Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop (1593 Views)

What Else Can I Do To Make My Windows Xp Access The Internet...iam tired! / Help! Idm Error: Unable To Rename Downloaded File From Temp Folder / HELP: Destination Folder Access Denied Windows 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2015
My laptop keeps telling me: that I cannot access "temp" folder. Instead it will say: u don't currently have permission to access this folder. However, it has a continue button at the bottom, when I click it will say: u have been denied permission to access this folder. Rather it wld require me to use the Security tab. Each time I tried to use the Sec Tab I end up unsuccessfully.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by lanreni: 4:20pm On Nov 08, 2015
hold down windows key while you press the R key.
type %temp% in the dialog box and press enter key.
Note that this is not the solution though to file/folder permission issues.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 6:22pm On Nov 09, 2015
thanks bro, but it didn't open the main 'temp' folder.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by Maleeq(m): 10:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
@OP
What antivirus program do you have installed?

Some antivirus program, by default, blocks execution from and access to the %temp% directory
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 2:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
I use Avast. The %temp% actually opened, but the main "temp" folder was the one that cannot be accessed.
Thanks for your time.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by Maleeq(m): 6:47pm On Nov 10, 2015
Perhaps I am not getting you right, what do you mean by "main temp folder"?
A screenshot could shed more light no this if you can.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 2:34am On Nov 11, 2015
Sorry, I don't really know how to "screen shot". In any case this is what I tried to do before running into the hitch: start menu>accessories>run>in the dialogue box I typed "temp". This is when it says I don't have the permission to access this folder and directed me to use the "security tab" instead: but this also ended unsuccessfully.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by bedfordng(m): 4:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
mday:
My laptop keeps telling me: that I cannot access "temp" folder. Instead it will say: u don't currently have permission to access this folder. However, it has a continue button at the bottom, when I click it will say: u have been denied permission to access this folder. Rather it wld require me to use the Security tab. Each time I tried to use the Sec Tab I end up unsuccessfully.
you will have to give ownership permission right to read/write for the folder.this involve little tweaking from the properties tab.i don't know which operating system you are using. Just do a google search on how to give ownership permission right on your pc folders
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by Maleeq(m): 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2015
mday:
Sorry, I don't really know how to "screen shot". In any case this is what I tried to do before running into the hitch: start menu>accessories>run>in the dialogue box I typed "temp". This is when it says I don't have the permission to access this folder and directed me to use the "security tab" instead: but this also ended unsuccessfully.
Does the user your are currently logged on with have administrative privileges?
The "Continue" button, when click, would implicitly grant you access to the said folder ONLY if your current user is a member of the "Administrator" group on your PC.

To confirm this:
1. Open command prompt (cmd)
2. Type the following command
net localgroup "Administrators"

The output should be sometime like this:

C:\Users\Maleeq>net localgroup "Administrators"
Alias name Administrators
Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator
Maleeq
The command completed successfully.
Note: The highlighted name is my own currently logged on username.

3. Is your currently logged on user name displayed? If no, then you will have to log on with an account/user that has administrative rights to assign your user to the Administrator group.

Try these first, and let me know so we know where to proceed from.

Regards.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 2:16pm On Nov 14, 2015
This is what I get

Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 2:19pm On Nov 14, 2015
This is what I get

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>net localgroup "Administrators"
Alias name Administrators
Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the compu
ter/domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator
User
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\User>
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by Maleeq(m): 2:56pm On Nov 14, 2015
Looks to me you are a member of the Administrator group.

Lets do this. It may seem long, but the steps are easy:
1. Right click My Computer and select properties. Then select "Advanced system settings"

2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Environment variables"

3. In the "System Variable" section, scroll down to the "TEMP" variable and note the location shown. In case, TEMP = C:\Windows\Temp

4. Close all open dialogs/windows, and navigate to the "C:\Windows\" and right click on the "TEMP" folder, select "Properties" . Next click the "Security" tab

5. Click "Continue" to bring up the screen below. Click "Add" next

6. Clicking "Add" from step 5 above would open the dialog below. The field "Enter the Object Name" , enter "User" ...this is your username as you've indicated in the previous post output

7. Click on "Check Names" to confirm the account is valid. The computer name is automatically appended to the username you entered confirming its is valid. Once its valid, click "OK" to proceed to step 8

8. You should now see your username added to the list as indicated below. Under the "Allow" checkboxes, click "Full Control"

9. Full control has been granted to your user. Click OK next

10. Accept the warning and click "OK" on any open dialog left.

11. You should be granted access to the folder.

Cheers!
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 1:11pm On Nov 15, 2015
Dear Maleeq thanks so much for your help and perseverance I really appreciate.
However, at step 10 of your description above: after clicking ok it says: "An error occurred while applying security information to: C:\win...\Microsoft"...
I even went back and removed the "TrustedInstaller" listed among Group or user name, it still ended unsuccessfully.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by Maleeq(m): 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
Yeah, I got that same error too, but clicking OK and continuing granted me access to the TEMP folder still.

Na wa o...this your issue sha.

By the way, why do you need access explicitly to this TEMP folder? Perhaps if we knew what you trying to achieve, there just may be another way around it.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 4:36pm On Nov 15, 2015
I was actually trying to make my Computer run faster!
Re: Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop by mday: 2:48pm On Nov 16, 2015
I was following a guide on how to make your computer run faster and will have to access the "temp" folder first, and then the %temp% folder.
However, the "temp" is the one that's inaccessible.
I would be glad if you could furnish me with an alternative.
Thanks so far.

(1) (Reply)

Asus Rog, 8gb Ram, 1tb Hdd, 7th Gen. Core I7-7700hq, 4gb Nvidia Gtx 1050 / Clean Neat HP Core I5 12gig 1 Terabyte Touch Screen With Keyboard Light For Sale / Fish For Those Who Dont Know How To Fish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.