Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" (38134 Views)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / Ijmb In Lagos - Everything You Need To Know, And More / Type The Longest Word You Know And The Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Deesquare01(m): 10:37am On Oct 31, 2015
Wowo... Luvly... Thx Op
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Originalsly: 11:12am On Oct 31, 2015
Toks2008:

Do you know that many countries colonized by same britain refuse to bother their heads about this slavish language?

But in naija today ladies reject guys cos they cant speak this foreeign language..toooo bad.
Do you know that if you didn't know the slavish English language Nairaland would be off limits for you? Do you know that if you didn't know English your contacts and opportunities to develop would be limited to speakers of your tribal language only? .....that Google would be just a name to you and not a well of information and connections? You don't speak English girls figure your scope is limited ...why waste time with someone with a low ceiling?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2015
OP thanks for the info.
abeq write on the usage "have has had" pls
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Toks2008(m): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2015
Originalsly:
Do you know that if you didn't know the slavish English language Nairaland would be off limits for you? Do you know that if you didn't know English your contacts and opportunities to develop would be limited to speakers of your tribal language only? .....that Google would be just a name to you and not a well of information and connections? You don't speak English girls figure your scope is limited ...why waste time with someone with a low ceiling?

Lol! I was just catching fun but abeg commot that side that has to do with ladies..maybe you are referring to the ones outside naija cos in Nigeria where i come from, once you have the money,you are the dream guy of many ladies even if you can't write "hello" in English
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by onisol(m): 11:53am On Oct 31, 2015
great enlightenment on English
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by amdoyin82(m): 11:59am On Oct 31, 2015
BOWOTO:
English is so complicated.
honestly..

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by SarahGee: 1:41pm On Oct 31, 2015
thanks OP, but one question ooo.....why do the event hosts in MTN Project Fame usually say...... 'Judges what did you think' .....after an immediate performance' Please enlighten me because the thing they always confuse me. I expect them to say ....'Judges what do you think'.....abi that one na blunder? undecided
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Spells(m): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2015
Do u know that some people will still not understand what we are talking abt here? grin
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 1:58pm On Oct 31, 2015
BobbyDean:
. OP please let say you ask 'did you know the earth is getting lighter everyday' what should my answer be, i know or i knew?

Your answer would be "Yes I know" or "No I don't" instead of "Yes I knew" or "No I didn't"

Regards!
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by mart2k(m): 2:03pm On Oct 31, 2015
Yomieluv:
Op,help me correct this"it have tay he have go out".
ur comment is so funny
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 2:04pm On Oct 31, 2015
SarahGee:
thanks OP, but one question ooo.....why do the event hosts in MTN Project Fame usually say...... 'Judges what did you think' .....after an immediate performance' Please enlighten me because the thing they always confuse me. I expect them to say ....'Judges what do you think'.....abi that one na blunder? undecided

"What did you think" refers to your present thought on what happened in the past while "what do you think" refer to your thought on what is currently happening and seek your suggestions. Trust me some presenters sometimes goof with their choice of words.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by BobbyDean(m): 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Your answer would be "Yes I know" or "No I don't" instead of "Yes I knew" or "No I didn't"

Regards!
thanks alot
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by idealsico(m): 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2015
Did you know that Buhari is a scam?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by karleone(m): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2015
remirez07:
i think by now the Ibos should know the Differ btw do$did.... because na them daft pass, stil claiming over sabi. Dump ass Nigerian

'Dump' ass abi 'dumb' ass?
"Differ" abi "Difference"?
Learn to use the right word for the right sentence, even when you want to shorten the word.

Forming "English master"

I'm not the English type, but, rather than criticize his use of english, I'd rather correct him in humility.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by mozele(m): 8:49pm On Oct 31, 2015
Thank yo!

Ingested & Digested.

I've never thought about the usage of these words before.

Thanks Op
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:
Knowing can be roughly sub-divided as knowing how to and knowing that. If the question is about knowing how to, then the normal 'rules' apply when deciding on the appropriate tense.

Do you know how to make eba? (present tense)

When you started school did you know how to tie your shoelaces? (past tense)

When knowing means knowing that, then the past tense is used for knowledge that existed in the past:

Did you know that she was married when you asked her to dance?

You can use the present tense for present knowledge:

Do you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

However, it is also very common to use the past tense idiomatically to refer to present knowledge. So there is no problem asking:

Did you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

The past tense is often used when the questioner expects that the listener does not in fact know. For example, see these three questions of "Did you know that ...":

Did you know that he's Saraki's son?

Did you know that the iPhone 6 is a collector's item?

Did You Know That Earth Is Getting Lighter Every Day?

Happy Learning!

Needed to mk the likes 125.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by gr8david(m): 5:04am On Nov 01, 2015
Yes, I knew it! No, I don't know May be, I am not even sure
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 2:28pm On Nov 01, 2015
BobbyDean:
. OP please let say you ask 'did you know the earth is getting lighter everyday' what should my answer be, i know or i knew?

Your reply would be "Yes i know"
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 2:32pm On Nov 01, 2015
PMIcon:
** OP I just used it here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2703566/nairalanders-mods-know-still-plagiarism

Am I correct? This English

You are correct.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by BobbyDean(m): 5:36pm On Nov 01, 2015
smuth:

Your reply would be "Yes i know"
thanks alot
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by adusco(m): 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2015
Sent4rina:

Did you know aduco was here this morning?

Did you knw i have been looking for you? anoda adusco is a counterfeit.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Brunicekid(m): 7:32am On Mar 13, 2020
Nice English Education here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Silly Habits Of Most Nigerians When They Become Graduates / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Babcock’s Best Graduating Student Has Never Kissed A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.