Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently (539 Views)

I Beat My Wife. What Would You Have Done Differently In My Situation? / 11 Female Struggles Girls Go Through That Men Will Never Understand / How Infidelity Landed Some Nigerian Men And Women In Hospitals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by omoabobade: 10:55am On Nov 20, 2015
Came across this post on a blog

Last night, I came home from the gym on a bit of an exercise high.

In a random turn of events, my husband had left work early and I took advantage by running to the gym while he went home to relieve the babysitter.

It was about 6:30 by the time I got back, and I was a little euphoric knowing that I had missed out on one of the busiest parts of the day: the after-school rush of homework, unpacking backpacks, re-packing lunches, unloading the dishwasher, and trying to stave off my four children dying of hunger while preparing dinner. It’s the part of the day that firmly falls on me and it felt like a treat to know I got a free pass on the craziness. I had already gotten dinner in the crockpot before I left, so I fully expected to walk in and see that my husband would have taken care of what I always do in that time6....

You can view the rest of the post here http://www.gloo.ng/busyhomemaker/study-confirms-that-men-and-women-view-housework-distribution-very-differently/
Re: Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by bukatyne(f): 11:35am On Nov 20, 2015
STUDY CONFIRMS THAT MEN AND WOMEN VIEW HOUSEWORK DISTRIBUTION VERY DIFFERENTLY
Posted by glooblog in Relationship | No Commentson STUDY CONFIRMS THAT MEN AND WOMEN VIEW HOUSEWORK DISTRIBUTION VERY DIFFERENTLY

DISHES_2353308b

Last night, I came home from the gym on a bit of an exercise high.

In a random turn of events, my husband had left work early and I took advantage by running to the gym while he went home to relieve the babysitter.

It was about 6:30 by the time I got back, and I was a little euphoric knowing that I had missed out on one of the busiest parts of the day: the after-school rush of homework, unpacking backpacks, re-packing lunches, unloading the dishwasher, and trying to stave off my four children dying of hunger while preparing dinner. It’s the part of the day that firmly falls on me and it felt like a treat to know I got a free pass on the craziness. I had already gotten dinner in the crockpot before I left, so I fully expected to walk in and see that my husband would have taken care of what I always do in that time.

What I actually saw was very different. There were half-eaten lunches strewn about the counter, the kids were still in their school uniforms, the baby was emptying out the contents of the cupboard, and the house in complete disarray. I tried to not be a jerk, but later that night as I scrubbed down the kitchen, I vented my frustrations to my husband.

“I just don’t understand,” I sighed, wringing out a dishcloth. “I can never seem to fully get a break — my work just waits until I get back. It’s like I just trade time instead.”

I hurt his feelings, of course. In a moment of frustration that I’m not proud of, I strongly implied that he wasn’t picking up my slack, and it started a stupid and ugly fight that was completely pointless.

And while I, myself, am tired of the same argument we seem to have of who does more, because obviously caring for a family can’t be divided perfectly, one revealing study opened my eyes to what might just be the heart of our disconnect — the fact that fathers frequently think they are carrying an equal load at home, even when they are not.

here are many reasons for this misunderstanding, one being that women are more likely to carry the emotional burden of caring for a family, causing more of those “pressure points” of stress that make you feel like you can’t just take another second. Another is that women actually really do perform most of the household chores. Full-time working mothers are also more likely than working fathers to report feeling “always rushed.” No matter how much a working mother does in a day, it can be hard to feel like there isn’t something pressing to be done.

And there may just be an ingrained difference in the expectations we are brought up with as women — we place a lot of value on how much we are able to accomplish for our families, our jobs, ourselves, and our home. I mean think about it, when is the last time you saw a men’s magazine proclaiming “8 Easy Ways to Get Dinner on the Table,” or “10 Tips for a Flat Belly,” or “Spruce Up Your Living Room on a Budget”?

There are different internal and external ways men and women, fathers and mother, view the world. And a new Pew Research Center survey confirms this point when they asked two-parent families to assess how much of a workload they were taking on at home. Not completely unsurprisingly, 56% of fathers say they share household chores and responsibilities about equally with their partners, while 46% of mothers agree. And while half of mothers in two-parent households say they do more than their partners, only 32% of fathers would cop to it.

The fact of the matter is, we’ve advanced to the point where we know that theoretically men and women need to take on a shared workload when it comes to raising kids and taking care of a home, but there still seems to be stumbling block in how exactly both parties perceive that workload.

So here’s the question: do we just see household and child-care differently, or do moms really do more? And if they do, should they be doing so much? One thing I know is that research like this study can show us that instead of attacking our partners for what they do or don’t do, it may be more helpful to recognize that we simply see our responsibilities in different ways — and then move forward from there.

In my case, I know that I just need to chill out. Instead of focusing on making sure the lunches were packed, and the dishes were done, and the laundry was folded, like I would have been doing in the after-school rush, do you know what my husband was doing?

He was playing with our kids. He was tickling them, and reading to them, and making them laugh those delicious, deep-belly laughs that I can never get them to do.

The truth is, we do things a little differently.

But that’s not always a terrible thing, now is it?

1 Like

Re: Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by bukatyne(f): 11:36am On Nov 20, 2015
This is the full article.....

OP, I don spoil market for you grin

1 Like

Re: Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by tracyfemmmm: 12:30pm On Nov 20, 2015
Nigerian men don't want to do house chores even though the wife is working full time. Selfish!
Re: Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by cococandy(f): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2015
That Na for those who wan kill themselves.
If I can't, I can't.

Stress is a killer. Try to minimize it when at home.
Like she finally realized, chillax.
There's no award for who runs the most perfect home.
Share the work and tell him what to do in case he doesn't see things the same way you do instead of assuming he will know exactly what to do.

1 Like

Re: Study Confirms That Men And Women View Housework Distribution Very Differently by Lawyer7(f): 3:23pm On Nov 20, 2015
Need a lawyer,call 08188861531

(1) (Reply)

The Agony Of Infertility. / 10 yr old Boy Writes "Terrorist House" Instead Of "Terraced House" / Compound Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.