Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,440 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons (1082 Views)

''why Nigeria Youth Are Unemployed / If You Are Unemployed, I Think You Should Do This...IBADAN OR.South west only / This Story How My Sister Got A Good Job Will Inspire You If You Are Unemployed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by kinibigdeal(m): 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2015
1. You aren’t networking enough.

Almost all jobs these days are found through networking. If you’re applying through job boards, searching the internet, counting on recruiters or responding to want ads…you’re not doing enough. And, as I’ve said elsewhere, your resume is almost useless. Locate those companies yourself

2. You interview poorly.
I’m surprised and shocked at how poorly people interview. Chewing gum, not dressing for the interview, arguing, and saying what you will and won’t do are all interview killers.

4. You didn’t shave.
Don’t go in with one of those “stubble beards.” Either actually have a beard or be clean-shaven. The people who are probably making the hiring decision really, really hate the three day stubble beards that are the norm among younger men. And ladies should avoid long artificial nails, too much make-ups and high-heels wears, mini-skirts or not properly covering your boobs,it can send a wrong impression to the interviewer. That is why most interviewer ask you out instead of talking about the job because you gave them that impression.

5. You’re asking too much money.
Look, there is a “great reset” going on. Salaries are lower these days. Frankly, companies are not going to hire someone with huge salary gap to what they can afford. Why not investigate their salary structure before going for interview. It isn’t the problem of employers you have lived beyond your means. Everyone is tight these days. Don’t go asking for a large salary.

6. You’re very overqualified.
Realistically, companies will only hire someone with much years of experience with a great deal of responsibility in their last job for an entry-level job. Entry-level jobs will be filled by entry-level people. All you do when you apply for these things is annoy the employer. I know you might be desperate. But it is better to consult or start your own business, than to apply for entry-level jobs. When companies see someone with extensive experience applying for an intern job, most companies won't bother to interview them. Because they know they’ll be gone in a heartbeat if something in their field comes along, they won’t stay and grow with the company. Also companies are aware that they’re not going to be coachable which will generally be a pain in the neck. Don’t bother to apply for these jobs.

7. You didn’t follow the directions in the posting.
A HR once said "In our last job posting, we asked for a brief statement with a resume telling us why, after looking at our website, the candidate would like to work for us. Only two people even came close to following the directions! "Do what you’re asked to do in the job posting or by the hiring authority. If you’re not going to do what your potential boss asks you to, you’re not going to do what he or she asks you to when you’re employed, now, are you?

8. You missed an important piece of the interviewing process.
You are asked to come to an events and meet our clients. And you respond by e-mail that you couldn’t make it, but wanted to continue to the next phase of interviewing. Well, that was the next phase of interviewing! They will see you as unserious, remember many applicant are out there.

8. You’re evasive.
If you’re asked a question, answer it. Don’t beat around the bush, and don’t give stupid canned answers. A clear example of this is the number of people who say, when asked about a weakness,“I guess I’m just too much of a self-motivated, self-starter who is too hard on himself.”Stupid answer.

9. You can’t communicate.
Don’t make the interviewer crowbar information out of you. If you can’t communicate well, you won’t get employed. If you do happen, by some miracle, to get employed, you won’t last long.

10. You’re unprepared.
I’ll be very clear. If you go up against one of an highly prepared candidates, you’re going to lose and lose big. Don’t be cheap! Look for someone to help you with interviewing, networking, ask those that have undergo such question. You can also do that via social media e.g Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by Feebie4All(m): 2:03pm On Nov 01, 2015
that's quite true though
Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by ambassadorgozie(m): 2:14pm On Nov 01, 2015
Noted.

OP I don tire for all dis dos and don'ts of getting jobs in nigeria.

Some graduates are doing all u said abov including networking nd following instructions but all to no avail.

I vividly believe dat God will reason our matter nd giv us jobs before december.

If u believe follow shout AMEN

3 Likes

Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by ashson: 2:19pm On Nov 01, 2015
You dont have Connection... Simple
Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by feldido(m): 2:52pm On Nov 01, 2015
Guy forget all this talk... Work no de

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by olafum1(m): 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2015
Hmm... cool cool
Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by Fpersiee(m): 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2015
hmm. does it really I just wasted my time opening this topic? undecided
Re: Why You Are Unemployed » 10 Simple Reasons by timmyblast(m): 11:45pm On Nov 01, 2015
You do well. Kindly give us 10 simple reason why you are employed

(1) (Reply)

....... / Want To Improve Your Career? Four 2016 New Year Resolutions You Should Consider / Etisalat Call Center Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.