Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ (2198 Views)

Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? / Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Winnergal(f): 7:35pm On May 11, 2009
How did your parents discipline you as a child . . .?

From what age did the discipline start and at what age did it end . . .?

Did they ever flog/cane/hit you . . .? If yes, how often . . .?
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 11, 2009
It already exists! And family matters should be posted in Family!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-249630.0.html
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Seun(m): 10:11pm On May 11, 2009
This thread shouldn't have been locked. There's a difference between "how did your parents bring you up" and "how should a child be brought up". Who locked it?
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 11, 2009
Seun:

This thread shouldn't have been locked. There's a difference between "how did your parents bring you up" and "how should a child be brought up". Who locked it?

Na una know! tongue
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Sissy3(f): 10:43pm On May 11, 2009
my discipline started very early. and yes, flogging, spanking and scolding was needed and was used as often as the need arise embarassed embarassed
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by FLGators1: 3:41am On May 12, 2009
My mom brought me up with the "3 chances" method.

"I'll tell you once, I'll tell you twice. The third time I have to tell you again, the consequence will be yours".

As if, she'll happily say it the 5th time sef.
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Outstrip(f): 5:57am On May 12, 2009
My mom used anything. Shoes, pots, pans, spatula, handbag, electric cord etc. She would have thrown the couch at you if she could
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by OgidiBoy(m): 5:59am On May 12, 2009
My parents never laid a finger on us growing up, that is just child abuse. Nigerians who spank their kids are so primitive angry
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Sissy3(f): 6:06am On May 12, 2009
OgidiBoy:

My parents never laid a finger on us growing up, that is just child abuse. Nigerians who spank their kids are so primitive angry

sometimes kids needs spanking and americanas do spank their kids so does that also mean they r primitive?
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 12, 2009
~Sissy~:

sometimes kids needs spanking and americanas do spank their kids so does that also mean they r primitive?

Westerners are not gods and if they behave stupidly they can be called stupid.
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by ekakids(f): 3:00pm On May 12, 2009
my parents especially my mom did not give us any chance to mess around witout recieving a good beating with what every is close at hand
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 13, 2009
My dad was a disciplinarian to the core. His punishments range from severe beating to hunger strike. Sometimes we’ll be forced to sleep outside to ‘appreciate the blessing of having a roof over my head’. I hated those days because in the end, I know what made me to be who I am today and it aint no beatings or punishments.
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by UyiIredia(m): 7:06pm On May 13, 2009
undecided undecided well, well, i think of d beatings with d canes, sticks, belts, wires ( angry angry still hate dis 1), brooms &
any odas thing that could inflict pain  cry cry then i remniscence on d pickin pins (  angry my mum's fav), d ecomogs &
d kneelin down 4 hours.

, hated d fact dat during punishment ma parents told me how GOOOOOD they were to their parents
and how BAAAAAAAAAAADDDDD i am

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nevertheless,

[center]  kiss kiss LUV U MUM and cool cool PAPI koooool [b]don[/b]___u too dey vex[/center]
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Sissy3(f): 8:34pm On May 22, 2009
michelin89:

Westerners are not gods and if they behave stupidly they can be called stupid.

i know they are not gods. i ask him that question cuz of the way he pointed fingers at nigerians knowing fully well that there are not the only ppl who spanks their children.
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 22, 2009
it all depends on WHEN and WHERE you grew up. SOME OF the corporal punishment that we call CHILD ABUSE today was not seen as child abuse in the 80s or before it was called "disciplining" your child. today you can smack your child and go to jail even if that child did something INCREDIBLY crazy.
we all know that some parents are out of line with the punishment they inflict on their children but i think some children need to be spanked and put back in line.
i know from experience that beating your child black and blue doesnt help ALL THE TIME,but in some cases, it is a necessity and makes wonders!
to each their own!
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by iice(f): 9:37am On May 23, 2009
Koboko, belts and all the various flogging devices. . . Which was preferable anyway to those long sermons grin Also 90degress squat and kneeling. . .
Re: ~Parental Discipline: How Did Your Parents Discipline You As A Child . . . ?~ by Warfibabe(f): 9:06am On Dec 09, 2012
My dad (God rest his soul) never touched us. But my MAMA!... as you grow older the instruments graduates with you..belt, cane, folded wires, shoes.. when we were older, she'd lock us outside till late at night, then you know better than to ask of dinner. Looking at my mum now, its difficult to imagine her as the wicked mum we grew up with.. grin

(1) (Reply)

Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? / He Locked Me Out But Wants To Marry Me. help! / 5 Categories Of Mothers And Where They Get To Spend Eternity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.