Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? (1444 Views)

Daddy Freeze And His Free The Sheeple Movement Against Pastors & Tithers / The Word Of Faith Movement Is Satanic And Her Pastors Impostors The Word / Word Of Faith Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
Is the Word of Faith movement biblical? Is it God's will for all Christians to be physically healthy and financially prosperous? undecided
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
Is the Word of Faith movement biblical?
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 1:07pm On Nov 07, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Is the Word of Faith movement biblical? Is it God's will for all Christians to be physically healthy and financially prosperous? undecided

It is God's will that ALL humans dominate their environment. '
This is what is clearly stated in the opening chapter of Genesis
I doubt an unhealthy person is capable of dominating his environment
and in many parts of the modern world, it would be quite a task (although possible) to dominate ones environment without some financial muscle
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
esere826:

It is God's will that ALL humans dominate their environment. '
This is what is clearly stated in the opening chapter of Genesis
I doubt an unhealthy person is capable of dominating his environment
and in many parts of the modern world, it would be quite a task (although possible) to dominate ones environment without some financial muscle

Dominion does not mean oppression, does it? undecided
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by ABDULADINO(m): 6:18am On Nov 12, 2015
Is deeper life movement biblical?Smh!
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by Anas09: 6:50am On Nov 12, 2015
I wish ABOVE ALL THINGS that you PROSPER and be in HEALTH even as ur soul prospers. 3rd John 1:2.
My emphasis is on 'above all things'
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 1:05am On Nov 14, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Dominion does not mean oppression, does it? undecided
nope.
Back to the discuss. Wealth and health are only some tools in dominating your environment. Your inquiry can be likened to asking this sort of question. "is it God,s will that every one lives?" It's what is done with life that matters. Not life itself
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:11pm On Nov 14, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

Word of Faith teaching is decidedly unbiblical. It is not a denomination and does not have a formal organization or hierarchy. Instead, it is a movement that is heavily influenced by a number of high-profile pastors and teachers such as Kenneth Hagin, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Paul and Jan Crouch, and Fred Price.

The Word of Faith movement grew out of the Pentecostal movement in the late 20th century. Its founder was E. W. Kenyon, who studied the metaphysical New Thought teachings of Phineas Quimby. Mind science (where "name it and claim it" originated) was combined with Pentecostalism, resulting in a peculiar mix of orthodox Christianity and mysticism. Kenneth Hagin, in turn, studied under E. W. Kenyon and made the Word of Faith movement what it is today. Although individual teachings range from completely heretical to completely ridiculous, what follows is the basic theology most Word of Faith teachers align themselves with.

At the heart of the Word of Faith movement is the belief in the "force of faith." It is believed words can be used to manipulate the faith-force, and thus actually create what they believe Scripture promises (health and wealth). Laws supposedly governing the faith-force are said to operate independently of God's sovereign will and that God Himself is subject to these laws. This is nothing short of idolatry, turning our faith—and by extension ourselves—into god.

From here, its theology just strays further and further from Scripture: it claims that God created human beings in His literal, physical image as little gods. Before the fall, humans had the potential to call things into existence by using the faith-force. After the fall, humans took on Satan's nature and lost the ability to call things into existence. In order to correct this situation, Jesus Christ gave up His divinity and became a man, died spiritually, took Satan's nature upon Himself, went to hell, was born again, and rose from the dead with God's nature. After this, Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to replicate the Incarnation in believers so they could become little gods as God had originally intended.

Following the natural progression of these teachings, as little gods we again have the ability to manipulate the faith-force and become prosperous in all areas of life. Illness, sin, and failure are the result of a lack of faith, and are remedied by confession—claiming God's promises for oneself into existence. Simply put, the Word of Faith movement exalts man to god-status and reduces God to man-status. Needless to say, this is a false representation of what Christianity is all about. Obviously, Word of Faith teaching does not take into account what is found in Scripture. Personal revelation, not Scripture, is highly relied upon in order to come up with such absurd beliefs, which is just one more proof of its heretical nature.

Countering Word of Faith teaching is a simple matter of reading the Bible. God alone is the Sovereign Creator of the Universe (Genesis 1:3; 1 Timothy 6:15) and does not need faith—He is the object of faith (Mark 11:22; Hebrews 11:3). God is spirit and does not have a physical body (John 4:24). Man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26, 27; 9:6), but this does not make him a little god or divine. Only God has a divine nature (Galatians 4:8; Isaiah 1:6-11, 43:10, 44:6; Ezekiel 28:2; Psalm 8:6-8 ). Christ is Eternal, the Only Begotten Son, and the only incarnation of God (John 1:1, 2, 14, 15, 18; 3:16; 1 John 4:1). In Him dwelt the fullness of the Godhead bodily (Colossians 2:9). By becoming a man, Jesus gave up the glory of heaven but not His divinity (Philippians 2:6-7), though He did choose to withhold His power while walking the earth as man.

The Word of Faith movement is deceiving countless people, causing them to grasp after a way of life and faith that is not biblical. At its core is the same lie Satan has been telling since the Garden: “You shall be as God” (Genesis 3:5). Sadly, those who buy into the Word of Faith movement are still listening to him. Our hope is in the Lord, not in our own words, not even in our own faith (Psalm 33:20-22). Our faith comes from God in the first place (Ephesians 2:8; Hebrews 12:2) and is not something we create for ourselves. So, be wary of the Word of Faith movement and any church that aligns itself with Word of Faith teachings.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Word-Faith.html
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
ABDULADINO:

Is deeper life movement biblical?Smh!

Good question, Not. cool
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2015
Anas09:

I wish ABOVE ALL THINGS that you PROSPER and be in HEALTH even as ur soul prospers. 3rd John 1:2.
My emphasis is on 'above all things'

Which one is above all things, prosperity, health or spiritual health?
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2015
esere826:

nope.
Back to the discuss. Wealth and health are only some tools in dominating your environment. Your inquiry can be likened to asking this sort of question. "is it God,s will that every one lives?" It's what is done with life that matters. Not life itself

What do you think is above the 'tools' used in dominating your environment? undecided
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 10:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

What do you think is above the 'tools' used in dominating your environment? undecided
it includes but not limited to wealth, heath, love, wisdom, war, treachery, understanding, knowledge, banter, smiles, laughter, pro-creation, .....you name it
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:42pm On Nov 25, 2015
esere826:

it includes but not limited to wealth, heath, love, wisdom, war, treachery, understanding, knowledge, banter, smiles, laughter, pro-creation, .....you name it

But what was Paul's wish for believers above all that? undecided
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

But what was Paul's wish for believers above all that? undecided
]

Paul had many wishes for you and I. Which one are you referring to?

And by the way, if we are not to stray too far from the OP which is this "Is the Word of Faith movement biblical? Is it God's will for all Christians to be physically healthy and financially prosperous?"

....then the answer is quite simple, albeit contextual.

It's Gods' will that we dominate our environment.
the tool for domination is not set in stone.

A man washed unto an island would have no need for money. What he would require is good health, smart brains, hope, other people loking for him, perseverance, faith etc
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:50am On Nov 27, 2015
esere826:
]

Paul had many wishes for you and I. Which one are you referring to?

And by the way, if we are not to stray too far from the OP which is this "Is the Word of Faith movement biblical? Is it God's will for all Christians to be physically healthy and financially prosperous?"

....then the answer is quite simple, albeit contextual.

It's Gods' will that we dominate our environment.
the tool for domination is not set in stone.

A man washed unto an island would have no need for money. What he would require is good health, smart brains, hope, other people loking for him, perseverance, faith etc

Am referring to his wish 'above all things'. What do you think that wish was? undecided
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by orisa37: 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2015
Yes it is. It is simply Faith movement; Believers crusade and the sons and daughters of Abraham's gatherings and actions to win Souls for God. It is God's will for all Christians to be physically and spiritually healthy and rich and wealthy.
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by smemud(m): 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
The wordBiblecomes from the Greek word "Biblos," which is translated "book." The original manuscripts of the Bible were kept in the synagogues. Those who had custody of the manuscripts first usedthe Greek word to describe the collection, which later became knownas "the Book."
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 3:55pm On Nov 28, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Am referring to his wish 'above all things'. What do you think that wish was? undecided

I am confused. It;s not this you're referring to right?
"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth"
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:58am On Nov 30, 2015
orisa37:

Yes it is. It is simply Faith movement; Believers crusade and the sons and daughters of Abraham's gatherings and actions to win Souls for God. It is God's will for all Christians to be physically and spiritually healthy and rich and wealthy.

The world also wishes to be wealthy and healthy but what does God wish for His children above these?
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59am On Nov 30, 2015
esere826:

I am confused. It;s not this you're referring to right?
"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth"

Yes. What is above all things there?
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by orisa37: 3:13am On Nov 30, 2015
To be with Him in Paradise. In Adam, we lost Faith. In C.J.we have it and many more including the Comforter back. And He said, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now. But I go to get your apartment, accommodation ready and I shall be back to take you there". So Jesus' coming back is severally to all who receive the Blessings of His Prayers in St. John's Gospel, chapter 17 !!!!

1 Like

Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by esere826: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. What is above all things there?
First, It is my understanding that that verse was written by John, and not Paul hence my confusion.

Next,
"above all things" seem to suggest "my earnest desire"

Using only english translations of the bible and not the original language texts
prosper suggests material/physical growth
Now, taking all three wishes together
he was saying to Gaius, that its his wish/hope (not prayer)
that Gaius grows materially(including financially) and spiritually while sustaining good health
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23am On Dec 07, 2015
orisa37:

To be with Him in Paradise. In Adam, we lost Faith. In C.J.we have it and many more including the Comforter back. And He said, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now. But I go to get your apartment, accommodation ready and I shall be back to take you there". So Jesus' coming back is severally to all who receive the Blessings of His Prayers in St. John's Gospel, chapter 17 !!!!

What are these blessings?
Re: Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
esere826:

First, It is my understanding that that verse was written by John, and not Paul hence my confusion.

It was John and not Paul as you have rightly noted. My bad. cry

esere826:

Next,
"above all things" seem to suggest "my earnest desire"

Using only english translations of the bible and not the original language texts
prosper suggests material/physical growth
Now, taking all three wishes together
he was saying to Gaius, that its his wish/hope (not prayer)
that Gaius grows materially(including financially) and spiritually while sustaining good health

It was a common thing for the pagans in the Roman world to be concerned about their health and wealth but John in his letters did not only wish the believers the same but in addition wished for their spiritual health above all.

(1) (Reply)

How To Stop Masturbation! / Amon, King Of Judah / Opinions Needed: Is Anything Wrong With Nudity ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.