Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring (2444 Views)

BBNaija: Juliet Ibrahim Insulted By Miracle’s Fans For Saying He Is 'Boring' / Tboss Is The Most Boring BBNaija Housemate / Nollywood has done the worst???? ( sexual explicit pics!!!!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 6:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
Once upon a time, Nollywood was booming and I mean, really booming.
Actors and actresses were all over different locations like bees at their beehives as they were really making money as bees make honey.
But now the honeymoon is over and Nollywood is now boring.
Celebrity gossip blogger Linda Ikeji is now making more headlines than the most popular Nollywood diva, Genevieve Nnaji.

From making over 1000 movies per year, we cannot even count up to 50 movies per year now.
It is now once in a full moon to see a premiere of one Nollywood movie.
Can anyone recall how many times we have seen Genevieve Nnaji and Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde in Nollywood movies?
They are not even yet 40, but they are already acting like retirees.
Since the box office success of "30 Days in Atlanta" of Ayo Makun, aka AY, Nollywood has gone to sleep with few movies coming out like hiccups by a snoring man.

Hollywood movies are the weekly talk of the town with regular releases and Weekend Box Office hits making headlines.
But we cannot even make enough movies for a Weekend Box Office lineup.
South Africa is the only African country featured in the international box office reports.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/

Some observers say Nollywood has left the street and moved on to the internet.
No more crowds rushing for new movies at Idumota, Alaba and Upper Eweka in Onitsha.

Photo credit: http://myimsu..com.ng/2015/08/photos-from-making-mc-egbeigwes-latest.html

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by CountDracula(m): 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
I seriously can't recall nollywood ever being booming... Boring sure
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
CountDracula:
I seriously can't recall nollywood ever being booming... Boring sure

Are you sure?
What do you think made Nollywood the second to third largest home videos industry in the world?
That put Genevieve Nnaji on the Oprah Winfrey Show and then Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde on TIME 100 Most Influential People in the world and boosted the Nigerian economy to make it the largest in Africa.

Nigeria's Nollywood Boost - MoneyBeat - WSJ
blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/04/07/nigerias-nollywood-boost/
Apr 7, 2014 - In its new guise, service industries now make up more than half the Nigerian economy, versus less than a third previously. The Nollywood film ...
Nollywood Helped in Boosting the Nigerian Economy To ...

totnaija..com/2014/.../nollywood-helped-in-boosting-nigerian.ht...
Apr 9, 2014 - The Wall Street Journal and CNBC also credited Nollywood for boosting the Nigerian economy in the last 20 years. After a half-decade effort ...
Nollywood boost Nigeria's GDP - National Daily
old.nationaldailyng.com/trends/arts.../10344-nollywood-boost-nigerias-g...
Apr 7, 2014 - Nigeria has outstripped South Africa as Africa's largest economy after it recalculated its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) which is the value of the ...
Agriculture And Nollywood Will Boost Nigerian Economy To ...

www.nairaland.com/.../agriculture-nollywood-boost-nigerian-economy
Apr 28, 2015 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors
Nigerian economy will be the first in Africa to hit $1 trillion, USDep
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by CountDracula(m): 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2015
Orikinla:

Are you sure?
What do you think made Nollywood the second to third largest home videos industry in the world?
That put Genevieve Nnaji on the Oprah Winfrey Show and then Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde on TIME 100 Most Influential People in the world and boosted the Nigerian economy to make it the largest in Africa.

I don't care if dem put omotola for obama bedroom, I'm tellin u I personally can't recall nollywood being anythng but boring...
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
ughhh mehn...
30 days in atlant... 30 days in atlanta?? Really Is dat even a movie??

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by sissylucy(f): 6:54pm On Oct 25, 2015
nollywood z now messed up....they can never be realistic in their movies...
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by sissylucy(f): 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2015
shockwave91:
ughhh mehn...

30 days in atlant... 30 days in atlanta?? Really Is dat even a movie??

dat movie was "over-hyped"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2015
sissylucy:

dat movie was "over-hyped"
not just over-hyped. It was SH*T!! PURE CINEMATIC F(U)CKERY!

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
There is both no money to invest in nollywood as well as slow advancement and adoption to modern film-making technology.

The white man has perfected the art of story-telling and emotive translation through movies meanwhile in this end of the world we still celebrate movies only a level above high school grade stage dramas. I know no nollywood personality apart from Gideon Okeke who traveled out of the country to improve their acting ability. A lot of our nollywood stars are all content in mediocrity.

Also, the new government does not recognize nollywood neither are they willing to push money into the industry. Most of the films you'd hear of from the start of this new administration till the end would always get funded by private investors. The only government that cared for nollywood has been ousted and the president replaced with one with a colonial mindset. Only a young mind would factor entertainment into national development.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 7:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
I can see that you don't have much regard for Nollywood. Tunde Kelani, Kunle Afolayan and Michelle Bello have made good movies.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by nwarosa: 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2015
As long as piracy thrives, boring will be an understatement.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 1:31am On Oct 26, 2015
shockwave91:

not just over-hyped. It was SH*T!! PURE CINEMATIC F(U)CKERY!
Useless movie. Beautiful Nonsense.
Nollywood movies are wack with just great cinematography. #Finito

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 26, 2015
Orikinla:
I can see that you don't have much regard for Nollywood. Tunde Kelani, Kunle Afolayan and Michelle Bello have made good movies.
Even Kunle Afolayon's Oct 1 had plenty comas to be sincere. I only loved the vintage part of the movie, settings and Sergent Afonja.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by tpiah11: 3:09am On Oct 26, 2015
need to type something. . .. . . ..
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by tpiah11: 3:10am On Oct 26, 2015
e go better.

who told you they are not making their money though?
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 7:46am On Oct 26, 2015
tpiah11:
e go better.

who told you they are not making their money though?

Project ACT Nollywood has given them more than N1 billion so far.
Dozens went to the US, UK and India for advanced workshops on film making.
[size=18pt]
PROJECTACT: THE JOURNEY SO FAR

PROJECTACT: THE JOURNEY SO FAR Since the launch of projectACT Nollywood, several beneficiaries have emerged. Click on Link for more details on the journey so far. http://projectactnollywood.com.ng/Documents/67916917dc02ff5b173e84e0fa8b9c3f20355f7d_documents.pdf

Project ACT Out-Performed
Against Output Targets

Output A: Training System Developed Or Supported By Project ACT
Target 1 -
Number of People Attending Training Courses 100 (by Dec 2014)
v
Number of industry practitioners who attended training course via CBF grants was 206 as at Dec 2014
v
Additional trainees are to be identified in Jan/Feb 2014 as a result of the re-opened CBF platform
Target 2
-
Number of training institute supported: 5 (by Dec 2014)
v
The number of film schools supported by CBF is 7
Output B: Film Production System Strengthened Or Developed
Target 3 -
Number of movie scripts funded: 40 (by Dec 2014)
v
The number of films supported by FPF as at Dec 2014 is 93
Output C: Film Distribution System Strengthened With Support From ACT
Target 4 -
Number of distribution projects implemented: 5 (2014-2015)
v
IDF launched on 19 January 2015
Output D
:
New or Improved Legislation, Regulation or Policies To Support Film Industry Drafted
Target 5 -
Improved legislation/regulation for film distribution (2014-15)
v
Consultations on distribution held in Kano,
Asaba
, Abuja, Lagos and with NCC & NFVCB [/size]
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
Useless movie. Beautiful Nonsense. Nollywood movies are wack with just great cinematography. #Finito
woah shocked u think they have great cinematography?? shocked damn!
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
shockwave91:

woah shocked u think they have great cinematography?? shocked damn!
. October 1 was a well nade movie. Lest we forget, we have well trained directors in Nollywood, but they need better screenwriters. Many Nollywood screenplays are full of cliches. The screenwriters need to be more intellectual.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 26, 2015
Orikinla:
. October 1 was a well nade movie. Lest we forget, we have well trained directors in Nollywood, but they need better screenwriters. Many Nollywood screenplays are full of cliches. The screenwriters need to be more intellectual.

Err...
1. October 1st was below average & far from well made. Kunle's choices in using non-linear neo-noir storytelling turned d plot of the movie into crap-fest. Some parts of d movie while well shot, d rest of it looked like an NTA production. If u're looking for a good well made nollywood movie, i'll suggest IJE.

2. Yes, u r correct. The screenwriters write like dey went to a skill acquisition centre as opposed to an art school. *in obama's voice* Annnd i would like to add to that. For me d major problem with nollywood productions is that despite the fact that they r lazily made, they hardly have any traceable element of fiction in their works. I don't think i can call a NW movie a work of fiction. It's always so blatantly realistic(in a very idiyotic way)! that it makes d movies unbearable to watch. U're not able to suspend belief, there's no escapism etc which is what movies r supposed to be about. ALL the movies for me have dat problem. They should learn to put fiction in their works. Not to much so as to not make d movie feel weird & cartoonish, but just enough to let us know it's a movie!!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by nwarosa: 10:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
The blame game goes on. Who who can make films are handicapped while pirates and marketers who made them so are the ones now making crappy movies in quantity.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by Orikinla(m): 6:27pm On Oct 27, 2015
nwarosa:
The blame game goes on. Who who can make films are handicapped while pirates and marketers who made them so are the ones now making crappy movies in quantity.

Michelle Bello makes good movies, from "Small Boy" to "Flower Girl". She directs with her heart and soul.
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by samorobo: 2:51am On Dec 13, 2018
as much as I would like to commend the recent effort of nollywood movies I must say the industry is still lagging behind and as such cannot be cited as hollywood counterpart. ......I would like to list out some few opoint on which I think more work need to be done in making nollywood a globally recognised movie industry of I would elucidate greatly on
FUNDIND----Most nollywood filmmaker complain of lack of funds that why you watch a typical nollywood movie you notice some times the stories are great and the has an amazing concept of telling this story but he or she can't .because potraying to his desired taste might cost him more money and that one luxury he can't afford. ...in truth nollywood movies are poorly funded ranging from the the trashy home videos to the cinematic ones......now you ask your self why are they lacking adequate funding ? Most filmmaker put forward to investors a poor story and some it just us africans facing the major prejudice from other part of the world, as they believe any thing african is rubbish and would not like invest in it but the truth is a wonderful story( I mean a consistent one) can change these narrative and attract foreign investors .......movies are not suppose to be self funded that why most nigerian actors lacks special luxury attach to an actor on set and at the end they paid badly compared to the amount hollywood actors earn which is as a result of the massive investment and appropriate channels to push these movies globally so it could be sold ....I mean we seen or heard cases where movies boosted countries gdp growth........

Permit me to say that nollywood movies lack suspense ,fiction,fantasy I mean the list is endless.... these are things that spice a movie up and get the audience captivated,trust the white men have mastered the craft of supense and fiction

CINEMA_____the entire african continent those not enough cinemas ti view these movies and even in countries that we have most of are earnestly waiting for it to leave the cinema so we can watch it for free as if the makers shot it for free

I think I should stop here because I can go on highlighting our problems......but trust no hard feelings just to stir up some change in that emerging industry......

THANKS
Re: Nollywood Has Gone From Booming To Boring by samorobo: 2:52am On Dec 13, 2018
Orikinla:

Michelle Bello makes good movies, from "Small Boy" to "Flower Girl". She directs with her heart and soul.
samorobo:
as much as I would like to commend the recent effort of nollywood movies I must say the industry is still lagging behind and as such cannot be cited as hollywood counterpart. ......I would like to list out some few opoint on which I think more work need to be done in making nollywood a globally recognised movie industry of I would elucidate greatly on
FUNDIND----Most nollywood filmmaker complain of lack of funds that why you watch a typical nollywood movie you notice some times the stories are great and the has an amazing concept of telling this story but he or she can't .because potraying to his desired taste might cost him more money and that one luxury he can't afford. ...in truth nollywood movies are poorly funded ranging from the the trashy home videos to the cinematic ones......now you ask your self why are they lacking adequate funding ? Most filmmaker put forward to investors a poor story and some it just us africans facing the major prejudice from other part of the world, as they believe any thing african is rubbish and would not like invest in it but the truth is a wonderful story( I mean a consistent one) can change these narrative and attract foreign investors .......movies are not suppose to be self funded that why most nigerian actors lacks special luxury attach to an actor on set and at the end they paid badly compared to the amount hollywood actors earn which is as a result of the massive investment and appropriate channels to push these movies globally so it could be sold ....I mean we seen or heard cases where movies boosted countries gdp growth........

Permit me to say that nollywood movies lack suspense ,fiction,fantasy I mean the list is endless.... these are things that spice a movie up and get the audience captivated,trust the white men have mastered the craft of supense and fiction

CINEMA_____the entire african continent those not enough cinemas ti view these movies and even in countries that we have most of are earnestly waiting for it to leave the cinema so we can watch it for free as if the makers shot it for free

I think I should stop here because I can go on highlighting our problems......but trust no hard feelings just to stir up some change in that emerging industry......

THANKS
����

(1) (Reply)

What Is That One Movie That You Will Love To Watch Once Again / New Nollywood Movie "More Or Less" / How To Download Any Movie In HD Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.