Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny (4291 Views)

Osinbajo Commissions The Construction Of Bonny-Bodo Road In Rivers State (Photos / VIDEO: Put Back Bight Of Biafra On The Map: Senator Ben Bruce / Nnamdi Kanu Taking Biafra To Another Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 2:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
The bight was renamed within independent Nigeria in 1972, when after the Biafran War, the Nigerian government wanted to remove the name of the secessionist Biafra. People who still consider themselves Biafrans live in various parts of the world today.
.....(extract from Wikipedia, 'bight of bonny')
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by ikubch(m): 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:
The bight was renamed within independent Nigeria in 1972, when after the Biafran War, the Nigerian government wanted to remove the name of the secessionist Biafra. People who still consider themselves Biafrans live in various parts of the world today.
Because they "bite" more than what they can chew!
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
ikubch:

Because they "bite" more than what they can chew!

who are the 'they'?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
Is hightime the name should be reversed back to bight of Biafra...

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by ikubch(m): 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
[quote author=xrisdon post=39346431]

who are the 'they'?[/quote
They are "they" so, you don't know" they"
Na wa for you oh!
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 3:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
Is hightime the name should be reversed back to bight of Biafra...

the point is that Nigeria government is hiding something from the citizens.

but you can't suppress the truth no matter how hard you try.

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 3:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
[quote author=ikubch post=39347463][/quote]

are you afraid to mention name or what?
don't worry nothing will happen to you grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:

the point is that Nigeria government is hiding something from the citizens.

but you can't suppress the truth no matter how hard you try.

I concur as they are reversing it, they will be giving us reasons why they twisted the name before...

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 4:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:

I concur as they are reversing it, they will be giving us reasons why they twisted the name before...

only if they will
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by ikubch(m): 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:

are you afraid to mention name or what?
don't worry nothing will happen to you grin grin grin
Thanks for the assurance. Now, they are "they"
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
fear that BIAFRA will rise again (which is already happening)
biafra must come i tell you, eziokwu Chineke

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 4:41pm On Oct 25, 2015
iamkeyz:
fear that BIAFRA will rise again (which is already happening)
biafra must come i tell you, eziokwu Chineke

how wrong they are! if that was their reason.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 4:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
ikubch:

Thanks for the assurance. Now, they are "they"

this is inborn grin grin
I give up grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by tevinsolt: 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2015
There's a town at the very south called Bonny.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2015
I hope nobody is trying to encroach into Bonny? We must learn to respect our boundaries if we must build relationship and sustain unity. For the record, the bight of Bonny is 100% Ijaw since time immemorial. Whether Bight of Biafra, bight or Bonny or Bite of Akure, the Ijaws are not complaining. This should be our(Ijaws) own issue but we are very very comfortable with the Bight of Bonny nomenclature.

Thanks OP and God Bless

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 5:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
tevinsolt:
There's a town at the very south called Bonny.

I know, the question here is.... the Bight being refer as Bight of bonny presently were once known as Bight of Biafra, and the Nigeria government changed it after the civil war ......why?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I hope nobody is trying to encroach into Bonny? We must learn to respect our boundaries if we must build relationship and sustain unity. For the record, the bight of Bonny is 100% Ijaw since time immemorial. Whether Bight of Biafra, bight or Bonny or Bite of Akure, the Ijaws are not complaining. This should be our(Ijaws) own issue but we are very very comfortable with the Bight of Bonny nomenclature.

Thanks OP and God Bless

sorry to say.... but you sounds bitter, did you quarrel with anyone before typing those words?

don't derail the thread please, if you must contribute.

the question here is why the change of name at that point in time?

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by Bobbystanley(m): 5:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Thanks OP and God Bless

I used to think you had common sense until now.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by zuchyblink(m): 5:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bobbystanley:

seconded

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:55pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bobbystanley:

zuchyblink:
seconded
Bobbystanley:

now, he is now your enemy ba?

you guys at dolts.

that bonny, na ur land e dey?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by Bobbystanley(m): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:

you guys at dolts.

You are a bastardized idiot.
Son of a bitch.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by kingzizzy: 6:10pm On Oct 25, 2015
The Government wanted to erase anything about Biafra especially from the future generation. Talking about Biafra became taboo, Biafra is not even on the history lessons

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by tevinsolt: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:

I know, the question here is.... the Bight being refer as Bight of bonny presently were once known as Bight of Biafra, and the Nigeria government changed it after the civil war ......why?

I don't think it matters, it is named after the town that matters
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
tevinsolt:

I don't think it matters, it is named after the town that matters

lets assume it doesn't matter as you said, but what informed the change of name in the first place?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2015
kingzizzy:
The Government wanted to erase anything about Biafra especially from the future generation. Talking about Biafra became taboo, Biafra is not even on the history lessons

you may not be far from the truth!

but they can't subdue the struggle by twisting the history.

younger generation will definetly ask questions from older generation.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by tevinsolt: 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:

lets assume it doesn't matter as you said, but what informed the change of name in the first place?

it would have been the war.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by disumusa: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
xrisdon:
its because biafra are weak and also failure
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 7:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bobbystanley:

take it easy bro.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by ezeagu(m): 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Thanks OP and God Bless

The Ijaw people own the Bight of Biafra? I don't know what to actually say.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 7:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
disumusa:
its because biafra are weak and also failure

could that be the reason?

what informed this your opinion, can you expatiate?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2015
Cc: OAM4J, Afam4eva, lalasticalala
from page please, so that we can learn our history, we don't have to shy away from it.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Government Changed Bight Of Biafra To Bight Of Bonny by xrisdon(m): 8:11pm On Oct 25, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:

you guys at dolts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Before We Become A Hated Region" / This Is The Pic That Always Make Me Laugh Even When Am Sad / Buhari Will Win Because This Election Is Between Yoruba And Igbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.