Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister (38308 Views)

Nigeria Extends Mtn's $5.2bn Fine Payment / ..still On MTN $5.2bn Fine / MTN Nigeria To Pay $5.2bn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Adesiji77: 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2015
"Tactical" easing? Watching in 3D... cool

Nigeria does not want MTN to quit the country because of a $5.2 billion fine imposed last month, its new communications minister said, suggesting the African mobile phone giant may have found a sympathetic ear in its bid to reduce the penalty.

The deadline for paying falls on Monday with little clarity as to whether the South Africa-listed company can, or will, pay the fine imposed by the Nigerian Communications Commission for failing to cut off 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards.

“A judgment has been given, as it were, and the period for enforcement has not yet passed,” Adebayo Shittu, who was sworn in as communications minister this week, told Reuters in an interview.

The fine – if fully enforced – amounts to more than the past two years of profit for MTN in its biggest market, but Shittu said it should not jeopardise the company’s future in Africa’s most populous nation and largest economy.

“Nobody wants MTN to die. Nobody wants MTN to shut down,” he said.

The fine is based on $1,000 per outstanding unregistered SIM card, as stipulated by Nigerian telecommunications laws, although most analysts expect some sort of a reduction.

Nigeria accounts for 37 percent of revenues for MTN, which operates in more than 20 countries in Africa and the Middle East. Since the announcement of the fine, its shares have lost nearly 25 percent of their value.

The company has sent top executives to Abuja to try to negotiate a way out, and Shittu stressed the ball remained in MTN’s court. When asked to comment on the progress of the talks, he said there was “nothing before me”.

“If any new thing would happen, there must be initiative from concerned quarters,” he said. “It is up to MTN.”

The fine has the potential to escalate into a trade or diplomatic spat with South Africa, the continent’s other pre-eminent economic heavyweight, although Pretoria has so far played down the risk of wider fallout.

When asked about the consequences of non-payment, Shittu said the law would be followed. He did not give details but insisted: “We don’t want them to leave.”

Nigeria has been pushing telecom operators to verify the identity of subscribers due to concerns that unregistered SIM cards are being used for criminal activity or even by Boko Haram militants waging an Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

Speaking to Reuters about his plans for the sector, Shittu said he thought telecoms were key to helping President Muhammadu Buhari’s goal of diversifying the economy away from oil.

Africa’s biggest crude producer has been hammered by the drop in global crude prices and growth in gross domestic product more than halved in the second quarter compared with the same period in 2014.

Shittu said telecoms provided a quicker avenue for new growth than agriculture, another sector the government wants to expand.
http://businessdayonline.com/2015/11/nigeria-does-not-want-mtn-to-die-from-5-2bn-fine/ lalasticlala

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 13, 2015
It is a pity but we are watching

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by AngryNigerian(m): 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2015
They must pay...

Will they reimburse us for all fictitious charges amounting to about #2trillion

61 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 13, 2015
MTN will not die. cheesy
After all we all enjoyed their service at some point.

I stand with them during their trying times.
I'm a friend in need and a friend indeed.
I even use their Blackberry service to blog and it's obvious on my signature.

And when the storm is over, they should make me a brand ambassador.

Yello! grin
#ItsBrandnew

Click like if you believe.
Share if you support me.

Show your boy some love Nairaland. wink

You may visit GidiLink blog here

Thanks for the love guys. Keep it coming. wink

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by jomoh: 10:07pm On Nov 13, 2015
I doubt the ability of this man to perform up to expectation in that ministry.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by chymystique(f): 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2015
I really dont know why they are using MTN as a scapegoat cause we all know other telecom giants in Nigeria are guilty of this same offence. Wareva though

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by lasisi69(f): 10:16pm On Nov 13, 2015
End time network

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by damton(m): 10:16pm On Nov 13, 2015
I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THIS AMOUNT IS EXTREMELY ENORMOUS FOR THE FINE.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Jusmudi(m): 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2015
MTN plz go nd pay, my 100naira card u collect 4 learning English wen I nr register Dey pain me. My God Dey fight 4 me

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by 69MissedCalls(m): 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2015
hey! that's a lie. I personally want to attend MTN's funeral tongue

53 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2015
Who are the Nigerians who don't want them to pay?

Im not one of them biko.

They can afford it so they should pay it.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
make de die wella before dey will drain my wallet. glo rocks.. imagine glo introduced 200% bonus of every recharge,they came up with same Buh when they give yu the bonus. I min=#70. imagine. Buh glo bonus takes time to finish.. Mtn must die cos they are good for nothing.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Demmocrats(m): 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
Nigeria does not want MTN to quit the country because of a $5.2 billion fine imposed last month, its new communications minister said, suggesting the African mobile phone giant may have found a sympathetic ear in its bid to reduce the penalty.

They knew about the fine and still disobeyed thinking that it was still transformation administration. MTN needs to pay the fine, its like someone that knew if he or she don't read for exam will be failed by the professor and still expect the professor to pass him/her.

MTN has made billions from poor Nigerians when hey sold there SIM cards for 45,000 naira the first period they came to Nigeria, Sim card that doesn't worth 50 naira as cost price.

I trust my Sai Buhari, the fine won't be reduced.

http://twitter.com/lingeriecity

Speaking to Reuters about his plans for the sector, Shittu said he thought telecoms were key to helping President Muhammadu Buhari’s goal of diversifying the economy away from oil.

This Shittu won't last in that position, the way he sounds shows he has taken bribe.

Africa’s biggest crude producer has been hammered by the drop in global crude prices and growth in gross domestic product more than halved in the second quarter compared with the same period in 2014.

Shittu said telecoms provided a quicker avenue for new growth than agriculture, another sector the government wants to expand.

He doesn't have facts, how can a normal reasoning person compare Agriculture with telecom. The Biggest Company in the world is an Agricultral company based in China, Forbes can Confirm that.

http://twitter.com/lingeriecity

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by GudluckIBB(m): 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
The next port of call will be DSTV
Shittu go show them pepper!

47 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2015
Yes! We only wish for them to evaporate!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by manny4life(m): 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2015
Again, the fine is too heavy-handed, in the real world, there is a reduction and full penalty comes after several penalties of noncompliance. MTN deserves to be fined but NOT to the tune of $5.2 billion, that's just excessive.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by yomi007k(m): 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2015
MTN shud pay that fine.

Unregistered lines are used to commit crimes not to mention the level of disrespect they have for this nation.

Let dem crumble, other networks will take dir place.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by slimpoppa(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
Lets see
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
lasisi69:
End time network

receive sense jwoh. everything end time.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by 360ng: 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
i feel pity for mtn sha..
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by kennyman2000(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Generalkorex(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by steffans(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
We have heard..
Mtn pay up joor..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by dkronicle(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2015
Gggkjkj
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2015
undecided
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Adesiji77: 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2015
GudluckIBB:
The next port of call will be DSTV
Shittu go show them pepper!

I doubt...he "seems" to be showing some sympathy for MTN already. Let us wait and see.

#fingerscrossed
Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by ZYZZA: 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2015
if there are willing to stop illegal deduction and apologize for all irrelevant message then we would want them to stay

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by 360ng: 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2015
lasisi69:
End time network

you need to visit the nearest clinic for medical help.Thank You

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 13, 2015
This is a heartless and inhumane fine that will affect MTN. Nigerians need MTN more than it needs Nigerians as it can still make profits from 19 other countries, tho not as much.

ikechukwu354:
I know this has no business with this thread but its important thank you
Its no longer news hearing the ongoing protests in various part of the SE by the IPOB youths. In as much as I'm of the SE extraction, I want my fellow South Easterners to be rational and objective in their thinking. Biafra shouldn't be our priority now.
The reasons why I'm of the opinion that Biafra shouldn't be our priority are:
1. Most powerful Igbos leaders are against it: Those of us with strong memories would agree with me that Nnamdi Kanu isn't the first person to follow this path.
Years ago during Obasanjo's administration, Mr Ralph Uwazurike the leader of MASSOB attempted something similar. What was the result...he spent years locked up in an underground cell, his members were jailed many are still in jail as we speak, some even lost their precious lives.
The then igbo leaders who even had the senate leadership then did nothing, why cos they weren't ready to relinquish their positions and Federal Government appointments for Uwazurike's movement.
If nothing was done by the SE leaders then, what makes the youths so certain that they'll lift a finger towards their course now considering the fact that most of our leaders are self centered?
2. Thousands and even millions of South Easterners are likely going to be plunged into the job market upon declaration of Biafra: Its most likely that if the biafran dream is actualized today, Igbos working in various Nigerian government parastatals across the federation would automatically loose their job. Starting from Igbos in the military (Army, Airforce and Navy), to Civil Service, to the Nigerian Police Force, NSCDC, Customs, Immigration, FRSC, EFCC, ICPC, The Ministry, Ministers and Senators from the biafran territory will no longer be recognized in the Nigerian Senate, ...etc.
Can we cope with that, noting that the current economy of some SE states isn't something to be proud about, and we can't even secure employment for those living there how much more when you have a mass exodus of people relocating home. How will they survive?
Germany requested for thousands of Syrian refugees because they have a very good economy to settle them in months.
We should understand that if Biafra is declared, a similar mass exodus would be experienced.
Question is do we have a plan to absorb the thousands who probably would be relieved of their duties by the Nigerian Federal Government into the biafran economy and create such parastatals for them with a short period of time so they can work and take care of their families?
These are questions we need to ask ourselves.
3. The SE is improvised: We deserve a good leadership in the SE not biafra: Currently, we lack good roads, we lack constant electricity, we lack well equipped government primary and secondary schools, we lack portable drinking water...etc. Why should secession be our priority?
Few months ago, Afikpo youths comprising of Amasiri, Edda, Uwanna...etc blocked the roads to protest 2years of blackout in Afikpo. (The thread was even on Nairaland) I witnessed that protest live cos I was in Amasiri (Ebotrans park) en route Abakaliki and was delayed by the protesters for over an hour because the whole roads leading to Abakaliki were all blocked.
If Afikpo which is agurably the second largest town with the best economy in Ebonyi state after Abakaliki can be in darkness for 2years, then I think its time for us to go back to the drawing board. Cos we can't expect the biafra economy to survive in darkness.
We should also be bothered about the number of our educated minds finding their way to other geopolitical zones outside the SE in search of greener pastures. That's another indication to tell us that our economy needs serious rehabilitation.
If we're so bent on making biafra a reality then we should beginning to hold our leaders accountable to every promise they made to us during the past elections
Great nations are ruled by great minds not thieves, crooks and heartless looters camouflaging themselves as leaders to enrich their 20th generation.
It is time for the Igbo yout
Anyi Ga-eme Mbaa Ka Ódi Ukwuu Ma Öbúrú Na Agbúrú Nille Ga Etikota Aka Rúó Órú Ma Gharakwa Ì Na-ata Ndi Ózó Uta Mgbe Ihe Mgberede Dakwasiri Anyi.E Kwenyerem Nigïria Ga Adikwa Ukwúú ÖZÖ.

FREEDOM4BIAFRA:

Most powerful Igbos leaders are against it:
Who are the most powerful leaders? Listen brother, there is something called greed, and it eats beyond tribe or ethnicity. At this moment, Igbos are not concerned on the thoughts of the so called powerful leaders, we only care about the trusted leaders. Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is a trusted leader not Ralph uwazurike. Uwazurike sold us for promises, Rochas sold us for promises, ndi Ohaneze sold us for goats and broilers.

As I stated earlier, Greed is addictive, many of these so called leaders cannot support Biafra, this is because of their mischievous gains from Nigeria, crumbs, as long as they can build mansions, they do not care about their neighbors who cannot afford a decent meal. NdIgbo have no Nigerian leaders, only sellouts.

Thousands and even millions of South Easterners are likely going to be plunged into the job market upon declaration of Biafra:
This is a very false claim, at the moment, millions of Biafrans are aready unemployed in this evil contraption. A place where a biafran who dos better than others cannot even gain university admission because his surname does not permit him to get unmerited abdul-muhammad marks.

What is your view of Biafra? A place without orderliness? No civil service? No airforce? No Police? No army? No Ministries and ministers? No investors? No customs and immigrations officers? That point is without form brother. At our sovereignty, we will have the need for so much hands in our quest for nation building. Our own telecos will recruit, embassies will recruit, investors will recruit. All the tax mismanaged by the Nigerian government will be utilized properly by the Biafran Govt.

Your third point is that the south east is impoverished: why so? We have continued to vote in leaders who get sidelined and most times corrupted by the people who hold the centre. Even Rochas who was the messiah, turned out to be the devil in blue clothing.
Listen brother, We have no reasonable federal presence in the south east, what is the hope of getting any in the next 100 years? Why are we impoverished?
Nigeria is structured on a way that no leader from the south can have his way without first seeking permission from the north, the northerners alone in the Senate take up as much as half the size, how then can the south win any vote? This is why we remain impoverished! This has to stop.

Do you know that Prof. barth nnaji built a power plant in abia state, which is capable of generating up to 1080MW? Can this not be replicated around biafraland for power generation? Why was the gas supply cut off?

With the abundance of gas in biafraland, we can power our plants for constant electricity, 24/7. This will attract investors faster than you can think of. They will choose to manufacture in Biafra and export to Nigeria and other African countries, Employment opportunities will abound.

We also have the IBETO GIANT, AND OUK WHO WILL BRING BACK HIS INVESTMENTS WITHOUT FEAR OF THE NORTHERN VICTIMIZATION

Inability to stand Independently:
There is only one reason why Nigeria has been trying to make the south-east unable to stand, it is because we are potential giants. People love those that they can control.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister by freemanbubble: 10:22pm On Nov 13, 2015
yes empty hen must pay the fine

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Online Forex Trading Is A Fraud. My Findings / Ifeanyi Ubah Buys A Car For Adichie Izuchukwu, His Aide (Photos) / Which Bank Mobile App Has The Best User Interface In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.