS lipsrsealed

possibly the transatlantic slave trade contributed to this.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:53am On Mar 09, 2015
Portuguese traders and sea men first met the Igbo people before the Britian arrived igbo land. There was active commerce between the portuguese traders and the local igbo natives and other groups(Yoruba,Edo and Delta) living close to the sea. For communication purposes,the natives had to attempt speaking a few portugese words. This resulted to words like Pikin,Sabi etc. Pidgin is also know for its repetitive structure,e.g, Yama- Yama,Koro Koro, Doti Doti,etc.
We have PH derived pidgin, Lagos derived pidgin and Warri derived pidgin. Lagos is also a Portuguese word. Nigerian Pidgin is heavily derived from Portuguese language and was influenced by English during colonialism.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by tpiadotcom: 5:38pm On May 20, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 20, 2015
It's actually from Portuguese pequeno. The English pickaninny was derived from the Portuguese word.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by seppuku: 4:36am On May 21, 2015
Radoillo:
It's actually from Portuguese pequeno. The English pickaninny was derived from the Portuguese word.
I agree

I still believe the Pidgin spoken across Anglo phone west Africa was heavily influenced by the saro or krios of Sierre leone (Slaves descendants that returned to Africa)

Out of all pidgin speakers the Sierra leonian version is the closet to the Nigerian, followed by English Cameroon, Ghana and Liberia, which is the hardest to comprehend.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by tpiadotcom: 3:04am On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 22, 2015
tpiadotcom:

maybe so, however the pidgin word pikin, is from the English pickaninny. The English may have gotten it from Portuguese or Spanish.

No, that is not how it happened.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by tpiadotcom: 6:55am On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 22, 2015
The history is well documented. 'Pikin' is one of the handful of Portuguese words that African brokers picked up from the Portuguese slave traders.

Pickaninny just happens to be another word of the same etymological background. It's occurrence in the US doesn't imply that the West African 'Pikin' came from it. Both words (Pickaninny and Pikin) were independently derived from the Portuguese.

In fact, a more plausible argument ( more plausible than deriving 'pikin' from 'pickaninny', that it) would be that African slaves who were already familiar with the use of 'pikin' on the West African Coast, took the word to America where it developed into 'pickaninny'.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by tpiadotcom: 12:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Trying too hard? Wiki?

How many times have I stated that I don't get my info from Wikipedia, and that I don't take people who do seriously?

I...we...shouldn't be stressing over this. There are studies on West African Coast Pidgin by competent scholars that affirm that the word (along with at least half a dozen others) was borrowed from Portuguese traders during the time they were active slave traders on our shores. The English did not come seriously into that trade until at least a hundred years later. Even when the British (post-slave trade) began making their way up the creeks of the Niger Delta they found Niger Delta groups who still spoke tolerable Portuguese and its cousin, Spanish.

I don't know why you want to believe that during the centuries of direct contact with the Portuguese, the Africans couldn't appropriate that word until the English learnt it and transmitted it to them. Did the English also learn and transmit 'sabi' (from Portuguese 'saber') and 'dash' ( from 'dacio') to West Coast Africans?

Even in English-speaking North America, 'pickaninny' was originally used in reference to the enslaved Black Community, a fact that lends support to the theory that the word itself was taken to the Americas by West Africans who ALREADY knew the word from their dealings with Portuguese traders.

Besides all this, and on a purely linguistic level, 'pickin' is closer to 'pequeno' (pronounced 'pickino') than it is to 'pickaninny'...which on its own indicates a direct 'pequeno-to-pickin' derivation, and not a roundabout 'pequeno-to-pickaninny-to-pickin' derivation.

I'm actually surprised you want to argue about this.

1 Like

Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by tpiadotcom: 1:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
tpiadotcom:
You are trying too hard.

Do kid and pikin have anything in common?

Is kid also from portuguese?

I swear, I see no relationship between this and what we are debating.

But you know what? There's not gonna be an end to this. So, yes, 'Pikin' was derived from English 'Pickaninny'.

1 Like

Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by chijiblaze(m): 10:09am On Aug 25, 2016
tpia5:
What does pataki mean anyway?

Someone mentioned potoki as a synonym for portuguese in yoruba.

Not sure about that but pataki could be a loan word though i cant say for sure.

Can someone break down the meaning of pataki.

Pataki means Portuguese some people say Potokiri, still means the same thing.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by Sltp: 6:50am On Jan 07, 2023
Ifygurl:

Actually pidgin English didn't start in Nigeria. It started from Sierra Leone keorle(i think i spelled it wrong) and liberian, the slaves brought that language back to West Africa and spread it to every nation in West Africa. if you haven't noticed, every west african country that speaks pidgin english dialect are similar to Nigerian ones except they call there's something else. We didn't start it, Sierra leones and Liberians did, Yoruba (i believe) perfected it for Nigeria.

Nigerian pidgin is the oldest pidgin way back from the ancient Bini empire and the Iwere kingdoms when Warri and Bini had business relationship with the Portuguese. The pidgin was Portuguese based and mostly spoken by the elites before the coming of the English where it became predominantly English
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by RedboneSmith(m): 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2023
Lol.

The origins of Nigerian pidgin English is complex and cannot be studied in isolation from other varieties of pidgin English spoken along the coast of West Africa (Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ghana) and the English creole languages spoken by people of African descent in the Americas.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/common-ancestor-of-american-ebonics-and-west-african-pidgin-english/
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by AreaFada2: 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2023
OneNaija:
Some peoples say Pidgin English is from Portuguese.some say it is from Niger Delta from the Delta state peoples and some say it is from the Yoruba.I like to know.Share your opinion on this topic.
Pidgin has evolved over time. The earliest pidgin in Nigeria was Portuguese pidgin. In 9ja Delta, such as Benin, some of the elite and traders spoke Pidgin long before British colonisation. Some few elite spoke the official Portuguese in the 1500s already.
Even today, there are Edo words derived from Portuguese such as Ekalaka derived from caneca, a Portuguese name for cup to drink shots of hot drinks, Ekuye (spoon) derived from colher in Portuguese, etc.

Today, we say over-sabi, sabinus or too-know: It is from Portuguese saber (originally from sabere in Latin) to mean "know". Same root word for savoir (French), sapere (Italian), etc.

Yes, Portuguese was the foundation but over time, French, Dutch, Spanish, German and others were added. Today, Nigeria languages form a big part of pidgin. Considering history of contact (Benin, Warri, etc) with Portuguese, it's no surprise that 9ja Delta leads in Pidgin. ND has many tribes, so a neutral language had to develop faster. Whereas most SW people speak Yoruba and NW/NE speak Hausa, even among lots of ethnic minorities there.
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by B2mario(m): 8:34pm On Jan 14, 2023
Nigerian and some part of Cameroun spoken pidgin English is 70% coined from Igbo language mainly the Igbo dialects in Niger delta. Example using pure Igbo, Aba anglicized Igbo and pidgin English.
English: it is there
Igbo: O di ebe ahu
Aba anglicised Igbo: O di there
Pidgin: e dey there

English: what is inside?
Igbo: gini di n'ime ya?
Aba anglicised Igbo: gini di inside?
Pidgin: wetin dey inside?

English: I am fine
Igbo: a dim mma
Aba anglicised Igbo: a dim OK
Pidgin: I dey OK

English: where are you going?
Igbo: ebe ka I na aga?
Aba ngwa Igbo: ebe ka I di ga?
Pidgin: where you dey go?

English: it's been long
Igbo: Otego aka
Aba Igbo: Otee laka
Pidgin: I don tee

English: men
Igbo: nnaa
Aba anglicised Igbo: nna men
Pidgin: nna men

English: you people
Igbo: unu
Aba anglicised Igbo: unu
Pidgin: una

English: I am coming
Igbo: anam abia
Aba ngwa Igbo: a dim ibia
Pidgin: I dey come

English: what is your name?
Igbo: kee ihe/gini bu aha gi?
Aba ngwa Igbo: o bu gini bu aha gi?
Pidgin: wetin be your name?

English: who's there?
Igbo: onye no ebe ahu?
Aba ngwa Igbo: onye di ebe ahu?
Pidgin: who dey there?

English: greed
Igbo: anya ukwu (eye = anya, ukwu = big)
Aba ngwa Igbo: anya ukwu
Pidgin: big eye

English: --------
Igbo: akpiri ogologo (akpiri = throat, ogologo= longer)
Aba ngwa Igbo: akpiri ogologo
Pidgin: longer throat

English: what is it/that?
Igbo: O bu gini?
Aba ngwa Igbo: O bu gini/ gini bu Ihe ahu?
Pidgin: wetin be that?

English: boss/rich man
Igbo: Oganaya (short form: oga)
Aba ngwa Igbo: oga
Pidgin: oga

English: servant
Igbo: odibo (short form: boi)
Aba anglicised Igbo: boyi or boyi-boyi
Pidgin: boyi-boyi

English: he is serving
Igbo: o na emee odibo or o na agba odibo
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di imee boyi
Pidgin: e dey do boyi-boyi

English: I don't do it
Igbo: muwa anaghi eme ya
Aba ngwa Igbo: muwa adi imee ya
Pidgin: me, I no dey do am (y'am)

English: I don't know him
Igbo: amaghim ya
Aba ngwa Igbo: amam ya
Pidgin: I no know y'am (am)

English: what is happening?
Igbo: o gini na eme?
Aba ngwa Igbo: o gini di ime?
Pidgin: wetin dey happen?

English: he is going to Lagos
Igbo: o na aga Lagos
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di iga Lagos
Pidgin: e dey go Lagos

English: the water is on
Igbo: mmiri na agba (agba = run or rush)
Igbo ngwa Igbo: mmiri di igba
Pidgin: the water dey rush.

English: I am
Igbo: a bum
Aba ngwa Igbo: a bum
Pidgin: I be

English: it is (as in, it is my friend)
Igbo: o bu
Aba ngwa Igbo: o bu
Pidgin: e be

English: it is (as in, it is there)
Igbo: o di
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di
Pidgin: e dey

English: stay quiet
Igbo: no di jim or wayo
Igbo ngwa Igbo: no di Jim
Pidgin: dey jim (Niger delta pidgin) etc.

English: she is pregnant
Igbo: o di ime
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di ime
Pidgin: e dey pregnant/get belle
Re: Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:23am On Jan 15, 2023
B2mario:
Nigerian and some part of Cameroun spoken pidgin English is 70% coined from Igbo language mainly the Igbo dialects in Niger delta. Example using pure Igbo, Aba anglicized Igbo and pidgin English.
English: it is there
Igbo: O di ebe ahu
Aba anglicised Igbo: O di there
Pidgin: e dey there

English: what is inside?
Igbo: gini di n'ime ya?
Aba anglicised Igbo: gini di inside?
Pidgin: wetin dey inside?

English: I am fine
Igbo: a dim mma
Aba anglicised Igbo: a dim OK
Pidgin: I dey OK

English: where are you going?
Igbo: ebe ka I na aga?
Aba ngwa Igbo: ebe ka I di ga?
Pidgin: where you dey go?

English: it's been long
Igbo: Otego aka
Aba Igbo: Otee laka
Pidgin: I don tee

English: men
Igbo: nnaa
Aba anglicised Igbo: nna men
Pidgin: nna men

English: you people
Igbo: unu
Aba anglicised Igbo: unu
Pidgin: una

English: I am coming
Igbo: anam abia
Aba ngwa Igbo: a dim ibia
Pidgin: I dey come

English: what is your name?
Igbo: kee ihe/gini bu aha gi?
Aba ngwa Igbo: o bu gini bu aha gi?
Pidgin: wetin be your name?

English: who's there?
Igbo: onye no ebe ahu?
Aba ngwa Igbo: onye di ebe ahu?
Pidgin: who dey there?

English: greed
Igbo: anya ukwu (eye = anya, ukwu = big)
Aba ngwa Igbo: anya ukwu
Pidgin: big eye

English: --------
Igbo: akpiri ogologo (akpiri = throat, ogologo= longer)
Aba ngwa Igbo: akpiri ogologo
Pidgin: longer throat

English: what is it/that?
Igbo: O bu gini?
Aba ngwa Igbo: O bu gini/ gini bu Ihe ahu?
Pidgin: wetin be that?

English: boss/rich man
Igbo: Oganaya (short form: oga)
Aba ngwa Igbo: oga
Pidgin: oga

English: servant
Igbo: odibo (short form: boi)
Aba anglicised Igbo: boyi or boyi-boyi
Pidgin: boyi-boyi

English: he is serving
Igbo: o na emee odibo or o na agba odibo
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di imee boyi
Pidgin: e dey do boyi-boyi

English: I don't do it
Igbo: muwa anaghi eme ya
Aba ngwa Igbo: muwa adi imee ya
Pidgin: me, I no dey do am (y'am)

English: I don't know him
Igbo: amaghim ya
Aba ngwa Igbo: amam ya
Pidgin: I no know y'am (am)

English: what is happening?
Igbo: o gini na eme?
Aba ngwa Igbo: o gini di ime?
Pidgin: wetin dey happen?

English: he is going to Lagos
Igbo: o na aga Lagos
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di iga Lagos
Pidgin: e dey go Lagos

English: the water is on
Igbo: mmiri na agba (agba = run or rush)
Igbo ngwa Igbo: mmiri di igba
Pidgin: the water dey rush.

English: I am
Igbo: a bum
Aba ngwa Igbo: a bum
Pidgin: I be

English: it is (as in, it is my friend)
Igbo: o bu
Aba ngwa Igbo: o bu
Pidgin: e be

English: it is (as in, it is there)
Igbo: o di
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di
Pidgin: e dey

English: stay quiet
Igbo: no di jim or wayo
Igbo ngwa Igbo: no di Jim
Pidgin: dey jim (Niger delta pidgin) etc.

English: she is pregnant
Igbo: o di ime
Aba ngwa Igbo: o di ime
Pidgin: e dey pregnant/get belle

Boy, quit playing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Favorite Ethiopian Song / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Ways To Identify SA Tribes By Their Traditional Dance Moves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.