Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets (852 Views)

Aisha Buhari Calls Fayose A Mad Dog; Nigerians On Twitter React / Godswill Akpabio Meets With Wellington Jighere, World Scrabble Champion. (Pics) / Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by Tolexander: 7:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday evening congratulated a Nigerian, Wellington Jighere, after he emerged World Scrabble Champion, the first from Africa.

According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President conveyed his congratulatory message to Jighere in a telephone conversation he had with the 36-year-old Nigerian who is currently in Perth, Australia.

“I called to rejoice with you over your performance. You have done the country proud, and we are very happy. Please, pass my congratulations to other members of Team Nigeria,” Buhari reportedly told Jighere who defeated Lewis Mackay of Cambridge, England, by 448 points to 426 to win the championship which was competed for by 450 players from round the world.

Jighere who was said to have been delighted at the telephone call from the President pledged to bring more glory to the country.

The five other Nigerian representatives finished in the top 50 scrabble players in the world bracket.

Shortly after Buhari ended the telephone conversation, news got to him that the Under-20 female football team, the Falconets, have qualified for the Women’s World Cup Tournament after beating the Basetsana of South Africa by a lone goal in an away game.

The Falconets had walked a tight rope after scraping just a 2-1 win over South Africa in Nigeria two weeks ago.

With the away goal counting double rule, all that South Africa needed today was a single goal, but the Nigerian girls turned the table.

“This is a clear case of the indomitable Nigerian spirit. Such will soon be evident in all aspects of our national life,” Buhari said.

The President had on Saturday made a similar telephone call to Golden Eaglets asking them not to settle for anything less than victory in the final match of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup holding in Chile on Sunday.
http://punchng.com/2015/11/5016
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by carinmom(f): 7:19pm On Nov 08, 2015
Sai Baba is really cares about this nation.

Ride on our amiable and patriotic president!
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by politricks: 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2015
And someone has the audacity to say the name 'Buhari' is associated with failure.
Under him Nigeria has won its first ever scrabble competition, falconets has qualified, golden eaglets are ready to bring the cup home. Not forgetting he was the first Nigerian leader to ever recieve that cup. If that is what you call failure, then i need an F9 ASAP.

*modified*

My guys just reminded me that Under him Nigeria also won the Africa
nation's basketball tournament
for the first time ever.

Singing *Baba you too much o you too much*
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by freshness2020: 7:23pm On Nov 08, 2015
He don try.
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by asvpChuu(m): 7:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
new twitter @cocoboy1738 .. Pls follow me
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 08, 2015
Good one, encourage hard work
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by Tolexander: 7:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
I remember those days when the GEJites did attribute every Nigerian success in sport to Goodluck Jonathan's personality and good governance. What do you have to talk on the success being recorded in this tenure?

*******lipsealed*******##
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by mymadam(m): 7:34pm On Nov 08, 2015
politricks:
And someone has the audacity to say the name 'Buhari' is associated with failure.
Under him Nigeria has won its first ever scrabble competition, falconets has qualified, golden eaglets are ready to bring the cup home. Not forgetting he was the first Nigerian leader to ever recieve that cup. If that is what you call failure, then i need an F9 ASAP.

Abeg, make u no mind dem jare. Na sour grapes. May The Almighty Father forgive them... IF they repent and ask for forgiveness!
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by Tolexander: 7:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
politricks:
bros,

You even forgot the D'Tigers winning the Afro Basketball tournament recently in AugustAugust being the very first Nigerian major trophy ?
Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by doctokwus: 7:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
politricks:
Under him Nigeria won the Africa nation's basketball tournament for the first time ever .

1 Like

Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by otokx(m): 8:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
Change the entire world can see.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Calls, Congratulates World Scrabble Champion, Falconets by politricks: 8:22pm On Nov 08, 2015
Tolexander:
bros,

You even forgot the D'Tigers winning the Afro Basketball tournament recently in AugustAugust being the very first Nigerian major trophy ?
doctokwus:

Under him Nigeria won the Africa nation's basketball tournament for the first time ever .
Tolexander:
bros,

How did i forget that?. Anyway, i already added it

(1) (Reply)

My Experience With Overspeeding in America - When Will Nigeria Be Like This? / What Fayemi Should See: Osun State Gold Mining Problem / Bonny PDP Member Goes Berserk, Destroys Non-indigenes' APC Secretariat, Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.