Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,414 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba (4829 Views)

LIVE ON NTA: Senate Kicks Against Petition Submitted Against Rotimi Amaechi / Udom Emmanuel Kicks Off State Industrialisation With Auto Assembly Plant / Heads To Roll As President's Anti-Corruption War Kicks Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Afaukwu: 10:00am On May 12, 2009
Orji Commissions N10b Aba Malting Plant

Abia State Governor, Theodore Orji, has commissioned the N10 billion Aba Malting Plant, which is located in Obingwa Local Government Area of the state.

Orji, who performed the ceremony at the company's complex over the weekend, commended its management for the massive investment.

He said the company's decision to site the ultra-modern plant in Aba has further underscored the investment potential of the state, assuring that the government would provide the enabling environment to encourage the setting up of more industries in the state.

He also pledged to ensure the security of lives and property and charged the state's Commissioner for Police to carry out this mandate efficiently.

Orji, who led top members of his cabinet to the occasion, later unveiled the commemorative plaque and went on a facility tour of the plant, accompanied by senior management of the company.

In his address, Mr. Michiel Herkemij, managing director/chief executive, Aba Malting Plant, described the investment as a manifestation of the company's unalloyed support for the growth and development of Abia State.

He recalled that Aba Malting Plant, formerly known as Universal Malting Plant, was incorporated on October 8, 2004, by a group of investors to produce and supply high quality malted sorghum for the food and beverage industry.

Noting that the strategic initiative was conceived to create employment opportunities for Nigerians through technical support to farmers and other entrepreneurs, as well as empower them to produce the vital raw material locally, he said the Aba Malting Plant acquired the Universal Malting Plant on March 1, 2008.

"As at December, 2008, Aba Malting Plant had invested about N10 billion in this project to ensure its sustenance," adding, "Aba Malting Plant is an ultra-modern highly automated sorghum malting plant with the latest technology for the sorghum malting process. The plant is the biggest of its kind in the whole of Africa."

According to Herkemij, the plant would assist in ensuring high quality malted sorghum for the production of beverages of the highest quality for consumers.

"The plant will also become a centre of excellence for sorghum malting knowledge and skills.

"Our goal is to assume the role of an African regional knowledge centre for sorghum research. In addition, it will create sustainable employment through direct engagement in sorghum farming and other activities related to sorghum supply chain management," he said.

"All these massive investments," he said, "have made the company one of the highest investors in the state."

Besides, he appealed to stakeholders to support the government's vision for quick industrial growth and investment promotion in the state by creating the enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

Dignitaries from all walks of life-including traditional rulers in the locality, top officials of government parastatals and agencies, graced the occasion, while Chief Kola Jamodu, the Chairman of Aba Malting Plant, led the company's management team to the ceremony.
http://www.independentngonline.com/news/ndig/article02
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by rasputinn(m): 11:47am On May 12, 2009
@ OP

You must be a PR man for Governor Theodore Orji of Abia state or a shareholder in a NB rival company.I didn't see Nigerian Breweries in your write-up
Why craft the topic as if the malting plant is an Abia state project when it actually belongs to Nigerian Breweries Ltd
The Hekermij you mentioned is the MD of NB,Orji was invited to do the honours of commissioning the project cus it's in Obingwa,a town in Abia state which Orji governs,I'm sure you didn't mean to mislead Nlanders

2 Likes

Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by webpro(m): 1:03pm On May 12, 2009
thats my Governnor for sure. smileyhe is kool,
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by naijacutee(f): 1:28pm On May 12, 2009
Congratulations, governor. A N10B malting plant is exactly what Aba needs!
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Sagamite(m): 3:04pm On May 12, 2009
rasputinn:

@ OP

You must be a PR man for Governor Theodore Orji of Abia state or a shareholder in a NB rival company.I didn't see Nigerian Breweries in your write-up
Why craft the topic as if the malting plant is an Abia state project when it actually belongs to Nigerian Breweries Ltd
The Hekermij you mentioned is the MD of NB,Orji was invited to do the honours of commissioning the project cus it's in Obingwa,a town in Abia state which Orji governs,I'm sure you didn't mean to mislead Nlanders

Fraudulent news. grin grin grin

I actually thought it was a state enterprise.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by doncaster(m): 3:22pm On May 12, 2009
rasputinn:

@ OP

Are you insane? The poster copied from one of naija dailies and you are here attacking him.

Sagamite:

Fraudulent news. grin grin grin

I actually thought it was a state enterprise.
Why is it a fraudlent news?
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Sagamite(m): 3:34pm On May 12, 2009
doncaster:

Why is it a fraudlent news?

Because who ever the author is doctored it in such a way that it comes across as if Orji runs the show for the creation of the Plant. No mention or credit was given explicitly to Nigerian Breweries.

It was made to look more like a public project by the Government to grow Abia State.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by doncaster(m): 4:41pm On May 12, 2009
Sagamite:

Because who ever the author is doctored it in such a way that it comes across as if Orji runs the show for the creation of the Plant. No mention or credit was given explicitly to Nigerian Breweries.
It was made to look more like a public project by the Government to grow Abia State.
Are u sure you read the post? How can a forigner(Michiel Herkemij) head a government enterprise in Abia state as mentioned in the article. Unless u have another thing in mind i dont see how the Topic or the news seem to be fraudlent.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by kshow1(m): 4:43pm On May 12, 2009
rasputinn:

@ OP

thanks my broda i was actually thinking it was a state project too when i saw the caption.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Afaukwu: 4:54pm On May 12, 2009
How does the caption suggest that the malting project is state-owned? Plus, does it not say of Orji's superior strategy (whatever that means) if out of 36 states, Abia is selecetd by NBL for this project?
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by gem87(f): 5:49pm On May 12, 2009
I think the Golden Guinea breweries in umuahia should be resuscitated instead
even if under a different name, seems such a wast with that building still
standing there non-functional (last time i checked anyway)
the state capital needs something that enterprising, Aba is fine if you ask me
what with the abundance of private traders and entrepreneurs ,
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by asha80(m): 5:54pm On May 12, 2009
gem87:

I think the Golden Guinea breweries in umuahia should be resuscitated instead
even if under a different name, seems such a wast with that building still
standing there non-functional (last time i checked anyway)
the state capital needs something that enterprising, Aba is fine if you ask me
what with the abundance of private traders and entrepreneurs ,

I think it has been resuscitated.I read it somewhere.I might be wrong though.What i am more interested is the geometric power thing to get started.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Afaukwu: 6:14pm On May 12, 2009
Golden Guinea breweries will be producing again from December
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by blacksta(m): 6:18pm On May 12, 2009
they can all drink themselves to death.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by jona2: 6:23pm On May 12, 2009
those kidnappers in Abia will soon kidnapped them.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by AloyEmeka9: 6:26pm On May 12, 2009
" will soon kidnap them" :  Learn english very well before you practice tribalism.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Afaukwu: 6:41pm On May 12, 2009
Lol ''Jona'' is a mentally-challenged illiterate fisherman who needs to be completely ignored
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by sosisi(f): 8:13pm On May 12, 2009
*jona:

I said it earlier that the only 2 skills you have in life are

1. Serving kolanuts at the riverine mamywota shrines grin
2. Copy and paste

You have no choice but to dwell on your bad news so as to forget the sorry existence you live. Statistics tell us  that Rivers state has the highest score in WAEC English but you are a disgrace to any Ijaw or Ijoid individual.
Why don't you write in pidgin ?
You remember the first time you wrote a full sentence and exposed your stupidity and I pointed it out, now the whole nairaland knows you have a head full of freeze dried periwinkles.
Please run to the pages of the national dailies and dig up more crime stories from the SE and SW,at least that seems to be your specialty.
Ewu Borokiri slums.
I wonder who you're stealing from to pay for all these countless hours on the hinternet
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by rasputinn(m): 8:34pm On May 12, 2009
@ dullcaster

You stand ignored
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by doncaster(m): 11:37pm On May 12, 2009
rasputinn:

@ dullcaster

You stand ignored
All i asked is a question cheesy cheesy Are you insane? cheesy tongue tongue tongue
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by rasputinn(m): 12:23pm On May 13, 2009
Afaukwu:

Plus, does it not say of Orji's superior strategy (whatever that means) if out of 36 states, Abia is selecetd by NBL for this project?

Hmm,Afaukwu international grin grin grin
I like your patriotism for your state
About the plant being cited in Abia,let me inform you that it's got nothing to do with Gov Orji's strategy or lack of it
I'm not speaking for NB but it's been said that it's a deliberate expansion policy of NB to concentrate their breweries in the southern part of Nigeria (with the exception of the Kaduna plant)

Recall that some few years ago,operations in their Aba brewery(different from the soghum malting plant) was scaled down (about the same time the multi billion dollar Ama brewery close to 9th mile in Enugu state was built and commisioned for the brewing of Heineken for the local and West African market),then nobody tried to heap accolades on then Gov Nnamani for having the biggest brewery in sub-saharan Africa on his turf.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Abagworo(m): 7:03am On Mar 14, 2013
Afaukwu: Orji Commissions N10b Aba Malting Plant

Abia State Governor, Theodore Orji, has commissioned the N10 billion Aba Malting Plant, which is located in Obingwa Local Government Area of the state.

Orji, who performed the ceremony at the company's complex over the weekend, commended its management for the massive investment.

He said the company's decision to site the ultra-modern plant in Aba has further underscored the investment potential of the state, assuring that the government would provide the enabling environment to encourage the setting up of more industries in the state.

He also pledged to ensure the security of lives and property and charged the state's Commissioner for Police to carry out this mandate efficiently.

Orji, who led top members of his cabinet to the occasion, later unveiled the commemorative plaque and went on a facility tour of the plant, accompanied by senior management of the company.

In his address, Mr. Michiel Herkemij, managing director/chief executive, Aba Malting Plant, described the investment as a manifestation of the company's unalloyed support for the growth and development of Abia State.

He recalled that Aba Malting Plant, formerly known as Universal Malting Plant, was incorporated on October 8, 2004, by a group of investors to produce and supply high quality malted sorghum for the food and beverage industry.

Noting that the strategic initiative was conceived to create employment opportunities for Nigerians through technical support to farmers and other entrepreneurs, as well as empower them to produce the vital raw material locally, he said the Aba Malting Plant acquired the Universal Malting Plant on March 1, 2008.

"As at December, 2008, Aba Malting Plant had invested about N10 billion in this project to ensure its sustenance," adding, "Aba Malting Plant is an ultra-modern highly automated sorghum malting plant with the latest technology for the sorghum malting process. The plant is the biggest of its kind in the whole of Africa."

According to Herkemij, the plant would assist in ensuring high quality malted sorghum for the production of beverages of the highest quality for consumers.

"The plant will also become a centre of excellence for sorghum malting knowledge and skills.

"Our goal is to assume the role of an African regional knowledge centre for sorghum research. In addition, it will create sustainable employment through direct engagement in sorghum farming and other activities related to sorghum supply chain management," he said.

"All these massive investments," he said, "have made the company one of the highest investors in the state."

Besides, he appealed to stakeholders to support the government's vision for quick industrial growth and investment promotion in the state by creating the enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

Dignitaries from all walks of life-including traditional rulers in the locality, top officials of government parastatals and agencies, graced the occasion, while Chief Kola Jamodu, the Chairman of Aba Malting Plant, led the company's management team to the ceremony.
http://www.independentngonline.com/news/ndig/article02

Going by some people's logic, Orji has performed well but not in infrastructure. When you combine this with many other giant investments like the largest aluminium can manfacturing in Africa, highest concentration of small scale industries(11,000 shoe factories in one city) and the geometric power which will make it also the 1st Nigerian city to enjoy 24hr power generated and distributed privately, then one cannot help but accept that Aba is investor friendly.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Ngwakwe: 7:50am On Mar 14, 2013
Aba is a singular city where every Nigeria is at home.

Yorubas, Hausas, Efiks, Ibibios, Ijaws etc are stakeholders and when they buy landed property or invest in the city, they are immediately integrated into the communities as brothers who are accorded every right equaling that of indigenes.

If you are a Nigeria who want to invest where your investment will eternally be protected, Biafra or no Biafra.

Abagworo:

Going by some people's logic, Orji has performed well but not in infrastructure. When you combine this with many other giant investments like the largest aluminium can manfacturing in Africa, highest concentration of small scale industries(11,000 shoe factories in one city) and the geometric power which will make it also the 1st Nigerian city to enjoy 24hr power generated and distributed privately, then one cannot help but[b] accept that Aba is investor friendly[/b][b][/b].
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by drnoel: 10:46am On Mar 14, 2013
rasputinn: @ OP

@ OP, na wah 4 all these government stoonges. Abia state that the governor has been sleeping since he came to power. Have always none nothing good can come out of the Orjis governing Abia.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by swagana: 1:02pm On Mar 02
Abagworo:

Going by some people's logic, Orji has performed well but not in infrastructure. When you combine this with many other giant investments like the largest aluminium can manfacturing in Africa, highest concentration of small scale industries(11,000 shoe factories in one city) and the geometric power which will make it also the 1st Nigerian city to enjoy 24hr power generated and distributed privately, then one cannot help but accept that Aba is investor friendly.

Who can tell how this giant industry is fairing today 15 years after kick off.
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by Ola9ja23: 1:13pm On Mar 02
swagana:

Who can tell how this giant industry is fairing today 15 years after kick off.

😁😁🤣😁😁😁😁

So pe oti lo 😁😁🤣

Long gone
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by swagana: 1:17pm On Mar 02
Ola9ja23:

😁😁🤣😁😁😁😁

So pe oti lo 😁😁🤣

Long gone

How do you know it is gone?
You seems to be happy to assume you fellow man's investment is long gone...are you a wintchi?
Re: Malting Plant Kicks Off In Aba by SkullIMAM: 1:18pm On Mar 02
Yarimo

Another suicide option is here for you to choose

(1) (Reply)

Adamawa Gubernatorial Election - I'm Confused. / Photos: Governor Wike Swears In Commissioners In Rivers State / The Real Colonel Ahmed Ali PMB Appointed (pics) - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.