Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues (1414 Views)

Man Alleges Police Brutality At Sango Police Station, Ibadan (photos) / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / Shocking Police Brutality On An Occupy Lagos Protester (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 8:24am On May 08, 2009
The Nigerian Police brutality continues. . .
She came, she saw? and she was conquered and subsequently captured by men of the Nigeria Police Force for voicing her opposition to the positioning of a polling booth in front of her father?s house.
Three days after, Miss Bukola Ajayi is still in police detention, awaiting her next fate ? either to be charged to court or released to return to her father?s house in peace.
Under the rule of law, she is not to be detained beyond 48 hours before she is charged to court.
But in Ekiti, rule of law is a distant thought in the fiasco that has greeted the controversial rerun governorship election in the past two weeks.
Meanwhile, the 35 suspected thugs arrested at the residence of Senator Ayo Arise on the day of the rerun on April 25 were released 24 hours later.
[b]The picture of Miss Ajayi being brutalised and bundled into the back of a police van last Tuesday at Oye-Ekiti is one of the enduring images of the Ekiti crisis.[/b]Ajayi, a hairdresser, was arrested shortly before the commencement of the rescheduled governorship election along side 10 others, mostly males, who were being picked up at various locations within Oye-Ekiti.
According to her, she took the action to protect her father, who is partially blind, from being attacked by some likely aggrieved politicians in the area, who might not be pleased with the outcome of the election results.
The lady managed to explain her ordeal while she was being assaulted publicly by not less than five armed riot policemen, who were even threatening to shoot her in the leg, if she refused to cooperate with them.
She said during the previous election held on April 25, which was later cancelled, her father?s house was riddled with bullets.
It was gathered that the lady was away in the morning, until somebody went to inform her what the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was planning to place a polling booth in front of her father's house.
It was when she came back that she showed her resistance to the plan.
Unfortunately, this seemingly unusual resistance pitted her with the security operatives, especially men of the riot policemen, who held her by her jeans trousers and threw her inside their waiting van, at the end of which she was taken to an undisclosed destination.
Ajayi, who was whisked away in the van with registration number NPF 982, is still being held in police custody.
Her old father, who has for a long time been restricted indoor because of his condition and her old mother were left alone at home, without the knowledge of where she is, her current position or when is she likely to gain her freedom.
Her old mother, popularly called ?Mama Osogbo?, who after some time managed to explain in their native dialect that when the incident occurred on Tuesday, some people in the compound went to the nearby police station, where she was first taken to, but the police told them that she had been moved to Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.
She said since then, there had been no news about her, other than some people telling them that by today, she would be released.
But contrary to the position of the Ajayi family, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Fatola Sikiru Olalekan, said the lady and her other co-accused were being arrested and detained for causing ?public disorder?.
He said the lady was arrested for her action which was ?notorious? and was ?uncalled for? in the presence of the law enforcement agents, especially during the conduct of the rerun election in the area.
The PPRO and the Provost Marshal told THISDAY that his investigation about her and other accused persons arrested for the same purpose, from the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was that the lady was a politician who belonged to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and was in support of a particular person in the area.
According to him, investigation was ongoing about her culpability in the allegation levied against her.
The PPRO, who said he could not say exactly when the lady would be let off the hook, pointed out that the outcome of the investigation would determine the level of her involvement in the offence she was being accused of.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=142894

Question: will this ever stop?

Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by SkyBlue1: 8:42am On May 08, 2009
FBS:

The Nigerian Police brutality continues. . .
She came, she saw? and she was conquered and subsequently captured by men of the Nigeria Police Force for voicing her opposition to the positioning of a polling booth in front of her father?s house.
Three days after, Miss Bukola Ajayi is still in police detention, awaiting her next fate ? either to be charged to court or released to return to her father?s house in peace.
Under the rule of law, she is not to be detained beyond 48 hours before she is charged to court.
But in Ekiti, rule of law is a distant thought in the fiasco that has greeted the controversial rerun governorship election in the past two weeks.
Meanwhile, the 35 suspected thugs arrested at the residence of Senator Ayo Arise on the day of the rerun on April 25 were released 24 hours later.
The picture of Miss Ajayi being brutalised and bundled into the back of a police van last Tuesday at Oye-Ekiti is one of the enduring images of the Ekiti crisis.Ajayi, a hairdresser, was arrested shortly before the commencement of the rescheduled governorship election along side 10 others, mostly males, who were being picked up at various locations within Oye-Ekiti.
According to her, she took the action to protect her father, who is partially blind, from being attacked by some likely aggrieved politicians in the area, who might not be pleased with the outcome of the election results.
The lady managed to explain her ordeal while she was being assaulted publicly by not less than five armed riot policemen, who were even threatening to shoot her in the leg, if she refused to cooperate with them.
She said during the previous election held on April 25, which was later cancelled, her father?s house was riddled with bullets.
It was gathered that the lady was away in the morning, until somebody went to inform her what the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was planning to place a polling booth in front of her father's house.
It was when she came back that she showed her resistance to the plan.
Unfortunately, this seemingly unusual resistance pitted her with the security operatives, especially men of the riot policemen, who held her by her jeans trousers and threw her inside their waiting van, at the end of which she was taken to an undisclosed destination.
Ajayi, who was whisked away in the van with registration number NPF 982, is still being held in police custody.
Her old father, who has for a long time been restricted indoor because of his condition and her old mother were left alone at home, without the knowledge of where she is, her current position or when is she likely to gain her freedom.
Her old mother, popularly called ?Mama Osogbo?, who after some time managed to explain in their native dialect that when the incident occurred on Tuesday, some people in the compound went to the nearby police station, where she was first taken to, but the police told them that she had been moved to Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.
She said since then, there had been no news about her, other than some people telling them that by today, she would be released.
But contrary to the position of the Ajayi family, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Fatola Sikiru Olalekan, said the lady and her other co-accused were being arrested and detained for causing ?public disorder?.
He said the lady was arrested for her action which was ?notorious? and was ?uncalled for? in the presence of the law enforcement agents, especially during the conduct of the rerun election in the area.
The PPRO and the Provost Marshal told THISDAY that his investigation about her and other accused persons arrested for the same purpose, from the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was that the lady was a politician who belonged to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and was in support of a particular person in the area.
According to him, investigation was ongoing about her culpability in the allegation levied against her.
The PPRO, who said he could not say exactly when the lady would be let off the hook, pointed out that the outcome of the investigation would determine the level of her involvement in the offence she was being accused of.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=142894

Question: will this ever stop?

Wrong question. Question is, What are you going to do about it? We don't need to dissect and analyse the Nigerian situation for the millionth time.
I just briefly scanned through Ekiti Government Webpage looking for contact numbers for anybody in Government or Police or whatever and as expected couldn't find any. I don't really know anyone in Ekiti State and I might be a bit busy today however, I intend to get at least one contact number and I intend to call and see what I can do to remedy the situation, even if it means calling for everyone I know to spam these numbers and shout down reason or getting some people I think may be able to help in Nigeria to do something, that is a start. What are you going to do?
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 8:49am On May 08, 2009
I'm calling the mora-foking President, how about that?
Issue is, this is not the first time the NPF show their animalistic behaviour and it takes a collective effort to stop this and thus my asking, will it ever stop?
i.e if we do something meaningly certainly it will stop but until then. . .
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by deor03(m): 8:56am On May 08, 2009
Sky Blue:

Wrong question. Question is, What are you going to do about it? We don't need to dissect and analyse the Nigerian situation for the millionth time.
I just briefly scanned through Ekiti Government Webpage looking for contact numbers for anybody in Government or Police or whatever and as expected couldn't find any. I don't really know anyone in Ekiti State and I might be a bit busy today however, I intend to get at least one contact number and I intend to call and see what I can do to remedy the situation, even if it means calling for everyone I know to spam these numbers and shout down reason or getting some people I think may be able to help in Nigeria to do something, that is a start. What are you going to do?

Rightly said. Enough of this analysis on NL, AIT, Channels, Newspapers, etc . It is time we begin to take action.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 9:18am On May 08, 2009
deor03:

Rightly said. Enough of this analysis on NL, AIT, Channels, Newspapers, etc . It is time we begin to take action.
and so, what are you going to do about it? Its easier said than done, abi be ko?
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by Sagamite(m): 9:23am On May 08, 2009
FBS:

and so, what are you going to do about it? Its easier said than done, abi be ko?

Learn from them, instead of trying to ridicule their progressive stance.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 9:39am On May 08, 2009
I'm not ridiculing anyone. What is progressive in saying we should be something? Every tom, d!ck and harry knows that we should do something. The issue is WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO?

and what are you going to do? I think that was his question, No?
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by busibodi(f): 10:35am On May 08, 2009
Get about 10people together.

Get a real good camera.

Get a volunteer lawyer.

And go down to Ekiti to find out what the hell is going to this lady.

Document everything and post to all FORUMS.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by proudly9ja(m): 10:41am On May 08, 2009
Does anyone know if the Nigerian Police have a website? If they do, Im sure we can get the phone number of the public relations officer, as many people as possible should send texts to this number or even call calling fo rthe release of the poor girl.

Im googling for the web ad right now. If anyone gets it before me, please post it here.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by proudly9ja(m): 11:03am On May 08, 2009
I just saw the Nigerian Police Force website. Apart from the emmergency numbers, there is no contact number!! Can someone help please?

As an aside, I noticed Okiro is addressed as ''Sir (Dr) Mike Okiro''?? What is all these rubbish!!!!!

http://police.gov.ng/
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 12:17pm On May 08, 2009
proudly9ja:

I just saw the Nigerian Police Force website. Apart from the emmergency numbers, there is no contact number!! Can someone help please?
As an aside, I noticed Okiro is addressed as ''Sir (Dr) Mike Okiro''?? What is all these rubbish!!!!!
http://police.gov.ng/
@proudly9ja. Good work. . .checking the website. Arrant nonsense. Just wondering who dashed him the Dr not to talk of the Sir?
No contacts number found yet only emergency lines. Googling right now. . .

busi-bodi:

Get a real good camera.
Get a volunteer lawyer.
Can you spear head this? We want actions and NOT instructions.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 12:31pm On May 08, 2009
This is what I found. . .dont know how actual it is. The Ekiti PO has no phone number. Isn't that strange?
S/NO NAME D EPT/UNIT/PARASTATAL DESIGNATION GRADE LEVEL LOCATION
30 ASP. VICTOR AKINSANYA ZONE 8-EKITI NODAL OFFICER EKITI

Full list here.
http://www.servenigeria.com/misc/contacts/npf.xls
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by TayoD1(m): 12:34pm On May 08, 2009
@topic,

While I found the action of the Police excessive, I think the story may not have fully explained what transpired. How did she go about presenting her complaint to the Police? Did she assault anybody in the process? Could any of the charges against her be true? I don't think we have the full picture!
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by SkyBlue1: 1:01pm On May 08, 2009
Tayo-D:

@topic,

While I found the action of the Police excessive, I think the story may not have fully explained what transpired. How did she go about presenting her complaint to the Police? Did she assault anybody in the process? Could any of the charges against her be true? I don't think we have the full picture!

So if anything won't action push to make the picture clearer ? ? ?If anything hasn't she been held long enough without charges being pressed? We should work according to our convictions anyway, so to each his own. I just don;t see how someone can say 'we don't have the full picture' and leave it at that, so how do we obtain the full picture? By waiting for it to be presented to us?

FBS:

This is what I found. . .dont know how actual it is. The Ekiti PO has no phone number. Isn't that strange?
S/NO NAME D EPT/UNIT/PARASTATAL DESIGNATION GRADE LEVEL LOCATION
30 ASP. VICTOR AKINSANYA ZONE 8-EKITI NODAL OFFICER EKITI

Full list here.

The link you provided has contact numbers. Was planning on calling people other than the police but that would be good enough for a start. Will find time to get on this once I get home.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by TayoD1(m): 1:10pm On May 08, 2009
@Sky Blue,

So if anything won't action push to make the picture clearer ? ? ?If anything hasn't she been held long enough without charges being pressed? We should work according to our convictions anyway, so to each his own. I just don;t see how someone can say 'we don't have the full picture' and leave it at that, so how do we obtain the full picture? By waiting for it to be presented to us?
Don't go harrassing the Police. If you really care about her, the best way to go about this is to secure the services of a lawyer. That I believe, is the best course of action. You think anyone who picks up the phone will give you a true picture?
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by FBS: 1:28pm On May 08, 2009
@TayoD, the laws says 48 hours isn't it? But she is still in detention somewhere and no one knows exactly where.
It is clear that the police used excessive force on the woman.
What harm could a weaponless woman do to some armed police men? bite off their penis?
She is not some suicide bomber or something.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by TayoD1(m): 1:57pm On May 08, 2009
@FBS,

I don't know what the law says, but even if it is 48 hours, I think the best anyone can do now is to help her secure the services of a lawyer. That way, she can at least seek justice and clear her name.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by Ben13: 2:25pm On May 08, 2009
Naija Police is something else undecided
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by Sagamite(m): 3:24pm On May 08, 2009
busi-bodi:

Get a real good camera.

Get a volunteer lawyer.

proudly9ja:

Does anyone know if the Nigerian Police have a website? If they do, Im sure we can get the phone number of the public relations officer, as many people as possible should send texts to this number or even call calling fo rthe release of the poor girl.

Im googling for the web ad right now. If anyone gets it before me, please post it here.

Good starting points.

With the "action" frame of mind, people definitely start brainstorming.

Tayo-D:

@topic,

No matter what she did, the law keepers are already the law breakers, as usual.

Charge her to court and let the judge determine if she should still be held. It is not the decision of a moronic Superintendent.

It is not the right of the police to hold her over a certain period irrespective of how she made her complaint.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by SkyBlue1: 10:22am On May 09, 2009
FBS:

S/NO NAME D                    EPT/UNIT/PARASTATAL DESIGNATION     GRADE LEVEL   LOCATION
30 ASP. VICTOR AKINSANYA ZONE 8-EKITI NODAL OFFICER   EKITI

Full list here.

Wasn't able to get to doing something on this issue till this morning but the link you provided has out of date information. Just called a few of the numbers and one of the people had not been in the position since 2006. Was able to obtain the number for the commisioner of police for ekiti state though, rang but no response so will try later. If you are going to call please be diplomatic and polite so information can be obtained and reason can be reached, a wrestiling match of words and getting hung up on will be of no use.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by SkyBlue1: 8:53pm On May 09, 2009
Just an update, got through to the comissioner of police for ekiti state and the order was given about a day or so ago for Miss Bukola Ajayi's release so she should be out by now. Apparently he was aware of Miss Bukola's situation due to the press releases. The discussion that followed my enquiry was quite insightful with regards to things on the ground in the state especially during the elections. I posted this message just simply to update people and encourage people to become more proactive when it comes to matters of progress in Nigeria. It is so easy to debate and postulate and give commentary. We have enough commentary to fill volumes of books so if we know what to do why don't we just do it?
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by jensinmi(m): 9:08pm On May 09, 2009
@ Sky Blue

Wow. I salute you for taking the initiative and going through with it. Would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Makes me glad you are one of those in charge of the Nigerian Development Movement. Thanks so much.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by Sagamite(m): 11:03pm On May 09, 2009
Thanks, Sky Blue.

Well done.

I think part of the process should also be that the CP punishes those that violated her rights by holding her longer than the law allowed. If he does not do it, then I am afraid we might not move forward.
Re: The Nigerian Police Brutality Continues by jona2: 5:49am On May 11, 2009
northing new. wink

(1) (Reply)

Ojo Maduekwe's Son Arrested For 419 / Drama As Soludo, Ngige Walk Out On Obi During Debate In Anambra. / Nigeria Analogical Question: Why Is The Ninjazord Not Welded Together?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.