Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria (4366 Views)

several Units Of Toyota Camry(tiny Light) Waiting To Be Shipped In @ 790k Each / Total Cost Of Clearing A Vehicle In Nigeria / Honda Odyssey 1995, Can It Be Shipped To Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by ono(m): 9:34am On May 06, 2009
Hi guys, I need some clarification as regards the above subject.

Is it a must that I pay sales tax (in any state in the US) on a vehicle bought in the US, when such a vehicle will be registered (titled) in Nigeria? Do we have guidelines to that effect? I suppose the tax should be paid to Nigerian government only.

Your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by sultaan(m): 3:56pm On May 06, 2009
Depends on where/who you buy your vehicle from.If you get on ebay, some none will ask for tax, but some will charge for documentation fee.
If you buy from a private seller, you just get a bill of sale, and a signed title with that you can go get a new title for with your name(as in bill of sale) for $20 in about 20mins.

Some greedy dealers will ask for tax and keep it because they know you will export it.

Best bet is to buy from owner.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 7:01pm On May 06, 2009
sultaan:

Depends on where/who you buy your vehicle from.If you get on ebay, some none will ask for tax, but some will charge for documentation fee.
If you buy from a private seller, you just get a bill of sale, and a signed title with that you can go get a new title for with your name(as in bill of sale) for $20 in about 20mins.

Some greedy dealers will ask for tax and keep it because they know you will export it.

Best bet is to buy from owner.

I respectfully PARTIALLY DISAGREE. Your question is still incomplete. Is someone in the US buying for you?. If that person walks into a local dealer where he/she lives, they might probably charge tax cos its a local resident.

Deal with a dealer who is familier with selling overseas. Tax can be avoided provided all shipping docs is provoded later for dealer's record in case govt ask later.

Let me give u an example. In California, you are not reqd to pay sales tax if you dont live in the state. However, YOU MIGHT BE LIABLE if someone buys the car for you and that person is a California resident.

Also, even if a non resident buys the car, it has TO BE TOWED!. If you show up to drive the car away, you guessed it! YOU WILL PAY TAX!.

So lets have all the reqd info on the deal. Which state (all state tax laws are different).

If you still worried about taxes (it can be substantial for costly cars) let me know. I might be able to help you. I have a dealers license. I can buy and ship to you and you can avoid all the tax and document fees.

Good luck.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by ono(m): 7:28pm On May 06, 2009
Thanks, Promise72 and Sultaan.
I found this pretty car in the US on the web and called up the dealer and negotiated a deal. Since I do not reside in the US, I engaged the services of one car dealer to help get the vehicle. So far, all has gone pretty well until this issue of tax came up. And for this particular car, it's much - more than 1500 dollars.

The US car dealer said I will not be paying tax, since the vehicle will be exported to another country. So, I told my naija car dealer that I will not be paying tax, but he refused. He said I MUST pay tax. He said as soon as the car leaves one state and enters another, I must pay tax.

This is my grouse, and I'm really not pleased about the development.  And to think I will also pay another huge sum of money to clear the vehicle at the Lagos Port via customs makes me very angry.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by bigbumper(f): 7:52pm On May 06, 2009
This is just a suggestion. so don't bite my head off, but have you tried calling the dealer whom the car is being bought from, with regards to the tax position, to find out his stance on the issue and to see if there is a way round it? undecided
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by ono(m): 8:31pm On May 06, 2009
My dear, I've done that. He told me I'm not going to pay any tax. In fact, he only billed me for the cost of the vehice plus another small fee for for paper work - that's all.

It is my naija car dealer guy who's interested in tax - US tax. Ironic I daresay. The US car dealer said I will not pay. But my naija car dealer said I must pay.

Way out to me, from the response so far is that I will not pay my naija guy the tax.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by naijaking1: 9:32pm On May 06, 2009
@Ono
Happy say you still dey for N'jadema kampe grin
You'll look good in American car--- for sure, but wetin happen to all the camels and donkeys all over Chad?

To be serious; Promise 72 already laid it out for you. If your naija buyer does business as a resident of that state, then he would required to pay tax, if he doesn't he might just be trying to squeeze out of more drops of dollar from your pocket.

Solution? If you can clear the car yourself, then most of your problems are solved. Just bye-pass all bye-passables embarassed Buy directly from the dealer. Many dealers would ship and even containerize your vehicle if you can pay for it. So once you raise the money, pay the dealer, all you do is just wait for the ship to arrive. You could easily get someone to verify and ensure that everything goes smoothly for a fraction of whatever sales tax you're currently being asked to pay.

Good luck ol-boy, I see say some of that Ibori dollar don dey reach you.

1 Like

Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 10:23pm On May 06, 2009
@ poster,

What state are we talking about?
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by naijaking1: 1:44am On May 07, 2009
promise72:

@ poster,

What state are we talking about?

The desert state of N'jadema of course grin
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 2:09am On May 07, 2009
naijaking1:

The desert state of N'jadema of course grin

i am asking here in the US. Where is the car being bought from? undecided

Pay Attention!
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by safspecial: 10:01am On May 07, 2009
Hi,

Quite an interesting discussion. Promise72, assuming the price of a vehicle is $5000, How much it cost you to deliver the car to the person's door step in Nigeria from New Jersey?
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by ono(m): 11:37am On May 07, 2009
naijaking1,
we go meet for politics section. We can't discuss Ibori on this particular section of the board.

All,
I'm very pleased to let everyone know that I have reached a ''workable'' agreement with my Naija dealer. He said I did not ''hear him very well'' the first time. So, now, I have heard him well, and we're progressing smoothly again. Bottom line is that I will not be paying any tax.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by safspecial: 12:57pm On May 07, 2009
Ono,

Please, how did you pay the dealer who sold you the car and what is the role of the Naija dealer?
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by naijaking1: 3:28pm On May 07, 2009
@Ono
I'm happy for you grin

@Promise72
So, your the only one who doesn't know that N'Djedema is the 51st state
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 7:49pm On May 07, 2009
safspecial:

Hi,

Quite an interesting discussion. Promise72, assuming the price of a vehicle is $5000, How much it cost you to deliver the car to the person's door step in Nigeria from New Jersey?

What will be paid more is the towing charge (it will be towed from where its bought) and actual oceanfreight on the ship. This depends on the car. A camry for instance will be about 1200-1300 Dollars. Add clearing charge in Naija and cost of getting it to your door there.

By the way, have u bought the car already? If not i will let you know that sourcing of the car itself will incure some charges. Otherwise, if all i have to do is pick up the car where its already bought its not that hard then. its a case by case basis.

naijaking1:

@Ono
I'm happy for you grin

@Promise72
So, your the only one who doesn't know that N'Djedema is the 51st state

Sorry, i have been out of the loop a while embarassed
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by safspecial: 8:09pm On May 07, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by dumbledore: 9:18am On May 09, 2009
Promise72,
Pls send me your e-mail address. Can we discuss something similar to this?
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 3:35pm On May 09, 2009
dumbledore:

Promise72,
Pls send me your e-mail address. Can we discuss something similar to this?

Promise72@yahoo.com
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by jonyjay(m): 3:42pm On May 09, 2009
promise72, i sent an email to you about shipping company, you swift response will be appreciated. thanks
Re: Sales Tax On A Vehicle Bought From The Us To Be Shipped To Nigeria by promise72(m): 5:32pm On May 09, 2009
jonyjay:

promise72, i sent an email to you about shipping company, you swift response will be appreciated. thanks

Replied.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD SOLD SOLD A Clean 2001/2002 Toyota Camry 2.2 (big Light) lerico lerico / SOLD>>>>>>>2005 Mercedes Benz E320 / Super Clean 2003 Nissan Altima(preordered) Pimped With 20 Inch Rims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.