Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? (1415 Views)

Career In Geosciences (geology, Geophysics, Mining, Petroleum Engineer) / Engineers: Improving Engineering (today's Government) with job opportunities / 17 Funny Facts About Engineers: [MUST READ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by GiggsTk(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
Here and there on this forum we've seen and read posts relating to so many career paths. We see threads on Job vacancies, professional certifications, career progression techniques, training on related software's etc.on several disciplines (even the most remote).
It's daunting and surprising that I have found almost none targeted a yet mining engineering or engineers. Even where you find one on geology and mining, you end up finding everyone on the thread professing to be geologists.
Are there no mining engineers? I'll take No for an answer.
Are there no jobs for mining engineers? I doubt that too
Maybe we don't just know how to use the web? It should be a big lie
Are we just too busy with work? Bankers should be busier.
It's a truth that when you study mining engineering, there is a focus more on the working of solid mineral deposits, but going through the curriculum shows that we do bits and pieces of all basic engineering fields( I mean enough to make us relevant even in such fields). I therefore can't fathom any ineptitude in our training system.
It's then alarming that you see that adverts (even from the oil and gas sector - a relative offshoot of mining) rarely or don't post vacancies for mining engineers.
The Nigerian system of revenue generation has neglected the solid mineral sector, missing the rather consistent and juicy revenue that would have accrued from this sector.
Is solid mineral mining dead? No, I know of a few big names as Dangote and few other quarries, but I don't seem to come across these mining engineers or anything related to them. I know we are few, as only one university and about three polytechnics offer this course, Bit where are we?

Mining engineers on this forum, Please where are you?
What is happening?
Are there no Jobs?
Is the country's environ that hostile?
I'm curious coz asides the money therein, I have a passion for engineering and mining in particular - probably because of its rugged and extremely demanding nature.

Note
A young and recent graduate of mining engineering, waiting for NYSC. But while I wait, I'm hoping for either an intern, training in mining specific software's, but nothing in sight. I'll appreciate any help. Thanks.
Please mods, I'll appreciate if this can be moved to the front page, even if not for the content, at least for the possibility of better inputs and information from experienced personnel. CC Lalasticala
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by raayah(f): 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
I am not into mining per se, but I work with metals.

Since you just finished NYSC, I think you should just cast your net into the engineering job ocean. Don't be too specific for now. Just get into the industry and find a way to get to mining.
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by GiggsTk(m): 1:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
raayah:
I am not into mining per se, but I work with metals.

Since you just finished NYSC, I think you should just cast your net into the engineering job ocean. Don't be too specific for now. Just get into the industry and find a way to get to mining.
Thanks, actually waiting to begin NYSC.
Thanks once again
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by sasquareT(m): 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
It seems you ar from Kabba right?....I'm a fresh geology graduate waiting for the compulsory NYSC stuf too. I will like to no you.
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by GiggsTk(m): 4:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
sasquareT:
It seems you ar from Kabba right?....I'm a fresh geology graduate waiting for the compulsory NYSC stuf too. I will like to no you.
I live at Kabba.
It'll be nice to know you too. Thanks
You finished from which school?
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by GiggsTk(m): 4:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
And it's really funny that outside the scope of Nigeria, this career is trending and in fact everywhere even in countries with less mineral endowment when compared with Nigeria.
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by sasquareT(m): 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
GiggsTk:

I live at Kabba.
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by sasquareT(m): 4:41pm On Nov 05, 2015
GiggsTk:

I live at Kabba.

Unimaid and you?
I'm from kabba but currently reside in Lagos
Re: Mining Engineers! Please, Where Are Mining Engineers? by GiggsTk(m): 7:15pm On Nov 05, 2015
sasquareT:

Unimaid and you?
I'm from kabba but currently reside in Lagos
Kogi state polytechnic

(1) (Reply)

How Hardworking Can A Pretty Nigerian Lady Be? / Forbes Releases Top 10 Richest African Musicians For 2015 – Number 2 Will S / List Of Successful Candidate For The Nigeria Airforce DSSC Recruitment 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.