Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,150 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! (16604 Views)

Sales And Marketing Vacancies / Sales And Marketing Vacancies / Network Marketing Vacancies At Sbt (lagos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by konti(f): 6:28pm On May 29, 2009
marketing makes any bizness reach its peak.so never fear marketing rather embrace it. iam a marketer myself and am not scared of targets.i go for it and at the end od the day,i alwsys come out as the conqueror. grin
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Finecat(m): 7:13pm On May 29, 2009
ochallo:

well this poster has said a lot,i work in a bank presently and i am a marketer, i was recently deployed from operations,im in a civil servant state ,so we depend on contractors and few rich people, my target is 100 million each month, last month i was only able to mobilise 6.5 million(very poor), this month is better than that and i believe next month would be better, i came close to getting a 23 million naira but for some reasons it is being delayed, im new in the state and i don't speak their language but my dear optimism is every thing, i can't leave my job until i get a better one. i remember choosing this job over an oil servicing company that was paying far less in lagos(1000000per annum difference), but i keep my head up and believe that it would get better even in the recession.

This poster is a poster boy for my argument that most bank workers are short sighted. Few years back, almost all the Nigerian youths wants to work in a bank because they see their cousin, neighbours etc, etc driving exotic cars. They fail to see the conditions in which these bank workers obtain the luxuries. Sometime i feel bad for bank workers because they are victims of a cruel system. How could any reasonable organization tell his/her employee to go fish for N100mil in an economy like Nigeria's?? What's worst is that you see bank workers act like they work for fortune 500 companies. They lie about their salary, blindly defend Nigerian banks, act like they are doing you a favor for banking with them. When i told people last year that the banks would be in this situation, they were hollering and yelling at me on the top of their voice. Now most bankers i know is looking for another job. I feel sorry for our bank workers.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by mjbaba: 11:07am On May 30, 2009
Please. what the F is this thread all about

Who is the largest employers of labour in Nigeria today? the banks, of course! without these banks, how manyNigerian youths and graduates will be home or doing some menial job? not to forget the spill over effect of having a family member in the bank.
Nobody complains when their family members of themselves are paid huge salaries and allowances but they they complain when targets are given. if the bank doesnt generate business, how will they pay salaries??, and who the F says

1. these targets are not achievable with hardwork?
2. you must meet 100% of your target?
3. if you dont meet your target you'll be sacked?

agreed there are 1 or 2 banks in Nigeria who are a bit harsh with their Target Policies like
Intercontinental, but I tell you its not as hard as it is made out.

PLS DONT DISCOURAGE PEOPLE. MARKETING IS ALL ABOUT HARDWORK AND DEDICATION. THE MONEY IS THERE IN THIS COUNTRY. GO GET IT AND BRING IT TO YOUR BANK THAT PAYS YOU SO MUCH. ONLY LAZY PEOPLE OR PEOPLE WHO CHANNEL THEIR EFFORTS TOWARDS THE WRONG DIRECTIONS FAIL TO ACHIEVE A GOOD PERCENTAGE OF THEIR TARGETS.

I am a banker with 6 years experience in Operations and marketing and I think I know what I am talking about,
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Redman44(m): 9:24pm On May 30, 2009
There are other intelligent ways our banks can generate business. The plain truth is that many bank managers are not innovative enough. Marketing in our banks should not be restricted to chasing the moneybags and corrupt Politicians. I am not against banks employing graduates anyway. It is a free world, mates. What I'm not happy about is that Nigerian banks are not adding value to the lives of Nigerians. They need to invest in Nigerian youths and use other briliant approaches to generate money. I wont spill out my ideas on Nairaland. I think I should make our banks pay me millions of Naira for my ideas. Afterall, they dont provide their services freely for Nigerians. Cheers.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by mankind4: 5:27am On May 31, 2009
No one is discouraging anyone, We just want the people to know that its not all about money,
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by gyde(m): 9:32am On May 31, 2009
Was woundering though, cos banks in UK and developed countries dont do marketing through staffs running around and sourcing for deposits,what then makes them thick?,it does also means Nigeria could do away with staff marketers,and let their products speak for themselves,the act of sourcing for deposit is as a result of most if not all all bank managers/directors lacking the competence in deploying their resources,hence they concentrate on having high deposit figures to bloat their balance sheets and hide their inadequacies
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by fab1(m): 12:14pm On May 31, 2009
@mjbaba, WORD!!!!!

THE REST OF YOU, D FACT THAT UR DISCUSSING BANKERS HERE MEAN U HAV JOBS THAT ARE TOTALLY BEAUTIFULL AND AWESOME(SOME DEY HOUSE 3 YRS SEF DEY TALK SAY BANK JOB BAD) SINCE U GUYS ARE ALL WISENED ABOUT WORKIN IN A BANK AND JOBLESSNESS IS BETA OPTION DNT LET ME CATCH ANY OF YOU WORKIN IN A BANK IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!! BE LIKE SAY WORK PLENTY FOR UNA SIDE!!!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by konti(f): 12:22pm On May 31, 2009
In as much as i support the bank lending money to start up business and aspiring enterpreneurs, the inherent risk too cannot be under estimated.Where i work,we give traders and other entepreneurs money to start business of which the volume i have signed so far is in excess of thirty million naira.The plain truth is that some of us are not just sincere.I have learnt my lesson and has vowed not to sign or recommend loans anymore as 4 of those that were given loan without tangible collateral just disappeared into thin air. cryTHe bank definitely would not want to hear that some guy with the banks money cannot be found.My people after this kind of ugly incident,would u expect me to recommend loans further without a tangible collateral.I have trusted a lot of people and the end result was just too disappointing.

how bad. cry cry
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Redman44(m): 1:00pm On May 31, 2009
@ Konti

What is the name of the bank you work in? I would love to know because I'm happy to hear that you've given loans up to 30 million naira to traders and entrepreneurs. Just let us know. Thanks.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by seunallday: 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
@mjbaba, point of correction, the bank is not the biggest employer of labour in the country, , agriculture is, followed by the government, in the private sector, yeah, but there are more pple trading in this coutry than working in banks,

for the rest of y'all, your job is ur job, if u  dont like it,, then quit, no one forced you to be a bank marketer, if u r , then try to prove u will be of value elsewhere in the coy, if u dont like ur job, quit and go home,

u pple forget that these banks r not charity organisations, it is not to the benevolence of the baker we owe our bread,  so therefor these banks make money from the deposits marketrs bring in, if that is what they employ u for, den do it and stop complainin, if u dont like ur job, quit. angry
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by laurette82(f): 4:41pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ Seunallday,thanks for that direct but true reply.
Bankers (including yours trully) are not claiming to have the most peacefull and rewarding job we they have to make a living.

If you think that you are not enjoying your job as a banker,please resign and let other get emplyed. There are millions of unemplyed,able,intelligent young men and women who would kill to get their hands on the least paying bank job.

Don`t forget that an idle mind is the devil`s workshop.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Truthonly(m): 9:52am On Jun 02, 2009
Ok I need to throw some more light on this bank marketing topic. Guys, its only in Nigeria where men and women are sent to the streets to canvass for deposits. The true definition of an account officer in the banking industry is; an expert in the client's business field who serves as the bank's eye over that clients' business, monitors and advices the clients as to how best to maximize the bank's funds in his or her business operations.

A marketer (Or rather, Account Officer or Relationship Manager) is actually a professional in a particular industry sector, serving as an adviser to a client's business advisory needs, to ensure the client succeeds in his or her venture with bank funds, not a beggar for money, deposits and favors.

From the description above it is clear why I say banking in Nigeria isnt real. What we now have are Savings and Loans (even though the loans only go to those who already have the money). Gone are the days of the Saving and Loans institutions, they all disappeared because the banks took up their businesses and forgot about their core business of banking which is business advisory and support.

THE FUTURE OF THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR
Do you know the largest bank in Nigeria is just about half the size of the smallest bank in Malaysia. These our financial institutions don't have money they are underfunded. That's why Soludo asked them for 25Billion (which is still far too little). The second reason Nigeria has not moved forward (aside blind and ignorant leadership) is a weak financial or banking sector. See, the banking sector of any nation is the economic driver of that nation. The Nigerian economy is huge and requires real banks to drive it not boy scout banks like we have. The bank owners know this and are only accumulating the wealth they can until the inevitable happens. The bank owners are already positioning themselves for the sellout. This should have started 2009 but for the global financial meltdown.

The HSBCs, CITI GROUP, UBS, RBS and the rest will eventually buy them off. These are the banks that can bring in good spending Dollar, long term funding for training and industrial or real sector development. WATCH OUT!

WORD OF ADVISE
Whatever job it is you're engaged in, grow yourself to excellence. Understand your industry so well that you are the best there is. WHY?, because when they come in, they'll come looking for you. You will be the real banker, advising clients in your industry for the bank.

These banks will not need all the boy scouts who have been running around as marketers, they'll require those who have worked and understood specific industries, they'll need your experience in the capacity of a Relationship Manager OR Accounts Officer to manage clients they will advance huge long term loans to. Get ready, prepare by understanding the business dynamics of your industry, the future banking industry will need you.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Redman44(m): 7:37pm On Jun 02, 2009
@Truthonly

Wow, you've made my day. Thanks for your insightful analysis. I guess you've been reading EUROMONEY or other International Financial Magazines. Banking in Nigeria is a huge joke. I don't have anything against people taking up banking jobs, but there is so much work to be done in our banking system. A good bank should be able to support new viable businesses and start-ups that will in turn generate money for them. Our bank managers are not futuristic in their thinking. They only think of today sad sad I don't want to say much here lest my ideas are lifted off Nairaland by some opportunists who will use them for seminars and Annual General Meetings without giving me credit. Ideas and Intellectual theft is getting rampant in Nigeria grin grin grin Cheers.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by interestin: 3:37pm On Jun 03, 2009
hummmmmmmmmm
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by mrlolade: 4:55pm On Jun 03, 2009
I share your views regarding banking in nigeria. However, i think u guys really made some hasty conclusions. first,as a banker, i know what marketers go tru to get non existing deposit but not all banks practise the unholy trade of dehumanizind graduates. i remember vividly the urgly experience i had when i was with one of the first generation banks in terms of verbal abuse and psychological trauma. you know, today, i am still in the banking industry, still  in the sales department, but more relaxed and better equiped in terms of knowledge and experience because i left for one of the best average banks we have in the country. And in two years time, i think i should be able to attend a course in Havard. I have a driver, a gud apartment, babe of my choice and a great life ahead. the challenges facing our banking industy is a micro reflection of how much we have failed as a country. Do you blame people working there? Each time an old friend whom we graduated 3 years back ask me for money, i feel bad for this country and feel grateful to God for his mercy. Jobs are hard to come bye. just this afternoon, i spent few minutes in front of my tv set and listened to the in coming CBN gov rattling nonsense when asked what he would do to stop abuse of female bankers, you know, the bastard could not say something tangible. he only begged the urgent question. but life must move on, poor man pikin must nail poverty and remain alive. in nigeria today, banking remains the brightest hope for young school leavers. anyway, i hate jumping up in the morning, rush to that God damn office, greet every dick and harry gud morning sir and pretend nice to every lollipop. But you know what, i am bidding my time.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by ramguda: 6:16am On Jun 12, 2009
True true, banks dey kill people everyday
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by goksonjay(m): 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
Banking job is very interesting, but disastrous. I am not a banker, but my wife is a staff of one of the best bank in the country. I know monetary reward is there, but the fact is, is money enough and long time motivation? can money sustain motivation for long? all bank workers must know that for them to move up the ladder, they must be able to time themselves as to when to come in and move out. promotion does not come by qualification or education, but by meeting targets. Most of them cos of this abandon investing into their education to move up the ladder, especially in case they intend to change job in future. so one must be careful. 7-7p.m working hour is another thing.
My advice however for all member of this house is, if you get an opportunity to work in a bank, it's better you grab the opportunity and build up capital over time, timing yourself strictly and adhering to it, then you will discover it's one of the best jib to start life planning in Millenium age.

Goke, Oyewale

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by chinwemeka: 4:46pm On Jun 14, 2009
Well, I have ready through everybody's opinion. Some are borne out of experience, hear say, etc.

I served in a bank as an operations staff, later got a job as a marketing staff in a bank and I have been in it since 2002. I must confessed, I was afraid of marketing at the initial stage but that was where i found myself. I can emphatically say that, that is the only department I want to be in, its full of adventure, you meet new people everyday, expand your contact and as a lady, I have never compromised myself but when it gets so difficult, i pray to God. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going, that is the making of a champion. You can only be a high FLYER when you are resilience. I was once deployed to work as a cash officer for few months, how boring it was sitting in the office from morning till evening doing one thing. i thank God i returned to marketing.

My advice to all is that If you get a job in a bank as a marketer, don't be afraid to take it up, try it out, it might just be the best for you.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by bob2039: 6:34pm On Jun 14, 2009
@lauretta thou we experienc peace doesnt mean others do o, wel @ poster and others sum1 must work in bank, am in d banking sector i knw is challenging and u knw life is all abt challenges, as an operator i am given target 2 but no1 has being sackd 4 not meeting target, 4 GOd sake without targets how wld ppl be put on their toes?see if u got a job in ngr bank and u reject it tells u just cant face chalenges in any industry, nd to inform u today banking is diff 4rm d era bankers slep in office, wel be proud of whateva u do, thanks
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by routsz: 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2009
@ben4, @konti.

yours make sense. Thankx a whole lot!
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by lourash(m): 12:35pm On Aug 03, 2009
if you ask me, i guess i would say a job is a job, though there are some jobs that are less stressful than others but check it,it there any normal job that does have its own hazards? yes i work in a bank though am not in marketing but what would you do after feeding from mummy, daddy and siblings for months and years, tell me would one reject such job that could solve some out of your problems and maybe create a new one tagged TARGET. the issue has to really do with the nation, there is gross lack of professionalism in the first place why do we have some people study the course called marketing in the universities if engineers are also going to end up being marketers ? thats is why some sectors of the economy has not been developing in the past years as we still have same old hands there while the supposed new ones are out on the street begging people to open 5k accounts.
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by lourash(m): 12:43pm On Aug 03, 2009
[quote][/quote]
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by damjop: 11:27am On Nov 19, 2009
I recently got a Marketing job with UBA but didn't resume with them. During the last interveiw i was asked to specifically state the names of prospective clients who will open large accounts with thee bank; they even requested i market the owner of the company i was to leave in order to join them. My sister advised me agaisnt it saying that it's easy to get a marketing job but difficult to keep one. God help us, no wonder bank marketers do abosolutely anything to get funds in.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2009
I thank for being able to stand on the ground when I was given an offered by one of banks. When they said marketing I made up my mind not to go ahead.

When I look at the target, I was marvel on how far I can go.

I work in enveroment that allows me to have a rest of mind.

All the best for people in that jungle
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by JoeGaruba: 7:31pm On Mar 03, 2010
Its pros vs cons. However, there is overwhelming evidence that banks are using the carrot before the donkey to get their targets met. The donkey rider gets where they want but the donkey never eats the carrot

Its quite unrealistic to set targets of hundreds of millions for workers in such economy. Like one or more posters have said, what do they do with all these funds to improve our economy? In the rest of the world, they would issue loans at rates that make sense. Who can afford the interest rates and the hidden service charges that will nick you at each transaction. I will not be surprised if they start charging you for depositing cash.

We have a long way to go in 9ja. I turned down a bank offer too for an engineering job that paid like 30% less. Money should not be the only consideration for taking a job. Quality of life and sound working environment mean more to me. There is nothing as good as looking forward to go to work on Monday. I wonder how many bankers do,

However, if it is all you have to look forward to, Na God I take beg you, develop a thick skin and go through the motions. Even if not for the money, for the experience. Gaps in your resume also count against you if you will be looking for a job. its a demonstration of your "hire-ability" if there is such a word,  You may even meet people that may open doors to you.

May God help us all.

Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by mee2: 9:46am On Mar 04, 2010
FROM THE REPLIES ON THIS THREAD, IT IS CLEAR THAT NIGERIANS HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT THEIR CAPACITIES TO SUCCEED. WHAT IS YOUR CAREER OBJECTIVE ANYWAY? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO UNDERGO UNIVERSITY EDUCATION? WAS IT JUST TO GET A JOB? WHAT IS YOUR PASSION, AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO DEVELOP YOURSELF TO BECOMING THE BEST YOU CAN BE? THE LEAST THING YOU NEED TO BE FINANCIALLY FREE IN THIS COUNTRY IS MONEY.
WHAT YOU NEED IS IDEAS. THESE BANKS ARE USING YOU TO BUILD THEIR FORTUNE AND FULFILL THEIR DREAMS, AND YOU ARE SAYING "WETIN PERSON GO DO NAHHH" IF YOU KNEW YOUR WORTH, YOU WILL NOT SETTLE FOR LESS

YOU MUST REALIZE YOU ARE AN ASSET. YOU ARE RELEVANT, THE ONLY ROLE YOU MUST PLAY IS TO DISCOVER YOURSELF. THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR YOU. WHEN YOU LOOK AROUND YOUR ENVIRONMENT YOU WILL SEE PROBLEMS. NOW THOSE ARE OPPORTUNITIES. SEIZE THEM AND MAKE SOME MONEY FOR YOURSELF. THAT IS THE CAPITAL. BUT REMEMBER YOU NEED IDEAS TO GET THAT MONEY AND MAKE IT KEEP ROLLING IN. MAKE THAT MONEY AND WATCH THESE BANKS RUNNING BACK AT YOU. BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE!!!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

Jeans Communication, Gbagada
jeanscommunication(@)mail.com
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by Payday2day: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2010
All marketing staffs in the country,if called out will fill to say the least, a stadium,including overflow.

If something happens and banks relieve all of them, i mean all of them of their jobs,what exactly will be the tune of this thread.
Will the world be a better place? I must say every one doing this job has one thing on their mind, openning a big account and managing the huge transactions therein! That's when the job will be fun to wake up to while waiting for a big personal break.

Someone happiliy manages accounts like Mobil,MRS,Shell,Flour mills etc, the job includes ensuring all goes well for both the company and its staffs. It's very hectic as well. The system of banking has made it necessary for every single company in the country to rely on the services of these marketers for best results and since the country does not have one uninfied bank[/b]impossible though, everyone wants a share of everyone's purse!
So we all need them so to speak.

Some oil workers go underneath waters or live i fear of kidnap, miss their families for months, some engineering jobs are as tough, some personal businesses have their lows, even church workers have a story to tell, Some other units in banks work in enclosures, their lifes are 95% regulated at work, some have no access to their telephones and may have to take off their shoes! Human beings clean toilets, some die in plane crashes doing luxury jobs.

[b]Some just get i easy in life!

It's a whirlwind world, just thank God for who you are, whatever you find yourself to do and focus on your own big dream. wink
Re: Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks! by iseeicome: 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
Function of Commercial Banks
According to Orjih John in his “Banking operation in Nigeria commercial banks performs a variety of function which are worthy of note. These banks provide range of services to satisfy the financial needs of all types of customers from smallest personal account holder to the big corporate and public organization.
http://articlesng.com/function-commercial-banks/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vacancies At Akwa Ibom State College Of Education / Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? / National Orientation Agency(noa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.