Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,778 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Questions About The Publishing Business In Nigeria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions About The Publishing Business In Nigeria (960 Views)

Is Authorhouse Publishing Genuine? / Ask Your Questions About Writing And Publishing Here / Which Book Really Teaches How To Build A Million Naira Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Questions About The Publishing Business In Nigeria by Nnenna1(f): 2:08am On May 09, 2009
Anyone familiar with publishing in Nigeria? I'd most like posters with some experience (first-hand or no) in paperback fiction publishing - however, anyone with relevant information is welcome. I can't seem to find much information about this as I am in the States, thus I'm throwing out possibly naive questions. Please bear with me.

First off - publishing popular fiction = profitable? I'm not looking to score with literary-type works like those of Soyinka, Saro-Wiwa, Wa Thiongo e.t.c. I'm thinking along the lines of cheap pulp fiction with several titles which will initially sell a few thousand copies a month, but spike enough demands to keep a publishing house going ( or perhaps explode, who knows  smiley). The closest to what I'm thinking of are the Pacesetter novels. The sort of page-turner books with suggestive, quality cover-illustrations, dramatic, romantic and slightly bizzare story lines, and enough draw to induce readers to buy. These books, I hope, should sell for about N150-N200 a copy but still afford a good bottom-line. Good Idea?

I know that it's tough, and more so with the Nigerian climate. What are the major challenges? How delusional does this post sound, given your own experiences? What about hiring, pricing (is 200 Naira too low to a price to achieve?), piracy, cost-cutting strategies, general Nigerian hustle, and taking on writers who are able to produce works along these lines? Most especially, what would you say about the demand and potential market for these books? Any advice about marketing?

Pick and choose as many questions as you think you can answer. Thanks.  tongue
Re: Questions About The Publishing Business In Nigeria by Chinwenita: 11:32am On May 09, 2009
Nnenna, I think questions about your challenges was partly answered by Oluti and Ahaureus ( I think the Spelling of this name might not be correct) in their replies to Viquetoria's post of 2nd May, 2009: I Need A Publisher.
I am an upcoming Author, I don't know your level, but the popular advice about writing and publishing in Nigeria by those who had the experience is that one should not embark on it for an immediate monetary gain, otherwise one is likely to be frustrated soonest. Do it as a calling and hobby, by the grace of God you are likely going to smile any day.
Besides, your ideas are very fantastic and you can go ahead to sell your ideas in the name of re-branding Writing and Publishing in Nigeria. Continue to strive.

(1) (Reply)

Your Best Author / Amazon Presents In The House Of Dogs [kindle Edition] / My Alphabet Of Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.