Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation (41303 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.208 Trillion On Airtime In 2017 - New Telegraph / Nigerians Spend N197bn Monthly On Internet Data / I Have Been Wasting Money On Airtime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Reflex123(m): 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
lol! You tried sha but your analysis is faulty. You wrongly assumed that MTN has been making N2.856tr on a yearly basis for the past 4 years. You also assumed that MTN active subscribers base has been the same for the past 4 years and each subscribers contributes equally to MTN revenue for the past 4years. Such kind of analysis cannot hold water anywhere in the world. Your analysis will only make sense if it is based on MTN profit (profit is different from revenue).

jomoh:
And some people keep defending MTN that the fine is outrageous.

Calculate

N238b x 12months= N2.856tr

N2.856tr x 4years (from 2011 of the directive)= N8.568tr

40% mtn market share(estimate) x N8.568tr= N3427.2tr

If they pay N1.4tr out of it is not too much.

#MtnMustPay
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by grtking01(m): 1:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
jewelbaby55:
can't stop loving you man
onpoint @malton
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
Speechless3:
Aiit.These foreign investors are loosing too smiley
Can you explain what you mean better?
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Reflex123(m): 1:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
lol! You tried sha but your analysis is faulty. You wrongly assumed that MTN has been making N2.856tr on a yearly basis for the past 4 years. You also assumed that MTN active subscribers base has been the same for the past 4 years and each subscribers contributes equally to MTN revenue for the past 4years. Such kind of analysis cannot hold water anywhere in the world. Your analysis will only make sense if it is based on MTN profit (profit is different from revenue).

jomoh:

Calculate

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by malton: 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
jewelbaby55:
can't stop loving you man
Love you too, pretty Jewel!
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Image123(m): 1:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
In that case, MTN's fine shouldn't be reduced as they can pay. This is over $1billion monthly in this so called hard time. Annually, it's over $12billion and I'm sure mtn gets up to 30% of those recharge airtime and data.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 1:36pm On Nov 05, 2015
Reflex123:

Did you miss this part.

If MTN had disconnected 5.1million lines do you know the ripple effect on other mtn lines.

Also the report didn't mention profit it mentioned that people spend. Meaning I was only calculation mtn's revenue. I didn't care about their profit cos they could decide to present a N100 profit from the revenue.

BTW fines don't care about the profit you make. It is to discipline you.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Image123(m): 1:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
Reflex123:

The fine is not based on their profit or convenience, it is based on laws, regulations and agreements that mtn isn't ignorant of. MTN won't die by paying this fine. JP Morgan and co have paid worse this year.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
all4naija:

Can you explain what you mean better?
Its all about mutual benefit/loss. If they come over, we may have improved telcom servises while they make huge profit..staying back is to their own disadvantage. There is nothing repulsive about Nigeria so..
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 1:44pm On Nov 05, 2015
martyns303:

Your maths teacher did a terrible job.

kuss:

Did you do Arithmetic
What is 40% of N8.568tr
Definitely not 3427.2tr

If you went to school at all, you will know to cross check and know that it was only an error of original entry. Then you would rather ask me to make correction instead of criticising.

It was a misplacement of decimal.

N3.427tr
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 05, 2015
Speechless3:
Its all about mutual benefit/loss. If they come over, we may have improved telcom servises while they make huge profit..staying back is to their own disadvantage. There is nothing repulsive about Nigeria so..
I quite agree with you. There is no incentive provided by the Nigerian government for these western giants or telecommunication companies to come into the country. The infrastructural support is not there like good roads, constant electricity supply, NCC mandatory fairness to all and the poor security in the nation is the most disturbing issue of all. We have to put our home in order before this western giants can come in and that has to involved the provision of incentive they are used to back in their various countries.

I think there is lot of money to be made in the Nigerian telecommunication sector.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
all4naija:

I quite agree with you. There is no incentive provided by the Nigerian government for these western giants telecommunication companies to come into the country. The infrastructural support is not there like good roads, constant electricity supply, NCC mandatory fairness to all and the poor security in the nation is the most disturbing issue of all. We have to put our home in order before this western giants can come in and that has to involved the provision of incentive they are used to back in their various countries.

I think there is lot of money to be made in the Nigerian telecommunication sector.
smiley we may not have good infrastructures but they are fair enough. Anyone who understands business risk can do well here smiley
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by iscbaba: 1:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fynestboi:

http://newtelegraphonline.com/nigerians-spend-n238bn-on-airtime-monthly-investigation/

Cc: Lalasticlala

We sell SME Data ,bulksms,recharge cards cheaply and we
mentor newbies.
Www.egoldsms.com
Www.cheapxmx.com
58C88D10.BBM.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by GoldenJAT(m): 1:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
yusufogrin:
Shey na essay be diz abi article.......my own b say make mtn go pay dere gbese............was scrolling thru my pix diz morning and something popped up on my screen .....very fast.......but d problem be say I don click ok..........50 disappeared instanta for one freaky mtn link.........chai.....
exactly same thing way happen 2me.just yesterday. E vex me die.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
Speechless3:
smiley we may not have good infrastructures but they are fair enough. Anyone who understands business risk can do well here smiley
Profit matters to investors a lot. Fair enough is not good enough in this case. A situation where business is disrupted by electricity outage or total blackout and continuous use of generating plants would be very discouraging to any big business. The security of their properties and the market is very important and nothing like that in the Nigerian economy. I can see the reason why MTN pride itself so much in that economy. The government is not doing much to prove something is being done. Westerners don't go by sentiments but with facts of what is available on ground.

We need to put our home in order. I don't know why Nigerian leaders are so primitive in nature to plan in a modern way. Jeez! it is very annoying to me.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by thundafire: 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
even dy developed world can acknowledge dat NIGERIA is so rich but have dumbest leaders imagine wat dy re collecting 4rm telecommunications as revenue i knw USA,'BRITAIN our daddy' re hoping 2 get bck 2 dy country 2 rule us again in pretence 2 fight terrorism cs dy mny can go round nd 5k fallacy promise
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
all4naija:

Profit matters to investors a lot. Fair enough is not good enough in this case. A situation where business is disrupted by electricity outage or total blackout and continuous use of generating plants would be very discouraging to any big business. The security of their properties and the market is very important and nothing like that in the Nigerian economy. I can see the reason why MTN pride itself so much in that economy. The government is not doing much to prove something is being done. Westerners don't go by sentiments but with facts of what is available on grand.

We need to put our home in order. I don't know why Nigerian leaders are so primitive in nature to plan in a modern way. Jeez! it is very annoying to me.
well they will have to wait till when we become a first world country and then there will be no need for them...lol

I agree our leaders are mostly backward.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by uchenna249(m): 2:16pm On Nov 05, 2015
yusufogrin:
Shey na essay be diz abi article.......my own b say make mtn go pay dere gbese............was scrolling thru my pix diz morning and something popped up on my screen .....very fast.......but d problem be say I don click ok..........50 disappeared instanta for one freaky mtn link.........chai.....
d same thing happened to me but I didn't press ok. I saw it shaperly
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
Speechless3:
well they will have to wait till when we become a first world country and then there will be no need for them...lol

I agree our leaders are mostly backward.
This is not about becoming first world before seeing the western giants investing in our telecommunication sector. This is about incentives, making progress and having a plan for the future. Positive changes have to be made before any western companies will take us serious.

Some of the problems with our leaders are they are backward and dangerous. They lack this modern plan and understanding of how a civilized society works.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by dapsonlou(m): 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
camanito:
Telecom operators have been exploiting Nigerians since they started operations in Nigeria. The annoying part is that they charge us heavily for calls and data bundles but in other countries its not so. NCC the sleeping giant in the telecoms industry wake up.

FTC ...
God is the greatest. All thanks to Jesus Christ.

Do you know how much bribes they have to pay in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by expertman(m): 2:54pm On Nov 05, 2015
wiseoneking:
you write like a drop out. Go through what you wrote and just explain to me your jargon. I blame Seun for not investigating people like you. Who even asked you if you are a niger delta or from Delta state. You can never common from the side of Ngozi okonjo Iwela, elumelu, ndudi, utomi, zenith bank guru and our able governor Ifeanyi Okowa, the only true peoples governor and be talking like this. Without these ones, there are no Delta state. Now, who are you? How old are you? Who owns delta state. Answer me.
. Ohk thanks Mr Oxford
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by oviejnr(m): 3:00pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ehen and Mtn said they want reduction on the fine. Make them pay, that's a penalty for the bulk text messages I get daily too grin grin
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by thetelz(m): 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
oviejnr:
Ehen and Mtn said they want reduction on the fine. Make them pay, that's a penalty for the bulk text messages I get daily too grin grin

na the messages be koko o, baba ijebu everytime
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by pion: 3:47pm On Nov 05, 2015
jomoh:

Calculate

40% mtn market share(estimate) x N8.568tr= N3.427tr

#MtnMustPay

Good, but a little correction is in order:
N238bn is revenue not profit. They can only pay the fine with profit! Unless you suggest they borrow to pay the fine.

NB:I am neither for nor against MTN.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
okay... what should we do with this information.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by FrankValency(m): 4:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
panch001:
na lie abeg na just dia mumu statistic cos i asure u that half of that money na cheat as for my own case MTN BBLITED baby grin grin
Abeg how will I do that BBLITD cheat,this mtn don chop me die
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by charlesucheh(m): 4:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fynestboi:

http://newtelegraphonline.com/nigerians-spend-n238bn-on-airtime-monthly-investigation/

Cc: Lalasticlala
Come to think of the fact that the aforementioned figures are not commensurate with the level of corporate social responsibilities by these benefiting industries.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 4:41pm On Nov 05, 2015
pion:

Good, but a little correction is in order:
N238bn is revenue not profit. They can only pay the fine with profit! Unless you suggest they borrow to pay the fine.

NB:I am neither for nor against MTN.

Fine is not deducted after profit. The company will count it as part of expenses and deduct it before declaring the profit to be shared by shareholders.

So it is before tax which is before profit.

Even the fine will be taxed because it is taxable expenses.

Fine doesn't care if you make profit or loss, if you borrow it or steal it. Just pay and you still pay tax on it. Na u break d law.

#Accountant/Auditor here
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by nenergy(m): 5:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
camanito:
Telecom operators have been exploiting Nigerians since they started operations in Nigeria. The annoying part is that they charge us heavily for calls and data bundles but in other countries its not so. NCC the sleeping giant in the telecoms industry wake up.

FTC ...
God is the greatest. All thanks to Jesus Christ.
Is the cost of doing business as high in "other countries"?.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Lakeland4321: 7:09pm On Nov 05, 2015
jomoh:

Calculate

40% mtn market share(estimate) x N8.568tr= N3.427tr

#MtnMustPay
i am not supporting mtn but what you calculated was revenue not profit which will be about 15% of that amou
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
Lakeland4321:
i am not supporting mtn but what you calculated was revenue not profit which will be about 15% of that amou

You're probably right cos they would've declared profit for those period and shared it but ceteris paribus this accounting year will go down as explained below.

jomoh:

Fine is not deducted after profit. The company will count it as part of expenses and deduct it before declaring the profit to be shared by shareholders.

So it is before tax which is before profit.

Even the fine will be taxed because it is taxable expenses.

Fine doesn't care if you make profit or loss, if you borrow it or steal it. Just pay and you still pay tax on it. Na u break d law.

#Accountant/Auditor here

Except NCC gives them a concession to pay installmentally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Airtel Introduces WTF Bundle / Pictures Of Made Osun State Phones And Tablets / Difference Between 2G, 3G And 4G

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.