Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Is An Elder Always Right? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is An Elder Always Right? (6535 Views)

Poll: Is An Elder Always Right?

Yes: 1% (1 vote)
No: 98% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Letter From A Southern Elder To Northern Elders... (MUST READ...) / How Ooni Of Ife Cheated Elder Brother Prince Adetunji Ogunwusi To Become The Oon / See How Our Yoruba Elder's Knelt Down Bcoz Of Buhari photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 20, 2009
Experience they say is the best teacher but does it make you above mistakes?

How come we respect elders and their opinions so much even when we know they are humans like us, so they are failable?
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:36pm On May 20, 2009
Asking that question is like asking if one's parents are always right. The short answer is, "no". Asking why we respect elders and their opinions so much even when we know they are humans like us, is like asking why children consult (or discuss with) their parents on many, many matters. It is understood that they generally have experienced more than us, and that there are underlying and fundamental truths in the things that they say. Lamely put, the elders are wiser and have a much more mature (practical and often times, broader) understanding than the rest of us, generally speaking.

Is there a reason why we ought not respect our elders?

1 Like

Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Asking that question is like asking if one's parents are always right. The short answer is, "no". Asking why we respect elders and their opinions so much even when we know they are humans like us, is like asking why children consult (or discuss with) their parents on many, many matters. It is understood that they generally have experienced more than us, and that there are underlying and fundamental truths in the things that they say. Lamely put, the elders are wiser and have a much more mature (practical and often times, broader) understanding than the rest of us, generally speaking.

Is there a reason why we ought not respect our elders?

We should for the years they have lived. But in our culture I feel they are considered untouchable and infallible. Have you heard the sensation that "some" might not deserve such treatment?

I don't think this applies to parents alone. Inside a typical Nigerian family we have a hierarchy mainly based on age. Age is what matters at the end of the day!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by velmaN(f): 10:52am On May 21, 2009
An elder or older person is not always right. Most of what they tell us is based on their experience, and the fact that they tend to be wiser. We listen to our elders out of respect but do we follow what they tell us 100% absolutely not. Yoruba people say "Bi omode ba laso to agba, ko le ni akisa to o"(pardon ma Yoruba). So that is what really sums it up. And in our culture, we have to respect them whether they r right or not.

Is an elder always right, ma obvious answer is NO.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by oge4real(f): 11:16am On May 21, 2009
In the olden days,yes but nowadays, na lie!!!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by oludashmi(f): 11:18am On May 21, 2009
They are not always right but we should be careful to tell them they are not right or tell them politely and they may take the blame.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by cescjay(m): 11:21am On May 21, 2009
nobody is always right including elders excluding God
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by cescjay(m): 11:28am On May 21, 2009
nobody is always right except God
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by luxoire(f): 11:37am On May 21, 2009
Elders may be more experienced in some aspects of the world and life as they have lived in it for long

doesn't meant hey are infallible

we should always respect them until given reason not to!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by kshow1(m): 11:52am On May 21, 2009
Elders these days are not always right cos most of thier opinions are still directed to the olden days when the society was still sane.
Things have really changed nowadays you even feel not asking an elder for advise cos you know what you are asking for was not done when the elder was at your present age.

These does not mean we sholud not respect our elders o, i believe you get my drift.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by teissys(f): 12:17pm On May 21, 2009
NO. They are not always right. People used to think so in the olden days, but those thoughts are gone by the wind now. If an elder tries to impose some olden day rules to that don't seem right I will reason with him until he sees sense in my opinion
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Fhemmmy: 12:49pm On May 21, 2009
Elder is not always right.
Wisdom has got nothing to with age.
And experience sometimes cld make a man lose proper way of thinking.

1 Like

Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by deb(m): 12:57pm On May 21, 2009
In Yoruba land that is the predominant deceit, but I guess its
reduced with the new generation.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:28pm On May 21, 2009
michelin89:

We should for the years they have lived. But in our culture I feel they are considered untouchable and infallible. Have you heard the sensation that "some" might not deserve such treatment?

I don't think this applies to parents alone. Inside a typical Nigerian family we have a hierarchy mainly based on age. Age is what matters at the end of the day!
I'm not all too sure about the bolded part. My understanding is different. I don't think untouchable and infallible are the right words for it (maybe they are in your experience, but not mine). From my experience, the word of the elders is treated with high, if not utmost regard, due to their wisdom and practical, as well as broad, understanding (indicating that there is a definite, fundamental, applicable truth to what they say). Their word though, is not really treated as "the final say", unless it is actually in their jurisdiction to make such a call. So the question of and elder being always right or wrong does not really have a simple, "yes" or "no" answer.

Have you heard the sensation that "some" might not deserve such treatment?
-------- I have not, but as far as I know though, it has always been understood that there are some elders one cannot really rely on. The words of those not so reliable elders can be given some consideration (again, because there is often times some definite, fundamental, and applicable truth), but it often times is not treated with such high regard as that of other more reliable elder.

As for the hierarchy, I feel that the importance of age is more tied with cultural respect, as opposed to respect based on wisdom. By cultural respect I mean things such as, how one greets those who are in older age-grades, or how one conducts themselves in the presence of older age-grades, etc,  As far as I've seen, people in younger age-grades often times still give cultural respect to someone of an older age-grade, regardless of how useful/useless the person is when it comes to knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. So basically, the hierarchy (in my view) seems more connected with cultural courtesy than one's supposed/implied wisdom due to age.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 21, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I'm not all too sure about the bolded part. My understanding is different. I don't think untouchable and infallible are the right words for it (maybe they are in your experience, but not mine). From my experience, the word of the elders is treated with high, if not utmost regard, due to their wisdom and practical, as well as broad, understanding (indicating that there is a definite, fundamental, applicable truth to what they say). Their word though, is not really treated as "the final say", unless it is actually in their jurisdiction to make such a call. So the question of and elder being always right or wrong does not really have a simple, "yes" or "no" answer.

Have you heard the sensation that "some" might not deserve such treatment?
-------- I have not, but as far as I know though, it has always been understood that there are some elders one cannot really rely on. The words of those not so reliable elders can be given some consideration (again, because there is often times some definite, fundamental, and applicable truth), but it often times is not treated with such high regard as that of other more reliable elder.

As for the hierarchy, I feel that the importance of age is more tied with cultural respect, as opposed to respect based on wisdom. By cultural respect I mean things such as, how one greets those who are in older age-grades, or how one conducts themselves in the presence of older age-grades, etc,  As far as I've seen, people in younger age-grades often times still give cultural respect to someone of an older age-grade, regardless of how useful/useless the person is when it comes to knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. So basically, the hierarchy (in my view) seems more connected with cultural courtesy than one's supposed/implied wisdom due to age.

Thanks for answering. smiley
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by tenry(m): 1:46pm On May 21, 2009
elders are not always right, we have  brainless and foolish people[no apology]who always claim to be an elder with little or no sense of judgement when it comes to critical issues.

1 Like

Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56pm On May 21, 2009
Thanks for answering.  smiley
------ No problem.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by solosimple(m): 2:41pm On May 21, 2009
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by AmAlone: 2:43pm On May 21, 2009
michelin89:

Experience they say is the best teacher but does it make you above mistakes?

How come we respect elders and their opinions so much even when we know they are humans like us, so they are failable?

You and who Madame? Ain't got time to respect elders or anybody! them dey feed me?? I no even get time to ask anybody for advise--Never! grrrrrr. . . . I believe in very few things and one of them is, there is always the answer to your problem right inside you! We are jus too weak, scared, unsure, lazy, undecided and unadmiting to make our decisions so make your own decision!

tenry:

elders are not always right, we have  brainless and foolish people[no apology]who always claim to be an elder with little or no sense of judgement when it comes to critical issues.

GBAM!!!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by shawn123: 3:18pm On May 21, 2009
Nope elders are not always right. Why?

1) Most parents will still tell you ATM cards are bull shit
2) Most elders will still tell you to marry from your hometown
3) Most elders will still emphasise on cultures that would always hold you backward
4) Most elders expect you to live life just like they did and also their fathers and fore fathers
5) Most elders dont ask you to make your decisions rather tell you to listen to your elders
6) Most elders dont know that you dont have to be as old as them to be wealthy, guess they have never heard of the google boys, face book boys
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by PurestBoy(m): 6:39pm On May 21, 2009
Elders are not always right because nobody is perfect
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Secretz(f): 7:51pm On May 21, 2009
Nope. . . . most still living in stone age. A lot of them need to get with the times.! grin
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Oxone(m): 9:18pm On May 21, 2009
tenry:

am with you on that
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Realsam(m): 10:13pm On May 21, 2009
No they are not always right but as an elder you don't say he/she is wrong you can only show them by doing what is right even at that you don't have to rub it in their faces because no reasonable elder will intentionally want to mislead a younger generation.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by kheme(m): 10:42pm On May 21, 2009
NO, they're not always right. but more often than not, they are, and that's why they're elders. i mean, elder or not, whoever you go to for advice probably is right most of the times, isn't it? else you won't got to them for advice. let's just say elders have been given that position primarily, to give advices and stuff
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Pepeye(f): 5:00am On May 22, 2009
Sometimes. . There’s really no generic answer for that . . depends on who or how wise the elder really is
And no one yet is infallible
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by biina: 5:38am On May 22, 2009
Nobody is always right, and nobody is always wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Elders should be respected, and experience should be valued.
Experience they say is the best teacher, but it is also a mean teacher. Things learnt through personal experiences are not easily forgotten.
Unfortunately, life is too short to learn from your own mistakes (it is better to learn from the mistakes and experience of others)
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by oluite(f): 10:24am On May 22, 2009
nt neccesarily but most times they sur ar rite
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by adekampe: 10:51am On May 22, 2009
elders have seen it all, ME I BE ELDER!!!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by dlox01(m): 4:23pm On May 22, 2009
well, i used to think the answer was yes, until Maurice Iwu(INEC) showed up!!!!! cry
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by jimmysho(m): 5:39pm On May 22, 2009
ve answered the q in d poll.

elders should be respected for their vast knowledge abt several issues but that does not that we should replace their overbearing tendencies with critical issues that demand the knowledge of 21 century.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Kay1kay1(m): 7:18pm On May 22, 2009
The elder who is always right is the one who knows when to admit a mistake or inadequate knowledge about an aspect in life.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The People Of Alago / Yoruba & Diasporan Black Traditions / Do I Look Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.