Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT (39910 Views)

Photos Of Bukola Saraki At CCT Today / Supreme Court Rules: Saraki's Appeal Lacks Merit,Trial At CCT Continues / Alleged False Declaration Of Assets: Court Halts Saraki’s Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by centvin008(m): 11:06am On Nov 12, 2015
The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered stay of proceedings of the trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki before the Code of Conduct Tribunal on 13 counts of false assets declaration.

The order of Justice John Fabiyi-led five-man panel of the apex court followed a concession given by the Federal Government’s counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), for the proceedings of the tribunal to be halted if Saraki’s main appeal would be given an accelerated hearing.

The decision on Thursday came after Saraki’s lead counsel, Mr. Joseph Daudu (SAN), had argued his client’s motion for stay of the CCT’s proceedings, and while Jacobs was responding.

In a unanimous decision read by Justice Fabiyi, the apex court ordered the tribunal “to tarry awhile.”

He ordered Jacobs to file his respondents’ brief in response to Saraki’s appellant’s brief served on him in court on Thursday within seven days.

The Supreme Court also ordered Daudu to file further response to Jacobs’ brief, if he so desired ‎within seven days thereafter.

Justice Fabiyi said the date for the hearing of the appeal would be communicated to parties in due course.

With the Thursday’s order, the tribunal could no longer sit on the case which was already adjourned till November 19.

‎Saraki had appealed to the Supreme Court against the October 30, 2015 judgment of the Court of Appeal which affirmed the competence of the charges instituted against him and the jurisdiction of the CCT to try him.

Some lawyers, who appeared for Saraki at the tribunal on November 5, stormed out of the courtroom in protest against a ruling of the CCT, led by Danladi Umar, rejecting their request to adjourn the trial indefinitely because of the pending appeal before the Supreme Court.

The tribunal chairman had adjourned till November 19 to enable Saraki to engage new lawyers.

A two-to-one split decision of the Court of Appeal in Abuja had, on October 30, dismissed Saraki’s appeal against the competence of the tribunal and the charges against him comprising 13 counts of false declaration of assets while he was Kwara State Governor in 2003.

In his substantive appeal to the Supreme Court against the appeal court judgment, Saraki maintained that the panel of the CCT was not well constituted because it comprised two members instead of three provided for by law.

He also, among other grounds, argued that the charges against him were incompetent since they were filed in the absence of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

http://punchng.com/breaking-supreme-court-halts-sarakis-trial-at-cct/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 12, 2015
Okay, I will comment after later....

let me just dedicate this beautiful hard earned FTC to the newly appointed ministers.

I know where this thread is headed no need to cc or bcc lalasticala.

****added****

I am Back, now I don't think there is need for this chess, make Saraki go answer.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by ladyF(f): 11:08am On Nov 12, 2015
shocked Nigeria my country....

Same old story, I give up on the present generation of leaders abeg!!! Maybe when they are all dead, upcoming generations may be able to move the country forward. Until then..... kiss

This is solely the opinion of LadyF grin grin grin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by egift(m): 11:09am On Nov 12, 2015
Totally not cool. The Judiciary should not hamper the War on Corruption in any way.

Saraki knows if his case is tried, he will be found guilty. So from day one his is fighting very hard to stop any movement on this case.

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by benedictnsi(m): 11:10am On Nov 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 12, 2015

Damn!

I'm not even sure how to react.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by tayebest(m): 11:10am On Nov 12, 2015
saraki should be thanking his stars by now...

In other words: The judiciary should not hurt constitution, corrupt people should not be celebrated but be prosecuted!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by olaola003: 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
Money has exchanged hands

Unisex Toms Shoes for sale( wholesale and retail)
https://www.nairaland.com/2723370/100-pairs-toms-unisex-shoes
Football Jerseys available for sale also
 https://www.nairaland.com/2722585/2015-2016-jerseys-available-affordable

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Reekadict04: 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
Some Olodo think the case can no longer proceed. It was only halted (delayed for a while) till the needful is done by both Counsels.

FACT: Saraki’s Lawyers is only delaying his punishment. He cannot run away, He will get his Kirikiri very soon

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by iykedare(m): 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
Lolz Saraki giving Tinubu nightmares since 2015!!! I hope the opolo eyes does not die of heart attack on hearing this news!!

To the transgendered NgeneUKWU how market!!

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by malton: 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Sijo01(f): 11:11am On Nov 12, 2015
cheesy
Welcome to Nigeria. The land of possibilities. Saraki has done booohari's bidding by confirming all his ministers. Time to reward him for a job well done. cheesy

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Richie0974: 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
Why?? ?
Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by datbay(m): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
let's wait and see...... although its obvious,sarakis trial is an exercise in futility.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by mystockyear: 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
ok
Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by mystockyear: 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
Nigeria my country. Habaa

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by shadys(f): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
As usual

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by jhidey08(m): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
grin grin I knew it, u're only fooling urself if u think dis man ll b convicted. Dem Ilorin people are at work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by saintkel(m): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
I saw dis coming. Saraki might escape dis at d very end

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Tunami(m): 11:12am On Nov 12, 2015
paddy paddy politics

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
cheesy

Nigeria my country

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by kelvinatkins(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
is whaoooooo
Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
chukwudi44:
Lolz Saraki giving Tinubu nightmares since 2015!!! I hope the opolo eyes does not die of heart attack on hearing this news!!

To the transgendered NgeneUKWU how market!!

Does this call for celebration or.wailing?

When will corrupt politicians be thrown in jail in this country?

To make it clear I also wish to see Tinubu, Fashola, Amaechi,Gej, Obasanjo, Otedola, Dasuki, Stella Odua, Mbadunuju, Chris Ngige etc in jail and the chief thief Bankole

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by smsdigito: 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
ladyF:

Same old story, I give up on the present generation of leaders abeg!!! Maybe when they are all dead, upcoming generations may be able to move the country forward. Until then..... kiss
but ur part of this generation as well?
grin by the way, wats d meaning of that F in ur i.d? hope its not what am thinking? tongue

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
egift:
Totally not cool.

Ntoor!!!! You never see anything yet!! The next step would be the prosecution of the fraudulent Injustice Danladi Umar

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by donephi(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
This is not news

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by datbay(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
ladyF:

That's just it
Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by Kennydoc(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
Chukwudi44, come and have a good laugh at Omenka, midolian, egift, Beremx, NgeneUkwenu etc.

I would only support Saraki's prosecution when I know that all the other accused politicians be it Amaechi, Fashola, Atiku, Obasanjo, Jonathan, TA Orji, Akpabio, Aregbesola etc will all go down. If anybody can assure me of that, then I will personally champion Saraki's prosecution. Until then, say no to witch hunting.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Halts Saraki’s Trial At CCT by vickylinco(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2015
I know it. corruption will always fight back. I pray God gives Buhari the power to succeed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Won An Election Before Without Peter Obi - Alex Otti / Aisha Yesufu: I Witnessed Same-Sex Marriage In Nigeria In The 80s / Rotimi Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt - Maiduguri Rail Line (Photos & Video).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.