Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,833 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" (38075 Views)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / Ijmb In Lagos - Everything You Need To Know, And More / Type The Longest Word You Know And The Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 6:53am On Oct 30, 2015
Knowing can be roughly sub-divided as knowing how to and knowing that. If the question is about knowing how to, then the normal 'rules' apply when deciding on the appropriate tense.

Do you know how to make eba? (present tense)

When you started school did you know how to tie your shoelaces? (past tense)

When knowing means knowing that, then the past tense is used for knowledge that existed in the past:

Did you know that she was married when you asked her to dance?

You can use the present tense for present knowledge:

Do you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

However, it is also very common to use the past tense idiomatically to refer to present knowledge. So there is no problem asking:

Did you know that the meeting has been cancelled?

The past tense is often used when the questioner expects that the listener does not in fact know. For example, see these three questions of "Did you know that ...":

Did you know that he's Saraki's son?

Did you know that the iPhone 6 is a collector's item?

Did You Know That Earth Is Getting Lighter Every Day?

Happy Learning!

144 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by jantofubu(m): 6:56am On Oct 30, 2015
Digested cool

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by divinehand2003(m): 6:58am On Oct 30, 2015
This is a beautiful piece and it's very unique on nairaland. More of these please and thanks dear OP

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by sanbells(f): 6:59am On Oct 30, 2015
Do you know that this is simple English?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by BOWOTO(m): 7:01am On Oct 30, 2015
English is so complicated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by GboyegaD(m): 7:05am On Oct 30, 2015
Great and educative thread.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by boboLIL(m): 7:07am On Oct 30, 2015
u no chop ur school fees

10 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Engrczar(m): 7:12am On Oct 30, 2015
Another example: I did not have strength to waka

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 30, 2015
OP there's a typo in your topic. It should read "Do You Know" and not "Do You Now"
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Abayor7: 12:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
Karmanaut:
OP there's a typo in your topic. It should read "Do You Know" and not "Do You Now"
˚°ºsmileyНɑ=DНɑ\=D/нa=))нɑ=Dнɑ:Dº°˚ ˚°ºsmileyНɑ=Dнa=))нɑ=Dнɑ:Dº°˚ ​​​ ˚°ºsmileyНɑ=Dнa=))нɑ:Dº°˚ ˚°ºsmileyНɑ=))нɑ:Dº°˚ ˚°ºsmileyНɑ:Dº°˚ ˚°º\=D/\=D/º°˚
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Dbestmax(m): 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2015
[size=13pt]Op Do you know what am thinking
that you don't know the past tense is used actually when the questioner assumes the person should know..like
"Did you know that I was here cheesy [/size]

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 1:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
Karmanaut:
OP there's a typo in your topic.
It should read "Do You Know" and not "Do You Now"

Sorry I forgot my glasses... Corrected. Thanks grin

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 1:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
Abayor7:

˚°ºsmileyНɑ=DНɑ\=D/нa=))нɑ=Dнɑ:Dº°˚
˚°ºsmileyНɑ=Dнa=))нɑ=Dнɑ:Dº°˚
​​​ ˚°ºsmileyНɑ=Dнa=))нɑ:Dº°˚
˚°ºsmileyНɑ=))нɑ:Dº°˚
˚°ºsmileyНɑ:Dº°˚
˚°º\=D/\=D/º°˚

Abeg na wetin dey make you laugh now? Shey you wan infect this post with your anti-frontpage virus?

Lalasticlala abeg move this thing to front page, abi shey e no dey educative enough? Hehn?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Adatob(m): 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
Oya o lalasticlala do d needful cos na biafra/amaechi dy always make fp
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hehe.. I have really learnt something new today
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by luckaz(m): 8:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
smuth:

Did you know that she was married when you asked her to dance?
Happy Learning!
pls i do not know if it is " ...asked her to dance"? or "...asked her for dance"?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by PenSniper: 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2015
Engrczar:
Another example: I did not have strength to waka

That is why "na" only you "waka come".

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Do you know that lalasticlala has not seen this?

Do you know how to mail the Super Mod?

Did you report any abusive post to the Mod?
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by smuth(m): 2:48am On Oct 31, 2015
luckaz:

pls i do not know if it is " ...asked her to dance"?
or "...asked her for dance"?

Instead of saying "...asked her for dance" you should say "...asked her for a dance"

However,

"...asked her to dance" is more suitable.

Please visit this thread for more clarification:

https://www.nairaland.com/2703145/difference-between

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 3:43am On Oct 31, 2015
Op,help me correct this"it have tay he have go out".

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Stephanie75(f): 5:55am On Oct 31, 2015
Thanks for this piece of information.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 31, 2015
This is what should be making front page!...not stories about some actress and her birthday suit.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by GODSBEAUTY(f): 8:03am On Oct 31, 2015
smuth:

Sorry I forgot my glasses... Corrected. Thanks grin

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Codedb2: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2015
I swear, our illiterate president buhari doesn't know this
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by chronique(m): 8:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Ok. This is actually a straight forward issue. Thought you were about to share something very complex.
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by zonax(m): 8:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Gud

1 Like

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by jeffizy(m): 8:06am On Oct 31, 2015
Yomieluv:
He don comot tey tey is more appropriate. grin

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by ibkgab001: 8:06am On Oct 31, 2015
People who graduated from hamiomia college of education anambra will run away from this topic ... Simply because they use pidgin to defend thier final year projects

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by femi4: 8:06am On Oct 31, 2015
Yomieluv:
"it has tay" is more appropriate grin

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Akwasi(m): 8:08am On Oct 31, 2015
English lipsrsealed
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 31, 2015
Did you know I got that....am I correct?? undecided
Re: Difference Between "Did You Know" And "Do you know" by kokomilala(m): 8:09am On Oct 31, 2015
Nice! It's basically the problem of tenses.Nigerians and other peoples who use the English Language as their second language care less about their use of tenses, concord, numbers, person etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging / What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? / Babcock’s Best Graduating Student Has Never Kissed A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.