Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names (9574 Views)

Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean? / 7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by iice(f): 4:31pm On May 27, 2009
Na today? undecided
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by tbabes61(f): 10:05pm On May 27, 2009
Gosh! That stuff is so embarrasing, imaging a Nigerian not being able to pronounce his/her name, some people are jst unbelivable!!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by spoilt(f): 11:30pm On May 27, 2009
shesi:

personally i don't see anything wrong with saying your name in a way that is easier for the people where you are to say it too. why not. I say my surname differently than when i'm home. us africans are not the only ones who have to do this in the west. I wouldn't change the spelling though. .

what annoys me is those who use the 'westernized' version back at home. what kinda nonsense is that. like one time in ghana, where i'm from, i was standing behind this girl in a bank queue, and she kept on saying her name in a westernized version. the teller couldn't spell the name due to this, and this stupid girl kept on saying her name (which happens to be a fairly common name ) and giving the teller dumb looks like 'why can't you spell this', i was sooo pissed. and this girl was no first generation american- or euro- anything. trust me, she was born and bred in ghana. i could tell by her cracked heels. lol.

with the kids born abroad, don't be too hard on the parents. sometimes these kids just have no interest at all if you try teaching them their mother tongue. they look at you with that face, the "omg, like, wat is he talking about!" face, lol, those of you with kids here know what im talking about.

also, in the world of children, anything that is even slightly different is recipe for teasing and bullying. so even when the kids know how to say their name correctly, they will deliberately not say it ever.

Oh no! Ghanaian bred chicks have cracked heels? shocked Do they crack bricks with their heels all day or something? grin
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Outstrip(f): 11:43pm On May 27, 2009
I saw this german american woman with cracked heels. She is also a stay at home mom. She does have a handicapped child so that is her main focus. No time to get a pedicure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by bsanya(f): 1:04pm On May 28, 2009
those naija who cannot pronounce their names are just forming and is just 4 effizy.
I think is not right at all not to be a able to pronounce one's name haba it is very bad joo,
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Elizza(f): 12:57am On May 31, 2009
Not all cases are 4 efiizies. I have a cousine who was born & bred in the north. he pronounsed "igbekele" as "Igbeukielue". but when he moved to south he got the pronuncition. BBBBBBBuuut for those pronouncing "coker" as "ceukarr" undecided, they are strictly on thier own tongue.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by bandely(m): 3:03pm On Jun 02, 2009
maxtop:

na today, a begi e don tey jare. grin
:d
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by IFELEKE(m): 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
Agunlejika literarily means He who is upright in the shoulders.
The gun is not pronounced as the other gun which is long.
The name is a royal name in Ijesa Land.
@Topic
I pity people who don't know how to pronounce their names, they are like poeple living on a fake identity.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Badriyyah(f): 10:29am On Jun 03, 2009
When you come across a bunch of idiots who can't pronounce your name properly everyday you just let them say what they want.lol My surname probably has like 10 different pronounciations now. I correct them, but they go with the easy way. It always makes me laugh when they try though. But at least all the Nigerians I know can pronounce it, well except for the British ones.lol
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Ekiti86: 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2009
LOL, denoucing your own race and culture is the new thing for 2009. You can't blame some of these mixed race dudes who don't know a frikin thing about their culture, let alone pronounce their name. When the white man has brainwashed thier mother or father saying that their won race is better and why the hell would they wanna go back to suffer head in Nigeria or Africa what do you expect? They follow what their parents do.

*Pan-Africanism is dying! We Need to Resuscitate it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!****   angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:07am On Jun 05, 2009
Try pronouncing Hwok for example easy one eh. Oyinbo would prolly say Hawk

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrrNOYS65I[/flash]
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by stormy98(f): 10:52am On Jun 06, 2009
Mehnnn, i use to get so pissed off when teachers in my secondary school couldn't pronounce my name right. It was so embarrassing, especially when they would call out my name when i was receiving a certificate or something. Students would just start giggling, i don't blame them anyway b/c the way they pronounced my name was just so messed up. Funnily enough the welsh lecturers in my last university always pronounced my name correctly, infact perfectly.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by BABE3: 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2009
some of my hommies dont even know their hometowns , so shocked shocked grin not being able 2 pronounce name is still ok
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Louisaf: 1:45pm On Jun 24, 2009
Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am trying to work out how to spell/pronounce my grandfathers name - and am hoping you guys can help me!!

I am trying to find my grandfather who I know originated from Nigeria and travelled to London to study Law in the 1940s as part of a Governmental sponsorship. I know my father (his child) was born in 1948 and my grandfather later returned to Nigeria.

This is the only information I have and am trying to find out all I can - the problem is the name we have is Theodore Adjianku, but as you may guess I am not so sure on the spelling of his surname, could it be Adeyanku?? Or Adijaku??

If anyone has any ideas that would be very helpful.

Thanks
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by tpiah: 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2009
Louisaf:

Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am trying to work out how to spell/pronounce my grandfathers name - and am hoping you guys can help me!!

I am trying to find my grandfather who I know originated from Nigeria and travelled to London to study Law in the 1940s as part of a Governmental sponsorship. I know my father (his child) was born in 1948 and my grandfather later returned to Nigeria.

This is the only information I have and am trying to find out all I can - the problem is the name we have is Theodore Adjianku, but as you may guess I am not so sure on the spelling of his surname, could it be Adeyanku?? Or Adijaku??

If anyone has any ideas that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Try to find out more about his name.

It sounds like Ajanaku to me but it could be a lot of other possibilities.

Do you know his state of origin?

However, it could also be a Ghanaian name if the first three letters Adj are correct.

Adjei, for example, is Ghanaian.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Louisaf: 4:09pm On Jun 24, 2009
Hi thanks for that! I will do some more searching!

My father was told he was Nigerian but maybe that could have been wrong?!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by tpiah: 4:33pm On Jun 24, 2009
Louisaf:

Hi thanks for that! I will do some more searching!

My father was told he was Nigerian but maybe that could have been wrong?!

Can you find any documents with the correct spelling of his name?

Or is there a way you can check the school records to see if he's listed there.
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Louisaf: 8:37pm On Jun 24, 2009
Unfortunately not, its a long sad story really but basically an English lady met a Nigerian Law student in London in 1947, became pregnant, gave birth and had him adopted.

I have asked the Universities of London for access to the records but without permission from him or a death certificate I cannot access them, they say maybe they can provide a list of degrees that were awarded in those years. I am guessing and have been told that only a handful of Nigerians will have been present for the Law degrees during the 1940s and as sent by the Government they will also hold the records, I have tried contacting them but have had no luck getting a response.

I am awaiting information from the adoption agency to get details on his birth mother (my grandmother) but that is a long, slow and complicated process and more than likely his birth certificate does not even show his fathers name.

Thanks for your help though and I will continue the search for my roots!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 25, 2009
//
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by tpiah: 3:28pm On Jun 25, 2009
chaircover:

Have you tried approaching the daily papers in Nigeria. They may be able to write an article on your story and some people may come forward with useful information

true.

Knowing what year he was called to the bar may also help. From the little information available, he probably graduated around the early 1950s or late 1940s, which would make him a contemporary of Richard Akinjide, kayode Eso and other pioneering Nigeria lawyers.

Good luck!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by Louisaf: 4:49pm On Jun 25, 2009
Oh maybe I can try the newspapers it could help!

My dad did tell me that he was also told his father returned to Nigeria and became a prominent figure within the Government but was assassinated during a political coup - again we are not 100% sure if this is true but not sure why else they would say that?!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by messoeli: 12:02am On Sep 17, 2015
SubMacGun:
falade = Faraday

them turn me into scientist

lol!
Re: Nigerians Who Can't Pronounce Their names by tpiander: 12:47am On Sep 17, 2015
I've never met a Nigerian who couldnt pronounce his name.

op, you must be mistaken.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Does Not Have A Word For Tiger, Ekun Can Be Used To Describe Big Cats / Investigating Divorce Cases In Yorubaland. / What Is 'traditional' To The Igbo? | Gịnị Bụ Omẹnàlà Na Ányá Ńdí Ìgbò?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.