Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,318 members, 7,819,079 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical (30340 Views)

Dry Season Ugu Farming With Pictures.. / Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids) / Buy Ugu (fluted Pumpkin) Seed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 2:17pm On Oct 28, 2015
Here will contain a practical step by step approach with pictures of dry season ugu farming using organic manure. It will include its costs and revenue records.

Keep Abreast with me as I take this ride along to boost our personal income and ensure food security.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
Pls where did u get the seed from and how much does in cost am in ibadan
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Juliana7: 6:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
@op, ok we are with u oooo. Thanks
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2015
The size of my farm is 50m by 30 metres length. At a planting distance of 1m by 1m I have 1500 stands of 2 seeds per hole.

I bought the pods in the local market here in Owerri, Imo state. l spent a total of #13000 for the seeds.

I used #10000 for the clearing.

This is the pix of the cleared farmland ready for planting. Am going to use zero or minimum tillage. Hence am not making any bed or ridge. Just planting at a depth of 20-25cm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
The fluited pumpkin and its seeds. After breaking the seeds I don't plant them sae day, I have to sundry for a minimum of 24hrs and a maximum of 72hrs before planting, in order to reduce the moisture content and accelerate germination.

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by adeadeniyi11: 8:35pm On Oct 28, 2015
how much can be used to cultivate an acre of land of ugwu and how can the seed be acquired
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by chiomilisa(f): 1:50am On Oct 29, 2015
[quote author=Sunnycliff post=39460072]The fluited pumpkin and its seeds. After breaking the seeds I don't plant them sae day, I have to sundry for a minimum of 24hrs and a maximum of 72hrs before planting, in order to reduce the moisture content and accelerate germination.[/quote

sunny well done. pls I Ve been looking for who to guide me. tanks for the thread. I'm following. please can I Ve your number.
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 29, 2015
Weldone i love this keep it up pls how many seeds of ugwu did u get for that #13k it it 100 or 200 pls i want to kn or are they in the pod wen u bought they and how many seed did u get in the pods each wen u brake them tnks God bless u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 7:03am On Oct 29, 2015
adeadeniyi11:
how much can be used to cultivate an acre of land of ugwu and how can the seed be acquired

I can't give you a complete estimate now, unless you need a feasibility report which you can get from me at a subsidized fee, else follow this thread and pick up the necessary data!

Agriculture is a Profession and not a hobby!

#proudlyagriculturaleconomist!! MSC

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 7:09am On Oct 29, 2015
meflow:
Weldone i love this keep it up pls how many seeds of ugwu did u get for that #13k it it 100 or 200 pls i want to kn or are they in the pod wen u bought they and how many seed did u get in the pods each wen u brake them tnks God bless u

I bought in pods! I had a total of 15 big pods with an average of 105 seeds each!
However you can buy the seeds from the local markets here in owerri and its environs at 7-8 seeds for #100. The cost seems a bit high because this is the dry season when there is no much pods in the market!
I would have gone to the Imo State Agricultural Development Programme office but the seeds are not readily available from them and this is a time bound project, hence I had to source from the farmers who bring to the markets for sales!
Though its quite hectic cos I went to the market 3 times as I could not get all the seeds at once! But the gains is worth the pains wink
meflow:

I bought in pods! I had a total of 15 big pods with an average of 105 seeds each!
However you can buy the seeds from the local markets here in owerri and its environs at 7-8 seeds for #100. The cost seems a bit high because this is the dry season when there is no much pods in the market!
I would have gone to the Imo State Agricultural Development Programme office but the seeds are not readily available from them and this is a time bound project, hence I had to source from the farmers who bring to the markets for sales!
Though its quite hectic cos I went to the market 3 times as I could not get all the seeds at once! But the gains is worth the pains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 11:12am On Oct 29, 2015
Planting of the seeds is very important and if wrongly placed will lead to failed germination!

Place the pointed part of the seed downwards, however some seeds seem to appear round all through, in such cases u lie it flat on the ground and cover with the soil! Do not dig the soil too deep rather 10-15cm seem ideal and you mulch the soil if you can, otherwise no problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by chiomilisa(f): 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
what is the spacing between two holes
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2015
chiomilisa:
what is the spacing between two holes

I metre apart! Remember I did not use bed nor ridges!

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 7:11am On Oct 31, 2015
Germination starts from the 8-12 days! For organic farming, the organic manure should have been applied at least two weeks before planting, else you apply your fertilizer first month after germination!

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Juliana7: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2015
@op, if pruning is necessary when is d right time to prune and what are d reasons and benefit for pruning? Thanks
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 11:29am On Nov 09, 2015
I bought 50 bags of poultry droppings in cement bags at #150 each!
Also bought 50 bags of Pig's Dung at #200 per bag!
I spent #6000 in transportation from the point of purchase to my farm site!

The pig dungs is darker in colour for easy identification!

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 11:41am On Nov 09, 2015
Applying organic manure, 8-10 days after germination or from 15 easy -18days after planting!

The growing vines of the ugu vegetables after 4-7 days of organic manure application!

Application rate is done by discretion! However a 4kg custard bucket would be ok for 4 stands of the vegetable!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 11:55am On Nov 09, 2015
Topping of the vines of the vegetables!

New off shots/lateral vines, 5-8 days after the topping practice!

The topping cultural practice is done 21-25 days after germination or 29-34 days after planting! However a simpler rule of the thumb for topping off is that you count at least 8-10 leaf notches before you cut off the vines with a very sharp kitchen knife!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by 1money: 12:04pm On Nov 09, 2015
This is nice, following.

What is the benefit of topping the vines of the vegetables?
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 12:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
1money:
This is nice, following.

What is the benefit of topping the vines of the vegetables?

To increase the offshot or lateral growth of the vines, thereby increasing productivity which in this concept is measured in leaves per unit area!

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Soloxam(m): 1:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
Sunnycliff:

To increase the offshot or lateral growth of the vines, thereby increasing productivity which in this concept is measured in leaves per unit area!
Welldone sir. pls how will u handle the weeds? are u weediging manualy or how. God bless ur hustle.....
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2015
Soloxam:
Welldone sir. pls how will u handle the weeds? are u weediging manualy or how. God bless ur hustle.....

Manual because the herbicides around here is non selective, else it will kill both the weeds and my vegetables!
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Pavore9: 2:56pm On Nov 09, 2015
Sunnycliff:

Manual because the herbicides around here is non selective, else it will kill both the weeds and my vegetables!

You are really bringing me closer home! cheesy Is your cropping limited to Ugu?
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2015
Pavore9:

You are really bringing me closer home! cheesy Is your cropping limited to Ugu?

Ugu for this thread alone! But am a farmer! You can check my signature
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by 1money: 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ok, Thanks.

I would like to visit your farm if you don't mind
Sunnycliff:

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Newway2(m): 9:03pm On Dec 02, 2015
My Oga @ d top, How is d Ugwu baby doing? How is d harvesting? How do u sell?

Sunnycliff:

Ugu for this thread alone! But am a farmer! You can check my signature

1 Like

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 9:40am On Dec 28, 2015
Harvesting my Ugu Vegetable!

2 Likes

Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by biggal: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
How do u break d seeds to enhance germination pls cos mine stayed for too long
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Sunnycliff(m): 7:12pm On Dec 29, 2015
biggal:
How do u break d seeds to enhance germination pls cos mine stayed for too long

You break the pod and not the seed. Remove the seed from the pod and dry for not more than two days and plant in a well drained moist soil.
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by Juliana7: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
@sunnycliff, pls sir is it commercially profitable to stalk ugwu, somebody said its not. Pls sir how do u sell ur ugwu is it per kg?
Re: Dry Season Fluted Pumpkin (Ugu) Farming Step-By-Step Practical by jjbest123(m): 9:45pm On Apr 15, 2016
Boss any more update??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obiano Commissions Coscharis Rice Mill Today (Photos) / Have You Ever Seen Some Days Old Snail Before? / Rice Mill At Omor In Anambra Abandoned By FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.