Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel (25025 Views)

Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd / Bella The Boerboel Dropped Her First Litter Yesterday / Life & Time Of Maximus The Boerboel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 1:17pm On Nov 23, 2016
Vicktomaniaa:
My dog was in heat October main days should be between 21st to 24th now it's November 22 still I dont think there's any change in her her name is Pedro the guyz name is jack...... On 21st of Nov I introduced major (American Eskimo breed) it's juts 2 to 3 weeks old I'm scared of mixing her with them what can I do pls
Hello vicktomaniaa, I do not understand your question.
Do PM me please.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 1:19pm On Nov 23, 2016
Hello people! Guess who has four feet and turned one year older last week? Yup, you guessed it, Mo!

Mo, full name "Moet" was born on the 17th of November, 2014. Last week thursday was her birthday but I was extremely busy all through, hence the late update.
Happy belated Birthday Aunty Mo, she's officially two years old!

Here is a throwback picture of Mo, she was about three months old at the time

PS: Please click the link below to read about Mo's Biography
http://Wikipedia.org/Moettheboerboel

PPS: So I lied, the above link was obviously made up. Do not bother clicking the link mbok, you'll get a "404 error". Don't waste your time, before some people will just swear for me laidat.

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by BjaySexy(m): 4:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
Haha! you got me. Happy belated birthday to Sister Mo! more babies to your belly.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 9:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
Lmao! thank you BjaySexy.
God bless
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by ajokebelle(f): 1:36pm On Nov 24, 2016
Wow, this is just AMAZING........
I'm not really a fan of dogs, i dont know what made me stroll to this section for the first time and read this wonderful piece
this just changed my mind on dogs and im promising myself, i will get one as soon as im settled, but i will go for a male, guess it will be less stressful.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 12:38pm On Nov 26, 2016
ajokebelle thank you! I am glad you liked it even though I am a terrible writer.
Yes, you should get a dog when you are settled. Every home needs a dog

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Punstar: 10:56am On Dec 03, 2016
sphinx92, Pls what do you feed your puppies?

My pup is not eating, Pls help
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 1:42pm On Dec 03, 2016
Hello Punstar, how Old is your pup?
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Timi141: 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2016
Mine too almost three months and they are losing weight fast
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Punstar: 4:09pm On Dec 03, 2016
sphinx92:
Hello Punstar, how Old is your pup?
6wks..... She doesn't seem to like any I give her.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 4:54pm On Dec 03, 2016
Timi141:
Mine too almost three months and they are losing weight fast
Punstar:
sphinx92, Pls what do you feed your puppies?
My pup is not eating, Pls help

It all comes down to the breed really. I had one GSD in the past that was a bit choosy when it comes to food. He just would not eat everything you throw at him, he was very selective, but what always got his attention is dry food mixed with beef, he can not say no to that.

Mo on the other hand is a Boerboel, we all know they are massive eaters. I can not recall anytime I ever had issues with her not eating. If anything I wished her appetite was a bit less. She would finish eating her food, then eat the other dogs food.
There's no food you throw at her that she would not devour, she's a Savage!
Except one time she was Ill and also couple of days after she littered. Not like she didn't eat per say, her appetite just decreased.

It might just be a case of a picky eater, maybe your pup is bored of the same daily feeding routine. Spice her food up every now and then, switch things up a bit, try other brands of food different from the one you currently feed her, that ought to do the trick.

As long as she's still her usual vibrant self and acting normal, then there's really nothing to worry about.
Except she goes without eating anything for days and her behaviour seems different than normal, then you should be worried.

It's best you contact a Veterinarian as he's in the best position to give diagnosis and advice on what to do.
Best regards.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 03, 2016
sphinx92:
okikiosibodu, We settled for "German shepherd dog X Labrador retriever", but that is just based on assumption.
Thank you, pictures do come in handy. Call me weird but sometimes I view all their pictures just for the fun of it.
I wouldn't advice you to get rotties or Boerboel if you are a first time dog owner. They are powerful breeds and can be quite a handful, they require experienced hands.
German Shepherd dogs are best for first time dog owners, they are just simply amazing. I adore GSD's! I've always wanted one. Lord knows someday I'll steal blasiangurl85's shadow and younghartz's Nicky. grin
If you are experienced do proceed to get a boerboel, you'll definitely love 'em!
I think all Pure bred Rottweilers have the chest marking? I've never owned Rotties but a friend has one and I must say his is just great.
In my opinion, Rotties and Boerboels are not so different, they are like distant cousins.
If you need more information about Rottweilers, Knyte is your go to guy. His love for the breed is unmatched.

Thanks Boss and good evening. Erm for a first timer too, I really love pictures of lhasa apsos and cane corsos, cane corsos for guard dogs and lhasas for pets, though am first timer. Which of the two do i go for? Or is german shepherd d number 1 for first timers? Thanks.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 12:09am On Dec 04, 2016
Hello Vessi. I have never owned a Cane Corso or Lhasa Apso but they are both great dogs.

Cane Corsos are large dogs, hence are best for security purpose and companionship.
Lhasa are lap dogs, perfect for companionship, they are not guard dogs. I once met a Lhasa that was being all gangster and tried to attack me, it was the most adorable thing I ever saw. Let's be honest no matter how aggressive a Lhasa gets, no one will take them serious. They are just cute as a button.

So it all depends on your personal preference. If you want a guard dog, go for a Cane Corso. If you want a dog solely for companionship, then Lhasa Apso is perfect for you.

GSDs are perfect for first timers, but that does not necessarily mean all first time dog owners should begin with one. I started with a Native dog (Ekuke as my Igbo brothers would call it)
The whole point is just so you'd gain first hand experience, you could always make researches online about a particular breed, but still there are a whole lot you'll learn from actually living with a dog that can not be taught online or anywhere else, nothing beats first hand experience.
As the dog grows with you, so will your understanding of them and their world, just as I have learnt from Mo.
Hopefully you find my rants useful.
Cheers.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 04, 2016
sphinx92:
Hello Vessi. I have never owned a Cane Corso or Lhasa Apso but they are both great dogs.

Cane Corsos are large dogs, hence are best for security purpose and companionship.
Lhasa are lap dogs, perfect for companionship, they are not guard dogs. I once met a Lhasa that was being all gangster and tried to attack me, it was the most adorable thing I ever saw. Let's be honest no matter how aggressive a Lhasa gets, no one will take them serious. They are just cute as a button.

So it all depends on your personal preference. If you want a guard dog, go for a Cane Corso. If you want a dog solely for companionship, then Lhasa Apso is perfect for you.

GSDs are perfect for first timers, but that does not necessarily mean all first time dog owners should begin with one. I started with a Native dog (Ekuke as my Igbo brothers would call it)
The whole point is just so you'd gain first hand experience, you could always make researches online about a particular breed, but still there are a whole lot you'll learn from actually living with a dog that can not be taught online or anywhere else, nothing beats first hand experience.
As the dog grows with you, so will your understanding of them and their world, just as I have learnt from Mo.
Cheers.

Thank you very much. I have had two time experience with Ekukes, we bought each of them when they were weeks old and I personally raised them; caged them, fed them, bathed them, I only taught foreign breeds were different?

The place I live lacks adequate security so Cane corso would have been ideal but I fear for my pocket, they may not feed on human food as my Ekukes, if they eventually eat dog foods only my pocket will drain cause cane corsos are large breeds that will require big appetite of dog foods I won't be able to purchase much costantly, so I will end up getting a Lhasa, their tiny belly is ideal enough for me, economically wise it will be easier to feed them even if they eat only dog food, they can't consume much cause of their size, plus lhasas as small as they are, they are aggressive to strangers, have really heard they bark and all that, well, if the robber doesn't sight the small boy, he might probably escape mistakening the barks to that of a huge dog; I just pray everything will work out.

#OnMyWayToGettingALhasa. Thank you too much for your kind words of advice.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 12:45am On Dec 04, 2016
Lmao! Vessi as in ehn! Cane Corsos are massive eaters, I know how hard it can be to keep up with feeding a large breed dog, I have been there.
I am glad I could be of help. Lhasa Apso may not be the best choice for a guard dog, but they are great companions guaranteed to keep you happy. Congratulations on owing one.
Best Regards.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Nobody: 1:06am On Dec 04, 2016
sphinx92:
Lmao! Vessi as in ehn! Cane Corsos are massive eaters, I know how hard it can be to keep up with feeding a large breed dog, I have been there.
I am glad I could be of help. Lhasa Apso may not be the best choice for a guard dog, but they are great companions guaranteed to keep you happy. Congratulations on owing one.
Best Regards.
Thank you very much sir

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by okikiosibodu(m): 4:04pm On Dec 04, 2016
sphinx92:

Cheers.
I have been of sub for some weeks now and I am so glad to come across this reply. It has gone a long way in doing justice to a constant war I fight within myself: the way of breed of choice- picking a Boerboel, Rottweiler , and GSD. All the breeds have their reasons for my interest in them but just then when I settle for a breed in my mind ('cause I will love to start off with just one), I end up loveing they others again n the war continues. I love GSD for it's intelligent, and wolf-like physique and even beautiful coat, I love Rottweiler for his uniform and shinny coat, and love Boerboel it's intimidating looks. I honestly wo mind mind an hybrdi with the coats o a ro and physique of. German Shepherd Dog.
For this lovely write-up, what I learnt is that your first dog is not all about breeding a mega dog with intimidating features, but learning the rudiments and essential things about dogs dogs will last you for years to come. Start with an intelligent dog that will connect to you emotionally and psychologically. Great breeder and dog experts usually recommend GSDs for first timers be I never seem to understand the reason behind that...I think I am beginning to understand now.
Please help me do justice to one more thing : what gender do you consider to be the better option, option, a first timer?
Team GSD!
I loved way you analysed the whole thing will love to pay you a visit some day.
Before I forget, congratulations to you on your litters... Oluwa a da won si o grin
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 2:14am On Dec 05, 2016
Okikiosibodu Well said! I could not have said it better. I would have given you the hand clapping emoji, but sadly Nairaland does not have that.

Regarding the Gender, that really should be the least of your worries. I mean both somewhat have their little advantages and disadvantages, but still it really is not in anyway important.
One should only be concerned about Gender when you intend on keeping more than one dog. You know how inevitable fights are when you keep two female dogs as opposed to keeping two males or dogs of opposite sex.

Also, Gender comes into play if you intend on being a breeder or have puppies in the future.
People say female dogs require a lot of extra effort regarding their upkeep, but to me it's pretty much the same. If anything males require more effort because they are larger than their female counterparts, and we all know bigger equals more food.

I have also read articles of people who say Male Dogs are more loyal and obedient to their Woman human owners than to their Man owners and vice versa. I really am not in support of this train of thought as I have lived with both gender of dogs and they were both loyal and obedient to a Fault. I am not completely ruling out the possibility of this happening but I just have not witnessed it is all.

Regardless of the Gender you get, either Male or female, at the end of the day, they both bring the same amount of joy and happiness into our lives.

Ese Gan, Olorun ma se fun yin na
God bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by okikiosibodu(m): 6:21am On Dec 05, 2016
OMG! I enjoy withdrawing from your reservoir o canine knowledge (no mind my Oliver-Twist-sity. I never knew female dogs fight that much, I thought if they are raised tgt from puppy, they will get along well as adults,, though I know bringing two adults of different types of same gender together could be violent in nature as you have to settle fights every now and then- e.g an adult canine (say GSD) and an adult moloser (say Rott). When raising same gender dogs together as puupies, I know some of this stuffs could be prevented: One should ensure they don't eat or drink from same bowl, noone should bully the other, one should NEVER eat the other's food, they don't share same cage (though they might share same demarcation, they both get proportionate level of affection, etc).
I learnt from dog handlers particularly in K-9 police that males dogs are used more for security than females 'cause males have more instinct to guard their territory and will chase after a suspect than stay with an injured officer (which is quite efficient) , unlike females that have more instinct to guard the injured officer than chase the fleeing suspect, thus ensuring his escape.... Is this a correct analysis?
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by sphinx92(m): 8:04am On Dec 05, 2016
okikiosibodu Yes of course, it can be prevented to an extent. Raising them together from puppy hood also reduces the possibility of this happening.

Take Mo and Coco as an example. Both raised together since when Mo was a pup. They get along quite well even till Adulthood. But every now and then they are bound to challenge their selves as a result of dominance. This is totally my fault as there are preventive measures like you mentioned that I would have taken earlier on but I was somewhat ignorant. One cannot always be on the look out for things like these considering the fact that I find myself constantly being away from home especially during the most crucial times of their lives, but still it is 100% my fault.

I am not knowledgeable about the "guarding of Officers" and "chasing of suspects" as I have not had the opportunity to be involved with the Police dog handlers or their canines. But what I do know is there are "guard dogs" and there are "attack dogs". One should not be confused for the other.
Male dogs are bigger, defensive and more aggressive than their female counterparts. This is why they are the people's choice and used often.
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by okikiosibodu(m): 3:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
sphinx92
Excellent information you've got there? I hope I won't be ruining the terrific thread with my next question.... you could reply the comment and mention me on another thread if need be... what is the difference between attack dogs and watch dogs?
Do watch dogs get their instincts naturally or they have to be trained for it?
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by knyte(m): 2:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
sphinx92:
okikiosibodu, We settled for "German shepherd dog X Labrador retriever", but that is just based on assumption.
Thank you, pictures do come in handy. Call me weird but sometimes I view all their pictures just for the fun of it.
I wouldn't advice you to get rotties or Boerboel if you are a first time dog owner. They are powerful breeds and can be quite a handful, they require experienced hands.
German Shepherd dogs are best for first time dog owners, they are just simply amazing. I adore GSD's! I've always wanted one. Lord knows someday I'll steal blasiangurl85's shadow and younghartz's Nicky. grin
If you are experienced do proceed to get a boerboel, you'll definitely love 'em!
I think all Pure bred Rottweilers have the chest marking? I've never owned Rotties but a friend has one and I must say his is just great.
In my opinion, Rotties and Boerboels are not so different, they are like distant cousins.
If you need more information about Rottweilers, Knyte is your go to guy. His love for the breed is unmatched.
Cant believe am just seeing this since april,thanks a lot for the complement

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by okikiosibodu(m): 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2016
sphinx92:
I feel some sort of ecstasy reading this lines ones again.
For the record, I have once connected with Knyte #NoHomoThough, and I can attest his unrivalled passion for those lovely and gallant Knights (HOK)- I met him on some group chats during my quest for canine knowledge, just that I am yet to see him physically.
Will sure will require his canine expertise someday, especially in Rottie matters.
HOK all the way, Long live HOK!!!
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by knyte(m): 7:10am On Dec 13, 2016
okikiosibodu:

I feel some sort of ecstasy reading this lines ones again.
For the record, I have once connected with Knyte #NoHomoThough, and I can attest his unrivalled passion for those lovely and gallant Knights (HOK)- I met him on some group chats during my quest for canine knowledge, just that I am yet to see him physically.
Will sure will require his canine expertise someday, especially in Rottie matters.
HOK all the way, Long live HOK!!!

Okikiosibodu thanks so much bro for the kind words for outlr brand ..we hope you visit HOK one day

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Babysho(m): 11:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
sphinx92:
Mo and my amazingly annoying sister

Why don't you keep this memory in a photograph. It's worth a billion diamonds.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Babysho(m): 11:48pm On Dec 13, 2016
sphinx92:
This is one of my favourite picture for sure. Coco and Mo "before meets after"

This is beautiful. With the right camera this could be something....

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by OLAFIMIX(f): 10:42pm On Jan 05, 2017
Nice diary....... Drop ur house address make I tief one joo undecided tongue
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by rumenase(m): 10:43am On May 26, 2017
very nice..... this diary is second to none... better than all
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Rapahel1116: 10:56am On May 27, 2017
I swear my Caucasian de do dis tin....ede pain me die eh.....him go just drink water put him leg inside BT dat was wen he was like 3mnths now he is 5mnthsnd1week
sphinx92:
Mo developed a very strange habit, it started when she turned 4 months old. We call it "Her ritual".
She drinks from a bucket, then puts her two fore legs in it.
Anyone else experienced this or my dog is just specially weird?
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by jayned: 9:28am On Oct 30, 2017
This is a very interesting read! Nice Job. I also keep a diary for my caucasian's but I really enjoyed reading yours because of the humour u add. Your grammar is also on point so I don't get derailed trying to pick out mistakes and all.

I need an update please.

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by wizi44(m): 10:24pm On Nov 10, 2017
HAS MO DIED, THIS ONE SHE IS NOT GIVING BIRTH AGAIN BECAUSE I WANT TO BUY
Re: Diary Of Mo: The Boerboel by Teemothymass(m): 1:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
How is Moet aka Mo the huge female boerboel doing now. We have not heard any latest news from her

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Diary Of Maya, My Sweet Caucasian Shepherd / Beloved Chimpanzee Laid To Rest In Casket At Uganda Wildlife Conservation Centre / Sussie: My Wonderful Chameleon Pet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.