Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) (3467 Views)

Ford Explorer Or Ford Edge / I Urgently Want To Buy Ford F150 And Toyota Sienna. Car Sellers Pls Contact Me / 9month used 2008 Mercedes Benz ML 350 4matic 3.450m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by whizboi19001: 5:11am On Nov 20, 2015
I will try to go straight to the point. I want to buy direct tokunbo and non accidented FORD or MERCEDES car.

The car on my mind is 2009/2010 Range Rover Sports but I think its expensive and beyond my budget for now so I have decided to buy either 2009 Mercedes Benz ML350 4MATIC or 2012/2013 FORD EXPLORER. I currently drive a 2003 Ford Explorer, so far its the best car I have driven bc i have used it for 7 years without any complain. I haven't even opened the engine for once. I only do normal maintenance, change engine and gear oil at the right times, buy brand new tires after 3 years etc. I am so pleased with FORD that I want to upgrade to the latest models of Explorer.

I am making this post because I know there are many experts here whose honest ideas and advise can save one from disaster.

FOR CAR DEALERS IN NIGERIA OR COTONUE:
1. Whats your best deal for a 2011/12 Ford explorer Limited or XLT? It must be full options, reverse camera, leather seat and most importantly the mileage should me below 100,000.

2. Whats your best offer for ML350 4MATIC full option?

3. Don't tell me about a car that is still in USA as I am not prepared to wait for months. I want a car that is already on ground or maybe your ship will berth within this month.

FOR CAR EXPERTS IN THE HOUSE:
1. I hope the two cars I have chosen are good? Which of the two cars do you think I should buy and WHY? I wont base my judgement on which car does better on gas. Fuel economy is good but I prefer a car that is strong and reliable, I dont mind filling my tank every 5 days.
2. Is there any issues with this two cars that I should be aware of? I currently drive a Toyota Camry I regret buying that car because it goes to mechanic every week. I even imported the Camry from USA and it was non accidented, no flood, just one owner, mileage below 85,000. It was after i bought the car i saw bad reviews online and realized Toyota recalled some of the Camrys because of technical defects etc. Since then I promised myself whenever I wanna buy another car I must come to Nairaland to ask questions.
3. if you currently drive any of these two cars pls tell us your experience so far.

In conclusion I prefer to buy the FORD EXPLORER bc it has more functions like MY FORD TOUCH and I am very satisfied with the old explorer I presently use.
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by Flye: 6:18am On Nov 20, 2015
Where are the experts?
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by yakbauer: 7:00am On Nov 20, 2015
Bro, u obviously seem to b passionate about the ford, hence I'll recommend u stick to it since you're quite conversant with the mechanic and spare parts shouldn't b hard to reach.
I would've recommended the ML 350 but not 4matic coz online reviews have shown that it gives problems that are quite hard to repair, the 2007 version of same ML 350 had terrible reviews esp with transmission, that I'm very sure of, but I don't know if it was fixed in recent versions of same car.
Then second hand value is another thing to consider, usually only Honda and Toyota can guarantee that, but u don't seem to bother (u used a car for 7yrs I don think you'll change this one anytime soon).
Finally on fuel economy (I know u said u don't mind fuel consumption), ford have worked very well on that, surprisingly a full tank of any version later than 2009 will take u 10days (excluding journeys). I seriously doubt an ML 350 will give u that.
My downside to the Ford is it interior, terrible (although I'm an engineer so functionality supercedes aesthetics) and the ML 350 has more prestige.
If you r based in the south-south where rain and bad roads will b pronounced, stick to your Ford.
I'm sure from my reviews you'll conclude I'm a ford fan, WRONG!!! But unfortunately I'll pick an ML 350 of same year over a ford Explorer, only if I'm in Lagos, Abuja (or any Northern state) if I'll b based in the south, ford will still win.
Not an expert though, but try reading online reviews about both cars, hope this helps.
Cheers
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by nairaman66(m): 7:05am On Nov 20, 2015
yakbauer:
Bro, u obviously seem to b passionate about the ford, hence I'll recommend u stick to it since you're quite conversant with the mechanic and spare parts shouldn't b hard to reach.
I would've recommended the ML 350 but not 4matic coz online reviews have shown that it gives problems that are quite hard to repair, the 2007 version of same ML 350 had terrible reviews esp with transmission, that I'm very sure of, but I don't know if it was fixed in recent versions of same car.
Then second hand value is another thing to consider, usually only Honda and Toyota can guarantee that, but u don't seem to bother (u used a car for 7yrs I don think you'll change this one anytime soon).
Finally on fuel economy (I know u said u don mind fuel consumption), ford have worked very well in that surprisingly a full tank of any version later than 2009 will take u 10days (excluding journeys). I seriously doubt an ML 350 will give u that.
My downside to the Ford is it interior, terrible (although I'm an engineer so functionality supercedes aesthetics) and the ML 350 has more prestige.
If you r based in the south-south where rain and bad roads will b pronounced, stick to your Ford.
I'm sure from my reviews you'll conclude I'm not ford fan, WRONG!!! But unfortunately I'll pick an ML 350 of same year over a ford Explorer, only if I'm in Lagos, Abuja (or any Northern state) if I'll b based in the south, ford will still win.
Not an expert though, but hope this helps

In depth analysis!
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by whizboi19001: 10:09am On Nov 20, 2015
yakbauer:
Finally on fuel economy (I know u said u don't mind fuel consumption), ford have worked very well on that, surprisingly a full tank of any version later than 2009 will take u 10days (excluding journeys). I seriously doubt an ML 350 will give u that.
I'm sure from my reviews you'll conclude I'm a ford fan, WRONG!!! But unfortunately I'll pick an ML 350 of same year over a ford Explorer, only if I'm in Lagos, Abuja (or any Northern state) if I'll b based in the south, ford will still win.
Not an expert though, but try reading online reviews about both cars, hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks very much for the Impressive analysis. It is because of people like you that I created this thread.

You are right about Ford interior, my old explorer interior is nothing to write home about, I bought the basis one without leather seats or full options, but it has served me so well. My Camry is full options with reverse cameras and Bluetooth, yet all it gives me is problems. So yes functionality supersedes aesthetics.

SOURCING SPARE PARTS: My brother is a spare parts dealer in Onitsha, so sourcing car spare parts wont be a problem.

RESALE VALUE: Doesn't matter much I wouldn't mind leaving my car for my children to use when they grow up. My father is late but his Peugeot 404 is still alive.

PRESTIGE: Mercedes ML 350 is more prestigious, that I know.

INTERIOR: Ford has upgraded, their interiors are now comparable to other prestigious cars. From 2011 Explorers are fully loaded with lots of features which includes MY FORD TOUCH, parking assist etc.

FUEL ECONOMY: Ford wins it.

LOCATION: Until now I didn't know location matters when choosing a car in Nigeria. I am based in South South/South East so that means I will stick with Ford.
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by yakbauer: 11:28am On Nov 20, 2015
whizboi19001:

Thanks very much for the Impressive analysis. It is because of people like you that I created this thread.
You are right about Ford interior, my old explorer interior is nothing to write home about, I bought the basis one without leather seats or full options, but it has served me so well. My Camry is full options with reverse cameras and Bluetooth, yet all it gives me is problems. So yes functionality supersedes aesthetics.
SOURCING SPARE PARTS: My brother is a spare parts dealer in Onitsha, so sourcing car spare parts wont be a problem.
RESALE VALUE: Doesn't matter much I wouldn't mind leaving my car for my children to use when they grow up. My father is late but his Peugeot 404 is still alive.
PRESTIGE: Mercedes ML 350 is more prestigious, that I know.
INTERIOR: Ford has upgraded, their interiors are now comparable to other prestigious cars. From 2011 Explorers are fully loaded with lots of features which includes MY FORD TOUCH, parking assist etc.
FUEL ECONOMY: Ford wins it.
LOCATION: Until now I didn't know location matters when choosing a car in Nigeria. I am based in South South/South East so that means I will stick with Ford.

No p bro, anytime, also try to check the "car talk" section, I've seen some ford pros there that have worked with RT BRISCOE and COSCHARIS motors, I think as far as Nigeria is concerned, those two companies are front runners, I also work in SS/SE although I'm from the north (hustling things) so I use a 4runner, I had to sell my RX330 to get it, coz if the terrain, I can't use a saloon car in this area coz of the rain, which is usually acidic, the flooding erodes bottom plates, gets into the silencer,corrodes the ball joints of all the tyres (first by flushing out the grease), so I need a rugged and high clearance vehicle, my guy that got the Camry full option changes stabilizer leakage like every 2 months, and a lot of other leg problems including brakes. All these problems are synonymous with the location.
The 4runner has proven to b more rugged than even the Toyota Hilux, if not, if I was back home, Haba na Benz C 350/300 (2008-2010) I for obtain,
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by yakbauer: 11:37am On Nov 20, 2015
whizboi19001:

Sorry to add, a neighbor in a house I usually stay when I'm in abj got his wife a ford explorer 2013, and I also coincidentally stumbled upon the interior of a ford edge of same 2013 just yesterday, it's functionality na die, voice, Bluetooth, etc, but the interiors still looks like it was designed by a soldier, not sleek at all

1 Like

Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by whizboi19001: 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2015
yakbauer:

Sorry to add, a neighbor in a house I usually stay when I'm in abj got his wife a ford explorer 2013, and I also coincidentally stumbled upon the interior of a ford edge of same 2013 just yesterday, it's functionality na die, voice, Bluetooth, etc, but the interiors still looks like it was designed by a soldier, not sleek at all

Chai you just FINISHED ford company. I wish they change or SACK whoever designs their car interiors.
Re: I Want To Buy Ford Explorer Or ML 350 4matic (urgent Advise Needed) by whizboi19001: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2015
yakbauer:

No p bro, anytime, also try to check the "car talk" section, I've seen some ford pros there that have worked with RT BRISCOE and COSCHARIS motors, I think as far as Nigeria is concerned, those two companies are front runners, I also work in SS/SE although I'm from the north (hustling things) so I use a 4runner, I had to sell my RX330 to get it, coz if the terrain, I can't use a saloon car in this area coz of the rain, which is usually acidic, the flooding erodes bottom plates, gets into the silencer,corrodes the ball joints of all the tyres (first by flushing out the grease), so I need a rugged and high clearance vehicle, my guy that got the Camry full option changes stabilizer leakage like every 2 months, and a lot of other leg problems including brakes. All these problems are synonymous with the location.
The 4runner has proven to b more rugged than even the Toyota Hilux, if not, if I was back home, Haba na Benz C 350/300 (2008-2010) I for obtain,

Thanks bro I will visit the Car Talk section I have really learn alot on Nairaland and still learn more everyday.
Thanks once again

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Bank Type 750k / 2000 Accidented Toyota Camry Available 1.2m Lagos / SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!!Tokunbo 2009 Toyota Camry (Sport Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.