Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any (9866 Views)

I Need Selective Herbicide For Yam Crops / Herbicide For Cassava Farm / Herbicide To Control Weed In Maize Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Faber(m): 10:17am On Nov 12, 2015
hi ! good willed farmers in the house. I need help on any selective herbicide that can spare my 3wks old watermelons and deal with the weeds on the farm. I used paraforce on a section of the farm and it burnt the affected crops. I need help urgently cos the weeds are spreading.

Thank you all as I anticipate your favourable help and advice, I will surely pay heed to them.

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by agricentral(m): 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2015
Faber:
hi ! good willed farmers in the house. I need help on any selective herbicide that can spare my 3wks old watermelons and deal with the weeds on the farm. I used paraforce on a section of the farm and it burnt the affected crops. I need help urgently cos the weeds are spreading.

Thank you all as I anticipate your favourable help and advice, I will surely pay heed to them.

Are you in the south west?
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by holushorlah(m): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2015
use glyphosate.... it works well. it is a selective herbicide.... it won't affect ur watermelon
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Soloxam(m): 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2015
Faber:

Why not combat ur weed manually? pls dont use glyphosate if u do say bye to ur watermelon. if u need to use herbicide use fucilage provided ur weeds are mainly grass and not broadleaves........

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by frankdon(m): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
Pls don't try any chemical that contains glyphosate on your farm, it's non seletive herbicide. paraforce can work if u can spray it without touching the crop.

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Faber(m): 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2015
I am grateful to all of you guys. Thanks holushorlah for introducing the glyphosate stuff. Soloxam and frankdon you are wonderful for your critique of glyphosate. I thank you all.

More advice are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Faber(m): 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2015
I want to know how reliable the fucilage is.To find labourers to weed the farm seams hard for me right now so I want to do it myself chemically@ Soloxam.

Oga Soloxam, I would be glad to discuss with you ad persona.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by agricentral(m): 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
Faber:
I want to know how reliable the fucilage is.To find labourers to weed the farm seams hard for me right now so I want to do it myself chemically@ Soloxam.

Oga Soloxam, I would be glad to discuss with you ad persona via WhatsApp on 08064955145.

I believe there r three ways you can solve this problem.

1. Buy small buckets in dozens or black nylons to cover the plants very early in the morning and get any glyphosate e.g force up 250 ml into 16 litres to pray across the covered area. It works by killing the weeds and since you covered your plants the glyphosate would spare them. After spraying you can remove the buckets and use them to cover other areas repetitively.

Warning : Don't do this on a sunny day
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Soloxam(m): 4:53pm On Nov 12, 2015
agricentral:

I believe there r three ways you can solve this problem.

1. Buy small buckets in dozens or black nylons to cover the plants very early in the morning and get any glyphosate e.g force up 250 ml into 16 litres to pray across the covered area. It works by killing the weeds and since you covered your plants the glyphosate would spare them. After spraying you can remove the buckets and use them to cover other areas repetitively.

Warning : Don't do this on a sunny day
PRETY IDEA BUT HE MUST NOT STACK THE CONTIANERS ON ONE ANOTHER WHILE REMOVING IT FROM THE PLANTS COS THERE ARE TENDENCY THAT THE CHEMICAL WILL SPLASH AT THE BACK OF THE CONTAINER......... AND THIS MTD IS BEST WHEN UR PLANTS HAVE NOT START CRAWLING.

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Soloxam(m): 4:58pm On Nov 12, 2015
Faber:

Oga Soloxam, I would be glad to discuss with you ad persona via WhatsApp on 08064955145.
I TOLD YOU IF YOUR WEEDS ARE GRASSES THEN FUCILAGE IS THE BEST SELECTIVE HERBICIDE WHICH KILLS GRASSES ONLY. IT DOSE NOT KILL BROAD LEAVES. WHATAPP ME VIA THE ETISALAT IN MY SIGNATURE.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by agricentral(m): 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
Soloxam:
PRETY IDEA BUT HE MUST NOT STACK THE CONTIANERS ON ONE ANOTHER WHILE REMOVING IT FROM THE PLANTS COS THERE ARE TENDENCY THAT THE CHEMICAL WILL SPLASH AT THE BACK OF THE CONTAINER......... AND THIS MTD IS BEST WHEN UR PLANTS HAVE NOT START CRAWLING.

Yes I can see his cucumber is not yet crawling.

2. Apart from fusilate that oga @soloxam suggested, he can as well use StarForce to control the weed.

3. If you r good in using sprayer very well, you can still use glyphosate but the way you do it is that you make sure that it does not touch your water melon. It takes time and only experts can do it.

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Itanola: 9:26am On Nov 13, 2015
holushorlah:
use glyphosate.... it works well. it is a selective herbicide.... it won't affect ur watermelon

Glyphosate is post emergence it will destroy all your crops, pls don't use it.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by saliubello(m): 10:24am On Nov 13, 2015
My suggestions
1. Look for labourers any way and urgently for manual weeding.
2. Try the method described by agricentral deligently else you regret this effort as if not done carefully you will destroy them yourself.
3. Try spot spraying the weeds with the lance of sprayer very close to the ground and very carefully. Then use hoe to do spot weeding.
4. Try again later.

Best of Luck!
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Alpha2k(m): 8:25pm On Nov 13, 2015
holushorlah:
DO NOT TRY THIS ADVISE ABOVE.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Alpha2k(m): 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
Weed manually or meet me to pick some materials as alternative.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Duke007(m): 5:08pm On Nov 16, 2015
Do not use any glysophate on your farm, it is a non selective herbicide and would kill your plant on contact. I will advice you do manual weeding. Next time, let your cultivated land fallow for 14 days after ridging, then you apply diuron , premenstrae or any pre-emergence herbicide before planting.

2 Likes

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Ephiezy4real(m): 5:37am On Nov 17, 2015
holushorlah:
Chisos! who is dis? Pls dont advice people on what you dont know!

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by saliubello(m): 7:10am On Nov 17, 2015
Duke007:
Next time, let your cultivated land fallow for 14 days after ridging, then you apply diuron , premenstrae or any pre-emergence herbicide before planting.
Please elaborate on this procedure and names of Agents used better.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by waka2: 8:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
Alpha2k:
Weed manually or meet me to pick some materials as alternative.

pls can you tell us about the material.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by wumy2020: 11:17pm On Nov 24, 2016
good day professionals in d house, i discovered that my watermelon leave started folding with stunted growth, what could av been d problem?
urgent plss...

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Bobbyg: 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2016
this is a fungus infection. u failed to apply fungicide.
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Seun(m): 7:15pm On May 15, 2017
Bobbyg:
this is a fungus infection. u failed to apply fungicide.
Can he still apply it?
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by jeffmyson(m): 9:12pm On May 15, 2017
Seun:
Can he still apply it?
That's not a fungal infection. The crop is affected by an invasion of aphids! He needs to spray insecticide more often and follow up with a fungicides!

Aphids are sapping the leaves of the plant, and stem and laying eggs under the leaves, hence the folding up of the leaves and the stunted growth!
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by FarmTech(m): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2017
I have been thinking. Cucumber roots usually come out to the soil surface between rows. Assuming u cover or shield the plant and apply glyphosphate, won't it be absorbed by the roots?
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2017
FarmTech:
I have been thinking. Cucumber roots usually come out to the soil surface between rows. Assuming u cover or shield the plant and apply glyphosphate, won't it be absorbed by the roots?

You are absolutely correct. Glyphosphate is systemic. It can easily be absorbed by plants and it goes into the cells of the plant. Every systemic herbicide takes time to work because it has to travel round the system of the plant first, thenafter you notice the harvoc. It is why you see the real harvoc after a week or more. Nearby plants that receive indirect application most likely cos of wind are casualties too. They drop dead. I mean dead. Again, it takes time for systemic herbicide to wash off the soil. Like 2 weeks.

On the other hand, contact herbicides affects only the parts of the plants they touch. This kind of herbicide this OP used is contact but I guess he allowed it touch his watermelon plants too. Since watermelon are fragile just slight application can destroy it. Contact herbicide will not really kill stubborn weed but many times will weaken them. The root might not be affected so, any slight source of water via springler, rain will make them recover.

Both systemic and contact herbicides have their unique purposes. I advise everyone to avoid using herbicide on vegetable farms. It is not good for our health. Let us always find better ways to deal with weed.

1 Like

Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by Johnborah295: 5:14pm On Jun 06, 2018
good evening great famer in the house please i need your help on how to control on my watermelon farm.
1-is there any post emergence herbicide for watermelon and how to use it
2-i can see some of my watermelon ball been split into two please what cause it
Re: Selective Herbicide For Watermelon. Help If Any by soil9: 8:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
Johnborah295:
good evening great famer in the house please i need your help on how to control on my watermelon farm.
1-is there any post emergence herbicide for watermelon and how to use it
2-i can see some of my watermelon ball been split into two please what cause it

Get StarForce, Gallant super or Fusilade Forte. It kills only grasses and has no effect on broadleaved weeds

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Starting A Livestock Business / Any Maize Or Soya Beans Buyer (minimum 30 Tonnes) On Nairaland? / Over 40 Agro Products You Can Export In Small Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.