Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament (1588 Views)

Why Some Christians Backslide And Never Come Back To Christ. / Why Do Christians Hate Homosexuals If God Created Them That Way / 5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 3:24pm On Nov 22, 2015
Many times when I enter a debate with fellow Christians and present verses from the Old Testament to them about some of life's laws and issues that were given to the Jews from GOD Almighty, they immediately give me answers such as "Oh, this is an old testament law that we Christians don't have to follow...." I find that to be quite an interesting statement.
Jesus orders Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) " It is quite clear from these verses from the New Testament that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the Old Testament and did say that every single "letter" of it has to be honored, followed and fulfilled.
The verses of Matthew 23:1-3 were sent to me by a Muslim brother (LISLAM@aol.com ); may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him: "Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3) " We clearly see in these verses that Jesus peace be upon him did not prohibit for the Old Testament to be followed, but only warned his followers to not follow it the way the current religious leaders of the Law (the Jewish Rabies) were following it.
2- The laws, rules and directions on how to live your life:
Now, as for life's laws and issues, the Old Testament for instance prohibits a son from marrying his own mother, sister, or father's former wife. The Old Testament also orders those who commit adultery to be burnt in fire, and those who decide to desert their religion and follow another religion must get stoned to death
(Deuteronomy 13:6-9, and Deuteronomy 17:3-5) . Also the Old Testament orders Gays and Lesbians to be burnt in fire.
These laws were put by Jesus himself (assuming that Jesus is GOD himself as Christians believe). However, these laws do not exist in the New Testament. Does this mean that since these laws do not exist in the New Testament, then that would allow the son to marry his own mother? or the brother to marry his own sister? or a Gay person to become a minister or priest in a church? and if that would be ok, then wouldn't that all be a contradiction to what Jesus wants since he is the one who inspired the Old Testament?
The New Testament did have laws that modified the Old Testament's ones. I do not have a problem with those laws, and yes I do agree that Christians must not follow the laws of the Old Testament that were modified by the New Testament. What I am finding very confusing from the Christians is that they base their life all on the New Testament, and the New Testament does not have many laws in it. It hardly covers any hot topic or issue that we deal with in our life. For instance, the Old Testament has its own laws for inheritance, but the New Testament doesn't.
Now, if a father dies and leaves $1,000,000 to a family of 1 boy, 2 girls and a widow wife. According to the Old Testament, only the boy inherits all, and the two daughters and the widow wife must live under the son's laws and mercy according to (Numbers 27:1-11) in the Old Testament. This law was put by Jesus himself (since Jesus is GOD according to the Christians belief). My question is, since the New Testament does not even talk about the topic of inheritance, but the Old Testament does, then wouldn't it make more sense for Christians to follow the laws of the Old Testament, since both the New Testament and the Old Testament were inspired by Jesus himself?
It seems to me that the New Testament is not a religion, but rather a story of Jesus' life. Yes, I as a Muslim do love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) a lot, because we Muslims believe that he is a Messenger from Allah Almighty. However, we do not believe that the current Bible is the true word of God. We believe that the Original Bible still exists today, but is lost. If you study the New Testament carefully,
you would notice that Jesus' teachings only cover a column and a half of a news paper today. Jesus lived among his people for 33 years, and all we have from his personal sayings are a column and a half worth of words in a news paper!!!
If you look at the Western World today (which is mostly Christians), you would notice that their constitutions and way of life is not Biblical at all. They avoid Jesus' teachings in the Old Testament (since he is GOD himself and the author of the Old Testament), and they almost don't have any law that deals with life in the New Testament. My question in this case, what kind of standards does the Christian religion have? If Christians have to create their own laws to manage to survive life and its issues, then my friend, wouldn't that make Christianity a useless and irrational religion?
Its unfortunate and quite obvious that Christians today made their Bible a useless religion. They refuse to follow the Old Testament, which covers all of life's laws and issues, and they only stick to the New Testament, knowing that (1) the Old Testament was inspired by Jesus himself, and (2) both the Old Testament and the New Testament form what we called today "The Holy Bible" . If the Old Testament must not count for Christians today and they must not follow it, then why is it part of their Holy Book? and why follow part of Jesus' teachings and not all of them, meaning, why follow the New Testament alone and not the Old Testament when Jesus himself is the author of both books?.
Important Note: When a Christian mother doesn't marry her son, does she not do that because the Old Testament prohibits it or because she just wouldn't do it? When a Christian brother doesn't marry his sister, does he not do it because the Old Testament prohibits it or because he just wouldn't do it? I think this is a very concerning issue today in the United States of America. Today we have Satanic (according to Islam's views) groups such as the Gays and Lesbians, He-Shes, and nude people swimming at the beaches. It would not surprise me if brothers and sisters start marrying each others here in the U.S., and still call themselves Christians. People in the U.S. and the West are becoming more and more corrupted with H.I.V and A.I.D.S diseases spreading rapidly among their societies.
Don't tell me "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his sister" , because 50 years ago, we used to say "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his own gender" , and today in California USA, CHRISTIAN men not only sleep with other CHRISTIAN men, but they also MARRY each others!. Same applies for women there. Check this out:
On Jerry Springer Show here in the US (one of the most popular shows that discuss social issues in the country), on Monday 6/11/2001, the show's title for that day was "I am sleeping with my son" . From among the people that were brought on for that day, some sons and their mothers are even planning on having babies! The fathers were in great shock.
Where do you draw the boundaries for sinning? The NT lacks a great deal of teaching regarding these issues. Perhaps the writers of the NT saw no need to mention anything about these issues because they counted on the OT to do the job.
Something for all Christians and their Churches to think about.
My friend, I am not trying to criticize Christianity. All I am doing, is raising some very important and legitimate questions about Christianity and its laws

2 Likes

Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 3:25pm On Nov 22, 2015
Conclusion:
Christians must follow the laws of the Old Testament that had not been modified or replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. Otherwise, if we were to follow the NT alone, then we would have no life laws or directions to follow. This means as I mentioned above, a son can marry his father's former wife, or a brother can marry his sister, or an uncle can marry his niece, etc... since the NT never talked about these issues.
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by dammywapes(m): 3:27pm On Nov 22, 2015
@op are u a xtian or mus?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by immortalcrown(m): 3:28pm On Nov 22, 2015
Before I read this your post, change the caption from "Why Do Christians Hate The Old
Testament" to "Why Do SOME Christians Hate Old Testament".
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by menesheh(m): 3:34pm On Nov 22, 2015
dammywapes:
@op are u a xtian or mus?

Does that question have anything to do with facts presented?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by dammywapes(m): 3:37pm On Nov 22, 2015
menesheh:

Does that question have anything to do with facts presented?
deir s a particular tin i wan to figure out before commenting fully
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by stonemasonn: 3:39pm On Nov 22, 2015
Jesus had personal issues with the Pharisees and Saducees for distorting the laws to suit themselves. Jesus was more of a moral revolutionist, teacher and healer. And his universal teaching is to love your neighbours as yourself.
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 22, 2015
op where is the original Bible? has any muslim boldly come out to show us the original Bible you have? I have been hearing this for age long, no muslim has never come out to show the copy of original Bible. do you believe in the divinity of your Koran that Koran was descended from Allah? if it was true that Koran was descended, why do we still find some Torah, Bible and other books incorporated in in the Koran?

1 Like

Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 22, 2015
Gal, 3:10-14, read these with rapt attention
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by john124(m): 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2015
The only reason behind it is because of the laws and 10 commandment
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by minifuworld: 4:10pm On Nov 22, 2015
elijah2u:
op where is the original Bible? has any muslim boldly come out to show us the original Bible you have? I have been hearing this for age long, no muslim has never come out to show the copy of original Bible. do you believe in the divinity of your Koran that Koran was descended from Allah? if it was true that Koran was descended, why do we still find some Torah, Bible and other books incorporated in in the Koran?
quran is a revelation from Allah and the message in it did not come atonce and it takes Prophet muhd (SAW) little time to received all the messages. In it Allah reveal to prophet muhd that He has reveal some massage to prophets before him and thats include: The Torah for prophet Musa, The Injeel for prophet Issa (jesus) and The Seburah for prophet Daud
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Goshen360(m): 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2015
immortalcrown:
Before I read this your post, change the caption from "Why Do Christians Hate The Old
Testament" to "Why Do SOME Christians Hate Old Testament".
now read
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2015
john124:
The only reason behind it is because of the laws and 10 commandment
so Christians intentionally choose not to follow god
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2015
elijah2u:
Gal, 3:10-14, read these with rapt attention
post em here
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by ipreach: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2015
many sees it as a contraction to the teaching of Christ
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by minifuworld: 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2015
ipreach:
many sees it as a contraction to the teaching of Christ
ok then what are the teaching of Jesus christ?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by christemmbassey(m): 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2015
Bc it belongs to another religion, 'TUDAISM!

1 Like

Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 9:16am On Nov 23, 2015
I have not heard any reasonable response from you guys
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Scholar8200(m): 11:32am On Nov 23, 2015
madjnr:
Many times when I enter a debate with fellow Christians and present verses from the Old Testament to them about some of life's laws and issues that were given to the Jews from GOD Almighty, they immediately give me answers such as "Oh, this is an old testament law that we Christians don't have to follow...." I find that to be quite an interesting statement.
Jesus orders Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) " It is quite clear from these verses from the New Testament that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the Old Testament and did say that every single "letter" of it has to be honored, followed and fulfilled.
While your quote to buttress the highlighted is not in agreement, Jesus NEVER enjoined ANYONE to seek salvation through keeping the Law. Yes HE came to fulfil the Law and while He did not bid the Jews to ignore the Law He clearly showed a lack the Law cannot supply which can only be filled if we believe on, and follow Him:

18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up

22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
Luke 18:18-22

That is why Jesus said I (not the law) Am The Way, The Truth and The Life. John 14:6 The Law never assured any of these.

The verses of Matthew 23:1-3 were sent to me by a Muslim brother (LISLAM@aol.com ); may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him: "Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3) " We clearly see in these verses that Jesus peace be upon him did not prohibit for the Old Testament to be followed, but only warned his followers to not follow it the way the current religious leaders of the Law (the Jewish Rabies) were following it.
Now, who were the audience? Jews.
Was Christ saying that action will guarantee salvation and Life? NO
Just as He paid a tribute which He was illegally asked to pay (because He would not fight for His rights) Jesus was enjoining obedience to religious authorities. He would be the last to incite the people against the latter.

Was the Law the final fulfilment of God's Promise to Abraham? NEVER

2- The laws, rules and directions on how to live your life:
Now, as for life's laws and issues, the Old Testament for instance prohibits a son from marrying his own mother, sister, or father's former wife. The Old Testament also orders those who commit adultery to be burnt in fire, and those who decide to desert their religion and follow another religion must get stoned to death
(Deuteronomy 13:6-9, and Deuteronomy 17:3-5) . Also the Old Testament orders Gays and Lesbians to be burnt in fire.
These laws were put by Jesus himself (assuming that Jesus is GOD himself as Christians believe).

However, these laws do not exist in the New Testament. Does this mean that since these laws do not exist in the New Testament, then that would allow the son to marry his own mother? or the brother to marry his own sister? or a Gay person to become a minister or priest in a church? and if that would be ok, then wouldn't that all be a contradiction to what Jesus wants since he is the one who inspired the Old Testament?
NO. In fact the righteousness we receive by faith in Christ when lived out is of a higher standard. Remember Jesus taught the sermon on the mount? In the OT, no son can marry his sister; in the NT you are condemned if you as much as lust after your sister in your heart sans
ANY physical contact. The OT does not call you a murderer except you kill. The NT calls you a murderer if you have hatred within, not necessarily when you kill!

Besides, the Law exposed the weakness of the flesh this is illustrated in the case of the adulteress-people stoning another for what they are guilty of the only difference being that she was caught, they were not!

The OT appears to differentiate between outward and inward sins, the NT treats both as the same meriting the same judgement.

The New Testament did have laws that modified the Old Testament's ones. I do not have a problem with those laws, and yes I do agree that Christians must not follow the laws of the Old Testament that were modified by the New Testament. What I am finding very confusing from the Christians is that they base their life all on the New Testament, and the New Testament does not have many laws in it. It hardly covers any hot topic or issue that we deal with in our life. For instance, the Old Testament has its own laws for inheritance, but the New Testament doesn't.
That is a mundane issue. Let's keep to matters spiritual and eternal. Unlike the Jews, not everybody in a family will be a follower of Christ hence she/he cannot force laws down their throats - that is why parents write wills and for the intestate, family/court decides.

This law was put by Jesus himself (since Jesus is GOD according to the Christians belief). My question is, since the New Testament does not even talk about the topic of inheritance, but the Old Testament does, then wouldn't it make more sense for Christians to follow the laws of the Old Testament, since both the New Testament and the Old Testament were inspired by Jesus himself?
That Numbers 27:1-11 was God's law to a Theocratic nation on how they should handle inheritance intricacies. Today, inheritance is shared based on either the will of the parents or other means. This is a purely mundane issue that has nothing to do with Eternal Life, Salvation etc

It seems to me that the New Testament is not a religion, but rather a story of Jesus' life.
Thank God you realise this!!! Jesus brought not a religion but Life! HE is the Way to the Father! God NEVER created Adam because HE wanted him to practise a religion!!! HE wanted a man that will share His Love (in the most intense form for which animals were not capable) Image, Dominion, Life, Breath, Divine Nature etc You know GOD is LOVE and true Love fulfils and gratifies itself by GIVING out hence Eternal Love sought for one (by creating man) that HE could Eternally give to!

Yes, I as a Muslim do love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) a lot, because we Muslims believe that he is a Messenger from Allah Almighty. However, we do not believe that the current Bible is the true word of God. We believe that the Original Bible still exists today, but is lost.
Why would you be asked (in the Quran) to get clarifications from a book that will be lost? Since you believe Allah is all-knowing, it means it is established that you MUST need those clarifications!!! And why bid you seek them from a book that is no more? You see by making this claim highlighted, you indirectly indict the Quran too!

If you look at the Western World today (which is mostly Christians),
Name the ones you have in mind. I will rather say they are either secular or non-muslim or multi-religious nations. Besides, before you call a person, or group Christian, ask yourself if such are disciples of Christ in the real sense because those were the people called Christians!

you would notice that their constitutions and way of life is not Biblical at all. They avoid Jesus' teachings in the Old Testament (since he is GOD himself and the author of the Old Testament), and they almost don't have any law that deals with life in the New Testament. My question in this case, what kind of standards does the Christian religion have? If Christians have to create their own laws to manage to survive life and its issues, then my friend, wouldn't that make[b] Christianity a useless and irrational religion[/b]?
Very funny. What gauges this is where you get to at the end of life,and where you stand with God while living, based on your faith. We are not Hebrews! Besides, before the Law in the OT,they had communal principles (eg inheritance were passed to sons, no homosexual dealings,etc ) and there was a basic level of morality but relationship with God and acceptance by Him was always hinged not on religion but faith see Enoch, Noah, Abel , Abraham, Job etc who all lived before the OT laws and yet by their faith and actions/obedience of faith dictated by the former were acceptable by God!

Its unfortunate and quite obvious that Christians today made their Bible a useless religion.
What does that mean? When did the Bible become a religion and who gave you that idea?

They refuse to follow the Old Testament, which covers all of life's laws and issues, and they only stick to the New Testament, knowing that (1) the Old Testament was inspired by Jesus himself, and (2) both the Old Testament and the New Testament form what we called today "The Holy Bible" . If the Old Testament must not count for Christians today and they must not follow it, then why is it part of their Holy Book? and why follow part of Jesus' teachings and not all of them, meaning, why follow the New Testament alone and not the Old Testament when Jesus himself is the author of both books?.
Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Law is fulfiled by the Power of the Spirit in those who believe on , and follow Him.(you cannot understand this for now).

Don't tell me "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his sister" , because 50 years ago, we used to say "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his own gender" , and today in California USA, CHRISTIAN men not only sleep with other CHRISTIAN men, but they also MARRY each others!.
And tell me whose example or command in the NT they are following. At least you call them Christians! If they are CHRISTIANS they would have seen this:
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [by perversion], nor those who participate in homosexuality,
1 Corinth 6:9

Same applies for women there. Check this out:
On Jerry Springer Show here in the US (one of the most popular shows that discuss social issues in the country), on Monday 6/11/2001, the show's title for that day was "I am sleeping with my son" . From among the people that were brought on for that day, some sons and their mothers are even planning on having babies! The fathers were in great shock.
Where do you draw the boundaries for sinning?
Kindly give me ONE passage in the OT that expressedly or impliedly encourages this abomination or an event in which such was alluded to! What? Go read the NT very well! Jesus said, a man shall LEAVE father and Mother and be joined to his wife.

You have NO idea what it means to be a christian and I wont blame you however, you should ask questions rather than making assertive claims.

The NT lacks a great deal of teaching regarding these issues. Perhaps the writers of the NT saw no need to mention anything about these issues because they counted on the OT to do the job.
Obviously you are making assumptions else if you have read the NT thoroughly, some issues raised wont be necessary. It seems the NT you know is the churchgoing folks in America!

For those who are true christians we know what it means when it says:
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
John 1:17

And when we believe on Jesus and receive His Grace, it does the following in us:
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Titus 2:11-13

1 Like

Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 11:42am On Nov 23, 2015
Scholar8200:

While your quote to buttress the highlighted is not in agreement, Jesus NEVER enjoined ANYONE to seek salvation through keeping the Law. Yes HE came to fulfil the Law and while He did not bid the Jews to ignore the Law He clearly showed a lack the Law cannot supply which can only be filled if we believe on, and follow Him:

18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up

22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
Luke 18:18-22

That is why Jesus said I (not the law) Am The Way, The Truth and The Life. John 14:6 The Law never assured any of these.

Now, who were the audience? Jews.
Was Christ saying that action will guarantee salvation and Life? NO
Just as He paid a tribute which He was illegally asked to pay (because He would not fight for His rights) Jesus was enjoining obedience to religious authorities. He would be the last to incite the people against the latter.

Was the Law the final fulfilment of God's Promise to Abraham? NEVER

NO. In fact the righteousness we receive by faith in Christ when lived out is of a higher standard. Remember Jesus taught the sermon on the mount? In the OT, no son can marry his sister; in the NT you are condemned if you as much as lust after your sister in your heart sans
ANY physical contact. The OT does not call you a murderer except you kill. The NT calls you a murderer if you have hatred within, not necessarily when you kill!

Besides, the Law exposed the weakness of the flesh this is illustrated in the case of the adulteress-people stoning another for what they are guilty of the only difference being that she was caught, they were not!

The OT appears to differentiate between outward and inward sins, the NT treats both as the same meriting the same judgement.

That is a mundane issue. Let's keep to matters spiritual and eternal. Unlike the Jews, not everybody in a family will be a follower of Christ hence she/he cannot force laws down their throats - that is why parents write wills and for the intestate, family/court decides.

That Numbers 27:1-11 was God's law to a Theocratic nation on how they should handle inheritance intricacies. Today, inheritance is shared based on either the will of the parents or other means. This is a purely mundane issue that has nothing to do with Eternal Life, Salvation etc

Thank God you realise this!!! Jesus brought not a religion but Life! HE is the Way to the Father! God NEVER created Adam because HE wanted him to practise a religion!!! HE wanted a man that will share His Love (in the most intense form for which animals were not capable) Image, Dominion, Life, Breath, Divine Nature etc You know GOD is LOVE and true Love fulfils and gratifies itself by GIVING out hence Eternal Love sought for one (by creating man) that HE could Eternally give to!

Why would you be asked (in the Quran) to get clarifications from a book that will be lost? Since you believe Allah is all-knowing, it means it is established that you MUST need those clarifications!!! And why bid you seek them from a book that is no more? You see by making this claim highlighted, you indirectly indict the Quran too!

Name the ones you have in mind. I will rather say they are either secular or non-muslim or multi-religious nations. Besides, before you call a person, or group Christian, ask yourself if such are disciples of Christ in the real sense because those were the people called Christians!

Very funny. What gauges this is where you get to at the end of life,and where you stand with God while living, based on your faith. We are not Hebrews! Besides, before the Law in the OT,they had communal principles (eg inheritance were passed to sons, no homosexual dealings,etc ) and there was a basic level of morality but relationship with God and acceptance by Him was always hinged not on religion but faith see Enoch, Noah, Abel , Abraham, Job etc who all lived before the OT laws and yet by their faith and actions/obedience of faith dictated by the former were acceptable by God!

What does that mean? When did the Bible become a religion and who gave you that idea?

Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Law is fulfiled by the Power of the Spirit in those who believe on , and follow Him.(you cannot understand this for now).

And tell me whose example or command in the NT they are following. At least you call them Christians! If they are CHRISTIANS they would have seen this:
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [by perversion], nor those who participate in homosexuality,
1 Corinth 6:9

Kindly give me ONE passage in the OT that expressedly or impliedly encourages this abomination or an event in which such was alluded to! What? Go read the NT very well! Jesus said, a man shall LEAVE father and Mother and be joined to his wife.

You have NO idea what it means to be a christian and I wont blame you however, you should ask questions rather than making assertive claims.

Obviously you are making assumptions else if you have read the NT thoroughly, some issues raised wont be necessary. It seems the NT you know is the churchgoing folks in America!

For those who are true christians we know what it means when it says:
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
John 1:17

And when we believe on Jesus and receive His Grace, it does the following in us:
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Titus 2:11-13
what are you saying? quote me a single verse where Jesus unequivocally told people not to follow the law?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Scholar8200(m): 11:53am On Nov 23, 2015
madjnr:
what are you saying? quote me a single verse where Jesus unequivocally told people not to follow the law?
And where did I say that He did? We are talking here about Salvation and Eternal Life. Where did Jesus teach that they should seek these by keeping the Law?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 12:04pm On Nov 23, 2015
Scholar8200:
And where did I say that He did? We are talking here about Salvation and Eternal Life. Where did Jesus teach that they should seek these by keeping the Law?
now we are coming to common terms... but heJesus orders Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) " It is quite clear from these verses from the New Testament that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the Old Testament and did say that every single "letter" of it has to be honored, followed and fulfilled.

you can't achieve salvation just by believing in Chris alone... you have to follow his teaching
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Scholar8200(m): 1:17pm On Nov 23, 2015
madjnr:
now we are coming to common terms... but heJesus orders Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) " It is quite clear from these verses from the New Testament that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the Old Testament and did say that every single "letter" of it has to be honored, followed and fulfilled.

you can't achieve salvation just by believing in Chris alone... you have to follow his teaching
Salvation is not an achievement! It is received by faith in Christ. As per the highlighted, Jesus came and fulfilled the Law hence those that believe on Him receive power to live the same life He lived on earth. How many laws did the thief on the cross obey? Was he not justified by his faith in Jesus?
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by madjnr: 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
Scholar8200:
Salvation is not an achievement! It is received by faith in Christ. As per the highlighted, Jesus came and fulfilled the Law hence those that believe on Him receive power to live the same life He lived on earth. How many laws did the thief on the cross obey? Was he not justified by his faith in Jesus?
faith in Christ ? Explain that more
Re: Why Do some Christians Hate The Old Testament by Aurelius1(m): 9:03pm On Nov 23, 2015
madjnr:
Conclusion:
Christians must follow the laws of the Old Testament that had not been modified or replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. Otherwise, if we were to follow the NT alone, then we would have no life laws or directions to follow. This means as I mentioned above, a son can marry his father's former wife, or a brother can marry his sister, or an uncle can marry his niece, etc... since the NT never talked about these issues.
You, a muslim have the freedom to post thrash about other people's religion while others can't post in your section without being "forced" by seun to accept islam.

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Angle: 10 Crazy Bible Verses You Will Never Believe Are In The Bible / A Lawyer Presents The Case For The Afterlife / Did Allah Really Command Satan To Prostrate To Adam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.