Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,414 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve (655 Views)

APC Paid Blair To Take Photo With Buhari As UK Politicians Refused To Meet Him. / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve by boliatiepa: 5:34pm On May 15, 2009
With each new revelation about the appalling culture of impunity surrounding MP's expenses at Westminster, one is compelled to ask whether politics simply brings out the worst in those who nominally should represent the best of society.

With the recent indictment of Elumelu by the EFCC, the shenanigans in Ekiti and the effete Nigerian government, our opinions of those in Abuja is only confirmed. They simply played to type.

But the UK is a mature democracy with a rich political history and heritage of genuine national heroes, men and women of spirit whose primary focus was the national interest and many would be turning in their graves at the flagrant flouting of the most basic ethical practice.

I can imagine the David Marks' and Dimeji Bankoles' of this world smirking satisfactorily to themselves. I bet Bankole can't wait to get back on Hardtalk and stick this drama in Westminster up Steven Sackur's nose. I also sincerely hope Sackur takes the bait and throws a chair at him National Assembly style.
Re: Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve by hoeyeadoe: 5:55pm On May 15, 2009
I'm of a candid opinion that only the good things be imitated. With regards the situation, they are no role models for representative democracy. But how does that affect us practically as Nigerians . Is 9ja democratically representative enuf to even hold her governors to account? or is the media unbiased enuf to bring to display the sleaze in the 9ja government- We know these things abi?

The system as we know has created a vacuum that is implicitly and explicitly exploitable and that would be addressed soonest in the parliament. Plus, the very few admitting their mistakes have apologised and refunded the money accordingly.
Re: Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 15, 2009
If our politicians were only as corrupt as their British counterparts, Nigeria would be paradise by now.
Re: Uk Politicians Give Their Nigerian Counterparts A Reprieve by sbo(m): 11:32pm On May 15, 2009

(1) (Reply)

What I Expect Yaradua And Fashola To Do (road And Transport) / Nigeria’s Problems Are Beyond Yar’adua, Say Jakande, Abdullahi / Why We, Nid Criticise Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.