Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,853 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? (793 Views)

Maggots Coming Out From A Woman's Head (Viewers Discretion Advised) / Blood Is Coming Out Of My Nose Instead Of Mucus / Dirty Water Coming Out Of A Tap In Zamfara State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? by Youngmoniii(m): 5:15pm On Nov 06, 2015
I'm actually unaware about how an Air Conditioner (A/C) works. In our office, our A/C's residue (?) pipe is coming out to the toilet floor, and when the A/C is used there tiny droplets come out continuously. Sometimes I jut put a container under the pipe, and could collect a serious amount of water, and the water is damn cold. But for any health risk, we can't use the water. So, my question is: Is the water coming out from an A/C clean and hygienic?
Re: Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? by Ola64(m): 5:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
I don't know for sure. I've been wondering abt it too
Re: Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? by delishpot: 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2015
No it doesnt. The AC is not a water filter or sterilization unit.
Re: Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? by kindl0(m): 5:38pm On Nov 06, 2015
In a properly functioning air conditioner, the water drips down from the coil into a condensate pan and then exits the unit through a drain or tube. However, a clog in this drain or tube can leave a puddle to accumulate inside, which is an ideal environment for many types of harmful bacteria. In particular, a 1976 outbreak of Legionnaires' disease was caused by bacteria that spread out of the air conditioning system at Philadelphia's Bellevue-Stratford Hotel. (That's how the disease got its name: Many of the victims were attending an American Legion convention.) While Legionella is known to thrive in the cooling towers of large air conditioning systems like the one at that Philadelphia hotel, it does not seem to grow in smaller units. Furthermore, dripping water isn't really stagnant, so it's extremely unlikely that the water raining down on pedestrians would be infected.

[size=14pt]The water that drips from air conditioners is probably even safe for drinking. (It's certainly more potable than the drinking water in many countries.) Still, for the reasons mentioned above, it's best not to drink it[/size].

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Cancerous Boy Who Wants To See An Aeroplane Before He Dies - Photos / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Coffee! / The Fattest Woman Alive! Bedridden And Has Not Left Her House For 25 Years (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.