Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,064 members, 7,835,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" (38126 Views)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / Ijmb In Lagos - Everything You Need To Know, And More / Type The Longest Word You Know And The Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Gidson05(m): 8:10am On Oct 31, 2015
hmmm, always got confused with that.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by adusco(m): 8:11am On Oct 31, 2015
Codedb2:
I swear, our illiterate president buhari doesn't know this

so you cant learn without mentioning his name bah?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 31, 2015
The English language is just too complicated and dynamic.

OP, thanks for this. I learned a thing from it.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Codedb2: 8:13am On Oct 31, 2015
adusco:

cheesy cheesy
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by telad(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2015
Hmm, so lovely. @Op, keep it up. Did you know that the Op has been studying for his MSC proficiency test in English exam?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by femi4: 8:15am On Oct 31, 2015
airmirthd1:
Did you know I got that....am I correct?? undecided
yes my lady
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Fabulous7(m): 8:23am On Oct 31, 2015
ibkgab001:
People who graduated from hamiomia college of education anambra will run away from this topic ... Simply because they use pidgin to defend thier final year projects
This is wicked!!! grin
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by dayojags10(m): 8:27am On Oct 31, 2015
abegi, Oyinbo sef no hear Yoruba
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Toks2008(m): 8:29am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:
Knowing can be roughly sub-divided as knowing how to and knowing that. If the question is about knowing how to, then the normal 'rules' apply when deciding on the appropriate tense.

Do you know how to make eba? (present tense)

When you started school did you know how to tie your shoelaces? (past tense)

When knowing means knowing that, then the past tense is used for knowledge that existed in the past:

Did you know that she was married when you asked her to dance?

You can use the present tense for present knowledge:

Do you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

However, it is also very common to use the past tense idiomatically to refer to present knowledge. So there is no problem asking:

Did you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

The past tense is often used when the questioner expects that the listener does not in fact know. For example, see these three questions of "Did you know that ...":

Did you know that he's Saraki's son?

Did you know that the iPhone 6 is a collector's item?

Did You Know That Earth Is Getting Lighter Every Day?

Happy Learning!

Do you know that many countries colonized by same britain refuse to bother their heads about this slavish language?

But in naija today ladies reject guys cos they cant speak this foreeign language..toooo bad.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by acetoeflng: 8:31am On Oct 31, 2015
At OP, a very insightful and educative topic. Thank you.

Having difficulty attaining the required scores in your TOEFL test? Too busy to attend structured classes? I could help you ace TOEFL from the comfort of your home.

My Credentials
Masters level graduate. TOEFL score of 115/200 (2013) and 111/200 (2015). Honorable mention; 8/9 band IELTS (2012). In my combined attempts at TOEFL, my highest scores have been; 30/30 (reading), 30/30 (writing), 29/30 (listening) and 27/30 (speaking). All certificates available on request.

TOEFL Myth busting
Myth 1. You need to speak in a forced or American accent to have any chance of scoring 25 and above in TOEFL speaking.
Even though I’m widely travelled, I have spent most of my life in Nigeria and speak with an unmistakable ‘Nigerian accent’. Your preparation, content and technique of delivery are more important than your accent in ensuring a 25+ score in speaking. Verdict – Busted.
Myth 2. There is never enough time to adequately prepare and respond to the speaking questions in the time allotted.
I thought so too until I applied my response formulas to the speaking section with commendable results. Verdict – busted.
Myth 3. You need to be a ‘lightening quick’ typist in order to stand a chance of completing the writing questions in the allotted time.
Even though fast typing skills are an obvious advantage, the structure and content of your composition will undoubtedly predicate your final score even if your essay is unfinished. Verdict – (once again) busted.

The ideal client
Has already registered for the TOEFL exam (or is about to register).
Has at least two weeks (preferably one month) to the exam date.
Has a working computer with internet connection and a valid internet subscription.
Has laser type focus.

Can’t wait to start? Or, you’ve got more questions/enquiries?
Send me an email at acetoeflng@gmail.com or kindly call my Client Care Manager, Susan on 09093901591.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by NaomiNew(f): 8:32am On Oct 31, 2015
Codedb2:

Did u rid ur post?
U dnt insult pple anyhw
He is old enough 2 b ur grandpa
N clearly, ur grandpa does nt knw it either.
I 1da y it is only here in Nigeria pple insult their president wit xo much delight!!!
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by j4sure(m): 8:33am On Oct 31, 2015
OK
smuth:
Knowing can be roughly sub-divided as knowing how to and knowing that. If the question is about knowing how to, then the normal 'rules' apply when deciding on the appropriate tense.

When knowing means knowing that, then the past tense is used for knowledge that existed in the past:

However, it is also very common to use the past tense idiomatically to refer to present knowledge. So there is no problem asking:

The past tense is often used when the questioner expects that the listener does not in fact know. For example, see these three questions of "Did you know that ...":

Happy Learning!
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 8:37am On Oct 31, 2015
Finally
I found what av been looking for
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 31, 2015
sanbells:
Do you know that this is simple English?

grin grin grin
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by gretblue: 8:43am On Oct 31, 2015
Did you know that PDP senators were dumbed during Amechi ministerial screening.

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by gretblue: 8:47am On Oct 31, 2015
Do you know that APC senators will continue to use and dumb PDP senators till thy kingdom comes.

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 31, 2015
Toks2008:

Do you know that many countries colonized by same britain refuse to bother their heads about this slavish language?

But in naija today ladies reject guys cos they cant speak this foreeign language..toooo bad.

It is no longer foreign as it is the official language and as millions of Nigerians are bilingual right from birth. It is a BIG advantage to be raised bilingually and even more so when one of the two languages is a world language. People who grow up with two languages find it easier to learn any other new language.

People ALL OVER THE WORLD try to master English proficiently spending a lot of money on private tutors. Schools ALL OVER THE WORLD teach English as the FIRST foreign language choosing it over other foreign languages and you want to do away with it - in a globalized world? I would rather use it to my advantage.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by PMIcon(m): 8:50am On Oct 31, 2015
It's been a while a beautiful piece like this made front page. Kudos to whoever made it so.

**Okay OP I just used it here: https://www.nairaland.com/2703566/nairalanders-mods-know-still-plagiarism

I'm I correct? This English
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Justicealh3(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2015
Did u know that Nigeria-Nigerians corruption as stop?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by ayourbamie: 9:03am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Happy Learning!

thanks very much

I'd love you to explain the difference between these 2 ''I'm and Am'' most people use am instead of going I'm... e.g am on my way... I believe it should not be but I can't explain
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by PMIcon(m): 9:23am On Oct 31, 2015
** OP I just used it here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2703566/nairalanders-mods-know-still-plagiarism

Am I correct? This English
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by BobbyDean(m): 9:24am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Happy Learning!
. OP please let say you ask 'did you know the earth is getting lighter everyday' what should my answer be, i know or i knew?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by ademega(m): 9:31am On Oct 31, 2015
Codedb2:
God make me an illiterate president
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by 14teenK: 9:32am On Oct 31, 2015
Nice one...OP
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by MRAbudant(m): 9:34am On Oct 31, 2015
Yomieluv:
Op,help me correct this"it have tay he have go out".
it is, 'it has been long since he went out, or he has left a long time ago'

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Sent4rina: 9:40am On Oct 31, 2015
adusco:

Did you know aduco was here this morning?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by slyng(m): 10:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Hello op, can we make this a daily routine? I'm so much in love with this.keep it up and i just hope NL mod will give it a daily nod
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Happy Learning!

Did u know that d op na Yoruba man

Yes I do, he is from Yoruba!!!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by remirez07(m): 10:21am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Happy Learning!
i think by now the Ibos should know the Differ btw do$did.... because na them daft pass, stil claiming over sabi. Dump ass Nigerian
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by professore(m): 10:28am On Oct 31, 2015
Did u know that I like this post? LOL
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by ibedun: 10:29am On Oct 31, 2015
Hmmm....

Did you know the IPOB leader was arrested in Yoruba land?

The people he hates so much.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Invade Primary School, Classroom In Edo With Cattle (Photos) / Total Scholarship Application 2017/2018 / 10 Silly Habits Of Most Nigerians When They Become Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.