Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! (2790 Views)

Igbo's should not be in higly volatile and under-developed states like Bayelsa / RIVERS 2019: Ndoki-igbo Should Produce Next Governor / Igbo Should Talk About Presidency After Buhari – Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by dreycomalfoy(m): 3:03am On Oct 26, 2015
So recent Biafran protests have got me thinking, but I have been skeptical about airing my views because of perceived reactions.

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE PERSONAL VIEWS, AND I, IN NO WAY CLAIM SUPREMACY OF KNOWLEDGE. FOR THE "GREYS" WHO THINK I AM TOO YOUNG TO SPEAK OF THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE PERMIT THIS CHILD TO SPEAK, THEN CORRECT HIM IF HE IS WRONG. FOR IGNORANCE CAN ONLY BE KNOWN IF IT IS AIRED, AND CAN ONLY BE CORRECTED IF IT IS KNOWN.

My points are as follows:

1. According to worldometers the median age of Nigeria is 17.8, hence an "average " did not experience the civil war.

2.This is the age statistics of Nigeria as at 2014 is as follows:
0-14 years: 43.2%
15-24 years: 19.3%
25-54 years: 30.5%
55-64 years: 3.9%
65 years and over: 3.1% (indexmundi.com)
In simpler statistics 93% of Nigerians were 5 and below in 1967.

3. According to Wikipedia, youth age range is between 18-35. Hence no present day Nigerian youth saw the civil war.

My first question: since over 90% percent of us neither saw the civil war nor participated actively, and our youth were born 10 years after the war, where is all the hate and agitation from?

4. The major driving force of Biafra is the igboland, but the Biafran map includes states like Cross river, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom state. This makes Biafra a culturally diverse state. I am igbo and i currently live in Akwa Ibom state, and we share no similarity in custom or language. How then can we live together as "one Biafra" when we can't tolerate the cultural diversity of Nigeria.

5. The Igbo tribe would become the majority tribe in Biafra, while the others who constitute the oil producing states hence the 'rich boys' would become minority. "How can the wealth most especially that from oil be distributed, when the majority is in power and the minority have the resource?"
So therefore, a time may come when the "minority" may decide to be free, because no man wants to live in another man's shadow.

6. Igbos are generally regarded as traders, and the lifeblood of their markets like Onitsha Main market and Ariaria international market is found in Lagos seaport where most of the goods come from. In Biafra, Lagos becomes another country hence tax and import/ export levies would increase drastically and logistics would become more difficult.
The other option is to trade via the Calabar Port, Delta Port or Rivers Port at Port Harcourt, and Onne. These ports are only found in the non-igbo states, hence another potential challenge.

7. What happens to Biafrans that have their livelihood rooted deeply in non biafran states? What happens to the igbos that constitute the majority of Alaba international market?
Would naturalization take place or would they liquidate assets and return to Biafra and start afresh?

8. Finally, the question of rulership. Who rules Biafra?
Currently, most Igbo people especially those in Abia and Imo state are dissatisfied with the condition of their states. They complain of bad government, massive looting, poor infrastructures etc, and they are currently ruled by Igbo governors.
If Biafra is formed who would rule then?
I believe it would be the same people that they complain of, and as you can see the cycle of pain and complaints would continue.

Problems are fixed by inward reflections not outward projections and blame shifting.

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, FOR A CHILD WHO DID NOT SEE THE WAR HAS SPOKEN......................Written by Okechuckwu Jonnwakalo on Facebook

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by hardewalex23(m): 3:07am On Oct 26, 2015
ok
Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Pavore9: 3:25am On Oct 26, 2015
Well written as there is nothing wrong in asking questions, a wise mind would make attempt to clinically answer them while the empty minds would hurl insults.

10 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Nobody: 3:42am On Oct 26, 2015
You are really daft...

I can remember these questions have all been tackled and brought down. Why recycling it again....

Besides that you didn't see the civil war is not an excuse for being ignorant of what transpired in the days of your fathers...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Khd95(m): 3:53am On Oct 26, 2015
Some pple would still tribalise dis thread.

Like d guy above megrin

7 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by simplycarro: 3:56am On Oct 26, 2015
Eboes are the greatest beneficiary of a One Nigeria, but it's time they go home to Biafra! All of them!

2 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by slyng(m): 4:02am On Oct 26, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
You are really daft...

I can remember these questions have all been tackled and brought down. Why recycling it again....

Besides that you didn't see the civil war is not an excuse for being ignorance of what aspired in the day of your father's...

you are dafter

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Louisville141(m): 4:08am On Oct 26, 2015
I have great respect for rational thinkers.
Its a gift

3 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by tpiah11: 4:11am On Oct 26, 2015
2.This is the age statistics of Nigeria as at 2014 is as follows:
0-14 years: 43.2%
15-24 years: 19.3%
25-54 years: 30.5%
55-64 years: 3.9%
65 years and over: 3.1% (indexmundi.com)

these figures were compiled where/when?

3 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by chuks87(m): 4:13am On Oct 26, 2015
Well dnt worry abt me .. am a full blooded Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 26, 2015
slyng:
you are dafter

So this is the only words you can mutter...
Even as old as you are??
You opened your account since 2007...
That means this year, you have been in Nairaland for 8yrs...
You are not a kid but it still baffles me that as old as you are you still reason like a kid... Smh.

4 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Nobody: 4:22am On Oct 26, 2015
Khd95:
Some pple would still tribalise dis thread.

Like d guy above megrin
Oga better explain what you meant...
Before sango go strike you as you dey sleep...

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by DIVINE78: 4:38am On Oct 26, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
You are really daft...

Besides that you didn't see the civil war is not an excuse for being ignorance of what aspired in the day of your father's...

You're very empty.

6 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Warlord3000(m): 4:40am On Oct 26, 2015
Gosh..... Again

Nonetheless.. It will be quite refreshing and enlightening if someone comes around and dissect the OP's point one by one without spilling out venom and abusive attacks.

Am ready to learn wink

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by IlekeHD: 4:43am On Oct 26, 2015
Yo, can y'all carry your noise to Linda Ikeji?

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 26, 2015
DIVINE78:

You're very empty.

Y can't you deliberate on the bone of contention? ...
Must you display your cone head amalaa ofee mmanu style of stupidity before you drive home a point?
Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by LajaLaba: 4:50am On Oct 26, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:

Y can't you deliberate on the bone of contention? ...
Must you display your cone head amalaa ofee mmanu style of stupidity before you drive home a point?
Your gra gra dey too much who u be sef

4 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Nobody: 5:01am On Oct 26, 2015
LajaLaba:
Your gra gra dey too much who u be sef

Check my signature you will know me well...
Besides am also one of those that gives you and your kins from Southwest their unending ever tragic nightmare...
Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by respect80(m): 5:02am On Oct 26, 2015
One Nigeria please.
It's unfortunate that some of our igbo brothers and sisters have failed to realize that we have all fallen into a similar Ocean of doom driven by corrupt individuals which no state of this federation can deny having their likes. It must be generally understood that this people can only be overcome by a civilized mind which is something we should all pray to attain in the nearest future because our determination to see goodness in people has unfortunately become our undoing.
Take for instance, if the Biafrans feel oppressed, why then do we still have this issue of corruption all over the states why do we all share common problems such as bad roads, water, inadequate medical cares, electricity, unemployment, hunger(basic infrastructure) in fact you know better. We should learn to tackle our problems from the closest source because with the wealth of this country every citizen of this country should and can live beyond absolute poverty level just that we have been subdued by wicked individuals who are basically concern about their wellbeing only.
Note ; a civilized mind as stated above is one which do not vote for political parties but for individuals whom they prefer because most Nigerian youths today have personalized political parties even more than religion such that even if a monster is given the mandate of the party which they choose to belong, they still go ahead to vote that monster into power just to feel in their minds that it's the party they have chosen who is in power.
To wrap it all, the igbos should stop personalizing a common problem being shared all over this country because we all feel oppressed by this monsters and secession is not and can never be an answer to our problems rather a careful thought about situations, upgrading our minds to displace sentiments among ourselves and educating one another is a better approach.
Good morning peeps wink

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by funmilade4real(m): 5:29am On Oct 26, 2015
tpiah11:

Let's just be honest with ourselves,not all Ibos are myopic. But majority of them.

Okorocha and Igbokwe once said it

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by tpiah11: 5:55am On Oct 26, 2015
Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Ngasky(m): 5:58am On Oct 26, 2015
very rational thinking by the op

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by theDEVILisHERE: 6:14am On Oct 26, 2015
respect80:
One Nigeria please.
It's unfortunate that some of our igbo brothers and sisters have failed to realize that we have all fallen into a similar Ocean of doom driven by corrupt individuals which no state of this federation can deny having their likes. It must be generally understood that this people can only be overcome by a civilized mind which is something we should all pray to attain in the nearest future because our determination to see goodness in people has unfortunately become our undoing.
Take for instance, if the Biafrans feel oppressed, why then do we still have this issue of corruption all over the states why do we all share common problems such as bad roads, water, inadequate medical cares, electricity, unemployment, hunger(basic infrastructure) in fact you know better. We should learn to tackle our problems from the closest source because with the wealth of this country every citizen of this country should and can live beyond absolute poverty level just that we have been subdued by wicked individuals who are basically concern about their wellbeing only.
Note ; a civilized mind as stated above is one which do not vote for political parties but for individuals whom they prefer because most Nigerian youths today have personalized political parties even more than religion such that even if a monster is given the mandate of the party which they choose to belong, they still go ahead to vote that monster into power just to feel in their minds that it's the party they have chosen who is in power.
To wrap it all, the igbos should stop personalizing a common problem being shared all over this country because we all feel oppressed by this monsters and secession is not and can never be an answer to our problems rather a careful thought about situations, upgrading our minds to displace sentiments among ourselves and educating one another is a better approach.
Good morning peeps wink

One nigeria is only for fools
Cause us only a fool who chooses slavery over freedom

Biafra is the goal
Nothing more nothing less

4 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by respect80(m): 6:27am On Oct 26, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

One nigeria is only for fools
Cause us only a fool who chooses slavery over freedom

Biafra is the goal
Nothing more nothing less
Did you read my post or you just feel like quoting someone
I didn't ask anyone to choose slavery over freedom I'm trying to make you understand that we share similar problems.

Who cares, The whole world can go ahead and become one if humans are ready to tolerate one another but without tolerance there can still be problems in a family of four.
As funny as it may sound, do you know there are American citizens who feel oppressed even with the level of development in their country
Take it or leave it secession isn't an answer and will never be.

3 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by theDEVILisHERE: 6:28am On Oct 26, 2015
@op
Stop wasting your time asking these questions
Biafrans have answered most of these questions
Their focus is on restoring biafra
No amount of blackmailing,confusing, twisting will stop the mission

Stop stressing yourself

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Laveda(f): 6:37am On Oct 26, 2015
The igbos' would never listen. . .

2 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Khd95(m): 6:45am On Oct 26, 2015
NOBLEDANDY:
Oga better explain what you meant...
Before sango go strike you as you dey sleep...

gerraway wit ur hard as$,sango kho
Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by theDEVILisHERE: 7:21am On Oct 26, 2015
respect80:

Did you read my post or you just feel like quoting someone
I didn't ask anyone to choose slavery over freedom I'm trying to make you understand that we share similar problems.

Who cares, The whole world can go ahead and become one if humans are ready to tolerate one another but without tolerance there can still be problems in a family of four.
As funny as it may sound, do you know there are American citizens who feel oppressed even with the level of development in their country
Take it or leave it secession isn't an answer and will never be.

I read your post before I commented
Biafra is not about secession
Biafra is about restoration
It is about freedom from the shackles of a slave camp created for the sole purpose keeping you backward and restricting your progress
Weither we have the same problems does not matter
Some people want to solve their problems
Others seem ok with their situation

And No
The whole world is not one
Everyone should be within their own space
We should only relate based on mutual interest
That way we'll avoid all this confussion going on the world

2 Likes

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by akmusty(m): 7:47am On Oct 26, 2015
Kudos to the OP, personally I love people with point and I believe any of the E-biafran lords can shed light on the raised issues but if we can't find someone who can do that but have the gut to rant here day means such are not reasonable. I want to believe in any environment which is sane there should be questions and the reasonable people should be able to proffer answer if they are objective.Still waiting

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Yomboy4ever(m): 8:36am On Oct 26, 2015
tpiah11:

Nigeria and 2014 And how old are you and did u witness d civil war ? Let's see if d guy is right or wrong with his argument.

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by Yomboy4ever(m): 8:39am On Oct 26, 2015
akmusty:
Kudos to the OP, personally I love people with point and I believe any of the E-biafran lords can shed light on the raised issues but if we can't find someone who can do that but have the gut to rant here day means such are not reasonable. I want to believe in any environment which is sane there should be questions and the reasonable people should be able to proffer answer if they are objective.Still waiting

Some pple will not agree with you , u go see how dem go pounce on u later

1 Like

Re: What We Igbo Should Know Before We Shout Biafra!! by respect80(m): 8:40am On Oct 26, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

I read your post before I commented
Biafra is not about secession
Biafra is about restoration
It is about freedom from the shackles of a slave camp created for the sole purpose keeping you backward and restricting your progress
Weither we have the same problems does not matter
Some people want to solve their problems
Others seem ok with their situation

And No
The whole world is not one
Everyone should be within their own space
We should only relate based on mutual interest
That way we'll avoid all this confussion going on the world

Well, whether Biafra or no Biafra it's nice to understand that this shackles of slavery you speak of sadly is the culture or shall I say tradition of the typical black people and fighting against it together is something we all should be looking forward to cos it's not easy to escape from its horizon.
Once again we the common people in every part of this country are not happy but secession can't be the only way out.
It is true that what you speak of takes place in other parts of the world and normal life still goes on but do you think it will be same here with the black skin humans

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenneth Roth Of Human Rights Watch Reacts To 'Buhari Ignoring Court Orders' / See How Nigeria’s Fuel Scarcity Made This Oyinbo Woman Bend (photos) / Girl Beaten To Pulp For Publicly Challenging Benue Governor, Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.