Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Opinion » Who Is The Legal Owner Of Falkland Island - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Opinion » Who Is The Legal Owner Of Falkland Island (528 Views)

Hurricane Irma Destroys Entire Barbuda, Caribbean Island (Photos) / ACLU Wins Legal Challenge Against Immigration Ban / Zimbabwe Adopts Chinese Yuan As Official Legal Tender In Exchange For $40m Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion » Who Is The Legal Owner Of Falkland Island by kinibigdeal(m): 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
I will love an interactive discussion on the subject matter to those that love history. I wouldn't want to bug anyone with the story about the Island and the resulting war between Great Britain and Argentina's. But for those that have not read about the story or heard about the War I will like to refer you to this links https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_dispute and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

There is definitely an uncertainty surrounding the ownership of the Falkland Island. The Falkland Island have been in British hands for over 180 years, despite lying 7,900miles away from South Atlantics.

Argentines has repeatedly challenged British claim to Sovereignty and wants the Island, 300 miles from the Argentine coast, to fly its flag.

Now, what are their claim of ownership?

Argentines rely on an ancient legal principle called "Utipossiditis junis" which states that all the territory of the former spanish colony becomes Argentines after independence(This will be another story, but Spain colonize Argentina. The falkland Island were taken by the spanish during the post-colonial era in South-America and Africa, and they became Argentines in 1833 according to Argentines. Another claim by the Argentines is that geographically, the Island is within their coast called Archipelago

British Legal Claim

Britain Claimed that they discovered the Island 180 years ago by one of their Sailers "Samuel Latone in 1870", they also claimed that the Island is part of their former colonies which was backed by the UN.

We should not forget that this results in a serious war in 1976 between Britain and Argentina where 649 argentines soldiers died, and 255 British service men died.

Your take, who actually owns Falkland island? In my unbiased Opinion, I think is the Argentine

(1) (Reply)

Into Zika's Heart: The Ugandan Forest Where Virus Was Found / Hillary Clinton Would Beat Donald Trump, Ted Cruz But Would Lose To John Kasich / Putin, Daesh Would Welcome Britain Exit From EU , Cameron Claims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.