Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,166 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) (58262 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Visits Ayaba Maryam Adeniran Adeyemi, Wife Of His Father / Oba Rasheed Akanbi's Swag As He Steps Out For An Event (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
successinlife:

There is nothing funny in Yoruba culture.Are Ibo's not claiming allegiance or attachment to Israel?why was David made king at a tender age by prophet Samuel when his brothers were alive and more matured.Ibos should relate how kingship operates in the bible with yoruba culture for better understanding.Ibo's have not been led by central heads before,what Ibo's are used to is clan/village chiefs(igwe),i have not heard of Kings in Ibo kingdom hence your system of leadership is not sacred rather to the highest bidders that is why you people can't comprehend how yoruba kings come about.

u r drunk. watin concern me with Igbo? I resemble igbo for ur eye? abi u dey craze?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2015
sherrylo:

Yeah older people will bow but not the biological father. Its a taboo.

The king will not go anywhere unannounced that's why him and the father will not be seen publicly after he is crowned.

The only taboo in Ife that I know is a Son taking up a post while the Father occupies a post no matter how small.

I don't know of the one you're speaking of.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by successinlife: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2015
PDPwayoo:

u r drunk. watin concern me with Igbo? I resemble igbo for ur eye? abi u dey craze?

back to sender.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by georgylee: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2015
The Yoruba tradition that forbids an Oba from seeing his father one on one.....(Oba o ki n ni baba) (Oba does not have a father)...... Any modification or ammendment.....? [color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by bokohalal(m): 1:32pm On Oct 29, 2015
Not every one kneels for the Oba in Benin.. This is not due to radicalism but family, clan or tribal emancipation. There is even an Edo ethnicity that doesn't speak Bini who are not supposed to kneel for the Oba.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

The Olowo of Owo may appear to be holding tradition strong because he did it like those before him.

K'ase bi wan ti nse is what Yoruba would always say. If Ooni Adeyeye does it the way those before him (apart from Olubuse II) did it then there's no way he would not end up being great.

Lajamisan was wealthy, as a result he became Ooni, the fore feathers of these 4 houses already set a standard.

True unfortunately he has not started on a good note, apart from the left chiefs and Ife people indifferent to the situation, he ha few fans, his first task would be to appease the elites who have written a petition against his selection due to his history. I know from private account he threatened to tell the world "Nkan te se ti ile fi jona" which might destroy the legacy of Olubuse II concerning his EFCC saga with Sijuade.

I hope he succeeds because as it is Ife is in a pitiable state, given where Aderemi left off things have gone bad
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by YesBoss1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 29, 2015
Bossforeva:
Every soon Rolls Royce will replace that Benz.

Oga na Bentley be dat no be benz....
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by fireforfire: 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
slimfit1:
The father of a king is a king.
story
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by mysteryman2014: 2:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
The importance attached to this traditional institution is fast dwindling. Throw back pix for the installation of the late Oni Sijuade showed the attendance of the Governor and other well know dignitaries, this is lacking today.

The institution must realign itself and find relevance in a modern social cultural environment. Otherwise it fast becomes totally irrelevant. My 2pence.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by amodaade: 2:23pm On Oct 29, 2015
pat077:
So the father will have to prostrate to his son.

They will probably not be allowed to meet in public after the son is crowned king
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by dned: 2:25pm On Oct 29, 2015
Serious...does he have to be a king while his father is alive. Meaning his father will be bowing to him. Its not fine with me...my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 29, 2015
enilowo:

You be mumu. Mother of Queen Elisabeth is what? Is she a queen or a princess. I don't blame you I am sure u are igbo a set of people without regards for culture. Mumu
You are wrong. The Queens mother is not from a royal line. Elizabeth had no male siblings hence she was made Queen. Prince Charles is next in line.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Wulfruna(f): 2:42pm On Oct 29, 2015
dned:
Serious...does he have to be a king while his father is alive. Meaning his father will be bowing to him. Its not fine with me...my opinion.

But did his father complain to you? tongue
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by MbashrexBashir(m): 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2015
What sort of tradition is this, a king has a father. So the father will be address as prince while the son as the king. Nonsense tradition.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2015
seangy4konji:
Will gladly accept to be ooni of Ife and join any cult that is attached To it gladly.
when you die, your body would be butchered and buried all over the town. You would also join many cults when you are alive. I could become a fancy King like the elegushi. but the Ooni is not just a king but a god(orisha). hope u get the mind sha.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by jeroton: 2:49pm On Oct 29, 2015
Bossforeva:
Every soon Rolls Royce will replace that Benz.
hey guy that's not Benz it's Bentley
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by seangy4konji: 2:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
Lol.for your mind saxywale. Elegushi na na fashion king Abi
saxywale:

when you die, your body would be butchered and buried all over the town. You would also join many cults when you are alive. I could become a fancy King like the elegushi. but the Ooni is not just a king but a god(orisha). hope u get the mind sha.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

Things changed in 1980 when Sijuwade paid Geisi to surrender their turn, and with this latest development i'm sorry to say the Ooni throne may as well be a decoration. It has ceased to be the cradle of yoruba race and the keeper of yoruba culture and tradition.

Olojo festival would come around soon enough, we'll see what happens, unless he would not wear the Aare crown

i am not currently in ife but is there any reason why non of the ife obas came to welcome him to ife, what of the ife elites?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

Things changed in 1980 when Sijuwade paid Geisi to surrender their turn, and with this latest development i'm sorry to say the Ooni throne may as well be a decoration. It has ceased to be the cradle of yoruba race and the keeper of yoruba culture and tradition.

Olojo festival would come around soon enough, we'll see what happens, unless he would not wear the Aare crown

i am not currently in ife but is there any reason why non of the ife obas came to welcome him to ife, what of the ife elites? what I saw in videos sent to me were area boys and some youths dressed in branded shirts welcoming him.

The guy spent money though. I knew the government would quickly approve him as they need someone to ease their burden irrespective of EFCC's investigation(from the petition of the sijuwade's and other victims) the moment he donated transformers to ife, I watched a video of one if the local government chairman hailing him when the transformers were presented. grin

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by bokohalal(m): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2015
saxywale:

i am not currently in ife but is there any reason why non of the ife obas came to welcome him to ife, what of the ife elites? what I saw in videos sent to me were area boys and some youths dressed in branded shirts welcoming him.

The guy spent money though. I knew the government would quickly approve him as they need someone to ease their burden irrespective of EFCC's investigation(from the petition of the sijuwade's and other victims) the moment he donated transformers to ife, I watched a video of one if the local government chairman hailing him when the transformers were presented. grin
Are you implying that Ifa had no role to play in his appointment?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:43pm On Oct 29, 2015
kinibigdeal:

Igbo enweghi akuko ihe mere eme, o di ghi onye na-aghota ebe I sitere si. I dinnoo nwere ike ghara igho Yoruba n' otu ntabi anya. Use your head before you talk nonsense, I know your tribe more than you do.

Please are you Igbo or Yoruba?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by kinibigdeal(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

Please are you Igbo or Yoruba?
And why is that so important to you?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 29, 2015
bokohalal:

Are you implying that Ifa had no role to play in his appointment?
forget that side, ifa priest dey chop dollars nowadays ooo.
Ifa would only suggest/advise, but the ifa priest and others involved in the selection can do otherwise.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:51pm On Oct 29, 2015
kinibigdeal:

And why is that so important to you?
It isn't. BTW, I'm intrigued at your written Igbo.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by kinibigdeal(m): 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
ferhyntorlah:

It isn't. BTW, I'm intrigued at your written Igbo.
Copy that...am a proud Yoruba man
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

True unfortunately he has not started on a good note, apart from the left chiefs and Ife people indifferent to the situation, he ha few fans, his first task would be to appease the elites who have written a petition against his selection due to his history. I know from private account he threatened to tell the world "Nkan te se ti ile fi jona" which might destroy the legacy of Olubuse II concerning his EFCC saga with Sijuade.

I hope he succeeds because as it is Ife is in a pitiable state, given where Aderemi left off things have gone bad

What elites? And why should he appease them?
The people you call elites are selfish lot who want to make a mess of the ascension procedures rather than follow laid down guidelines.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Bollinger(m): 4:45pm On Oct 29, 2015
I really don't understand why this institution still exists. It's not forward thinking or progressive and serves absolutely no relevance in this day and age.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by dualsurvey: 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2015
seunmsg:

But there is a general tradition not to crown as king a prince whose father is still alive.
Laws, traditions and culture may have to be bent in some certain conditions, which I think is what realy happened.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Aarenaija: 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2015
khalebzy:
Whats all this Hoorny, Hoorny Ooni news All about na sad undecided

It is not just any other king. This is the ONI of IFE, the genesis; cradle of the Yorubas.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by MrPresident1: 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
I am puzzled, an Ooni having a living father

Is there a precedent?

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Btruth: 9:18pm On Oct 29, 2015
As a good father, there's nothing wrong in opting out for your son to become the king, especially if you realise that you are old or have health related issues. It will be an honour for the father though, and that is a very big gift from a father to a son.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.