Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,183 members, 7,860,251 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:20 AM

Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! (880 Views)

Fayose Buys Fuel From Black Market Sellers Because Of Ekiti Fuel Scarcity (Photo / More Photos Of People Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker In Ibafo,ogun / People Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
That was back in December 2004. I had returned from the Deeper Life December Retreat to my base around Apapa, Lagos. I was disturbed to have met very scanty number of passenger boats at the waterside. We do have a lot of boats at that particular waterside. My unease led me to inquire from people around what had happened to our passenger boats. There was no way all of them could have secured enough passengers to have left the waterside to the villages at the same time. I was told there was a massive fore explosion behind our community. Folks have gone to rupture petroleum products pipeline. I lost over 58 acquaintances to that mayhem. I lost 5 very close friends. Many were burned beyond recognition. Many weren't found at all.

Fast forward to May 2006, a similar one occurred again. This one was like the final judgment. I lost over 60 acquaintances. It was shocking as those who miraculously survived the 2004 blast went back to the site in 2006 and perished.

I could recall I warned and admonished some of the victims from going to pipelines but they waved my advice away with their hands. Some told me they were willing to make wealth at all costs. They lost their lives.

In 2012, in Okugbe, an a community located in Rivers state was devastated and led to tears as hundreds of its people were roasted to death following their scooping of petrol from a truck that ha spilled its product following an accident. It was devastating that it made the headlines of most national dailies.

A similar scene played out recently in Lagos. Though there was no explosion BUT Nigerians risked their lives to scoop products from another truck that had had an accident. I recall seeing a woman with her child strapped to her back.

I know humans are poor learners of history. In the Nigerian case, despite the attendant dangers, folks still risk their lives going to scoop fuel.

What can be responsible for this reckless attitude? Poverty? Greed or epic stupidity? Please, make we torchlight this matter. Life is irreplaceable.

Lalasticalala, please kindly do the needful. Thanks.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by carinmom(f): 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2015
All.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Andyg: 3:23pm On Nov 03, 2015
All of the above
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Djicemob: 4:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
Greed and stupidity

I wont be surprised if someone among the scooping crowd have over a million naira in his or account.

Worst were the motorist parked right next to the scoopers sight seeing and taking pics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2015
Djicemob:
Greed and stupidity

I wont be surprised if someone among the scooping crowd have over a million naira in his or account.

Worst were the motorist parked right next to the scoopers sight seeing and taking pics.

Hmmmmm.....you didn't allude it to poverty?
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Djicemob: 4:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmmmm.....you didn't allude it to poverty?
That too bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2015
Djicemob:
That too bro

Yeah. I believe greed is also involved.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Odunharry(m): 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
Greed and stupidity....
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by hahn(m): 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
Lol. All of the above.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by temitemi1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 03, 2015
Poverty+stupidity...
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Djicemob: 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2015
dearpreye:

Yeah. I believe greed is also involved.
And i wonder how much scooping would you do to change your life when you have hundreds of people scooping at the same time.

Probably a kegg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 03, 2015
Djicemob:
And i wonder how much scooping would you do to change your life when you have hundreds of people scooping at the same time.

Probably a kegg

It's just about the mindset. Probably a keg or a few buckets.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by modath(f): 5:41pm On Nov 03, 2015
It's a combination of all three in varying degrees coupled with the feeling of "Let me join them " & "invincibility" ...

Let me join them in the sense that some may not actually have the mind to engage in such but have associates wear down their reservations & in order not to be seen as weak or a slave to propierty, they succumb.

Even though we hear the "get rich or die trying" mantra on a daily basis, not one of them would have entertained the thought that it could actually happen to them.

They always had the belief that they are above going down that way & therefore throw caution to the wind.

My 2k.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2015
modath:

It's a combination of all three in varying degrees coupled with the feeling of "Let me join them " & "invincibility" ...

Let me join them in the sense that some may not actually have the mind to engage in such but have associates wear down their reservations & in order not to be seen as weak or a slave to propierty, they succumb.

Even though we hear the "get rich or die trying" mantra on a daily basis, not one of them would have entertained the thought that it could actually happen to them.

They always had the belief that they are above going down that way & therefore throw caution to the wind.

My 2k.

I totally agree with your last two paragraphs. I lost a very close friend of mine in the 2006 disaster. Prior to that period I had warned him to discontinue the dangerous practice. He told me categorically there was no way he was going to get caught in the incident. He didn't come back alive.

Another one narrowly survived the 2004 incident. He returned in 2006 and was killed in the disaster
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by modath(f): 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2015
dearpreye:

I totally agree with your last two paragraphs. I lost a very close friend of mine in the 2006 disaster. Prior to that period I had warned him to discontinue the dangerous practice. He told me categorically there was no way he was going to get caught in the incident. He didn't come back alive.

Another one narrowly survived the 2004 incident. He returned in 2006 and was killed in the disaster

Oh, What a sad end to a life of struggle, what a pity ...

Really wish this could make front page in order to get diverse opinions & views but it's unlikely cos it has no political slant & there are no gory pictures attached. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 03, 2015
modath:

Oh, What a sad end to a life of struggle, what a pity ...

Really wish this could make front page in order to get diverse opinions & views but it's unlikely cos it has no political slant & there are no gory pictures attached. smiley

The pictures are still vivid in my mind. I lost scores.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by modath(f): 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
dearpreye:

The pictures are still vivid in my mind. I lost scores.

Not you, of course! You can't ever forget such.. Occasionally nightmares wouldn't be amiss either, we've stopped at a scene of a major fatal accident once & forget the site despite not knowing one person in the ill fated vehicle.. ....

I meant as educative & engaging the thread would have been, you know once people open & don't find any gore to gawk at or pass any comments about, they can't connect... Deep thinking is not something that is everywhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 03, 2015
modath:

Not you, of course! You can't ever forget such.. Occasionally nightmares wouldn't be amiss either, we've stopped at a scene of a major fatal accident once & forget the site despite not knowing one person in the ill fated vehicle.. ....

I meant as educative & engaging the thread would have been, you know once people open & don't find any gore to gawk at or pass any comments about, they can't connect... Deep thinking is not something that is everywhere.

I perfectly do understand. A picture is worth more than a thousand words.
Re: Nigerians Scooping Fuel From Ill-fated Trucks: Poverty, Greed Or Stupidity! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2015
They voted Buhari then they are definitely stup1d

Abeg help me enjoy Ashanti turnt up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPAw3Q7YzM

(1) (Reply)

Biafran Supporters!!! Help Me Answer These Questions / Fuel Scarcity Bites Harder, Petrol Now N400 Per Litre PUNCH / South East Governors To Convene Emergency Meeting Over Biafra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.