Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,640 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

Five Alternatives To Attending A University In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Alternatives To Attending A University In Nigeria. (868 Views)

7 Advantages Of Attending A Public University In Nigeria / 16 Pictures You Can Relate To If You're Attending A Nigerian University / 3 Male Teachers At St Saviours, Ijegun Beat SS1 Student For Attending A Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Alternatives To Attending A University In Nigeria. by darejulius: 7:26am On Nov 08, 2015
You can lead a boy to college but
you can't make him think.
Elbert Hubbard
http://thedopeculture..nl/2015/11/five-alternatives-to-attending.html?m=1
Re: Five Alternatives To Attending A University In Nigeria. by darejulius: 9:36am On Nov 09, 2015
"University can teach youskill and give you opportunity,but it can't teach you sense,nor give you understanding.Sense and understanding areproduced within one's soul."C.JoyBellC.University education in Nigeria is four years on the average. What would you do if you had three hundred thousand naira for four years? Plus no stress, no supervisor, no assignments, no crammingof Latin letters. When I was in 200 level, someone actually went mad. You know why? He read too much. Alright, I do not believe that too. One fact that I am confident about is that the numbers at thesick bay is highest during exams.One time, I was at the health centre to report my healthcondition. The doctor just gaveme malaria drugs before listening to me. He wrote the prescription before I even stepped into his office. Yes, you know where I am going. School causes malaria."It does not matter what course you studied in school, it is the grade that matters.", I often got told. Later, it became,"it is not the grade that matters, it is how you can adapt to the business world."... It is not who you know it is what you know. Idiot, you're sitting there expecting someone to hire you, go find something to do. Learn hand crafts.My ears are full. My conclusion is that once you have figured out how to learn, you should probably skip school.A long time ago, a friend asked me what I was doing in school. I replied that it was to learn. He said it was for the certificates.There are a lot of online learning platformsthat are affordable, awesome and offer certificates. You can learn on one tab and tweet on another tab.I have found that instead of going to theUniversity, you may be better off staring at the sea for 8 hours a day. 7 days a week. This way you build your fluid knowledge. In the real world (the school environment is the fake world), what will ensure your adaptability and success is not the crammed up facts you learn in the University. It is the fluid knowledge that will ensure your safety in the tank of sharks.No one teaches accurately how to network in the University. The only way to be an effective communicator is actually by communicating. In the real world, you are constantly faced withuncomfortable conversations.Conversations with your boss, coworkers, fears, stage fright and rude secretary. The University community is filled with civilized people who understand how things should be done and are committed to doing them right. The real world is full of uncivilized people. They want to rip off your sanity with uncivilized conversations. You are the civilized one here. Who cares?Alright, I care. I want to save a lot of sanity. I am keeping scores. When I reach 1000 points, I will redeem a prize. I get to skip University when I "time travel" to 2010.For the sake of everyone's sanity, I've compiled the following list for your pleasure. I am not pretending they are exhaustive...1. Create your own library.I told you I am going to be serious. Alright,I actually usedtheword "sanity". They sayno knowledge is a waste. Pi, 3.142, but Pi...."But we're a university!We have to have a library!" saidRidcully. "It adds tone . Whatsort of people would we be ifwe didn't go into the library?""Students," said SeniorWrangler morosely."TerryPratchett, The Last ContinentCreate your own library. There is no subject on earth that has got no authority figure. Someone has written about it. Name it. Golf? 419? Aliens? Find books to satisfy your curiosity. Buy them, read them and apply them. You will, in four years, become an expert on the topic. Read life changing books. Expose your mind to new ideas and new ways of thinking. The mind has to be constantly intellectually stimulated. Otherwise, it hardens and you're formed. Permanently. The specie that survives is the one that adapts fastest.

http://thedopeculture..nl/2015/11/five-alternatives-to-attending.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

. / JAMB Subject Combination For Art And Science / Ahmadu Bello University Produced 89 First-class In Its 38th Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.