Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,788 members, 7,851,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:24 AM

Is An Elder Always Right? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is An Elder Always Right? (6577 Views)

Poll: Is An Elder Always Right?

Yes: 1% (1 vote)
No: 98% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Letter From A Southern Elder To Northern Elders... (MUST READ...) / How Ooni Of Ife Cheated Elder Brother Prince Adetunji Ogunwusi To Become The Oon / See How Our Yoruba Elder's Knelt Down Bcoz Of Buhari photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Outstrip(f): 2:14am On May 23, 2009
The people running Nigeria into hell are elders. These elders are a bunch of shameless, morally bankrupt, agberoitic people you can ever find. So no elders are not always right and in a culture were so much emphasis is put on a group of people always being right you have a situation like Nigeria
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by captured(f): 9:29pm On May 26, 2009
Our politicians and thier corrupt advisers are typical exmaples of elders that are continually wrong. but th ebible says to respect them so what can we do but wait on God while we try to do disaster control in our daily lives
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by iice(f): 5:09pm On May 27, 2009
Some are right, some aren't. . .
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by nuraabi: 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2009
no they ruined nigeria
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by mccloud224(m): 2:33pm On Dec 18, 2009
Elders are not always right and experience has proved time and time again how these "elders" use their age factor to manipulate the younger generation for their selfish interests.As children, we have always been told to respect them.That's fair enough but respecting someone is one thing and trusting the judgement of that person is another.

I'll give an example.I recently got a report than an "elder" in my hometown has "resold" part of my land in the village to someone else.I instantly traveled there to see what was going on and the news proved to be true.This is a man of over 70 years.It wouldn't be wise to lock him up or use the usual 9ja "gra gra" way of doing things so i decided to do it "diplomatically" which involves taking him through the customary courts (village law procedures) and seek justice.The people who deliberated the proceedings where fellow "elders" like himself.They didn't come out openly to say he did wrong and at the same time, they pleaded with me to be patient and that they would "deal" with the issue.The agreement was that he would refund me my money within a month coz the person he sold the land to had already started development.I reluctantly agreed to this.To cut the story short, it's been six months now and i am yet to get a dime.And what can i do?If i do anything rash. . .we all know how that will end up.This is a tip of the ice berg of the things "elders" do and get away with.

The state of Nigeria nko? Who are the ones looting our treasury blind on a daily basis?Is it not the elders?Look at the presidency,senate,house of reps.Most (if not all) the people there are people above 50 years of age.If the younger generation complains, they will give you the proverb which says :

"The young man on the tree cannot see what the old man on the floor sees"

Arrant rubbish! ! !

One of the things killing this country is our culture.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by tanimz(f): 11:54pm On Dec 22, 2009
nura_abi:

no they ruined nigeria

So true!!!
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 1:20am On Dec 23, 2009
In yorubaland,elders are right even if they are wrong.Dont ask questions,use your discretion when dealing with them.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by mamagee3(f): 1:25am On Dec 23, 2009
They are not always right
But, they're often times wiser
. wink
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 1:39am On Dec 23, 2009
Mama-gee
yoruba culture is another when it comes to respecting elders.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by AndreUweh(m): 12:28am On Dec 24, 2009
Elders are always right.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2009
No, our elders are not always right.

Knowledge is a continious process - we gather knowledge from all around us, both younger and older, till the day we shuffle off this mortal core.

No one knows everything, and that includes our elders.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by AndreUweh(m): 2:44am On Dec 27, 2009
Forget that story, elders are always right. Believe it.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 28, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Forget that story, elders are always right. Believe it.

Really? shocked

Does that include the "elders" that currently run Nigeria? cheesy wink
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by AndreUweh(m): 10:51pm On Dec 28, 2009
Elders are always right, thank you.
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 28, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Elders are always right, thank you.

Ah, but you never answered my question.

Am I right for asking you to do so? wink
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2009
I was unaware that "elders" ran Nigeria. . .
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 29, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I was unaware that "elders" ran Nigeria. . .

I'm willing to bet they're older than you. wink
Re: Is An Elder Always Right? by iyapony(m): 9:58am On Dec 29, 2009
@ topic

NO!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Africa's Got The Most Beautiful Black Girls / Challenge To All Northerners: Educate Your People / Jesus! Igbos Existed Before Adam ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.