Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

"MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" (27686 Views)

Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess / MTN In Fresh Trouble, Fined $8.5million / N1.4trn Penalty Too Heavy To Bear – MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Reference(m): 10:29am On Oct 29, 2015
sats:
buhari: money for one third of our 2016 budget don set, their father

Nigerians and free money. Lazy lots. Its no more Shell changing their diapers. Its MTN wiping their bu.tts.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by OlujobaSamuel: 10:31am On Oct 29, 2015
rman:

GLO has one

Main One has one

MTN has one (west African cable landing company)

FYI, the total number of base stations in Nigeria combined is around 24 thousand. MTN has around 9500. There is no operator that has mtns coverage in Nigeria. Yes, network experience varies from location to location but fact is in terms of coverage no one is close to mtn. How did they end up with 50% market share if not due to wider coverage?

In major cities, they are not the market leader anymore so their large subscriber base is only due to wider coverage.
NB: I said Rural Areas.
I also pointed out the fact that most in the urban have one or more backups.
I know mtn is having the largest but mostly in urban areas or suburban areas, which you and I know they(subscribers) are enlightened and will therefore find a way to mitigate loss.
I know there will be negative impact but not the way we portray it. Remember there was a time they said PSB is not possible, a relatively small company(Glo) erased that myth. No company is bigger than the gov't, if the gov't develops balls to take on Dangote today, nothing will happen and the people will survive it in little or no time.

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by sats: 10:47am On Oct 29, 2015
Reference:

Nigerians and free money. Lazy lots. Its no more Shell changing their diapers. Its MTN wiping their bu.tts.

the americans fined halliburton and british petroleum
no b today abeg
its ok wen others do it
but wen we do it in nigeria
nigerians will av sth to say

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by ilo04(m): 10:54am On Oct 29, 2015
wetin concern me
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Oketwin(m): 10:54am On Oct 29, 2015
chosby:

my people perish for lack of knowledge. We have no alternative for Dstv and mtn yet we are daring the South Africans. Shoprite, Standard Chartered- should I continue? A trade war with SA can't augur well for our nomadic economy o. pls make una warn the herdsman o!!!!!
for ur info der ar more Dan one alternative for dem SA services let dem go n see hw we will blossom as and indigenous entity we av been exploited enuf as a nation

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by playboy19(m): 11:01am On Oct 29, 2015
MadCow1:

Young Man please take a seat and stop blowing hot air.

The truth is that MTN and DSTV Nigeria can close up shop in Nigeria and still reel in an annual profit. You make it sound as if Nigeria is a haven for people to do business in. With all the challenges they have to face in our business climate, they still managed to build the biggest brands in the two sectors they operate in. If they leave, the unemployment burden on the nation will be phenomenal. If doing what they do were that easy, HITV would be the King of cable Television in Nigeria and NITEL would still be the National telecoms network provider.

And please your post on shoprite is neither here nor there. If Shoprite leaves, many businesses will definitely take their space, but unless you are bringing in another foreign supermarket chain like ASDA, TESCO, WALMART, COSTCO, e.t.c, it wouldn't command the same business pull that SHOPRITE carried neither will they employ the number of staff that Shoprite does.

The Nigerian Market remains a free market. DSTV may be expensive but considering the number of original content DSTV carries, I absolutely understand. Nigerians will never question why a Mercedes in the same class as a KIA sells for 5 times the price of a KIA but yet would want DSTV to provide them premium packages for minimum wage. That is absolute bullshit.

I would be happy to see another cable Television subscriber give DSTV a run for their market share in Nigeria, but I doubt anybody would be able to achieve that immediately. DSTV has been doing this for over 20years. You don't just come out of nowhere to overthrow the king.

If DSTV shuts down AFRICA MAGIC... grin grin Nollywood actors will stage an "Occupy Nigeria protest". Musicians nko?

Welldone Mr MadCow, you have spoken well like an educated fellow. However, in order to truly understand the subject matter, you have to know more than what you read in the news or what you are thought in school. The whole MTN fine and the examples you stated above are purely political. Ofcourse, you should know that businesses of this magnitude are more political than your average buy and sell businesses.

I will take your post in bits;

The truth is that MTN and DSTV Nigeria can close up shop in Nigeria and still reel in an annual profit. You make it sound as if Nigeria is a haven for people to do business in. With all the challenges they have to face in our business climate, they still managed to build the biggest brands in the two sectors they operate in. If they leave, the unemployment burden on the nation will be phenomenal. If doing what they do were that easy, HITV would be the King of cable Television in Nigeria and NITEL would still be the National telecoms network provider.

Yes, Nigeria is a business haven, you should ask MTN, DSTV and Nestle about this. The almighty mtn which you are rooting for, currently operate in 22 countries accross africa and the middle east, of which Nigeria is their biggest market. Mtn Nigeria gives them their biggest profit and here you are talking about challenges. Where else in the world will they milk and treat costumers my disdain and the gov't look the other way? And Dstv? Nestle? Find out about things before you ask such question next time.

Find out the true story about what happened between DSTV and Toyin Subair. To lay it simple for you, he was muscled out of business because someone has a bigger lobbying power than him. Simple! Why do you think no other paytv has been able to penetrate the biggest market in africa?

And please your post on shoprite is neither here nor there. If Shoprite leaves, many businesses will definitely take their space, but unless you are bringing in another foreign supermarket chain like ASDA, TESCO, WALMART, COSTCO, e.t.c, it wouldn't command the same business pull that SHOPRITE carried neither will they employ the number of staff that Shoprite does.

First, thank God you didnt dispute what i wrote about shoprite not building malls and secondly, You know it is funny how much Nigerians don't know the value of their market. While Chris Wiesel is running over the place to raise more funds to expand his presence in the Nigerian market before Walmart (the company he has over the years lobbied successive African gov't to keep out of Africa) takes over the whole market, here we are talking about if he leaves? Leave where? LOL ... Dem no born him mama well. I triple dare him to even let that idea cross his mind, he'd be playing right into Walmart's hand. (FYI, Walmart is coming into Lagos soon)

Morale of the story; Nigerians, Know Your Worth.

The Nigerian Market remains a free market. DSTV may be expensive but considering the number of original content DSTV carries, I absolutely understand. Nigerians will never question why a Mercedes in the same class as a KIA sells for 5 times the price of a KIA but yet would want DSTV to provide them premium packages for minimum wage. That is absolute bullshit.

I would be happy to see another cable Television subscriber give DSTV a run for their market share in Nigeria
, but I doubt anybody would be able to achieve that immediately. DSTV has been doing this for over 20years. You don't just come out of nowhere to overthrow the king.

If DSTV shuts down AFRICA MAGIC... grin grin Nollywood actors will stage an "Occupy Nigeria protest". Musicians nko?

Yes Nigerians will never question such because there is a freedom of choice. There is enough competition in the auto market. The story of DSTV and Shoprite is a story of 'what you sow you reap'. You have in the past used the gov't of the land to shut out all competition, now a new sheriff is in town and this same gov't is putting measure to liberate her market and the same people being liberated are the ones crying wolf because they know nothing about what is going on.

We all need to understand the Nigerian market before we speak ill of the country. No, the country is not the best in the world, neither is her market the best but, the country is more valuable than we all think.

I expect more of such sanctions in months ahead, especially in the Commodity and Oil industry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by MosquitoLaps(m): 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
malton:

They didn't just call out the amount. It's a penalty based on 200,000 naira ($1,000) for each of 5.1 million cellphone SIM cards that had not been registered and should have been disconnected by an August deadline. Now, do the maths.
Wow.
That's massive. Dem get d money sha.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by TS2(m): 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2015
Na DSTV remain now
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by eckersley: 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
eagleonearth:

if not for the popularity and engagement of my line which have lasted for over 11 yrs, I would have ported a long time ago.
You need not bother.
Go to the office of the network you now wish to be on their network, say Etisalat, with the SIM certificate of ur Mtn line.
You'll be ported/moved to the new network and STILL RETAIN YOU EXACT OLD NUMBER.
Ur recharging and all subsequent activities will be on Etisalat or whatever network u choose.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Bollinger(m): 4:41pm On Oct 29, 2015
MosquitoLaps:
I know they're misbehaving, but trillions?! Haba! That's too much for a fine na. You want to chase away potential foreign investors?
In fact, NCC must be probed!

True talk. Yes they had to be penalized, but fines in the range of billions of dollars is somewhat excessive and suspicious. Anyway, it's Naija now.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Chuksgeo: 5:03pm On Oct 29, 2015
the even pitied them, this is a matter of national security. they should have slammed them an amount that would crash them such that the company would only want a buy out from another firm

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by MosquitoLaps(m): 8:55pm On Oct 29, 2015
Bollinger:

True talk. Yes they had to be penalized, but fines in the range of billions of dollars is somewhat excessive and suspicious. Anyway, it's Naija now.
The useless NCC just got richer by 8 digits.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by adsami1: 11:13pm On Oct 29, 2015
Is frankdata247 for real or a scammer??

Nairalanders.....pls, help ooooooooooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Glo Launches 'Glo Bolt' Super-fast Internet Modem / Infinix Hot 10T (65,400) Vs TECNO Spark 7p (60,900) Which Should U Buy? (photos) / Help! Pls How Can I Unbar My Mtn Line Manually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.