Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,675 members, 7,823,909 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors (11471 Views)

Aisha Buhari Unveils LNG-ABUJA11 Vessel In South Korea(pics) / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term / Sagamite's Analysis Of State Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by debosky(m): 9:21am On May 19, 2009
With the current craze to build airports by State governments (Kwara, Ogun, Akwa Ibom amongst others) this article will serve as a timely warning. If a near-developed country like South Korea can make these mistakes, we are clearly not immune.

[size=15pt]South Korea's abandoned airports[/size]

Yangyang International is an airport looking for a reason to exist. Built on South Korea's east coast just seven years ago, you won't find any delays or long queues here. In fact, you won't find any passengers at all.

The initial vision could not have been more different.
Up to three million people a year were meant to throng the gleaming floors of the departure and arrival halls, built at a cost of almost $400m (£260m).
But last year an average of just[b] 26 passengers a day[/b] came through the doors, vastly outnumbered by the 146 airport staff on hand to serve them.
In November the last commercial flight took off, and the terminal became what the Korean national press has dubbed a "ghost airport", an impressive monument to overestimated demand.

At the other end of the country from Yangyang, way down in the south-west, is the even newer Muan International Airport. It opened less than two years ago, and although a handful of flights do at least land there, the terminal is struggling.

Built amidst the surrounding onion fields, it looks an unlikely spot for a thriving airport, and the scene inside is, once again, one of empty check-in desks and empty spaces.

Figures for last year show passenger levels at less than 3% of capacity.

"It might be better if it was used a bit more," said one passenger I spoke to, part of a group of Korean tourists preparing to catch one of only two flights leaving that day.

"But having said that," she added, "it is nice to come to an airport that isn't busy for a change."

But it is not an isolated example.

In fact, if there was to be an award for the world's quietest international airports, South Korea would surely be one of the favourites.

Local airports have been built by "political rather than market logic", according to one newspaper.

The Korean Citizens' Action Network, an organisation that monitors government spending, claims that hundreds of millions of dollars have been wasted on terminals and runways that simply are not needed.

"Politicians, in order to gain votes, promise their constituents an airport," said spokesman Choi In-wook.

"Rather than checking the need thoroughly, the feasibility studies can be distorted to support the projects, and as a result there is an oversupply of airports in this country."

Could not the case be made, though, that some of today's under-used airports may turn out to have a long-term future?

"Maybe," he said. "If they honestly forecast that there would be large, initial losses for a long-term strategic benefit, then fair enough. But from the beginning the feasibility reports are inaccurate, so no one knows the true prospects."

Both the government and the Korea Airports Corporation, the body that manages the regional airports, refused the BBC's request for an interview.
There are those, like the staff at Yangyang airport, who do indeed believe that they may still find a profitable future for their terminal. But it is the views of the passengers that really matter - and for now, they are voting with their feet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8055957.stm
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by blacksta(m): 9:30am On May 19, 2009
This is also to warning to fashola who is building everything left , right and centre.  . The man needs to do general assesment -

That airport was built by another passion filled politican  - $400 Mil White Elephant  - imagine what impact that would have had if he built  schools, hosiptal  and other people friendly facilities

One big example in Nigeria is tinapa - billions of naira down the drain when people are hungry.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by MrCrackles(m): 9:40am On May 19, 2009
The need for facilities/social amenities/infrastructure has to be imperative before implementation!

South Korea obviously were looking at other developed countries without assessing it's own needs and relevance!

I see Nigeria and in particular some states going down in this direction!

Misplaced priorities here and there

"We build, destroy, rebuild, re-destroy".,, ,, ,, Brashy! grin
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Nobody: 10:15am On May 19, 2009
It is hypocritical to compare the Korean politicians and their environment to that of Nigeria. Korea is already developed with almost all the necessary infrastructures in place.

It is true that most of those white elephant projects put up by the korean leaders are politically motivated. Good thing is that they dont stop at promising such projects in their campaigns but actually go ahead to build and complete it with little no corruption reported.

In nigeria, the reverse is the case. They make noise about it for years, lay some shaky foundations and loot the rest of the money.
Have any of those governors proposing such big projects started anything on the airports?
Korea has an estimated 78 usable airfields, 35 with permanent paved runways, and 19 heliports (2003 estimate).
Now, how many does Nigeria have?

blacksta:

This is also to warning to fashola who is building everything left , right and centre.  . The man needs to do general assesment -

That airport was built by another passion filled politican  - $400 Mil White Elephant  - imagine what impact that would have had if he built  schools, hosiptal  and other people friendly facilities

One big example in Nigeria is tinapa - billions of naira down the drain when people are hungry.

I want to believe that you are kidding for saying that building more airports in nigeria (lagos included) is a waste.
As regards to TINAPA, has it been completed as was earlier proposed on papers?
Only a naive being would think that TINAPA would not be maximized if there was anything like continuity and zero tolerance for corruption in nigeria.

Right here, almost every major city has a trade zone and an airport and its working for them perfectly.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by debosky(m): 10:21am On May 19, 2009
This isn't hypocritical - I have not condemned the South Koreans, I am simply saying we must LEARN from their mistakes.

We should not engage in white elephant projects, regardless of the motivation for such.

nuzo:

Have any of those governors proposing such big projects started anything on the airports?
Korea has an estimated 78 usable airfields, 35 with permanent paved runways, and 19 heliports (2003 estimate).
Now, how many does Nigeria have?

You ask the wrong question - how many does Nigeria NEED?

The driver, as brash eloquently pointed out, should be the needs and requirements of the populace - clearly identified and quantified. Building an airport in Kwara is ridiculous when simply connecting the villages to the state capital or major regional highways would achieve a much higher impact.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 10:28am On May 19, 2009
i dnt actually agree with u!!^^^^ mr nuzo

u cant build whatever u want anywhere

i think there are need for feasiblity study and

again ask your self does it worth it?

right now i think there some construction goin on in asaba; i mean airport; so why would anambra seek for one, when there is nearby one

hmmm not sure if all that springing-up structures are environmental condusive

now instead thinkin of buildin one, the state should embark on multi-health care complex

by that way nigeria will be fast on accurate track to G20

u cannot go round buildin airport when there is already one nearby

even in London, the airport arent many, and they are far apart and miles to drive from eachother

and remember god dnt like ugly cuz land are scarce commodity and should be severly utulised i think

so mr nuzo, u idea arnt helpin your comin back to naija as u might have regretted
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 10:38am On May 19, 2009
debosky:

This isn't hypocritical - I have not condemned the South Koreans, I am simply saying we must LEARN from their mistakes.

We should not engage in white elephant projects, regardless of the motivation for such.

The driver, as brash eloquently pointed out, should be the needs and requirements of the populace - clearly identified and quantified. Building an airport in Kwara is ridiculous when simply connecting the villages to the state capital or major regional highways would achieve a much higher impact.
debos, you are right.  i remember watching programmes on S/Korea's surplus to requirement stadiums and other sporting facilities years ago it was very sad.

another mass wahala we have in that our country is the proliferation of the NTAs  and the state broadcasting services in every state. it is so sick.  the money on infrastucture alone is unbelievable. i wish nigerians will know the figures.
ikeyman00:

i dnt actually agree with u!!^^^^ mr nuzo

u cant build whatever u want anywhere

i think there are need for feasiblity study and

again ask your self does it worth it?

right now i think there some construction goin on in asaba; i mean airport; so why would anambra seek for one, when there is nearby one

hmmm not sure if all that springing-up structures are environmental condusive

now instead thinkin of buildin one, the state should embark on multi-health care complex

by that way nigeria will be fast on accurate track to G20

u cannot go round buildin airport when there is already one nearby

even in London, the airport arent many, and they are far apart and miles to drive from eachother

and remember god dnt like ugly cuz land are scarce commodity and should be severly utulised i think

so mr nuzo, u idea arnt helpin your comin back to naija as u might have regretted

benin has an under utilised airport . these are the kind of madness we are talking about.  why must he spend money building airport in  asaba that would be used mainly by onitsha business men?  is he giving warri / effurn business community another one?

these are the curse of politics in nigeria
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 10:46am On May 19, 2009
jjyou

u know this morons na big wahala

they talk like they know when they dnt, their likes are so called advisors in ass-hole rocks

de go sell their papa land to lebasene laterun dem go go dubia, when dem no fit be citizen

dem go come make post for nl how labanese man do finis them

cursed for where!! i will say na monkey brain they get like tipia lipsrsealed
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 10:56am On May 19, 2009
ikeyman00:

jjyou

u know this morons na big wahala

they talk like they know when they dnt, their likes are so called advisors in ass-hole rocks

de go sell their papa land to lebasene laterun dem go go dubia, when dem no fit be citizen

dem go come make post for nl how labanese man do finis them

cursed for where!! i will say na monkey brain they get like tipia lipsrsealed
truth said but seriously leave tpia alone. you all may have issues with her but dont get so personal that it becomes a daily routine eating you up. you dont know her personally.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 11:03am On May 19, 2009
truth said but seriously leave tpia alone. you all may have issues with her but dont get so personal that it becomes a daily routine eating you up. you dont know her personally.

no comment

peace cool
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Nobody: 11:04am On May 19, 2009
debosky:

Yeah, I agree that we should learn from their mistakes but its clear that such warning is uncalled for now as regards to Kwara, Lagos, Delta etc building new airports.
As for the motivation; one cannot even begin to count the gains of these proposed projects if sincerely carried out in nigeria.

debosky:

Am very sure that I didnt ask the wrong question - how many does nigeria HAVE? Simply answer, make sure you include the reasons why the so-called proposed airports are not worth it.

debosky:

I dont see anything wrong in Bukola building an airport in Kwara while he also constructs connecting roads to villages and even top it up with a metro system?
How did you even come to the conclusion that the idea have not been clearly assessed, identified and quantified as regards to the populace?

JJYOU:

debos, you are right.  i remember watching programmes on S/Korea's surplus to requirement stadiums and other sporting facilities years ago it was very sad.

Those stadia were built for a particular purpose; the world cup, exactly the same thing China did for the olypics. Now, can you compare pros and con and tell me your findings? How many people knew or travels to Korea and china before those events and after those events?
Please, there's no need to underwrite the advantages of those stadias.

JJYOU:

another mass wahala we have in that our country is the proliferation of the NTAs  and the state broadcasting services in every state. it is so sick.  the money on infrastucture alone is unbelievable. i wish nigerians will know the figures.

The answer to this problem is easy: The FG doesnt feel it a waste of money as this proliferation helps them to push through their propanga to all nook and cranny of nigeria. The blame should be on the private media like AIT, CHANNELS etc for concentrating only in Lagos and Abuja.

JJYOU:

benin has an under utilised airport . these are the kind of madness we are talking about.  why must he spend money building airport in  asaba that would be used mainly by onitsha business men?  is he giving warri / effurn business community another one?

Very ignorant post you put up here. . . could be due to your bigotry or the fact that you really do not read and  listen before you comment.
One cannot tell how much Delta will be taking home daily from the so-called onitsha bizmen if they even go further to make it an international airport.

Half of the traffic at MM is as a result of this Onitsha bizmen you are writing off.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 11:10am On May 19, 2009
Very ignorant post you put up here. . . could be due to your bigotry or the fact that you really do not read and listen before you comment.
One cannot tell how much Delta will be taking home daily from the so-called onitsha bizmen if they even go further to make it an international airport.

Half of the traffic at MM is as a result of this Onitsha bizmen you are writing off.

grin
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Nobody: 11:14am On May 19, 2009
The proposed airport I dont agree with is the one to be situated in Obosi, Anambra state.
Reasons: no space as that of Delta can serve the businesses and businessmen in the commercial center.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 11:20am On May 19, 2009
^^^^

right thank now u see where im comin from
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by PapaBrowne(m): 11:30am On May 19, 2009
@Topic
As much as I agree with you that many State Governors are just building Airports so that they themselves would be able to fly direct to Abuja, I do think that we need new airports in Lagos, an upgrade or a new one in Port Harcourt , and the upcoming Asaba Airport is good for the Onitsha & Anambra business community.
For those South Koreans, at least they have one of the best societies in the world already! Hopefully someday those Airports would be useful 2 them.

JJYOU:

benin has an under utilised airport . these are the kind of madness we are talking about.  why must he spend money building airport in  asaba that would be used mainly by onitsha business men?  is he giving warri / effurn business community another one?

these are the curse of politics in nigeria

@JJYOU
This is ignorance in action.
Did you say Benin Airport is underutilised?
Benin Airport is now the 4th busiest airport in Nigeria after Lagos, Abuja and PortHarcourt.
Also U seem unaware that Warri has an airport. Warri Airport is not only the Fifth busiest airport in Nigeria, it is the best in terms of the quality of facilities.
Both Warri and Benin Airports are so busy that if you don't get to the airport on time you'd hardly get a flight.
The Asaba Airport is very strategic. Onitsha, which is the largest and most commercial city in the east is just 10 minutes drive from Asaba. When that Airport comes on stream, I expect it to become the fourth busiest airport in the country.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 11:37am On May 19, 2009
nuzo:

Yeah, I agree that we should learn from their mistakes but its clear that such warning is uncalled for now as regards to Kwara, Lagos, Delta etc building new airports.
As for the motivation; one cannot even begin to count the gains of these proposed projects if sincerely carried out in nigeria.

Am very sure that I didnt ask the wrong question - how many does nigeria HAVE? Simply answer, make sure you include the reasons why the so-called proposed airports are not worth it.

I dont see anything wrong in Bukola building an airport in Kwara while he also constructs connecting roads to villages and even top it up with a metro system?
How did you even come to the conclusion that the idea have not been clearly assessed, identified and quantified as regards to the populace?

Those stadia were built for a particular purpose; the world cup, exactly the same thing China did for the olypics. Now, can you compare pros and con and tell me your findings? How many people knew or travels to Korea and china before those events and after those events?
Please, there's no need to underwrite the advantages of those stadias.  have you ever heard of leaving a legacy or forward thinking?  why creat what you only use for 2/4 weeks and leave it as white elephants? naw wao

The answer to this problem is easy: The FG doesnt feel it a waste of money as this proliferation helps them to push through their propanga to all nook and cranny of nigeria. The blame should be on the private media like AIT, CHANNELS etc for concentrating only in Lagos and Abuja.  cant they use one central system like the BBC of this world instead of multiplication at  state and federal levels. the BBc has one central feed to the whole nation with about 4 hours slight daily regionals variations to places wales, scotland, norther ireland and south.    how can you blame AIT and others ? when did the govt licence them?  you think setting up a channel is like having bukar or what?

Very ignorant post you put up here. . . could be due to your bigotry or the fact that you really do not read and  listen before you comment.    [size=15pt]i do not come from delta.  what do you know as bigotry?  dont you seee the huge numbers loosing their lives on benin-onitsha road daily.  why cant he cooperate with the federal govt to do something for the masses instead of your half nigeria traffic onitsha minority. [/size] i cant believe you said that.

One cannot tell how much Delta will be taking home daily from the so-called onitsha bizmen if they even go further to make it an international airport.  yes just like the toll gates made. it is the latest cash cow in naija.

Half of the traffic at MM is as a result of this Onitsha bizmen [size=28pt]Lying wonders[/size] you are writing off.  i dont insult people are you not fooling yourself by this comment?  how many people and how much money is in onitsha that makes it half of MM traffic and who wrote off onitsha?  

it may not occur to you that revenues are shared nationally  can i point to you the education budget of  the free education states of the west in the 80's were mostly drained by easterners crossing over to utilise and abuse what the federal govt didnt pay for.  you cannot tell me how many 100s yorubas and bendel people you saw in your eastern state educational system can you?

[li][/li]
[/list][/color]
i know you are tyrying to be clever  you dont have a monopoly on wisdom. some of happen to have seen white elephants too much. thank you
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by ikeyman00(m): 11:46am On May 19, 2009
haha

o wel
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Nobody: 11:57am On May 19, 2009
have you ever heard of leaving a legacy or forward thinking?  why creat what you only use for 2/4 weeks and leave it as white elephants? naw wao

I have heard of it and that is why the chinese are now converting most of the sports facilities used for the olympics to shopping malls.
Besides, I can authoritatively tell you that the gains of building those stadias outweighs the losses they are facing right now. Am a witness.

cant they use one central system like the BBC of this world instead of multiplication at  state and federal levels. the BBc has one central feed to the whole nation with about 4 hours slight daily regionals variations to places wales, scotland, norther ireland and south.    how can you blame AIT and others ? when did the govt licence them?  you think setting up a channel is like having bukar or what?

No no no. . . I was never in support of those noisy NTA stations without quality. I was only telling you why they set it up; it wasnt because they didnt know that they were waste, but cos it helps them to loot and cheaper to push their propaganda than building a central feed like BBC networks.
Central feed is no kid project.

i do not come from delta.  what do you know as bigotry?  dont you seee the huge numbers loosing their lives on benin-onitsha road daily.  why cant he cooperate with the federal govt to do something for the masses instead of your half nigeria traffic onitsha minority. i cant believe you said that.

Please carefully read your post again, my post then that of PAPABROWNE's for a clear understanding of what we are talking about here.

i dont insult people are you not fooling yourself by this comment?  how many people and how much money is in onitsha that makes it half of MM traffic and who wrote off onitsha?

I may have exegerated on that but it doesnt take away the fact that onitsha market is massive and has contributed immensely to the nigerian economy through MM and other means.

it may not occur to you that revenues are shared nationally  can i point to you the education budget of  the free education states of the west in the 80's were mostly drained by easterners crossing over to utilise and abuse what the federal govt didnt pay for.  you cannot tell me how many 100s yorubas and bendel people you saw in your eastern state educational system can you?

I wouldnt have bothered replying you if I had seen this part first. What a waste. . . sighs
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 11:58am On May 19, 2009
PapaBrowne:

@Topic
@JJYOU
This is ignorance in action.
Did you say Benin Airport is underutilised?
Benin Airport is now the 4th busiest airport in Nigeria after Lagos, Abuja and PortHarcourt.
Also U seem unaware that Warri has an airport. Warri Airport is not only the Fifth busiest airport in Nigeria, it is the best in terms of the quality of facilities.
Both Warri and Benin Airports are so busy that if you don't get to the airport on time you'd hardly get a flight.
The Asaba Airport is very strategic. Onitsha, which is the largest and most commercial city in the east is just 10 minutes drive from Asaba. When that Airport comes on stream, I expect it to become the fourth busiest airport in the country.

your wisdom is just being exposed in the fact that a tiny little place called bendel state can all of a sudden afford 3 airports. what are you talking about?

mr NL avation minister, when did you last use benin airport?   tell us who you think use benin airport if you dont mind?  what business is in benin?  how many flights go to benin from abuja and lagios daily and since you know care to tell me how many cancellations. cos i can.

can you tell the people what benin airport look like 2 mins after a flight.  what else sustains the airport.

you people come on NL talking about building airports like opening beer parlours.  this is nigeria that dont have good roads you are talking about here.  2 minutes from the airport by road each way are some of the most ridiculous pot holes you can get and you come here running your mouth 4th airport

i hate to say this but you guys are talking rubbish becos ibadan and lagos have  bigger business economy by turnover/ people how many airports do they have and you have the audacity to come here saying 1 tiny delta state having 2 airports.  can you hear yourself apart from the tribal glasses you guys on to justify these stupidity.

why not give every local govt  airports and aerodromes because you can spell it
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 12:08pm On May 19, 2009
nuzo:

I may have exegerated on that but it doesnt take away the fact that onitsha market is massive and has contributed immensely to the nigerian economy through MM and other means.

I wouldnt have bothered replying you if I had seen this part first. What a waste. . . sighs
is that becos u dont do truths, re write history or you dont face reality.
nuzo:

The proposed airport I dont agree with is the one to be situated in Obosi, Anambra state.
Reasons: no space as that of Delta can serve the businesses and businessmen in the commercial center.
can you explain why you made the above statement. i tot it would be nice to have airports in every local govt.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 12:10pm On May 19, 2009
JJYOU:

your wisdom is just being exposed in the fact that a tiny little place called bendel state can all of a sudden afford 3 airports. what are you talking about?

mr NL avation minister, when did you last use benin airport?   tell us who you think use benin airport if you dont mind?  what business is in benin?  how many flights go to benin from abuja and lagios daily and since you know care to tell me how many cancellations. cos i can.

can you tell the people what benin airport look like 2 mins after a flight.  what else sustains the airport.

you people come on NL talking about building airports like opening beer parlours.  this is nigeria that dont have good roads you are talking about here.  2 minutes from the airport by road each way are some of the most ridiculous pot holes you can get and you come here running your mouth 4th airport

i hate to say this but you guys are talking rubbish becos ibadan and lagos have  bigger business economy by turnover/ people how many airports do they have and you have the audacity to come here saying 1 tiny delta state having 2 airports.  can you hear yourself apart from the tribal glasses you guys on to justify these stupidity.

why not give every local govt  airports and aerodromes because you can spell it

Sorry if this sounds tribalistic but does ibadan have a bigger business economy than onitsha  
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 12:12pm On May 19, 2009
If Lagos State is amongst the state building airports, I am sure the poster will not find it necessary to write this piece.

I wonder what Nigerians want, what is wrong in building airports? Please tell me, but dont bore me with details like, we need food, shelter bla bla bla.

Someone wonders why they are building an airport in Asaba, what a warped way to think, the other day, I had the need to make a quick dash to Asaba from Lagos, I had precisely half a day, because I have to travel out of Nigeria the next day, so, no straight flight to asaba, nearest Airports are Enugu and Benin, if I fly to Enugu, i will have to drive thru the hell called Onitsha, if I fly to Benin, I only have to drive to Asaba, which is better for me, so I took the option of flying to Benin and then drove to Asaba, if there is a functioning airport in Asaba, I would have flown straight, saving time and money.

It is a pity when people who know absolutely nothing about Nigeria go on writting issues about Nigeria, most of the airports now have flights to them on a weekly basis, you can fly to Ilorin, Akure, Ibadan, Benin and places in the north from Lagos and Abuja etc. Have any of you tried to find out the traffic on these airports? People do fly to these airports, Owerri, etc - why do you peole then just write about issues you know absolutely nothing about? It is indeed a shame.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by desgiezd(m): 12:25pm On May 19, 2009
tosh_acer:

If Lagos State is amongst the state building airports, I am sure the poster will not find it necessary to write this piece.

For your information, Lagos State has already started to explore the possibility of building an airport in Epe.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by sbo(m): 12:51pm On May 19, 2009
tosh_acer:

I wonder what Nigerians want, what is wrong in building airports? Please tell me, but dont bore me with details like, we need food, shelter bla bla bla.

Someone wonders why they are building an airport in Asaba, what a warped way to think, the other day, I had the need to make a quick dash to Asaba from Lagos, I had precisely half a day, because I have to travel out of Nigeria the next day, so, no straight flight to asaba, nearest Airports are Enugu and Benin, if I fly to Enugu, i will have to drive thru the hell called Onitsha, if I fly to Benin, I only have to drive to Asaba, which is better for me, so I took the option of flying to Benin and then drove to Asaba, if there is a functioning airport in Asaba, I would have flown straight, saving time and money.

It is a pity when people who know absolutely nothing about Nigeria go on writting issues about Nigeria, most of the airports now have flights to them on a weekly basis, you can fly to Ilorin, Akure, Ibadan, Benin and places in the north from Lagos and Abuja etc. Have any of you tried to find out the traffic on these airports? People do fly to these airports, Owerri, etc - why do you peole then just write about issues you know absolutely nothing about? It is indeed a shame.

Firstly, why can't we have constructive discussions on this forum that is devoid of ethnic bias? Do we have to put an 'ethnic spin' on everything?

Questions - Why do people continue to write on issues they do know about?

Answer - I think you have to blame the govt for that. When we only read about $billion projects on the pages of newspapers. The decision-making process is nothing but 'opaque' at the very least. In developed economies, most of these projects would have gone through public consultation, which will include feasibility studies, and a detailed business case. The business case will need to be compelling, in order to convince taxpayers that their money is been spent wisely. Even when Politicians want to build infratsructure for the sake of cutting ribbons, it is the role of bureaucrats to provide impartial and professional advice. As an example, if the FCTA or Ministry of Works or Transport had published more information on the planning of the Abuja Expressway, we may not be having this sort of conversation. At the end of the day, it is taxpayers that is been spent, and they deserve the right to know every detail.

For your information, not all infrastructure projects are good projects.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 1:48pm On May 19, 2009
asha 80:

Sorry if this sounds tribalistic but does ibadan have a bigger business economy than onitsha  
ignorance is bliss. it looks you live in nigeria if you dont mind i will personally pay for your 3 days stay in ibadan. i am not yoruba by the way.

you guys should stop using your tribal mirrors on everything.
sbo:

Firstly, why can't we have constructive discussions on this forum that is devoid of ethnic bias? Do we have to put an 'ethnic spin' on everything?

Questions - Why do people continue to write on issues they do know about?

Answer - I think you have to blame the govt for that. When we only read about $billion projects on the pages of newspapers. The decision-making process is nothing but 'opaque' at the very least. In developed economies, most of these projects would have gone through public consultation, which will include feasibility studies, and a detailed business case. The business case will need to be compelling, in order to convince taxpayers that their money is been spent wisely. Even when Politicians want to build infratsructure for the sake of cutting ribbons, it is the role of bureaucrats to provide impartial and professional advice. As an example, if the FCTA or Ministry of Works or Transport had published more information on the planning of the Abuja Expressway, we may not be having this sort of conversation. At the end of the day, it is taxpayers that is been spent, and they deserve the right to know every detail.

For your information, not all infrastructure projects are good projects.

thank you. we dont all need to live in china to know that what china did with the olympics can only be done by a communist state like them.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by oderemo(m): 1:59pm On May 19, 2009
has anyone been to minna airport.? went there could play football on the runway day in day out without the sight of any bird talkless of a plane . ibb. thank you jare.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by DisGuy: 2:02pm On May 19, 2009
Gombe INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT that was completed last year is ONLY used during the HAJJ pilgrims and when the president is coming to inspect or
visit the families of dead emirs or statesmen!

Nothing wrong in building airports but MOST Airports in Nigeria are built using government money instead of private funds,
its very obvious not private investor will build in some of these states with very little demand, the governors should build school
and hospitals instead or invest in agriculture!!!

Some states can actually collaborate one build roads linking the neighbouring states so the other can forfeit its plans for airports
for a certain number of years

why is every airport in nigeria using the word 'international' even
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 2:04pm On May 19, 2009
@jjyoU

whether you are yoruba is not the issue here or the size of ibadan.have you being to onitsha before and stayed 3 days?

Ibadan has an airport but why is that the traffic there is almost the same as owerri?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by oderemo(m): 2:08pm On May 19, 2009
why is every airport in nigeria using the word 'international' even

i wonder oh.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 2:10pm On May 19, 2009
not every airport in Nigeria uses the term international - what do you take Nigeria for?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 2:22pm On May 19, 2009
Nigeria is not a country in which projects are embarked because of need but because of greed,'my people suppose dey among'mentality.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 2:23pm On May 19, 2009
asha 80:

@jjyoU

whether you are yoruba is not the issue here or the size of ibadan.have you being to onitsha before and stayed 3 days?
[size=38pt]mishonu[/size] you hear.

unlike some of you arm chair NL opinionist some of us have travelled and know nigeria apart from our villages and state capitals.  last time i was in onitsha was less than 2yrs.

what  is your point?  it has developed more than ibadan.

maybe you can ask your uncles or boss.  go get the trading figures of both places. you sell clothes, electronics, spare parts, building materials or whatever you think it is only pure water and ogi they sell in ibadan.  go sit down jo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alex Ekwueme Diagnosed With Chest Infection / Restructuring Comment: Southern, Middle Belt Forum, Others Tackle Buhari / Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.